Expansion

Tyler

The VHL will probably expand again someday and it's time we look at some very real very serious ideas for where the teams could play. There will be more ideas then actual new teams in the event we do expand, so let's have at it.

European ideas

1. Glasgow, Scotland: The city of Limmy and Celtic (and that other shit club we won't mention) is one of the most interesting options. Since there isn't much of a Scottish hockey market it may be better served as a VHLM team but I just wanted to shout it out.

2. Belgrade, Serbia: Something unique since I don't know if I've ever seen it mentioned. If we're going to have a slavic team it may as well be in Serbia. A historic city and while it may not have a huge hockey history it is still offers a lot of options for backstory and logo design.

3. Vasteras, Sweden: The best thing the VHL ever had or ever will needs to come back. Amazing colour code, amazing logo and amazing, all be it tragic, history around the team. Make it happen.

North American ideas

1. Saint John's, Newfoundland: Could have a good rivalry with the Glasgow team being as they both  have significant links to Ireland. Might be better suited as a VHLM team due to the size of the city but no one can deny the passion Newfies have for pretty much everything.

2. New Orleans, Louisiana: Hard to think of a cooler city in America then this. I've never been there but so much of America seems boring but New Orleans, like Saint John's, is a pretty unique city. Since there will never be an Acadian team this will be the closest I'll ever get. And no, we still haven't forgiven the English for what they did @Tagger@Victor.

3. Alberquerque, New Mexico: Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul managed to make a miserable city in the desert seem cool so why not?

• Admin

I actually have a list saved somewhere for a future MS. I think anything other than 2 European teams would be a travesty. Unless of course by then we get an existing NA franchise to move to EU, but that's a tough sell.

EU

1. No. 100%

2. No. 100%

3. Maybe. 75% on board. Always like the name but like Stockholm more.

1. NA. St Johns... lol no.

2. New Orleans 100% no

3. No

In my opinion

USA:

Denver, Chicago, Philly, Minnesota, LA, Boston I like... not opposed to Atlanta, Phoenix, Baltimore or Detroit/St. Louis are some nice places. I get being "different" than the big and mainstreams, but not New Mexico..

Canada:

1. Vancouver,

2. Montreal

3. Winnipeg and thats it. 

Id stay away from the East Coast now that Halifax has a team in the VHLM because if and when a rebrand ever comes, it won't be the Bears, Americans etc going - it'll be St Johns. 

Euro

I mean, tough... Do you want recognizable cities? Do you want big hockey scenes? Or are we simply look to go somewhere cool and be different?

1. Stockholm (hockey)

2.  Dublin (different)

3. Vienna (Different - spread your wings)

4. London, Paris or Rome - (Recognizable, big places)

5. St. Petersburg (hockey) 

6. Vatican City (Vipers) -- (because I once had a team named that)

7. Moscow, Russia

8. Bern/Zurich - Switzerland

9. Bratislava @hedgehog337 lets do it if so

Europe is a lot tougher for me to come and pin point a place. For Canada, Vancouver would be my #1 and USA is tough but I'd like the idea of Minnesota, Boston, Philly or Chicago getting a team IF their names are solid and not something like the 43rds. 

2 hours ago, Banackock said:

EU

1. No. 100%

2. No. 100%

3. Maybe. 75% on board. Always like the name but like Stockholm more.

1. NA. St Johns... lol no.

2. New Orleans 100% no

3. No

In my opinion

USA:

Denver, Chicago, Philly, Minnesota, LA, Boston I like... not opposed to Atlanta, Phoenix, Baltimore or Detroit/St. Louis are some nice places. I get being "different" than the big and mainstreams, but not New Mexico..

Canada:

1. Vancouver,

2. Montreal

3. Winnipeg and thats it. 

Id stay away from the East Coast now that Halifax has a team in the VHLM because if and when a rebrand ever comes, it won't be the Bears, Americans etc going - it'll be St Johns. 

Euro

I mean, tough... Do you want recognizable cities? Do you want big hockey scenes? Or are we simply look to go somewhere cool and be different?

