SEA/TOR ; S43 off-season

Higgins

Hasn't this happened before where Mike became GM of a team as a draftee? Pretty sure Riga was forced to use a 2nd round pick in his draft to acquire him. Toronto shouldn't get anything and Seattle should lose a 1st, in my opinion.

Yes it has. It was pretty stupid then that they only had to give up a second, and it's even worse that this time they are giving up just a third.

Wow.. I graciously accept your compliment and raise you one of my own.

You're fat. 

Thank you, thank you

in my village, it means that I'm a good hunter. I can feed all the tribe. 

I'm all for fair compensation and the whole third for the rights for me does kind of seem like rubbing salt into an open wound. The truth of the matter though is Seattle has no draft picks and other teams have acquired GMs for little compensation as well. Say you sign a player via free agency then name him GM where's the fairness there?

I'm all for fair compensation and the whole third for the rights for me does kind of seem like rubbing salt into an open wound. The truth of the matter though is Seattle has no draft picks and other teams have acquired GMs for little compensation as well. Say you sign a player via free agency then name him GM where's the fairness there?

If a player is a free agent they are free to do what they please. How is that unfair? Teams lose players to free agency all the time, even key players. It makes no difference what that player goes on to do within the new team since they left their previous team according to the rules. 

If a player is a free agent they are free to do what they please. How is that unfair? Teams lose players to free agency all the time, even key players. It makes no difference what that player goes on to do within the new team since they left their previous team according to the rules. 

And Toronto lost Mike to retirement, so why does it really matter? 

Toronto isn't losing anything they aren't already losing. I'm so confused as to how this is an issue or why Seattle would need to pay anything for someone who is retired.

He is done and gone right? That was his last season? So he doesn't have a player and isn't on a team - so why would he need to be traded for?

This is interesting, it will probably end up as it's being laid out here, which is inconsequential considering there's not enough players for a third round, but I'm interested to see if some of the reaction changes any of these plans. 

The only point that I'd bring up is that the argument of "Seattle doesn't have any draft picks" isn't true. I don't have an opinion on how this should be dealt with as it means nothing to me, but considering Season 45 picks were traded just hours after the conclusion of the Season 42 finals, surely the Bears are in possession of Season 46 picks at this point?

Edited by YEAH!

That is true but its a scenario that can be created or exploited to bring in a GM for free. It shouldn't be some franchises get GMs for free and others pay hefty prices. At the same time though some players get traded a couple seasons before they take over as GM for say multiple firsts. It's a delicate situation and there's been no 1 right answer.

We also both no free agency isn't generally an equal playing field.

Edited by Mike

• Head Moderator

This goes back to my point, why must a GM have their player on their own team only?

The only other reason before was that GM players could hold out against other teams to force trades or whatnot or a team could hold a GM hostage through their player. But honestly if stuff like this pops up, how is it any different?

We should do away with the whole GM player on same team rule.

FA is a bad way to get GMs as well in my opinion. It has elements of tampering, especially if discussions are ongoing prior to that player hitting free agency.

There should be some sort of committee overseeing transitions, because, as Mike said, sometimes teams get free pieces added to help their team (Seattle just won a championship, remember) while others have to pay a price.  Ideally, GM transition happens within the same team and doesn't help or hurt the team except from a management perspective.