Arizona Coyotes Possibilities

Kendrick

Moving Around  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So up to this point I know that the move may not even happen. However, I'd love to see the reactions of people who have an opinion over what happens. If the Arizona Coyotes were to move from Arizona where is the most logical choice. Now factor in more than just fan interest, because it is a business and that's essential what failed many franchises in the past. Think regarding sponsorship, arena/stadium proposals and size of the home city.

Seattle, Washington - The Emerald city is home to a very very enthused fanbase of all sports. The Seahawks rule the area but the Mariners are a hot ticket as well. The Sonics were partially wrongly moved to Oklahoma City (which turned out alright). This city does have a passion and do back their franchises no matter what the sport is. It is up north and does provide a bit of carryover from the Canucks fanbase. They have the sponsorship, but the issue is an unbuilt arena but a couple proposals at that.

Las Vegas, Nevada - The Sin city has had it's name pop up several times in discussion, even at the time of the Atlanta Thrashers move with Jim Balsillie's name being at the forefront. The sponsorship is there and obviously the money to fund them is also there. The arena is a huge question mark at this stage as as of now I have not even seen a proposed arena plan. The fanbase is a question mark as well considering the Las Vegas population per day varies on tourists visits.

Kansas City, Missouri - The franchise the used to have in the NHL is now home in New Jersey (after a move to Denver initially). That was the 70's though and now it is a different city. A growing community with a passion for sports, but how many season ticket holders would a team like this get. Sponsorship would be somewhat of a question mark considering it's a similar market to Dallas. I have yet to see a stadium proposal for this.

Quebec City, Quebec - They sued to have a team which now is located in Colorado and doing well down there. The stadium proposal for a Quebec City team was outstanding and might have been the best one yet with Seattle at an even field. The sponsorship would come, much like the Jets did. The fanbase is passionate, but also was part of the reason they lost money last go around and they moved away.

If you have another suggestion, just list why and where it is. Would love to see a business discussion and not solely a biased one based on location. 

Phoenix wouldn't need the new arena, the same crew would be hired and would come in to do Coyotes games at the same place where the Phoenix Suns play. That has been suggested by the city already if I remember correctly.

Seattle, Washington - The Emerald city is home to a very very enthused fanbase of all sports. The Seahawks rule the area but the Mariners are a hot ticket as well. The Sonics were partially wrongly moved to Oklahoma City (which turned out alright). This city does have a passion and do back their franchises no matter what the sport is. It is up north and does provide a bit of carryover from the Canucks fanbase. They have the sponsorship, but the issue is an unbuilt arena but a couple proposals at that.

Las Vegas, Nevada - The Sin city has had it's name pop up several times in discussion, even at the time of the Atlanta Thrashers move with Jim Balsillie's name being at the forefront. The sponsorship is there and obviously the money to fund them is also there. The arena is a huge question mark at this stage as as of now I have not even seen a proposed arena plan. The fanbase is a question mark as well considering the Las Vegas population per day varies on tourists visits.

1) I wouldn't say the Mariners are a hot ticket, but definitely fun to attend.  Soccer is probably a better draw there.  I do know a lot of people who would die for this opportunity...  I'm assuming Key Arena isn't suitable for anything more than a WNBA team now though :P  Supposedly the big issue in SEA is that the city has a MOU with potential owners blocking an NHL team until an NBA team comes.  So the likely scenario, if they do move a team there, will be on the east side of the sound.

2). Arena has never been a question, I literally saw one being built when I was there in May http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/aeg-mgm-resorts-international-offer-first-look-arena-las-vegas-strip.

1) I wouldn't say the Mariners are a hot ticket, but definitely fun to attend.  Soccer is probably a better draw there.  I do know a lot of people who would die for this opportunity...  I'm assuming Key Arena isn't suitable for anything more than a WNBA team now though :P  Supposedly the big issue in SEA is that the city has a MOU with potential owners blocking an NHL team until an NBA team comes.  So the likely scenario, if they do move a team there, will be on the east side of the sound.

2). Arena has never been a question, I literally saw one being built when I was there in May http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/aeg-mgm-resorts-international-offer-first-look-arena-las-vegas-strip.

1. Yeah in fact I came across an article a year ago saying east of the sound would be the most logical. I also heard about that NBA style deal, but given the politics behind it, it may be forced.

2. Course you were there in May haha. Probably at titty bars with David Letterman.

Portland may not be a bad option either.

Paul Allen probably has more interest in landing one where his current NBA team plays instead of paying for a new stadium where he doesn't have one...  Unless he wants to own two NBA teams?

2. Course you were there in May haha. Probably at titty bars with David Letterman.

I had a free titty bar in my room  :cheers:

Edited by frescoelmo

• 3 weeks later...

For Seattle: The Sounders have the biggest fanbase of the MLS and by far, the way they fill up the CenturyLink Field each game is amazing. If they had an arena where to play, they would definitely have my vote.

I just don't see how hockey could work in Vegas. There's Cirque du Soleil, Celine Dion, UFC etc.. to compete with, how is hockey going to compete with this. Las Vegas will probably don't even have a fanbase, the place will be filled with tourists and that's it. ^^

Quebec is, by far, the best fit right now. New arena (already built and ready in September), already a big rivalry with Montreal, imo would sold the place out each game for at least the first season. Nordiques are just like the Expos here in Montreal, fans and the city have shown their interest and the first season back will be a HUGE success, but the team is going to have to be good for both teams to keep most of their fanbase.

Edited by FueledByRamen

For Seattle: The Sounders have the biggest fanbase of the MLS and by far, the way they fill up the CenturyLink Field each game is amazing. If they had an arena where to play, they would definitely have my vote.

I just don't see how hockey could work in Vegas. There's Cirque du Soleil, Celine Dion, UFC etc.. to compete with, how is hockey going to compete with this. Las Vegas will probably don't even have a fanbase, the place will be filled with tourists and that's it. ^^

Quebec is, by far, the best fit right now. New arena (already built and ready in September), already a big rivalry with Montreal, imo would sold the place out each game for at least the first season. Nordiques are just like the Expos here in Montreal, fans and the city have shown their interest and the first season back will be a HUGE success, but the team is going to have to be good for both teams to keep most of their fanbase.

They sold out a good number of pre season ticket holder stuff when they were rallying to get a team. Listen I agree Vegas is tough, but it can totally work. How and why? Las Vegas has no sports team going. None. Nothing. Being the first sports team in a big economic hot spot where you get a lot of tourism and you have seen interest from the locals (a good 10,000+ bought advanced season tickets for a potential team). Will it be as big of a market as Toronto or any Canadian city? No. But it certainly will be more of a hot ticket than teams like Florida and Arizona imo. 

Vegas, Seattle and Portland would keep alignment intact, so just a question for those that know more then me(fucking everybody,lol). Quebec would mean re-alignment, so how likely is it that the NHL would do that, and would the NHL lose possible expansion fees by relocating the Coyotes to a market like that, instead of having a completely new franchise? I read about a possible $500 Million fee.

Quebec has failed on franchises before, which is a reason the NHL has been very very skeptical of it every since. Expos, Nordiques...etc. They'd need more than one season of guaranteed season ticket holders, they'd need three.