How to have a Pleasant transaction with your grocery store cashier

eaglesfan036

So I've had a job as a grocery store cashier for about 2 years now, and while 90% of the people who go through my line are fine and pleasant, there still is that 10% that I find annoying. Below I will list things I hope you never do to cashiers for the sake of cashiers everywhere.

1) "You look bored" "You look like you want a customer" - Please never ever say this, it is the number one thing that pisses me off. People usually seem to say it after we've had a rush of people for an hour straight and I get in a 30 second breather and then someone comes up and says that and I have to try really hard to be nice. I would rather you went to someone else's line so I could stand there and get paid to do nothing.

2) Don't be the hippy lady who gets tons of green vegetables I never heard of, and then not put them in plastic bags. - First off, even though you only have 10 items but it takes me a long time to scan you through because I have to look up the codes for things like organic anise. Then, you don't have any of the vegetables in plastic bags so my entire register gets soaked in your gross vegetable juices and I have to shut down my register just to wipe up your vegetable water.

3) No, that item that won't scan is not free. It was funny the first time I heard it, but I've heard that hundreds of times by now. 

4) Leaving your cart in the middle of the parking lot - Don't be that person, you are not more special than everyone else. Please return your cart to one of the cart stations, otherwise if you leave it in the parking lot it usually winds up rolling down the hill and it could hit someone's car and I have to travel so far to get it.

5) A grocery store is not a bank. Please do not pay for your $10 purchase entirely in change, please do not ask me to give you dollar bills of change for all of the random nickels you have in your purse

6) Don't be an ass. If you've had a bad day and don't want to talk that's fine because I secretly don't want to talk to you either. Please don't take it out on me if you've had a bad day though. One time I asked a customer if he wanted his bag of potatoes in a bag (a common thing because they are heavy) and he yelled at me and said, "What a bag in a bag! I have 3 kids to take care of I don't need to take care of one more!" What do you want me to say to that?

7) Don't tell me about your sex life - This guy before was telling me about how his psycho girlfriends were the best in bed, while my ultra christian conservative boss was standing right by. That was fun.

8) Don't be that dad who asks me if his daughter is pretty - This one dad found out that his daughter was in my high school class, and we had a really awkward conversation where he pretty much asked me if I thought his daughter was hot.

9) Please have your payment method prepared ahead of time - It really bugs me when someone acts all surprised that they have to pay, look in their wallet and see they are $20 short, pull out their debit card then decide not to use it, then give write out a check. I always make sure to just have my money or debit card out ahead of time so I can make the process as smooth as possible for the cashier.

10) Whiny kids - Please no

11) DO NOT CONTINUE SHOPPING PAST CLOSING TIME! - Nothing pisses me off more than this I want to get out of here and you make me wait and of course you have a giant cart full of stuff too. If you do for some reason come in right at closing time, please make it really fast.

Just to reiterate, most transactions go great and there are a lot of really friendly customers, but these are just some of the things that really irk me. Now onto some things I don't mind doing for customers.

1) Old people who need extra help - If you are old and need your bags bagged light or need help taking stuff to your car, I have no problems with that. People who truly need help like this I am cool with helping, I think it's great you can still go do this on your own.

2) People on their phone - Some of my co-workers get offended by this, I personally don't care at all because it means we don't have to talk to each other. Don't make this out to mean I don't generally like talking to people, but having the same conversation hundreds of times a day, "Hi, how are you I am good how are you do you have a xxx card have a nice day" can get really annoying

3) Friendly People - There are lots of friendly customers who will talk or make me laugh, and I thank you for helping my day be better.

Please follow this guide to help you fellow cashiers everywhere. Birdman out

• Senior Admin
57 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

7) Don't tell me about your sex life - This guy before was telling me about how his psycho girlfriends were the best in bed, while my ultra christian conservative boss was standing right by. That was fun.

this isn't normal? I thought thats what cashiers were for! :cry3:

2 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

2) People on their phone - Some of my co-workers get offended by this, I personally don't care at all because it means we don't have to talk to each other. Don't make this out to mean I don't generally like talking to people, but having the same conversation hundreds of times a day, "Hi, how are you I am good how are you do you have a xxx card have a nice day" can get really annoying

Does the same go for people with headphones in? Typically I'll take them out when I go to the register because I don't know if it'd be rude. I mean, personally I don't think it would be but there are people out there who get offended way too easily.

I worked at a gas station, I could add a lot to this list. I've encountered all of these except for 4, 8, and 11(because we were 24 hours). Personally I hate 2 on your ok list, just because we have to ask lots of questions and 90% of the time the customer is pissed because I'm interrupting the call, like um hello obviously I have to figure out how you're going to pay! And with 3 on your bad list, I can also add lottery to that. People always say "give me the winning ones please" and laugh like they're fucking hilarious and were the first people in history to come up with that shit, and I'm just thinking, if I could figure out which ones were the winning ones I wouldn't be working this shitty job, would I? Also drunk people coming in buying alcohol, or people buying after hours. You know we can't serve you, so just go away please and be stupid and make a mess at home

Edited by ADwyer87

8 hours ago, Streetlight said:

Does the same go for people with headphones in? Typically I'll take them out when I go to the register because I don't know if it'd be rude. I mean, personally I don't think it would be but there are people out there who get offended way too easily.

I wouldnt care but in general id say keep one headphone in and take one out

1 hour ago, STZ said:

I work in retail, and I might add a few more:

1) Weather Talk - Yes, winter is finally here, you cunt.

2) "Just like McDonalds" - Why do people say that when I give them change?

Weather talk is a good one too. All winter long i just hear that its cold out

7) Don't tell me about your sex life - This guy before was telling me about how his psycho girlfriends were the best in bed, while my ultra christian conservative boss was standing right by. That was fun.

Did you try to brofist your boss while the guy was talking about his psycho GFs?

While it wasn't my sole responsibility, I was required to work on the tills in my last job, which I had for four years. The only point I'd disagree with would be the headphones/mobile phones one, but that might be because we were required to ask the customers questions. 

Since my job was in an airport store, my biggest complaints don't apply to general stores. The most common annoyance I had was people asking me why they had to show their boarding cards or the temper tantrums they'd have when we asked for it, despite the fact that if they didn't have it., we were still able to process the transaction so they had no reason to throw a fit. 

Then we installed self-service tills and even times where I was literally using the self-service till like a normal till (actually scanning the items for them, putting the money in, etc), people would complain about how they "wanted to be served by a human", which was especially grating at 4-5 AM. 

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
On 1/22/2016 at 5:31 AM, eaglesfan036 said:

5) A grocery store is not a bank. Please do not pay for your $10 purchase entirely in change, please do not ask me to give you dollar bills of change for all of the random nickels you have in your purse

nah fuck off, can't carry change around in my pocket all the time, gotta get rid of it eventually

I say that but pay for everything by card