Calgary Wranglers press conference

diamond_ace

On 2/19/2023 at 3:21 AM, Tetricide said:

1. Why does Chicago hate us? 😢

2. Karl Pedersen @JeffDhas started a few games! Of his 4, he has 2 wins and 2 losses (one OTL).  Both wins were shutouts. What do you think about the future of Pedersen?

3. We're sitting 7 points ahead of the next team, in which the next 8 teams only have a few points variance between each other. Do you think the dust will settle at the end of the season and show the points further apart, or will they remain to be neck-and-neck?

4. Who was your player's role model growing up?

5. Who was your role model growing up?

6. Star Wars or Star Trek?

1. Because they're jealous that we don't have to worry about being shot when we leave our homes.

2. When you're the backup, all you can really do is maximize the time you get, and that's exactly what Karl has done. Crushing the chances that you are given often creates more of them for you, so if he's aiming to be a starter one day, then he is absolutely making a great case for prospective teams. 

3. Some teams, namely Seattle, have been making some moves at the trade deadline, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them claw their way up. Or maybe they don't gel and sink like a stone. Guess we'll just have to see.

4. Pelle Lindbergh, and I'm gutted that we very likely never got to see the very best he had either. He was truly a special goaltender. 

5. My massive sense of loyalty comes from guys like Tom Landry, Joe Paterno, Emmitt Smith... guys who stuck in one place for ages and made greatness happen through loyalty, trust, and a common purpose.

6. Star Wars, absolutely no hesitation. The expanded universe just adds so much more than the movies could ever touch.

Excuse me...just doing a drive-by Press Conference.

1. Why does Chicago hate us? 

I think that they hate everybody to be honest. I wouldn't take it personally.

2. Karl Pedersen started a few games! Of his 4, he has 2 wins and 2 losses (one OTL).  Both wins were shutouts. What do you think about the future of Pedersen?

The future certainly looks bright if that is any indication of the quality of his play.

3. We're sitting 7 points ahead of the next team, in which the next 8 teams only have a few points variance between each other. Do you think the dust will settle at the end of the season and show the points further apart, or will they remain to be neck-and-neck?

Who knows? The way that teams have been playing, either scenario is possible here in the VHL.

Joost Van De Westhuizen, a South African Rugby player, seeing as Voss is from there.

5. Who was your role model growing up?

I honestly didn't really have a role model. Most guys might say their dad, but mine was away a lot working, so I didn't spend much time with him growing up.

Star Wars, even though it shit the bed with the sequels in my worthless opinion. As soon as Jar Jar Binks was a thing, I knew it was over for me.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:21 AM, Tetricide said:

:cal:Calgary Wranglers Press Conference :cal:

Week Ending February 26, 2023

2. Karl Pedersen @JeffDhas started a few games! Of his 4, he has 2 wins and 2 losses (one OTL).  Both wins were shutouts. What do you think about the future of Pedersen?

1. You need to earn hate, sympathy comes for free. They are just envious that we are better and let's be honest, more handsome.

2. It certainly is a promising and it looks like we have a keeper as a backup (badum-ts).

3. I do not care what happens behind us. Our focus needs to be upwards not downwards.

4. Must be HOF Philadelphia forward Bobby Clarke for his gritty two-way play.

5. I did not really have any I could think of.

6. I am on the fence here, I would say StarWars as I loved the original three movies, but I think Disney is milking this cow too much (and as with BOOM Jar Jar turned me off tbh).

On 2/19/2023 at 1:21 AM, Tetricide said:

1. To be honest it's probably because they know they won't be as good as us.

2. I think this says a lot about our future goaltender and that we will have a reliable goalie for seasons to come.

3. You never know with the sim, but with how this season has gone I wouldn't be surprised if it stays neck-and-neck.

4. Mark Messier, for his gritty play, and his ability to score with the best of them.

5. I'm still decently young, so I'll say my parents because they both show how hard work will eventually pay off and that all the long hours of working weren't for nothing. 

6. I'm a be honest, I've never seen Star Trek and I've only watched about an hour of Star Wars, but just because of the Star Wars lego, ill say Star Wars. 