1. Stockholm (hockey)

2.  Dublin (different)

3. Vienna (Different - spread your wings)

4. London, Paris or Rome - (Recognizable, big places)

5. St. Petersburg (hockey) 

6. Vatican City (Vipers) -- (because I once had a team named that)

7. Moscow, Russia

8. Bern/Zurich - Switzerland

9. Bratislava @hedgehog337 lets do it if so

Europe is a lot tougher for me to come and pin point a place. For Canada, Vancouver would be my #1 and USA is tough but I'd like the idea of Minnesota, Boston, Philly or Chicago getting a team IF their names are solid and not something like the 43rds. 

I'd stay away from NHL markets tbh but for the Euro ones

I like Vienna. One of the most underrated European cities. Copenhagen is another one I thought of. Athens or Milan too bu some people put such an emphasis on realism that I doubt it would fly. 

Edited by Tyler

10 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I'd stay away from NHL markets tbh but for the Euro ones

I like Vienna. One of the most underrated European cities. Copenhagen is another one I thought of. Athens or Milan too bu some people put such an emphasis on realism that I doubt it would fly. 

Athens would be cool. Vienna yeah. I won a bet on them not long ago. 

Hard to to stay away from NHL etc haha especially when they’re such solid cities. 

6 minutes ago, jacobaa19 said:

Yea but it’s kinda fun havin different teams in nhl city’s it’s like the NHL doesn’t exist or it disbanded 

This, too. 

Hard to to stay away from 30+ major North American cities. 

A high league shouldnt have shit cities like Saskatoon, Regina and small market places. Imo

13 minutes ago, Banackock said:

This, too. 

Hard to to stay away from 30+ major North American cities. 

A high league shouldnt have shit cities like Saskatoon, Regina and small market places. Imo

Yea exactly no one knows Saskatoon just Canadians

Sorry to burst peoples bubble but it's already been discussed behind the scenes very slightly that if we ever expanded again, Cologne would be a good candidate to return. They got the short end of the stick, already had decent franchise history, one of the top players EVER was a 1OA for them, and we already have the logo's and stuff. 

Carry on. :P 

Oh and also, I'd support a Russian major VHL team. It's still kind of a travesty that Sweden and Russia have no teams despite probably being the next two biggest hockey countries after Can/US. 

• Admin
7 hours ago, Devise said:

Sorry to burst peoples bubble but it's already been discussed behind the scenes very slightly that if we ever expanded again, Cologne would be a good candidate to return. They got the short end of the stick, already had decent franchise history, one of the top players EVER was a 1OA for them, and we already have the logo's and stuff. 

Carry on. :P 

Oh and also, I'd support a Russian major VHL team. It's still kind of a travesty that Sweden and Russia have no teams despite probably being the next two biggest hockey countries after Can/US. 

I mean Sweden did kind of blow all of its chances. Still not sure why Gothenburg moved to Oslo in the VHLM though. Likewise, Moscow was alright there, just obviously didn't need that many VHLM teams.

• Senior Admin
7 hours ago, Devise said:

Eh to be fair that was only @Victor ? 

If the time were to come, I would be open to a new team assuming the logo and such could be organized. Always good to change things up, and just generally I'm not really a huge fan of the idea of a franchise shuttering and then popping back up in the exact same spot down the road...just from a 'lore' perspective, if nothing else. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Will said:

Eh to be fair that was only @Victor ? 

If the time were to come, I would be open to a new team assuming the logo and such could be organized. Always good to change things up, and just generally I'm not really a huge fan of the idea of a franchise shuttering and then popping back up in the exact same spot down the road...just from a 'lore' perspective, if nothing else. 

It's not unheard of tbh, happens in the KHL with "financial difficulties" and the like. Slightly different but the Jets in the NHL (which is why its time to move Calgary/Seattle to Cologne!).

I think its more a lack of great alternatives in my head. I like Prague and maybe Moscow (if there's a good name), apart from that it gets quite exotic.