2015-2016 NHL Discussion

boubabi

oh kendrick, my lord

have you been molested by a habs fan or something

your hate toward the fan base is inexplicable  

Edited by boubabi

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

So, thoughts on the McCann-Gudbranson trade?

Really curious what some of the Canucks fans think here.  @brovy @DollarAndADream

My personal opinion = WTF Benning?  Bad enough they move a kid who made the NHL at 19 and showed some real potential.  Even worse that they added the 33rd overall pick to the deal for a defensive defenseman.

I like Gudbranson, but he is a #4 D at best.  Maybe tops out as a defensive d who fills a role alongside a top offensive defender.  With that being said though, that isn't enough for McCann and a very early second round pick in my opinion.

Edited by Advantage

I haven't really watched a whole lot of Gudbranson since maybe the World Juniors, and a little but of Panthers playoff hockey in the past couple of seasons.

From what I've seen from McCann, he made a little bit of an impact last season in his rookie campaign, but was invisible a lot of the time. I mean, it was only his first season in a VERY small role where he didn't really get any top 6 time, so that's why his production wasn't up too high. I don't really know what I expect of McCann though. It's very much too early to tell. He has a good shot and some decent skating, but there's not really any room on the Canucks for him with the young guys coming up that are likely better than Jared McCann.

I don't mind the trade. I would definitely like it better if the 2nd rounder wasn't in there. It seems like a lot of Panthers fans don't like the trade, and Willie Mitchell's Twitter status of him saying "WTF" maybe speaks something.

Canucks needed defense. I don't know how much getting Gudbranson really addresses, but they got defense. We need a puck mover though. I'm going to try and hold my thoughts a little until I see some actual result on the ice. We won't really know what kind of trade this was for another 2 seasons at least, most likely.

3 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Really curious what some of the Canucks fans think here.  @brovy @DollarAndADream

My personal opinion = WTF Benning?  Bad enough they move a kid who made the NHL at 19 and showed some real potential.  Even worse that they added the 33rd overall pick to the deal for a defensive defenseman.

I like Gudbranson, but he is a #4 D at best.  Maybe tops out as a defensive d who fills a role alongside a top offensive defender.  With that being said though, that isn't enough for McCann and a very early second round pick in my opinion.

I have a similar opinion on that. I mean this trade is essentially a first, second, and fourth for Gudbranson and a fifth. I don't see how that's even.

all the forums I've been on + Facebook have talked about it being a bad trade, except one. I'm confused about it haha. Apparently it's because of his grit, physicality, and leadership. But I would argue 1) sure he's a leader but is he C material? 2) he's physical sure but that's not an automatic marker of success. 3)Idc what you say, grit ain't worth that haha.

i mean his offense is just bad....

Absolute beauty of a trade from Jimbo. Canucks desperately needed a top 4 right handed shot d man (maybe a more of a two-way/offensive would have been better) but the Canucks got a very good young talented d man a young centermen (something the canucks have a lot of) and a couple picks that are likely to not turn into anything.

Makes perfect sense for the Canucks, for the Panthers not so much... McCann will likely have to slide to the wing on Florida.

But assuming the Canucks dont add another legit d men the top 4 will look like this:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

That looks quite a lot better then what we had last season and for atleast in Fall having that (assuming nobody gets injured between now and then) that top 4 is solid.

Just now, brovy said:

Absolute beauty of a trade from Jimbo. Canucks desperately needed a top 4 right handed shot d man (maybe a more of a two-way/offensive would have been better) but the Canucks got a very good young talented d man a young centermen (something the canucks have a lot of) and a couple picks that are likely to not turn into anything.

Makes perfect sense for the Canucks, for the Panthers not so much... McCann will likely have to slide to the wing on Florida.

But assuming the Canucks dont add another legit d men the top 4 will look like this:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

That looks quite a lot better then what we had last season and for atleast in Fall having that (assuming nobody gets injured between now and then) that top 4 is solid.

Also just wanna add, it is not very often a right handed d men, that stands at 6'5" and is young become available. It was well worth the price IMO, I am just hoping Gudbranson can grow a little more offensively and maybe become a lesser version of Shea Weber.

This trade looks great, if your playing in the old NHL, now a days a semi decent skating low offense defensive defender just doesnt cut it anymore. Never understood what made Gudbranson the best defender in his class anyways. 

