Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

1. S81 baby! Nagy AL is going to lead the league in hits and (defenceman) goals. You just watch. 

2. Bold move with the 5th overall pick. I’m glad it paid off, you did your homework more than me. I’m pumped to be here. Minion’s a great GM, Jardy is absolutely Jardy, @Timmy Turneris a chess god, @SpicyGecko is my euro boi, and now I’ll get to meet everyone else!

3. I, uh, am already at the VHLM cap and now will continue to bank like I have for the past five seasons. Rip. 

4. My advice: find things that make this place fun. If it’s not fun to do point tasks, you won’t. I came here initially because I really missed writing. I was a few years out of uni, not working in museum research anymore, back to the grind of classroom teaching, and there’s just not much of an outlet for creative or informative writing in the real world. I did some “30 Thoughts” style writing for my fantasy hockey leagues, and when I saw the VHL, I knew that skill would be used a lot here. My writing has gotten so good again, by doing epic media spots every few weeks. Sometimes I even write not for TPE!
The other thing I learned to enjoy was podcasting. I did one radio ad campaign way back in the day and fell in love with it. My mom says I have a face for radio. I would have wanted to podcast, but wouldn’t have had anything to talk about before the VHL. I haven’t recorded in many months, but doing podcasts with fishy & thad, or for the WJC, are some of my fondest memories here. 

Have fun with point tasks, or you’ll burn out and leave. 

5. Bold assumption I am a real human. I very recently got into running. I used to just run on the treadmill because it was the only time I’d watch TV. This August, my new roommate in Hungary got me to come run outside with him. I joined a Saturday morning running club, and made my best friends here through a shared enjoyment of running. In September, I ran for 10km for the first time in my life. Literally today, I ran 22km (a half marathon distance). That’s insane. I’m so proud of how far I’ve come, and that runners high has gotten me through some dark spots already this year. I love to hike and climb mountains, so next summers adventure will be starting to do trail running. 

6. DC Dragons and it’s not even close. 

2 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

3 Questions Answered = 1 Capped TPE

6 Questions Answered = 2 Capped TPE

Please answer in full sentences

Week Ending November 28th, 2021

Thanks for the format, @SpicyGecko, I'll keep it. 😜 

1. S81 of the VHLM should begin on Wednesday! As a player, what are your goals for the upcoming season?

2. All told, we made SEVEN selections in the S81 Dispersal Draft on Saturday. What are your thoughts on acquisitions the team made? If you were one of the draftees, how did it feel to be drafted to Halifax?

3. Answering Press Conference questions is a form of training! What will you dedicate the points you earned from this task to?

4. Our team has had the privilege of attracting a solid amount of brand new members to the team. If you're a more veteran member, what's a piece of advice you can offer to your new teammates? If you're new to the league, what's something that could be done that might make your entry into the league a smoother or more enjoyable experience?

5. As a real person, what are some of your favourite hobbies?

6. The VHL is home to a bunch of pretty cool custom logos. Which are your favourites? (You don't have to answer "Halifax" ;) )

| @LumberChuck @NatIng14 @Ente2997 @PoignardLeclerc11 @Austin2997 @Horcrux @Brandon P @Timmy Turner @Gross Ross @KnightRiley @jasplunds @Morcar80 @SeanL17 @bigAL @Deathblooms @lukechezzwoo |

1. S81 of the VHLM should begin on Wednesday! As a player, what are your goals for the upcoming season?

I'm gonna try to stay on the same path I've been on since coming into Halifax really, but for this season I expect to develop into a more complete and well rounded player that can really be up there competing with the best defensemen in the league.

2. All told, we made SEVEN selections in the S81 Dispersal Draft on Saturday. What are your thoughts on acquisitions the team made? If you were one of the draftees, how did it feel to be drafted to Halifax?

I think it looks good across the board, many players coming in and looks like we'll make a strong top defensive pairing and hopefully become a contender for this season.

3. Answering Press Conference questions is a form of training! What will you dedicate the points you earned from this task to?

That's true! I'm currently debating with myself whether to bump up some points in scoring or not, but we'll see!

