Giving sim leagues one more shot!

Renomitsu

Hey all,

Played in Madden Madness, briefly played in the 15th-ish to the 20th-ish season of VHL.

Nothing's set in stone yet, but I had fond memories of participating in sim leagues before college, and I feel as though it's time again to give it another shot.

I've always had a player named Hiro Renomitsu, once as a CB and once as a defenseman. My time is still slightly tighter than it was back in my MM/VHL days, but I'm looking forward to making a positive impact on the community & league as a whole.

Renomitsu

I remember the name, you were part of the Helsinki cup winning team in Season 22 right before I was drafted to Helsinki with my first player.

Welcome back, like they said above be sure to check the welfare/pension and if you have any questions we will help since you've been gone 20 seasons now.

I remember at one point you were kind of a legend because you were inactive yet your player had a shit-ton of hits or something and was a pretty good defenseman.

Also, you were drafted ahead of me in S16.

Also, we were both drafted ahead of Scrub Jardy in S16.

• Admin

Hello there! I drafted you to New York in S16, then we won the cup in S18 (you were the inactive very sung hero) and then later I wrote this fake HOF article titled "Hiro Renomitsu HOF/Legend/Can not be fucking described that's how amazing he was":

D – Hiro Renomitsu

Birthplace: Beijing, China

Height: 6’’5’

Weight: 220 lbs.

Shoots: Right

Drafted: S16 New York (1/7)

Every now and then a legend is born in the world. Sometimes these legends take part in politics, sometimes in art or music, sometimes in sport, but they are well-known during their era and remembered for long after they're gone. Luckily for recent VHL fans, such legend has graced the world of ice hockey for the past 8 seasons. This was Chinese giant defensive defenseman Hiro Renomitsu.

Renomitsu was drafted by the New York Americans in the otherwise awful S16 draft at 7th overall, as only the genius mind of Vase Trikamaki noticed this man's true talent. Trikamaki wouldn't oversee Renomitsu's rise to glory and New York would eventually lose this legend, but this didn't stop Hiro in his quest to make a name for himself in the Victory Hockey League. Although his career awards are limited to just two Continental Cups in S18 and S22, Renomitsu will be remembered for completely different achievement, such as his defensive game and his amazing knowledge of what to bring to each team he went to. Luckily for half of the VHL's teams, they had the chance to receive this legend's help.

Season 16 Statistics: (VHLM)

Regular Season:
S16 (OTT) - 72GP / 27G / 51A / 78P / +21 / 61PIM / 105H / 143SB / 235SH / 2GWG
Playoffs:
n/a

Renomitsu's professional career began when he was sent down for development to the Ottawa Ice Dogs, affiliate of the New York Americans, and a team consisting of half-legends such as Lars Berger, Vince Stephan, and Yvan Schrute. Renomitsu was then still a raw talent and couldn't propel a team to glory at the age of 18, but the Ice Dogs still came withing 8 points of a playoff spot despite being managed by an evil person named Janelle Henley. Hiro didn't impress anyone that season unfortunately, probably because of the poor aura created around that Ice Dogs season, but the Americans knew there was more to come so they remained hopeful of Renomitsu's future.

Season 17 Statistics: (VHLM)

Regular Season:
S17 (MIN) - 72GP / 20G / 71A / 91P / +54 / 135PIM / 302H / 136SB / 250SH / 1GWG
Playoffs:
S17 (MIN) - 7GP / 5G / 4A / 9P / -5 / 16PIM / 19H / 19SB / 17SH / 0GWG

Unfortunately there was a management change in New York following S16 and the team's revamped front office wanted nothing to do with the legendary foundation laid down by Trikamaki. Before the season started the Americans had already lost 1 ½ of a legend by dealing Berger and Renomitsu to the Calgary Wranglers, a move which would have a clear-cut winner in the Wranglers. At a later point New York's new management would stall the development of Schrute and Stephan as well, thus ruining the team's future, but it was not Ottawa's Yvan and Vince (who together made up one whole legend) went head-to-head with Renomitsu and the Minot Gladiators in the VHLM. This time Hiro did more than everything to help his team to the championship, but even that was only enough for the regular season where Minot edged out Ottawa by 2 points. Renomitsu was 3rd in scoring among defencemen, had a solid 136 blocked shots (within the top 10), and came in 2nd league-wide in both hits and +/- thus doing everything to increase the “Glads'” morale. In the playoffs, however, everything collapsed. Schrute and Stephan turned to the dark side by signing a deal with Dark Lord Erik Pysyk and it was just too much for Hiro and his faithful sidekick Jardy Bunclewirth to handle. Renomitsu was even the 2nd star of the fatal Game 7 of the North American finals with 2 goals, but it was not enough the Ice Dogs advanced and eventually won the Founder's Cup.

