Army of backwashers

jRuutu

1 hour ago, jRuutu said:

I find it hard to believe, if something similar has happened before - would like to see the thread. (No need to look for it now, but if you find it some day or remember something like that happening all of a sudden, feel free to tag me in)

In every other league you would be laughed at if you at that situation go after the award winning top-GM who lead his team to first cup in 20 seasons and try to claim your GM did more moves and had a better year than last year, so should give the award to your Gm instead.

Ill give you an example. Toronto GM won 3 cups in 3 seasons i won GMOTY. Because i took a team that had no real core, to a finals and almost won denying what is history.

4 hours ago, ADV said:

It's not actually? There are a ton of other sim leagues too with the same voting criteria.

The results are correct based on the criteria.  The criteria is the part you don't like which as has been said a thousand times, can be up for discussion.

They might have the same criteria, but usually in a similar situation like we have here - the GMs who won the cup takes home the biggest vote total.

3 hours ago, Gooningitup said:

Ill give you an example. Toronto GM won 3 cups in 3 seasons i won GMOTY. Because i took a team that had no real core, to a finals and almost won denying what is history.

But did the Toronto GM win at least one GM of the year during those 3 cup victories?

14 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I mean, seriously...

... wouldn't being a backwasher be a good thing? Like, are there people out there who support others having unwashed backs?

It´s a bad thing if there is group of them following you around, few is nice.

35 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

There you go, Frank made moves to stay competitive, but no votes

He did make moves to achieve some regular season success, but another gM did more and made more improvements in the standings.

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

He did make moves to achieve some regular season success, but another gM did more and made more improvements in the standings.

I´m hoping they really start the talks in BOG about moving from regular season success purely to adding playoffs into the picture as well when deciding top-Gm.

We have too many ´weak´ teams in the VHL to have so big focus on regular season only.

Just now, jRuutu said:

I´m hoping they really start the talks in BOG about moving from regular season success purely to adding playoffs into the picture as well when deciding top-Gm.

We have too many ´weak´ teams in the VHL to have so big focus on regular season only.

That's fair.

I should point out an error in your previous conversation though. You said all teams face the bottom dwellers and therefore despite Riga being #1 in the league in the regular season they till faced the same competition as Quebec. Although that is true, if the other teams in your conference are weaker and you get the #1 position, then yes it is harder for you to make the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

Why not push for an award for TOP executive during the playoffs? That could include winning the cup and such? Would that suit your fancy?

8 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

That's fair.

I should point out an error in your previous conversation though. You said all teams face the bottom dwellers and therefore despite Riga being #1 in the league in the regular season they till faced the same competition as Quebec. Although that is true, if the other teams in your conference are weaker and you get the #1 position, then yes it is harder for you to make the playoffs.

True, but still when looking at the standings on both divisions, both teams were quite well ahead the non-playoff teams. Riga had Davos breathing behind them more heavily than Toronto was behind Quebec and Helsinki was almost as good in points as Toronto, but then Express had 48 points and Bears 67, so top was better in EU and collected more points while bottom 2 in NA was better than the EU bottom 2.

2 minutes ago, KGR said:

Why not push for an award for TOP executive during the playoffs? That could include winning the cup and such? Would that suit your fancy?

Not really, but could add some kind of different award for the GM who did the biggest or most moves.

Just now, KGR said:

That just seems a little bit unnecessary.

Not really,  the GM who went all the way with the team is more than likely going to win the top-GM award and the GM who is getting there and made moves to start that is more than likely winning the ´most improved GM´ award

I didn't vote. I like Frank and may have voted for him if I had voted, but that's a pretty unanimous decision so I assume the Riga GM did a good job. Not everything is steeped in personal bias despite the frequent claims. If the vote was 5-4 then I'd buy your argument more.

8 minutes ago, sterling said:

I didn't vote. I like Frank and may have voted for him if I had voted, but that's a pretty unanimous decision so I assume the Riga GM did a good job. Not everything is steeped in personal bias despite the frequent claims. If the vote was 5-4 then I'd buy your argument more.

What if majority of the voters assumed as well? Or just quickly added in their votes without doing too much research?

I don't get the huge uproar, @jRuutu. Nobody said Frank didn't deserve an award, it's just that @hedgehog337 deserved it more, in each person's eyes that made those votes. There was definitely discussion over both Quebec and Riga to win that award in the BoG, but ultimately people agreed with each other that it should be Riga. A lot of times the BoG don't agree on something, and if you seen the Awards Discussion thread there was another award which caused huge debate. For once though, it was agreed upon that Riga deserved it from going from 8th to 1st. Sure, the playoffs didn't go his way, but even in the NHL it's not about the playoffs.

I mean, even if you consider that Frank had 3 draftees on his team, Riga had 2.

Just because @Frank had 0 votes doesn't mean 0 people thought he didn't deserve it. He definitely deserved it, but Riga did more.