After S50, reset record books

No one is ever going to break them. Why not start a new one for the second half century of the VHL? Here is a look at some of the big ones.

Most Points

It has been 14 seasons since a player cracked the Top 25 for Most Points in a Season (Wozniak, 154), which was still 36 points shy of the Campbell record from 44 seasons ago. 

The Top 5 in Most Points are all from the first 5 seasons, something only about 3 members were even here for (Kendrick, Sterling, Beketov).

It has been 29 seasons since someone has cracked the Top 10 for Most Points.

In the past 32 seasons, only 3 players have made the Top 25 (13th, 18th and 21st).

Most Assists

Aksel Thomassen actually cracked this list twice, 7 and 8 seasons ago - making it all the way to 17th. 

In the past 16 seasons, he is the only player to make the Top 25.

It has been 18 seasons since someone cracked the Top 5 (Sullivan, 101, T-5th).

Besides Sullivan, you'd have to go back 23 seasons to get another Top 10 finish (Walcott, 3rd).

Most Goals

14 seasons since Wozniak cracked the Top 10 (72), which was still 17 goals shy of the Campbell record from 44 seasons ago. 

It has been 22 seasons since someone cracked the Top 5 (Reikkinen, 79), but he is an anomaly surrounded by players from the first 8 seasons in the Top 10.

Since S20 only 4 players have made the list, two of those being tied for 20th, dead last on the list with 68 (Rafter, Baldwin).

---

Just crown Campbell the greatest of all-time with his 600 TPE and start fresh. It's sort of silly to me that on none of these lists do you find Thomas O'Malley or Lord Karnage. Unquestionably two of the greats, first-ballot Hall of Famers, consistently amazing and never cracking a Top 25 list. It's time to move on from the outdated records of primarily the first 20 seasons. Give members something to strive for. Hell, they'll still be there to compare to - but literally no one is ever going to get 190 points or 90 goals. No one.

• Senior Admin

I've suggested this more than once but some people *cough* victor and sterling *cough* are still very attached.

But they do kind of have a point in that it doesn't really make sense to just up and throw away 'records'. Sort of defeats the purpose. We could possibly split them after S30 or something though.

41 minutes ago, Draper said:

I've suggested this more than once but some people *cough* victor and sterling *cough* are still very attached.

But they do kind of have a point in that it doesn't really make sense to just up and throw away 'records'. Sort of defeats the purpose. We could possibly split them after S30 or something though.

Never said throw away, but this is a sim league and people want to see their players compete for top spots. When most of the records are from the first 20 seasons, and all of the unbeatable ones are from the time when the league was radically different, they are set in stone. Never again is everyone going to be at 0 TPE at the same time and have the chance to outearn everyone and set these ridiculous numbers ha. 

I don't particularly care too much, but it does seem dumb when you consider a ~650 TPE player is the GOAT in the record book and Lord Karnage would shit all over him if they went head to head.

• Commissioner
43 minutes ago, Draper said:

I think that's kinda what Milholt is suggesting here but on the basis of starting at S50 since it wouldn't be nearly as hard to do as going back to S30.

As an old fart of the league part of me wants to keep the old records; however you are right that they are untouchable. I'm not sure exactly what made the early seasons so different (sliders maybe?) but we aren't ever going to see those kind of numbers again. I think as long as we keep the old record books around this could be a good idea. Obviously trashing all the old records and starting fresh 50 seasons later makes no sense but having unattainable records doesn't make much sense either.

Just now, Beketov said:

I think that's kinda what Milholt is suggesting here but on the basis of starting at S50 since it wouldn't be nearly as hard to do as going back to S30.

As an old fart of the league part of me wants to keep the old records; however you are right that they are untouchable. I'm not sure exactly what made the early seasons so different (sliders maybe?) but we aren't ever going to see those kind of numbers again. I think as long as we keep the old record books around this could be a good idea. Obviously trashing all the old records and starting fresh 50 seasons later makes no sense but having unattainable records doesn't make much sense either.

The same thing that happens in every sim league - everyone starts at 0 TPE, so it leads to a ton of factors that influence it that will never happen again.

1. All goalies were awful.

2. Earning TPE was even moreso an advantage.

3. Rookies were the best players in the league.

4. Everyone was on equal footing.

Nowadays

1. You come into the league and goalies are all good to great, usually.

2. You have to earn a ton of TPE just to be considered in the top players.

3. Rookies are usually not great as they are way behind in TPE.

4. No one is on equal footing because the cyclical nature is in play.

This is all natural for a league - but it leaves the early records untouchable because they come from an era that can literally never happen again unless the league implodes and starts from 0 lol.

As for records... don't do away with them.. that's stupid. Fuck Gretzky and his records, amirite? 

The way to combat this is to have another records section divided by eras. Top Scorers of the Ancient Era (S1-19) Top Scorers of the Shaw Dynasty (S20-39), and Top Scorers of the Phil Being Banned Period (S40-present)

You get the idea.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

As for records... don't do away with them.. that's stupid. Fuck Gretzky and his records, amirite? 

The way to combat this is to have another records section divided by eras. Top Scorers of the Ancient Era (S1-19) Top Scorers of the Shaw Dynasty (S20-39), and Top Scorers of the Phil Being Banned Period (S40-present)

You get the idea.

Or just split it at 50... :ph34r:

Perhaps my title is misleading, but I feel like no one read the first sentence of my post lol.

Doesnt mean scotty put less effort than me in his player. I think everything is relative to the era they were playing. Maybe Maurice Richards would be an east coast player today, but compared to his time, he was above the rest. 

Personnally, we gotta appreciate the record book and go beyond the number in our analysis on who was great and who was greater. I still top some prestigious record like GWG and I'm near the all time hit record. Even tho sscotty campbell's record won't be beaten,I think its a fair objective to try our best to near his.numbers. 

• Commissioner
43 minutes ago, Molholt said:

Or just split it at 50... :ph34r:

Perhaps my title is misleading, but I feel like no one read the first sentence of my post lol.

I'm with you in this.

I like Phil's idea to split it up further but it's a logistics nightmare with all the old indexes being erased. 50 is a solid milestone to do it at and isn't just an arbitrary number so if it's going to be done now makes sense.

51 minutes ago, Molholt said:

"No one's going to break them"?

lol I think you meant your 2nd :P;)

"Oh hey S1 player, your records? Yeah they don't exist anymore". Oh okay well it wasn't worth coming by to see my handwork anywhere.

If you aren't throwing them completely away, why adjust it at all?

2 hours ago, boubabi said:

Doesnt mean scotty put less effort than me in his player. I think everything is relative to the era they were playing. Maybe Maurice Richards would be an east coast player today, but compared to his time, he was above the rest. 

Personnally, we gotta appreciate the record book and go beyond the number in our analysis on who was great and who was greater. I still top some prestigious record like GWG and I'm near the all time hit record. Even tho sscotty campbell's record won't be beaten,I think its a fair objective to try our best to near his.numbers. 

Maurice Richard*