4. Our team has had the privilege of attracting a solid amount of brand new members to the team. If you're a more veteran member, what's a piece of advice you can offer to your new teammates? If you're new to the league, what's something that could be done that might make your entry into the league a smoother or more enjoyable experience?

While I'm not completely new, I'm still very much not a veteran either seeing as this will only be my 2nd season in Halifax. The best short and concise tip I'll give is; don't forget that 2 extra TPE from practice facility! :D

Gaming in general, but particularly esports and competitive titles like CSGO. I used to work with Overwatch teams in the Contenders league (the minor league under Overwatch League basically) and I still have some contact with many professional players in various games, so following matches/teams in various corners of the esports world is something I do a lot :)

6. The VHL is home to a bunch of pretty cool custom logos. Which are your favourites? (You don't have to answer "Halifax" )
100% agreed, there's so many really well made logos and they're all super sick. There's of course a few that since the beginning caught my eye a bit more, can't really say why but I've always really liked HC Davos, Toronto Legion and Malmö Nighthawks!

5 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

6. The VHL is home to a bunch of pretty cool custom logos. Which are your favourites? (You don't have to answer "Halifax" ;) )

| @LumberChuck @NatIng14 @Ente2997 @PoignardLeclerc11 @Austin2997 @Horcrux @Brandon P @Timmy Turner @Gross Ross @KnightRiley @jasplunds @Morcar80 @SeanL17 @bigAL @Deathblooms @lukechezzwoo |

1. My goals for this upcoming season is to build up TPE and get involved more overall in the VHL community.

2. I think we made some solid picks, I wasn't drafted, but I'm excited about the team we're building here.

3. I'm going to commit these points to my passing!

4. As a newbie, all I can ask for is even more of the help my new teammates have already given me. Thanks y'all.

5. IRL, I do broadcasting and production for my university's athletic events. (if anyone is looking to fill a play-by-play role hmu)

6. One of the logos I really liked was from the DC Dragons.

6 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

1. To help our team win games and hopefully put up some points

2. I wasn't on the team when the draft happened but looking back on it the players that were drafted look pretty good.

3. Defense if I'm the last person back I need to be able to play defense

4. Suggestions on how to improve my player to be the best version he can

5. I play hockey in real life in MN and I like seeing how a player boosted of my performance would go and I love the sport of hockey

6. Mexico City has a pretty cool logo I like the bright colors

1. Help our team win games and hopefully be up there on the scoreboard with only assists.

2. I haven't looked at whoever else got drafted but for myself im happy, one of the few teams i would want to be drafted by. 

3. More passing or skateing 

4. Just make sure to have fun and dont stress about getting tpe done, 

5.  Mainly just play video games, once in awhile ill buy a book to read.

6. Prague phantoms is probbably my favorite

5 hours ago, LumberChuck said:

5. IRL, I do broadcasting and production for my university's athletic events. (if anyone is looking to fill a play-by-play role hmu)

5 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

Sounds like you'd be a natural podcaster! ;)

Yo @LumberChuck you could make a killing producing podcasts. Lots of people have the voices and ideas, but I struggle so much with turning the raw bits into an actual publishable audio file. I’ve been looking for a producer for some time, it’s a great chance to learn a new skill, but audio engineering is hard. 

5 hours ago, Crummer77 said:

5. I play hockey in real life in MN and I like seeing how a player boosted of my performance would go and I love the sport of hockey

Is MN Minnesota? I believe @N0HBDY plays hockey there as well!

1 hour ago, KnightRiley said:

4. Just make sure to have fun and dont stress about getting tpe done

This is a big one! I love TPE and encourage everyone to get as much as possible, but it has to still be fun!

17 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

1- As a rookie my goal is to carry my weight on the team and continue to grow. 

2- I think the amount of rookies selected is very exciting and creates an exciting atmosphere in our club. 

3- I will dedicate my points towards my shooting ability. 

4- As a rookie, I feel like the veteran players have done a great job helping us understand and welcome us to the VHL. 

5- As a real person I spend most of my time wrestling. 

6- One of my favorite logos goes to the Miami Marauders. 