Season 18 Statistics:

Regular Season:
S18 (CGY) - 72GP / 3G / 50A / 53P / +54 / 189PIM / 220H / 166SB / 99SH / 0GWG 
Playoffs:
S18 (CGY) - 13GP / 1G / 6A / 7P / +6 / 44PIM / 41H / 42SB / 11SH / 1GWG

The unfortunate failure with Minot was not the end of Renomitsu's time within the Wranglers organization however. In S18 Calgary was planning to return to glory after a long and tiresome rebuild, and a big step towards that was by shoring up the blue line with planned acquisitions Alexander Sauve via trade and Emerson Hrynyk with Kaiser Straf from free agency. When the Wranglers were suddenly left with just Sauve and an inactive goaltender, management panicked and started thinking more about S19 until they were approached by Renomitsu who told the coaching staff to go out all-offensive, promising to carry the load defensively. He did just that, with the 4th most penalty minutes, 2nd most hits (by far tops among the top 3 teams), and 6th most hits (most among defencemen), while helping Jardy Bunclewirth to one of the best rookie seasons ever, Mikka Virkkunen to a MVP season, J.D. Stormwall to impressive two-way play and a Boulet Trophy, and Sauve to a personal best season. This great team play boosted Calgary's morale and they went into the playoffs on fire. With solid all-around play and Hiro's repeated stellar performance, now unmatched as a top defensive defenseman, the Wranglers won their first Continental Cup in a long time.

Season 19 Statistics:

Regular Season:
S19 (MAD) -  72GP / 10G / 43A / 53P / -37 / 227PIM / 257H / 250SB / 112SH / 0GWG
Playoffs:
n/a

Sadly, after S18, the Wranglers could no longer afford Renomitsu's services as they were bringing in Matt Bailey, a hockey legend from the previous VHL generation, so Hiro hit the open market. Strangley, no one realized the talent that was available in free agency, and only Madrid's Zach Voss offered Renomitsu a contract, at 2 years and $6.5 million. The Thunder, who still had not recovered from the thrashing Calgary gave them the season prior, were unfortunately beyond help. To say that Hiro didn't try, however, would be a lie. Renomitsu had the most penalty minutes of his entire career, delivered the most hits in his career, and blocked more shots than he ever did before and after that season, but still could not get Madrid out of the basement. He knew it was a necessity because he knew the draft lottery would change the draft pick situation completely, but despite his efforts, the Thunder ended up 38 points behind 2nd last place. The only positives Renomitsu could take out of S19 were his individual results and his former team's, Calgary's, 2nd straight cup victory.

Season 20 Statistics:

Regular Season:
S20 (TOR) - 72GP / 10G / 29A / 39P / +74 / 180PIM / 250H / 124SB / 115SH / 0GWG 
Playoffs:
S20 (TOR) - 11GP / 0G / 3A / 3P / +3 / 27PIM / 33H / 17SB / 13SH / 0GWG

Luckily Renomitsu's stay in Madrid wasn't a long one, as the Toronto Legion, who were stocking up for a playoff run with young players and additions such as Lars Berger and Xavier Martinez, decided to trade for the defenceman that made good things happen. GM David Knight, eager to win the Sam Pollock Memorial Trophy (which he eventually did), traded a 3rd-round pick to Madrid because their GM Zach Voss was infamous for making questionable trades, and good things did start to happen in Toronto. The Legion were immediately off to a good start to the season and their rivals, the Seattle Bears, couldn't handle Hiro's pressure and sold off to stock up for S21, hoping the Legion would trade Renomitsu away by then. Aidan Shaw stunned everyone with incredible goaltending skills, unseen since the days of Benoit Devereux, and trade acquisition Berger was among the top players in scoring, in a season where all offensive players set records and were extremely happy, probably because of Renomitsu's crystal clear aura. Hiro himself put up solid stats with a +74 (4th on the team behind only Toronto's offensive stars and 9th in the league), 180 penalty minutes (4th in the league) and 250 hits (9th in the league). However, all these positives were off-put by just two negative factors. First, the Bears, furious with Toronto, made a dark, dark deal with Davos which actually was supposed to put them over the cap, but instead helped them to the championship, second, the Legion made a trade for Zlatan Zanetti, who had already destroyed the playoff hopes of New York and Riga and was known to have a “bad mojo”. In the end, Toronto lost to Davos in the finals in 7 games, and soon moved Renomitsu for some reason blaming him for everything that happened.

Season 21 Statistics:

Regular Season:
S21 (VAS) - 72GP / 15G / 25A / 40P / +5 / 223PIM / 252H / 144SB / 136SH / 2GWG 
Playoffs:
n/a

Thus, Renomitsu returned to Vasteras (which in S21 returned from Madrid) in Zach Voss' final off-season as GM, where he decided the Iron Eagles were playoff-ready and stocked up on a lot of inactive superstars such as Renomitsu, Abel Baker, and Blade Hunter. Unfortunately, mixed with those great players were the likes of Erik Pysyk, Pierre-Marc Tremblay, and of course, Zlatan Zanetti, also dumped from Toronto, and in the end, the dark side prevailed like usual. Vasteras stumbled to a 2nd-last finish, which did help them win the draft lottery. Individually, some players succeeded, such as Hiro, who had the best plus/minus on the team with a positive rating of +5, and once again was among the leaders in penalty minutes (most in the league) and hits (9th most in the league). Apart from that, it was a lost season, and yet again Hiro's stay in Vasteras/Madrid saw his former team (this time Toronto) win the cup.