5 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

This trade looks great, if your playing in the old NHL, now a days a semi decent skating low offense defensive defender just doesnt cut it anymore. Never understood what made Gudbranson the best defender in his class anyways. 

Umm Fowler is no doubt better...

3 minutes ago, brovy said:

Umm Fowler is no doubt better...

Thats what i mean though at the draft he was seen as the best, a number 1/2 defender. I never saw more than a 4-6, yet he went over many better defensemen

1 minute ago, Gooningitup said:

Thats what i mean though at the draft he was seen as the best, a number 1/2 defender. I never saw more than a 4-6, yet he went over many better defensemen

Oh ya hindsight is 20/20 just like seguin is clearly better than hall at this point.

Idk I don't think that much of Gudbranson, he has a very nice QualComp but such low relative Corsi for a defensive defenseman, and not that high of defensive point shares. Plus this year was the first time he averaged more than 20 minutes per game. Plus many hockey players hit their prime around 25, may be slightly later for defensemen but still. Plus he still has like no offense....I also value those picks more than most, but there are many players who become impact players after being taken in the later rounds. Looking at the 2011 NHL draft, that second could be Nikita Kucherov, and that 4th could be Johnny Gaudreau. So it's always a risk trading any picks, especially in the higher rounds

Edited by ADwyer87

27 minutes ago, brovy said:

Also just wanna add, it is not very often a right handed d men, that stands at 6'5" and is young become available. It was well worth the price IMO, I am just hoping Gudbranson can grow a little more offensively and maybe become a lesser version of Shea Weber.

He has never showed any offensive ability whatsoever.

Even in junior he wasn't a major threat offensively.

You are looking more at your version of Willie Mitchell in all honesty.  Nothing wrong with that.  Leadership, size, gritty, etc.

With that being said...come on man...beauty of a trade? You traded a 19 year old kid with promise and the 33rd overall pick for a 24 year old defensive defenseman who has leadership.

He will never develop the offensive skills to be even close to a lesser version of Shea Weber.  Keep dreaming..not happening.

Also, "couple picks that are likely not gonna turn into anything" is not what you describe 33rd overall as.

1 hour ago, ADwyer87 said:

I have a similar opinion on that. I mean this trade is essentially a first, second, and fourth for Gudbranson and a fifth. I don't see how that's even.

all the forums I've been on + Facebook have talked about it being a bad trade, except one. I'm confused about it haha. Apparently it's because of his grit, physicality, and leadership. But I would argue 1) sure he's a leader but is he C material? 2) he's physical sure but that's not an automatic marker of success. 3)Idc what you say, grit ain't worth that haha.

i mean his offense is just bad....

Be careful judging leadership by "is he C material". If you go by that I would hate to have you as a coach deciding captains.

5 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Be careful judging leadership by "is he C material". If you go by that I would hate to have you as a coach deciding captains.

Why is that?

33rd overall has made the NHL once is the last 15 drafts lmao. McCann was going to be playing in the A next season with all the centermen on the Canucks. Plus he really didnt have a whole lot of size and honestly wasnt THAT good this season. He was given time with good players and could not produce, he has the majority of his points at the beginning of the season. 

I rather have Gundranson over McCann right now and this could help potentially reel in a FA or two.

Edited by brovy

7 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

Why is that?

Because often times some of the most vocal leaders don't even have a letter on their sweater. It's risky to judge a players leadership by whether he has a letter on his jersey or not.

1 hour ago, Kendrick said:

Because often times some of the most vocal leaders don't even have a letter on their sweater. It's risky to judge a players leadership by whether he has a letter on his jersey or not.

I guess what I mean to say is ''but how much of a leader is he?" I mean to be honest I don't have the answer to that, but it's still important

5 hours ago, brovy said:

33rd overall has made the NHL once is the last 15 drafts lmao. McCann was going to be playing in the A next season with all the centermen on the Canucks. Plus he really didnt have a whole lot of size and honestly wasnt THAT good this season. He was given time with good players and could not produce, he has the majority of his points at the beginning of the season. 

I rather have Gundranson over McCann right now and this could help potentially reel in a FA or two.

There's more than 33 NHL players in each draft though, it's just a matter of scouting. There's plenty of busts in the first round too. I mean it's all a crapshoot, but 33rd overall gives you much better odds in it. With that pick you know there's future NHLers waiting to be taken