6 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

Is MN Minnesota? I believe @N0HBDY plays hockey there as well!

This is a big one! I love TPE and encourage everyone to get as much as possible, but it has to still be fun!

@KnightRileythanks for the advice 

we gotta represent Minny! @N0HBDY

18 hours ago, bigAL said:

Yo @LumberChuck you could make a killing producing podcasts. Lots of people have the voices and ideas, but I struggle so much with turning the raw bits into an actual publishable audio file. I’ve been looking for a producer for some time, it’s a great chance to learn a new skill, but audio engineering is hard. 

Ya audio engineering isn't really my strong suit, but if I have the time, I'm up for the challenge!

JhmlGX6.png

Thanks for the format, @SpicyGecko, I'll keep it. 😜 

6. The VHL is home to a bunch of pretty cool custom logos. Which are your favourites? (You don't have to answer "Halifax" ;) )

1. Getting my 200 points and helping the team win the playoffs.

2 Since this is not the first time I am being traded, it is nothing new to me. I hope I will bring the team forward.

3 Increase my defense stats.

4. I take advice from veterans.

5. Games of all kinds.

6. Oh, each one has its own charm.

7 hours ago, Morcar80 said:

JhmlGX6.png

Thanks for the format, @SpicyGecko, I'll keep it. 😜 

6. The VHL is home to a bunch of pretty cool custom logos. Which are your favourites? (You don't have to answer "Halifax" ;) )

1. Getting my 200 points and helping the team win the playoffs.

2 Since this is not the first time I am being traded, it is nothing new to me. I hope I will bring the team forward.

3 Increase my defense stats.

4. I take advice from veterans.

5. Games of all kinds.

6. Oh, each one has its own charm.

1. To play well and to help the team

2. I feel that we made some strong acquisitions to help the team 

3. I will upgrade my stats to become a more balanced player

4. At this point there is not really anything I need help with but if I do I’ll ask

5. I enjoy to play and read about hockey and play and follow soccer.

6. Honestly I can’t really pick a favourite

On 11/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

As a rookie in the league, the goal is to really find my feet and start helping the team as much as possible. Whether it be some solid defence or a big hit, I want to do anything I can to shoot this team up the standings.

While I don't know too many people in the locker room and there aren't many familiar faces since I was picked up not too long ago, the locker room vibes are good and I think the team is in a good position, both on and off the ice. On the ice, I think we're a force to be reckoned with and off the ice, we've got a family who can push through anything.

It has got to be defence and hitting. The goal is to be the most menacing body on the ice and beat the opponent mentally and physically.

I'm just a newbie to the place so any sort of help is appreciated. The main thing is going to be how to accumulate TPE so I can get better each day.

I'm an art student studying photography so that's a hobby that's really become something more. Other than that, I play a decent amount of video games, read a fair amount, and follow as many sports as I can. I've had interest in radio broadcasting since I've been told I have a good radio voice, but haven't really gotten around to it. (If anyone wants to do a podcast or need a newbie guest, lmk 😉)

The best logos from each league are the Dragons, the Red Wolves, and the Kings. Overall though, I think the best looking one is the D.C. Dragons one.

1 hour ago, Kairi said:

(If anyone wants to do a podcast or need a newbie guest, lmk 😉)

Oh you know it! I'll hit you up next week and you can suffer the disorganized and free-balling chaos that is my podcasts, x2 when I'm trying to have a guest. 😂

Also your formatting is lovely and readable and is almost exactly what I do and I appreciate it. :love:

JhmlGX6.png

Week Ending December 5th, 2021

1. As of this writing, we are 12 games into the season and our team is off to a much rougher than expected start! What are some things the team or management can do to right this ship? Pun intended, obviously.

2. As a team we're performing below expectations, but looking at your individual stats, how do you feel you're performing personally?

3. For those of you who are new to the VHL, how has your experience been in the first week or two so far? For those of you aren't new to the league, what WERE your first impressions of the league back in the day?

4. Describe the type of player you are, or are striving to become!

5. Today I was (and probably still am) suffering from some kind of stomach flu/bug/food poisoning/maybe I'm dying. What are some things you like to do to make life a little easier on yourself on a sick day?