Season 22 Statistics:

Regular Season:
S22 (VAS) - 35GP / 6G / 15A / 21P / -12 / 108PIM / 145H / 80SB / 56SH / 1GWG 
S22 (HSK) -  38GP / 4G / 11A / 15P / -4 / 108PIM / 134H / 50SB / 47SH / 0GWG
S22 (TOT) -  73GP / 10G / 26A / 36P / -16 / 216PIM / 279H / 130SB / 103SH / 1GWG
Playoffs:
S20 (HSK) - 13GP / 1G / 6A / 7P / +7 / 41PIM / 50H / 33SB / 13SH / 0GWG

Season 22 offered a few new experiences for Renomitsu. First, he finally managed to re-sign a contract and stay with one team for more than a season. Second, he was traded mid-season, to Joey Kendrick's Helsinki Titans, looking to break a 5-season playoff drought and maybe a 6-season cup drought. His stats were extremely similar between Vasteras and Helsinki, and he yet again was the king of penalty minutes and hits. It has been reported that Renomitsu himself requested a trade as he felt he would be of more help elsewhere, and Vasteras GM Tyler Owens granted that decision by swapping him for Helsinki's Eric LaJeunesse. This was a trade of an offensive defenseman for a defensive one, and what the Titans lacked were a rock-solid defensive presence on the blue line. Renomitsu brought that and solidified the team's defence core as they cruised to first place in the European Conference. After throwing the HC Davos Dynamo off the throne which Davos held in Europe for 3 seasons, the Titans advanced to the finals, where they were said to not stand a chance. However, led by the Satan-inspired play of Cam Fowler and Renomitsu, Helsinki stunned everyone by winning the Continental Cup, Renomitsu's 2nd and last. Hiro played a considerably role in the team's impressive post-season success as he was 7th in defenceman scoring, led the playoffs in blocked shots and penalty minutes, and came in 2nd in hits.

Season 23 Statistics:

S23 (RIG) - 72GP / 10G / 20A / 30P / -19 / 175PIM / 203H / 179SB / 117SH / 2GWG 
Playoffs:
n/a

Renomitsu couldn't spend his last season in Helsinki though, as they decided to stock up their offence and their cap situation didn't allow for an old Chinese defenceman, who would evidently deliver at the lowest level of his career. The most Hiro could offer the Titans when he packed his bags for his final stop in Riga, was the trend which had him play for a losing team every 2nd season but at the same time have the team from the season before win the cup (S19 Calgary, S21 Toronto, S23 Helsinki?). Currently the Titans are on good pace to do that as they are a win away from a 2nd straight finals appearance. As for Renomitsu's appearance in Riga, it wasn't spectacular, with some of his worst statistics ever, but there were some positives to take out of his final season. The main one was that like all old Chinese men, Hiro became wise with age, and knew that the best way to help the Reign was by improving their draft position. Having analysed the draft lottery done by Simon Tremblay, Hiro decided it was optimal for Riga to finish the season at 2nd last, which they did and subsequently won the lottery. The Reign now have their destiny in their own hands and that was Renomitsu's last good deed in the VHL.

Career Totals:

Regular Season:

433GP / 58G / 193A / 251P / +61 / 1210PIM / 1461H / 993SB / 682SH / 5GWG 

Playoffs:

37GP / 2G / 15A / 17P / +16 / 112PIM / 124H /  92SB / 37SH / 1GWG

All good things must come to an end and that is the case with Hiro Renomitsu's VHL career, which definitely deserved a HOF-style article to commemorate it. His career was probably a bit over-promoted by myself, Jardy, and some others, but at the same time, it's hard to say something about that legend of a player. In advance, I apologize to my slaves graders who have to read this; I don't know what possessed me.

1948 words without the stats. Ow.

So uh welcome back.

Ah yes, I remember all the PBP's in MM where I called you SuperHiro. Welcome back!

Also, as Boom says, your player was a PIMing beast!

Ha, glad to hear things went well with the remainder of my player's career - but I hardly deserve the praise.

I'm (very) slowly catching up to speed - one thing I'm not positive on is where we are in the season/optimal creation time. Should I create in the off/post-season, or just make a new player on Day 1 of S45?

• Admin

Ha, glad to hear things went well with the remainder of my player's career - but I hardly deserve the praise.

I'm (very) slowly catching up to speed - one thing I'm not positive on is where we are in the season/optimal creation time. Should I create in the off/post-season, or just make a new player on Day 1 of S45?

Right now is the absolute optimal time to enter the S46 draft - it is the first week you are eligible to do so and you get the remainder of S44, the off-season and all of S45 to prepare.

Plus you will get on a team straight away.