Premier League Talk 15/16

• Admin

Overall though, the Premier League is just shit to be completely honest. And I was saying this when Chelsea won last season - this side is nothing compared to Mourinho v1 or Ancelotti 2010, yet won with ease.

Champions League performances say it all and every single top 6 match is a letdown. Case in point: the Manchester derby.

Spending more money on players doesn't make those players any better. Just being used by the rest of Europe for profit.

Overall though, the Premier League is just shit to be completely honest. And I was saying this when Chelsea won last season - this side is nothing compared to Mourinho v1 or Ancelotti 2010, yet won with ease.

Champions League performances say it all and every single top 6 match is a letdown. Case in point: the Manchester derby.

Spending more money on players doesn't make those players any better. Just being used by the rest of Europe for profit.

Yea the Man U vs Man C game was easily the worst game I have seen in some time. Just absolutely shit.  

Money has ruined everything. Games between the bigger teams means nothing to me anymore. Just overpaid players vs overpaid players. 

In Finland they usually pick the bigger teams games for TV games. So for example Arsenal vs Norwich is a TV game when at the same time there is game between Southampton and Swansea. I would much rather watch the Southampton vs Swansea game.  ( Just a example but that is what they do here, not much fun for neutral fan) 

^ luckily here in canada i have a pick of what to watch. so normally i have about most of the game recorded from the weekend about 8. sometimes the bigger teams against smaller teams are fun, the bigger teams against bigger teams are usually 1-0 or 1-1 or even 0-0 boring games. but the middle teams vs middle teams are fun 

^ luckily here in canada i have a pick of what to watch. so normally i have about most of the game recorded from the weekend about 8. sometimes the bigger teams against smaller teams are fun, the bigger teams against bigger teams are usually 1-0 or 1-1 or even 0-0 boring games. but the middle teams vs middle teams are fun 

That is so great. They show about 5 or 6 games during the weekend here. Most of them are those big vs smaller games which can be fun sometimes but usually there is a much more interesting games played at the same time.  

Middle team vs middle team games are usually the ones I enjoy the most.  

Yeah, because parity makes the Premier League shit. I would much rather 1-2 super-teams have a total monopoly over the league and buy away their competition.

There are numerous reasons for "poor" Champions League performances. The FA does nothing to help out our clubs during the Christmas period with a ridiculous schedule of games while the other top leagues around Europe give their players a necessary break. Also, I would argue that there are no "easy" matches during the Premier League season (save for Bournemouth perhaps) like there are in the other top leagues - something that has been growing in significance since the PL has become more and more lucrative.

Do Champions League performances say it all? Going back 10 years, here are some statistics for you:

Appearances in Finals (by league):
England: 8 (Manchester United 3, Liverpool 2, Chelsea 2, Arsenal 1)
Spain: 6 (Barcelona 4, Real Madrid 1, Atletico 1)
Italy: 4 (A.C. Milan 2, Inter 1, Juventus 1)
Germany: 4 (Bayern Munich 3, Dortmund 1)

The Premier League is the only league in which two teams have gotten more than two appearances - and they have three of those teams.

There's no question that in the last three years the English clubs have disappointed in the Champions League. If the FA weren't so stubborn they'd implement a 3 week break AFTER the Christmas period. It may be okay for the PL clubs who are not involved with European competitions, but for those top 7 teams it's utterly brutal. That being said, however, they need to start performing better or risk (deservingly so) losing their spot in the top coefficient leagues. 

Arsenal just beat a previously unbeaten-this-season Bayern Munich in the Champions League and aren't even top of the PL. Chelsea beat Arsenal, therefore Chelsea (15th place in PL) > Bayern Munich. I am kidding obviously. But English clubs clearly have the talent to make an impact in the Champions League. To claim the Premier League is "shit" slightly ignorant in my humble opinion.

• Admin

Ah yes, the good old parity argument. Funny how that is the Premier League's biggest selling point these days, considering it's completely non-quantifiable. See, our top teams might not be as good as the big European teams any more, but it's sooooo obvious that the English midtable would sweep the floor with the Spanish, German, and Italian midtables combined. That's the isolationist view which is hurting the league at this point, as well as the arrogant assumption that Barcelona, Real, and Bayern win by large margins (every now and then) simply because half of their leagues are easy to beat. They're not, I follow continental leagues very closely and there is no such thing as an easy game any more so than in England.

I didn't say the Premier League has been shit for 10 years so using that argument is irrelevant. There has been a steady decline or at best things have become stale. When was the last time a Premier League team truly outplayed a big(ish) team from Europe? 2008-10 were the best recent squads for United, Liverpool, and Chelsea, the only top sides which I believe have legitimately improved since then are City (for obvious reasons) and Arsenal (marginally and again they only spent a bit more recently), and their performances in Europe have been quite embarrassing most of the time.

Shit is of course a harsh and over-exaggerating term, there is clearly quality there, but it is a technically and tactically receding league as far as I am concerned.

On the brighter side, my fantasy luck has been something else.

Despite Aguero's immediate injury following his five goal triple captain performance, I had a dilemma. Who could possibly replace him? So I took a punt on Kane against Bournemouth and made him captain too for shits and gigs. Lo and behold, hat trick and I sore above all mortals.

As an aside, both Aguero and Kane had one goal before their big games so I am taking over Chelsea with immediate effect.

/endcompletelyjustifiedboast

Also lol at still not sorting out guest settings.

On the brighter side, my fantasy luck has been something else.

Despite Aguero's immediate injury following his five goal triple captain performance, I had a dilemma. Who could possibly replace him? So I took a punt on Kane against Bournemouth and made him captain too for shits and gigs. Lo and behold, hat trick and I sore above all mortals.

As an aside, both Aguero and Kane had one goal before their big games so I am taking over Chelsea with immediate effect.

/endcompletelyjustifiedboast

Also lol at still not sorting out guest settings.

Nice pick on Kane ! :cheers: 

Far and away the grimmest time to be a Chelsea fan, since I started following them in 2001 at least.

Need to buy Messi in January IMO..... 

zDVUK7t.png

I wonder how much more time Mourinho has? Not so great game again today ;(

Arsenal jersey finally came in the mail today and couldn't have been a better time. What form we're in right now.

Did you shell out a pretty penny for it?

nope my friend works at a soccer merchandise store so I got it at 50% off. Massive 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Leicester top of the league is hilarious, though they've only played Spurs and Arsenal of the big teams so far (and got rekt by the latter).

Missed Liverpool both at Chelsea and City but sounds like Klopp got the 2014 Suarez vibe back again and that was a fun team so good on him.

Terrifying to think that the future of the England national team rests almost entirely in the hands of Tottenham.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...