6. Do you watch/follow hockey in real life, and if so, who are your favourite teams and why? If not, then what sports (if any) do you prefer instead?

| @LumberChuck @NatIng14 @Ente2997 @PoignardLeclerc11 @Austin2997 @Horcrux @Brandon P @Timmy Turner @Gross Ross @KnightRiley @jasplunds @Morcar80 @SeanL17 @bigAL@lukechezzwoo @Crummer77 @Kairi @ScoreAGoalBudEh|

French AAGM Addendum (credit to @comrade cat, TPE can be directed at him for these, THANKS):

1. suis-je (jardy) étant une bonne aga?
2. Qui est votre équipe VHLM préférée ?
3. Camarade chat est-il cool? (dites oui je fais ça pour jardy pour le plaisir je les lis)
4. quel est votre jeu préféré sur (Xbox Ps pc changer tout cela)
5. voulez-vous être dans le HoF?
6. Suis-je un méchant pour faire cette semaine conférence de presse à Français?

Edited by JardyB10

1. As of this writing, we are 12 games into the season and our team is off to a much rougher than expected start! What are some things the team or management can do to right this ship? Pun intended, obviously.

I think it will be fine, other teams will also weaken.

2. As a team we're performing below expectations, but looking at your individual stats, how do you feel you're performing personally?

My record could be better, but I'm surprised to have so many score points. Preventing goals is actually more of my specialty.

3. For those of you who are new to the VHL, how has your experience been in the first week or two so far? For those of you aren't new to the league, what WERE your first impressions of the league back in the day?

Last season was already interesting. Ottawa has remained a power, other teams have been disbanded. I think the change is good.

A DDD. A disciplined defensive defender.

5. Today I was (and probably still am) suffering from some kind of stomach flu/bug/food poisoning/maybe I'm dying. What are some things you like to do to make life a little easier on yourself on a sick day?

I watch series e.g. GOT, Supernatural, Justice League Unlimited etc ...

By the way, get well soon

6. Do you watch/follow hockey in real life, and if so, who are your favourite teams and why? If not, then what sports (if any) do you prefer instead?

I am a fan of EV Zug, a Swiss ice hockey team and current champions.

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

| @LumberChuck @NatIng14 @Ente2997 @PoignardLeclerc11 @Austin2997 @Horcrux @Brandon P @Timmy Turner @Gross Ross @KnightRiley @jasplunds @Morcar80 @SeanL17 @bigAL@lukechezzwoo @Crummer77 @Kairi @ScoreAGoalBudEh|

1. Keep the players active.

2. I think I'm performing okay, my offensive stats are good, but the +/- could be better.

3  My first impression waw, that this is a super cool idea and that here arw nice people.

4. Fast scoring Winger with a bit of defense.

5. Watch something educational or view just beatiful pictures/videos feom the earth.

6. Yes I follow hockey irl too. My favourite NHL team are the edmonton oilers and my favourite non nhl team is my hometown team.

Edited by Ente2997

14 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

14 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

1. I think we played like 5 games vs ottawa, we all knew it would be difficult to beat them, but know we have no excuse and we need to score more goals.

2. I only have 2 goals in 12 games, I think i could be way better than that. I'm not helping the team right now

3. It been great! I love it

4. Right now, i think i'm a depth player who can score goals, but in the future i want to be an important piece for any team in the league.

5. When im sick, i sleep a lot lol

6. Yes i watch hockey, im a big bruins fan! I also love baseball, thats my 2 main sports.

15 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

1.  Try to get people to visit VHL more often so they upgrade their players

2. I have 7 points in 12 games from the blueline so i'm pretty happy with that

3. It's been fun I have been moving up quite a bit in draft rankings which is good

4. I am a offensive defenseman like Scott Perunovich on the UMD Bulldogs

5. I just lay on my bed and do nothing

6. Minnesota Wild but I also like the Oilers

20 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

French AAGM Addendum:

3. Camarade chat est-il cool? (dites oui je fais ça pour jardy pour le plaisir je les lis)

Not sure, probably try and get some higher caliber lines going strong to generate some more offense, right now we've been downplaying the minutes of several higher TPE skaters.