On 2/19/2023 at 1:21 AM, Tetricide said:

1. To be honest it's probably because they know they won't be as good as us.

2. I think this says a lot about our future goaltender and that we will have a reliable goalie for seasons to come.

3. You never know with the sim, but with how this season has gone I wouldn't be surprised if it stays neck-and-neck.

4. Mark Messier, for his gritty play, and his ability to score with the best of them.

5. I'm still decently young, so I'll say my parents because they both show how hard work will eventually pay off and that all the long hours of working weren't for nothing. 

6. I'm a be honest, I've never seen Star Trek and I've only watched about an hour of Star Wars, but just because of the Star Wars lego, ill say Star Wars. 

Because we are good. People always hate those that are better than us!

2. Karl Pedersen @JeffDhas started a few games! Of his 4, he has 2 wins and 2 losses (one OTL).  Both wins were shutouts. What do you think about the future of Pedersen?

Dude has been LEGEN (wait for it)

DARY.  LENGENDARY!

It's great to see. Always useful to have a good backup! 

I always hope for a game to game swapping of the standings. It keeps everything really exciting. Not sure how this season will end, only that it's coming up fast on us. Let's focus on getting past the first round!

The Rock. Phil the Rock Johnson, of course, but really any of the English players - Phil Rafter, Phil Gerrard, Phil Hamilton, well, you get the picture. 

5. Who was your role model growing up?

Mats Sundin. I even saw him at a Loblaws picking up his Christmas Turkey one year. He handed me a puck through the glass at an open Maple Leafs practice. I couldn't believe it. He was the definition of class. 

Honestly I've never given Star Trek a fair shot. I would say Star Wars, but they gone off the deep end. If we are talking the classic trilogy, then sure Star Wars, otherwise, it's a coin flip. 

On 2/19/2023 at 3:21 AM, Tetricide said:

1. Definitely just because they see we're the biggest threat and who wouldn't hate us because they ain't us?

2. That's a great run! If Pedersen can keep up those kind of performances that's definitely the making of a goalie for the future of the franchise. 

3. Definitely as we get closer to the end of the season it's only natural that things will start to settle and the point differences between the teams will get further apart as teams start to show who are stronger.

4. Lloyd Braun's role model growing up was Mr. Costanza as he demonstrated effective leadership while keeping his composure. 

5. I really liked Jason Spezza when I first started getting into hockey and thought he was a fantastic player.

6. My wife is a huge Trekkie so I'll have to side with Trek for this one. 

:cal: Calgary Wranglers Press Conference :cal:

Week Ending March 5, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! Looks like we're on our final week of the regular season. Are you ready for playoffs?

2. What are the odds on us winning the rest of the games and Vancouver losing all of them for the Victory Cup?

3. Which away arena is your player's favorite?

4. Did anything happen by the trade deadline that surprised you?

5. Any NHL trade surprises?

6. Are you allergic to bee stings?

On 2/27/2023 at 10:58 PM, Tetricide said:

1. What's up, Wranglers?! Looks like we're on our final week of the regular season. Are you ready for playoffs?

2. What are the odds on us winning the rest of the games and Vancouver losing all of them for the Victory Cup?

1. I am ready to stem the cup once the fat lady sings.

2. Victory Cup - Shmictory Cup.... Let's Vancouver have it as a consolation to not win the CC as this ours.

3. Anyone he scores a hattrick in and where the fans hate him the most.

4. I knew that we did not have the cap space to make moves, so I have not really followed them tbh.

5. Only that Kane was going so cheap, but than again I did not know about his NMC/NTC and did he would only accept the Rangers as new home.

6. Yes, but not the 'OMG I am going to die' allergic. I stepped on a bee twice in consecutive summers as a child and could not wear any shoes for two weeks or so, despite having immediately removed the stinger.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:58 PM, Tetricide said:

1. My depreciation bank isn't but I am!
2. 0 I'm afraid.

3. I always love playing in Seattle, it's great having the boos rain down to get you going.
4. I wasn't really expecting Seattle to go in as hard as they did.

5. Sandin my love :(
6. I don't think so? But I also haven't been stung in probably a decade.

1. This is what we've been working for all season, and to me, it's the real season. I'm ready!

2. Doubtful, I'm not counting on going in as the top seed, and we'd have to get past a quality team before facing Vancouver anyway. There are no handouts anymore, and having that top seed wouldn't have given us one anyway.

3. The Zurich Center is somewhere where I was able to practice and train before my VHL career, so I always enjoy the chance to go back to Davos and revisit my old stomping grounds.

4. Honestly, not really. The players we thought would get traded did, and where they ended up wasn't really a surprise. Seattle did go a bit harder than I thought, but not enough to surprise me.

5. Tampa Bay really overpaid for that dude from Nashville, which I thought was pretty shocking. Not the type of thing you expect from the Lightning at all.

6.  No, thankfully. It's nice to not have to be super worried about getting stung.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:58 PM, Tetricide said:

1. Hell ya!

2. As of writing this 0%.

3. He likes to play in Vancouver.

4. To keep it 100 I have no idea what happened.

5. Tampa overpaying for a grinder is surprising, and Ottawa getting Chychrun for so cheap.

6. No.

:cal: Calgary Wranglers Press Conference :cal:

Week Ending March 12, 2023

1. Playoffs officially kickoff this week following the wild card games! How's your player's mental right now?

2. Game 1 shut out?

3. How do you think your player will fare in the playoffs?

4. Who on the team do you think will score a hat trick? Fake bonus points if you can correctly guess against which team.

5. When was the last time you used a payphone, if ever?

6. What book would you love to see a movie adaptation?

Edited by Tetricide
formatting

1. It has been a quick season! Looking forward to seeing how the team does. I think we definitely have a good shot of making a run.
2. I'm answering this pretty late in the week so I'm happy to say that we were good enough to finish second in the league. I think we have quite the shot to take it to Vancouver!

3. Lloyd's favourite arena to visit is Seattle's. There is a lot of history in that arena and it's cool to see!

4. Maybe the fact that the trade deadline happened is most surprising to me because it still feels like the season just started!

5. There weren't moves that were really surprising but the lack of value that Arizona got for Cychrun for Ottawa is pretty wild. Clearly they held out for more and expected to get a ransom which backfired on them. 

6. I'm not but I'm terrified of the damn things anyways!

2 hours ago, Tetricide said:

I'll fix the formatting when I get home tonight. 

1. Playoffs officially kickoff this week following the wild card games! How's your player's mental right now?

2. Game 1 shut out?

4. Who on the team do you think will score a hat trick? Fake bonus points if you can correctly guess against which team.

1. Probably a bit antsy right now, and with Landon struggling at the beginning of new ventures I do worry about him.

2. I could imagine a low scoring affair to start, like 1-0 or 2-1.

3. If we survive long enough for him to get going, I could see a great campaign from Landon.

4. Leandro, game 3 vs LAS.

5. I have never, although I was a fan of the song when it came out.

6. I think Nemesis by Isaac Asimov would be a perfect self-contained movie.

2 hours ago, Tetricide said:

I'll fix the formatting when I get home tonight. 

2. Game 1 shut out?

1. DJ likes the high stake games, so he is at peace and at the same time hyped up in the right amount.

2. Why not? We certainly have the goaltending capable of such feats.

3. I hope he can score some clutch goals and hoist the cup when everything is said and done.

4. Good question, As DJ and Landon both are slow starters, my bet is that Abbas will again be the first to score a hattrick.

5. Oh boy, I did use them when they still needed coins to operate (or this 10 buck pre-paid cards) but cannot put a date to it, probably mid- to late nineties.

6. The series of 'Gaunt's Ghosts' a WarHammer 40k series.

1. What's up, Wranglers?! Looks like we're on our final week of the regular season. Are you ready for playoffs?

I am totally ready. We have had some rest and now it’s go time baby. Let’s do this!!!

very unlikely, especially since it didn’t happen. It’s okay though. We will actually win a playoff series this season. 

London. Because it’s Strasmore’s actual home arena. That or Toronto, because it’s Phil Knights home arena. 

I actually did the theme week. 

tbh yes, all the moves Dubis made for the Leafs, the biggest being being Ryan OReily in. Great for our depth. We will still lose thoigh. 

nope. I’m not allergic to anything as far as I am aware. 

On 3/5/2023 at 10:15 AM, Tetricide said:

2. Game 1 shut out?

1. Feeling good. It's almost a shame to not have to play in the wild card round as the team that we eventually play might have some momentum, while we might have some rust. Need to prepare mentally to not be slow out of the gate.

2. Tough to say, in the tight checking playoffs I expect it to be low scoring, but the competition will be a close match for us.

3. Same as he did in the regular season - Sax will pick up some proximity points just because he gets to be on the ice at the same time as Janser and Wolanin, both those guys will do the scoring while Sax will try to be a water-carrier and responsible two-way player.

4. Janser, easily.

5. Probably been at least 15 years since the last time I used one. Ever since mobile phones became ubiquitous, payphones are kind of obsolete.

6. The Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy.

On 3/5/2023 at 1:15 PM, Tetricide said:

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. Yes i'm always late please don't bully me 

2. Game 1 shut out?

SERIES SHUT OUT BABYYYYYYYYY

I don't think i'll be very productive but the 1st round is no surprise i've always been trash in the 1st round. I was clutch last year with San Diego tho but i'm not as important as a player as I was in the M yet. 

Leandro agains't a team starting with M and Janser in the final 

I'm 16 and almost 1 month old so it's not really from my time so the answer is never 

I'm Gonna cheat there a little and say Harry Potter the cursed child. I'm too lazy to read the book so I hope they make it a movie with the same actors 

2. Game 1 shut out?

1.  Dialed. In. Eyes are on the prize and our goal is in sight?

2. No, but we did get pretty close!

3. I've got to be my absolute best each and every game, or else our season could be cut short. No room for mistakes!

4. Leandro Goncalves against the Seattle Bears.

5. I don't know if I ever actually used one outside of messing around with one.

6. The Last Full Measure, because Gods and Generals got their movie adaptations already. Finish the series!

2. Game 1 shut out?

1. Psyched. I mean, we crushed it through LA and now we wait to play Seattle. Should be a hard fought series but I want to send them into early hibernation.

2. Let's go! GAME 1 Shutout. I'll do my part defensively to make that happen for sure! 

3. I've been impressed with my performance in the first series. Way more offensive production than I could imagine. 

4. Janser will against Seattle. calling it for Game 2. Let's gooooooo

5. I probably used it a few years ago now. Man it's been a while. I wonder if people these days even know what Maroon 5 was talking about in the song Payphone. lolol

6. I would love to see Terry Goodkind's series The Sword of Truth adapted into a TV Series. I think they did try it but it was so low budget and shit they cancelled it after the pilot.  In terms of a movie - I think the famous Paulo Cohelo's The Alchemist would be a great little movie. 

2. Game 1 shut out?

1. After those first four games feeling pretty good! Just waiting for the next round to get started.

2. We didn't get any blank sheets but those were some pretty dominate wins against LA! Let's keep it going vs Seattle.

3. I'm shocked that Lloyd has two assists already! Hopefully he keeps it going for the rest of the playoffs. 

4. Janser definitely has some coming vs Seattle! Yep, multiple hat tricks incoming.

5. I remember when I was a youngin' using one at a mall.

6. I really enjoyed reading Project Hail Mary and can't wait to see the movie adaption of it!

On 3/5/2023 at 11:15 AM, Tetricide said:

2. Game 1 shut out?

1. He's ready to go and is looking to help Calgary in any way he can.

2. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

3. I think Larry will have a tougher time in the playoffs than he did in the regular season but you never know.

4. The safe answer would be Janser or Wolanin, but I am going to say that Braun @Toast will get one.

5. Never.

6. IDK, I don't really read books, but the books I have read are already movies.

1. Playoffs officially kickoff this week following the wild card games! How's your player's mental right now? I'm a born champion, so my mentality is to kill everyone.

2. Game 1 shut out?  I pitch shutouts on the regular

3. How do you think your player will fare in the playoffs? he'll probably have the best performance in the history of the league. Or the worst.

4. Who on the team do you think will score a hat trick? Fake bonus points if you can correctly guess against which team. Me. I'm going to do it against every opponent in every series.

5. When was the last time you used a payphone, if ever? I think in 2017 in Russia.

6. What book would you love to see a movie adaptation? I'd like to see the David Eddings Belgariad series.

:cal: Calgary Press Conference :cal:

Week Ending March 19, 2023

1. What's up Wranglers! We're going into the final games of the semis and it's really getting down to the wire here. Is your player amped or a little anxious?

2. As of this post no one's scored a hat trick yet in either series. What does that say about our competition?

3. ...Or is that a player skill issue?

4. Does your player prefer the cheers of the home crowd or thrive off the grief of the opposing team's fans at away games?

5. Spring is right around the corner! How are your allergies holding up? Texans are dying from all the pollen...

6. What toppings do you put on your pizza? Don't worry pineapple lovers, you're safe here.

Edited by Tetricide
I pressed the "B" to unbold and it posted for some reason?