Homegrown Magazine: Issue 1

Possum Queen

I ended up running into issues with the blackjack and hookers, but as promised, here's the first edition of our very own VHLM magazine: Homegrown.

In the future, the format will move from a print magazine to a more web-based approach more in line with the internet age we live in, but it was absolutely fantastic getting to do at least one issue this way. 

At any rate, thank you to @Bring Back Player 2 (Tri), @OldTimeHockey, @MWHazard, and @Spade18 for contributing as writers for this issue. Literally couldn't have done it without you.

VIEW THE MAGAZINE

Edit: So, I was deceived by the VHL.com forum name and thought this was somewhere important. Can someone with the ability move this over to media spots? <_<

Edited by Týr

24 minutes ago, BluObieZ said:

Looks good. Wish Autograph was a "magazine" because it being online batch of articles kinda handcuffs my creativity. 

That's the direction Homegrown is gonna be going as well. We'll both learn to work with it. :)

Still, like I said, I'll probably gather some articles every now and then and put together an "issue" just for the hell of it.

5 hours ago, BluObieZ said:

Looks good. Wish Autograph was a "magazine" because it being online batch of articles kinda handcuffs my creativity. 

Then change it up. This is a thousand times more aesthetically pleasing too. 

25 minutes ago, Banackock said:

After a long discussion with the blues, I understand and agree with the direction they want to go. It's not what I initially would have liked, but I'm excited for it to come together. 

Posting articles as they're written rather than in a magazine format also eliminates the issue we had with OldTimeHockey's article, where it was written ten games into the season and published at 30+

3 minutes ago, Týr said:

After a long discussion with the blues, I understand and agree with the direction they want to go. It's not what I initially would have liked, but I'm excited for it to come together. 

Posting articles as they're written rather than in a magazine format also eliminates the issue we had with OldTimeHockey's article, where it was written ten games into the season and published at 30+

I guess - but blues aren't always right. I love this work. 100x better than any normal posted article. 

What at a shame. Another classic move to deter da VHL. RIP :( 

• Senior Admin

Seeing how awesome this looks, I really want to figure some way to preserve this format... hell, I mean, I think at this stage it’s fair to say precisely nobody is looking at the portal for ‘content’..so just to keep something for the home page, maybe instead of articles on the portal it could just be:

VHLM Magazine

A nice image

A button that opens the full magazine spread 

A button that links to the forum posting of the mag 

and then same for VHL Mag

Of course then you’re not getting daily content on the portal, but I’m not sure anybody is looking for that at this stage.

8 minutes ago, Will said:

Seeing how awesome this looks, I really want to figure some way to preserve this format... hell, I mean, I think at this stage it’s fair to say precisely nobody is looking at the portal for ‘content’..so just to keep something for the home page, maybe instead of articles on the portal it could just be:

VHLM Magazine

A nice image

Of course then you’re not getting daily content on the portal, but I’m not sure anybody is looking for that at this stage.

I'd be fine with that. Would add some function to the cover as well, if that's the image used on the portal. But as we've discussed, I'm good to work with whatever's decided on your end. We're gonna make it look great either way :)

2 hours ago, Will said:

VHLM Magazine

A nice image

Sounds good to me. I can finally get creative

4 hours ago, Banackock said:

Was kind of impossible to get this look when posting each article individually. It would be like releasing a whole made one page at a time. Now that it seems like i can do a Mag I can do what I want 

• Senior Admin
11 hours ago, Týr said:

I'd be fine with that. Would add some function to the cover as well, if that's the image used on the portal. But as we've discussed, I'm good to work with whatever's decided on your end. We're gonna make it look great either way :)

Yeah I mean that was just a suggestion for now, I'll have to look into it and see how it would work in terms of showing the spread and whatnot.