So far pretty average I'd say. I would have definitely expected to be scoring more assists this far, but that probably goes hand in hand with the lack of goals we're putting up. Other than that I know 100% that there's more to get out of my player so we just need to get it rolling somehow. Ice time has also felt quite underwhelming compared to last season but that's of course due to a number of factors.

I came into the VHL community just before the previous season, so my start here was quite calm actually and it really got me eager to get into the draft etc - since I created my player right in the downtime between seasons. At least we got a junior showcase tournament! :)

A true team player that will do his role well. Unselfishly be able to set up plays  but also be able to play a physical game and generate morale boosts for his teammates.

I love to really make myself a little 'nest' on the couch. I'll grab everything I could possibly need, phone, laptop, chargers, all the remotes necessary, any medicines I'm taking etc. and just build a comfortable corner to lay in - and then play a movie. The big thing for me is to not think too long about what I want to watch because then I just end up browsing for ages, so the first pick I feel like "ooh maybe this one" I'll just press play instatly and tell myself it's okay to swap if it's not my cup of tea.

Yes, I follow my local team in Sweden where I live, BIK Karlskoga - they play in the secondary swedish league. I watch all their games with only a few exceptions really. Other than that I mostly follow esports where my big interest lies in CS and watching NiP. But I do watch all sorts of CS games just due to general interest in the pro scene.

22 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

French AAGM Addendum:

I don't think there's too much to do other than everyone updating and getting better as players. The make-up of the team is solid and most games we're losing are close 1 or 2 point games. It's just really minor things we have to do to get better and win more games.

2. As a team we're performing below expectations, but looking at your individual stats, how do you feel you're performing personally?

It's a little give and take from my perspective. While the defensive stops are there seeing as I'm only putting up a -10 in a tough season, I hope to perform even better and help the team eek out those 1 point games and put the offensive end in a better position by keeping the opponents off the scoreboard.

The first few weeks are pretty great. The locker room is busy and while I haven't popped in too much, it looks like the atmosphere is looking great. The bots and personnel are doing a great job keeping everyone updated too.

I've stated it before but I'm primarily a physical defenceman looking to become even more intimidating and dominant in the defensive end. Hopefully, one that can become a cornerstone on a team to help keep the opponents at bay and let the offence work their magic.

Sick days are the worst! For me, I usually sleep it off or get a little exercise in since I feel like sweating helps. Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't die.

Ever since I started following hockey, I've been a Ducks fan. It's been a tough few years, but this year is looking up for us! Though I wouldn't be surprised if things start going downhill from here. As for how I became a fan of Anaheim, I only knew of hockey through my dad who lived in Anaheim for a while and had a signed Paul Kariya jersey so it was basically all I knew. I wasn't really into hockey since I grew up in Japan and the only time I saw hockey was around the rink back when I was a figure skater. When I came to Canada and started getting interested in hockey, I was immediately drawn to Anaheim, even though those gorgeous Mighty Ducks jerseys were gone and replaced with the bland black and purple ones.

5 hours ago, jasplunds said:

I love to really make myself a little 'nest' on the couch. I'll grab everything I could possibly need, phone, laptop, chargers, all the remotes necessary, any medicines I'm taking etc. and just build a comfortable corner to lay in - and then play a movie.

I love a good couch nest, especially on a cold day! (Of which plenty of those are coming soon 😬) I'm technically well enough to keep working sadly, so I might have to reserve this for the weekend.

6 hours ago, Crummer77 said:

6. Minnesota Wild but I also like the Oilers

I'm an Oilers man myself, though admittedly I haven't followed the team or the NHL as a whole all that closely for the last several years. I'm pleased to hear Edmonton is finally picking it up though!

3 hours ago, Kairi said:

Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't die.

I appreciate that you appreciate this! 😛 Also Paul Kariya was my favourite when I was a young 'un. Also, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself so far, you're doing great! You and Jasplunds were our T-3rd highest earners last week, so I definitely wanted to shout you guys out for that :cheers: