Claimed: I'm gonna keep bringing this up until it happens [1/2]

Tyler

158205.jpg

bring em back baby

I have been a VHL member off and on since I was 13 years old. Through that time, I have had many players, some good, some not so good, but I always remained consistent in believing the VHL is the best sim league on the web. The SHL may have more members and more teams but it's so confusing to me that I've never been able to put any effort in to it. There are football leagues with varying degrees of success but to me hockey translates better then football to a sim league. However that doesn't mean our league is perfect. It has issues and one of the key ones to me is a lack of personality among the teams. It sounds like a non issue but for me, one of the things I like about real hockey is how every team tends to have a personality over time. The Bruins are mean, nasty and usually shit. The Flyers tend to be bullies on the ice. Either way, ice hockey lends itself easily to mythology and deification. There is no easy solution to how we can make current iterations of teams seem more replicate of their franchises and more relevant to their histories. However one thing we could do is bring back the one team that, to me, has the most personality; the Vasteras Iron Eagles!

I am obviously biased having GMed the team to their second title ever in Season 26 as well as them being one of the first teams I ever had a player drafted to. However, the lovable loser moniker is one that stuck with the team. Much like the Chicago Cubs of the MLB, or the Maple Leafs in the NHL it seems being a loser can offer a team some level of fame and personality. When one thinks of the Cubs in modern times (save for obviously last year) you think of great losses in franchise history. Vasteras is much like that in that when you think of the team you think of a franchise that couldn't win the big game. Regardless of how good their roster was year in year out they failed to win the league.

I know I just wrote an article a few weeks ago about my time as GM of the team I am writing about here. This is different though. I have no idea if relocation is in the cards for the league anytime soon, but if it is I strongly recommend anyone to think long and hard about putting a team back in the yellow and black. I would probably immediately want to be apart of the franchise so long as there is an opportunity for it to happen. At the end of the day, it's better to be a lovable loser then just a loser. 

• TheLastOlympian07 changed the title to I'm gonna keep bringing this up until it happens [1/2]

Review

I am on board with the Vasteras train. However I don't see Stockholm moving there after being moved from there for the 2nd time. Cologne might be a decent choice because well they have no history other than 1 win. but never know. Chances are about 5% right now that Vasteras comes back. Nice well written quick article. However it seems only you and Corco STRONGLY want this to happen so its a hard sell for everyone. Nice pic

1 minute ago, Tyler said:

tenor.gif

can hardly think of a better return to the VHL for Vasteras then a team with literally no future anyway

S57 is when I'm going to start fielding a barely competitive team. Makes sense to get the fuck out of Cologne and hope for a new start back in Vasteras. Let's get this started, what needs to happen exactly? I understand the BoG votes? @Higgins @JardyB10 @Smarch

On that note, RIP Ibiza Rave. 

P.S.: I thought VHL requires original logos now. Would be hard to make one for Vasteras even though they are the Iron Eagles.

3 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Review

I am on board with the Vasteras train. However I don't see Stockholm moving there after being moved from there for the 2nd time. Cologne might be a decent choice because well they have no history other than 1 win. but never know. Chances are about 5% right now that Vasteras comes back. Nice well written quick article. However it seems only you and Corco STRONGLY want this to happen so its a hard sell for everyone. Nice pic

@solas @Phil

On 2017-08-07 at 9:15 PM, TheLastOlympian07 said:

Review

50% and new logo is even being talked about or debated