Change ahead for the Maple Leafs

leafssteen

I wanted to see what people thought about this article. In the article it says taking Nylander over Ehlers in last years draft was a huge mistake what do you think? Also what are your thoughts on the 2005 trade where the leafs got rid of rask and picked up Raycroft? Lets discuss

https://hoticeblogs.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/change-ahead-for-the-maple-leafs/

I personally wish nothing but the worst upon the leafs. I do think they should trade Kessel and Phaneuf, as it would be beneficial for both of their careers and in turn start a REAL rebuild, instead of this pretender-limbo they've been in for seasons now. 

I have a feeling they won't do that though, and the Leafs will continue to be mediocre at best, which is fine with me.

I'll talk about this blog piece by piece:

- stripping phaneuf of the C: He's in Toronto something like that while he is still on the team the media would have a field day with. As the Toronto media is stupid. Look at the attention San Jose got when they stripped the C off here. Now magnify it by 1000% because its the Maple Leafs. The best way and to not create drama in Toronto is to trade Phaneuf and not award the C after

- Keeping Nylander down with the future of the Maple Leafs is good. Toronto has a history of rushing prospects and now with "scorch earth" there is no need to rush them. Patience and let them grow, protect him from the media I mentioned in point one as they don't go after the kids in the AHL. He gets to grow and experience a positive as the Marlies battle for the playoffs. That makes more sense then giving him player killer Horchek

- Rask being dealt. I saw the trade myself when I was in school and hated it as I knew Rask was the future of the Leafs but they moved him so easily for a 'rebuild project' best way I could explain it to anyone who asked me why they would do the trade. At the time the Canadian media was loving Pogge who was coming off a huge World Jrs and essentially made his stock stupidly high to the average fan. Other than that you'll make me scream for rehashing old memories I cannot change. So no point in dwelling on it

- I am hoping to see what the Leafs can move Kessel for. Would really accelerate the rebuild big time. I'm not expecting as big of a return as Boston got for Kessel because at the time of the trade they were picks between 1-30 where now we go into the draft we know exactly where the pick is giving it that much more weight. Kind of interested to see what happens with management and coaching. The only perk is Toronto has SOME (not a lot) but some nice pieces to move forward with in the rebuild and some good assets to move to get the ball really rolling if we can hire someone competent enough to make the trades.

This off season should be fun for Leaf fans as I've been wanting this team to go through a rebuild for a while. 

I think your blog looks cool enough for you to stay here! Why not right? Regarding the Leafs, the franchise is doomed with negative attention and it actually hurts their players more than any other franchise.

I think your blog looks cool enough for you to stay here! Why not right? Regarding the Leafs, the franchise is doomed with negative attention and it actually hurts their players more than any other franchise.

The media runs the Maple Leafs..

As a Leafs fan I hope that this new group of management turns it around but history doesn't support them 

The media runs the Maple Leafs..

As a Leafs fan I hope that this new group of management turns it around but history doesn't support them 

Yeah thats a portion of what I was saying, I just was pretty vague. The media is a two headed animal that the players can't kill, even if Rick Grimes, Chuck Norris and Tony Stark (VHL version) were on their team.

I'm a huge Leafs fan. To put it into perspective I watched pretty much every Leaf game this season, even after the all-star game.. Not because of enjoyment, just habit. But yeah, I almost feel battered down on the topic of what they need to do.. But here are my thoughts.

Freddie the goat is the future of the Leafs

No. He is like every other 1st Round pick they still own, a very conservative pick with very small upside. He'll be a good player, but probably peak as a 3rd liner with PK time.. I'm sorry but you don't need to draft that in the first round. Stu Percy, Tyler Biggs, Brad Ross etc etc, Leafs continue to go the safe route, or give up on the riskier picks..

As for Dio, he needs to be moved. There's no way he is a Leaf without the "C" on his jersey.. Mainly because he won't make it out of the off-season. No need to strip him of it and cause another shitstorm in Toronto.. There's nothing to lead anyways, just let him leave and vacate the captaincy from there.

As for Nylander, how are we writing him off already? How is a back-to-back 100 point season in the Q enough to basically start the Rask for Raycroft talk? This is exactly what is wrong with the Leafs and their fans. We are ready to start kicking ourselves over a pick when both haven't even played in the NHL yet? Ehlers is a great player, but Nylander is a great player too. In 6-7 years we will look back and won't be disappointed with that Nylander pick (I don't think at least). Like I said before, the Leafs like to make the safe pick, this is one of the first picks in a long time they made in the first round that I really liked.

As for Babcock, I doubt he'll come here.. There's really no reason for him to want to come here, and really no reason we should want him "that" bad. Of course he knows how to win, but he hasn't proven he can teach young kids how to be professionals through a rebuild. He's had a veteran core for years that have mentored young players and groomed them to win.. What he's gonna rely on Kessel or Lupul or Bozak to mentor young players? He'd be smart to sign elsewhere, and we'd be smart to spend those big bucks on a coach a few years in the future. Get a proven developmental coach, don't just go for the big names (Carlyle and Wilson both had a great rep before Toronto lol).

Leafs should just let don cherry take over all management positions. He said when Burke was their the reason why they didn't win was because they didn't drafted players from the O. Then burke learned and now look at Calgary.

#GrapesKnows

Edited by Brovy

Leafs should just let don cherry take over all management positions. He said when Burke was their the reason why they didn't win was because they didn't drafted players from the O. Then burke learned and now look at Calgary.

#GrapesKnows

Grapes couldn't even win an OHL championship as a manager.. But we should throw the keys to him?

He ran the Icedogs in 01-02 to a 11-47-6 record because of his drafting and coaching style. Keep Cherry away or Toronto may as well just live in rebuild for forever

#GrapesKnows

What? Burke has had 0 to do with the success of the flams.

Ur so stewpid how r u ewen 10 yrs old