Calgary Wranglers press conference

diamond_ace

2 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

awlJLHK.png
Week ending 11 June, 2023

(I wanted TPE, and I know that @Tetricide has better things to be doing right now than writing our PC ❤️)

1. The draft is right around the corner! How do you like to enjoy draft season? Are you drafting, watching or just letting the cards fall?

2. What is one thing that you would want to know about a potential prospect before drafting them to your team?

3. How important do you think the offseason tournaments are to a player's legacy?

4. This will unfortunately be the last season we have with Daniel Janser. How important has he been to the identity, success and legacy of this franchise?

5. I am off camping for most of this week! Do you enjoy camping/glamping? What are some luxuries you can't live without?

6. I assume we will be on the hunt for a new AGM soon. What are some qualities that you think make a great AGM?

1. I'll be watching them all closely. What will the Wranglers and the Express do? Where will @cLoWn go in the VHLM!?

2. How curious they are. That and the usual over/under on the old toilet paper question.

3. Heavily underrated, because they're not part of the Portal. I love that both Zef Goncalves and Leandro Goncalves have won the World Cup!

4. DJ was the catalyst for this period of dominance in Calgary. His influence can't be understated enough.

5. Camping is good, but glamping... woooooooooo! (Potable) Water has to be it, in this case.

6. Active and eager for knowledge. Someone who's opinionated and not afraid to give it. Someone proactive.

27 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

awlJLHK.png

(I wanted TPE, and I know that @Tetricide has better things to be doing right now than writing our PC ❤️)

1. The draft is right around the corner! How do you like to enjoy draft season? Are you drafting, watching or just letting the cards fall?

2. What is one thing that you would want to know about a potential prospect before drafting them to your team?

3. How important do you think the offseason tournaments are to a player's legacy?

4. This will unfortunately be the last season we have with Daniel Janser. How important has he been to the identity, success and legacy of this franchise?

5. I am off camping for most of this week! Do you enjoy camping/glamping? What are some luxuries you can't live without?

6. I assume we will be on the hunt for a new AGM soon. What are some qualities that you think make a great AGM?

1. I certainly was more involved when I was a GM in the VHLM/E. I will not follow it live as it is at 1AM my time on a Monday.

2. To feel out whether I have a franchise lifer or a journeymen. Sure, TPE are important but life can get in between and so to me is secondary-ish...

3. I think the JST serves to retain player who created after TDL (and for GM's to scout), the ProAM is just for having fun in silly teams which you would never see in that composition. But the ones creating tangible legacies are the WC and WJC which can make or break the entry of a player into the triple gold club.

4. I plead the fifth on this one, hoping I have done what was expected of me/my player.

5. I used to like it in my teens, but to quote Roger Murtaugh: 'I am too old for this shit.' I think in our day and age Wifi/connectivity would be difficult to waive.

6. Just being a good person one can have a friendly banter with. And one who complements the GM in the day to day business of managing a team (be it scouting, writing PC's or analyzing the stats to tweak the strats/lines. This depends heavily on the GM in question.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:13 PM, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week ending 4 June, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! This week, the VHL finals come to an end and the off-season starts (hopefully)! I know we didn't make the cut to the finals this time around, but how do you feel about how the rest of the teams did from each sort of final (quarter/semi/cup final)?

2. Speaking of the off-season, the World Cup is back! Who are you rooting for?

3. The Commissioner's Cup was also just announced for its return! Do you think this will help keep the interest of new, prospective members of the community?

4. This season marks the end of an incredible legacy that Oskar Lindbergh has left for the Calgary Wranglers as he has retired, and as a team we helped him get his name etched on the Continental Cup! He was also awarded the Daisuke Kanou Trophy, the playoff MVP! Do you have any kind farewell words to say?

5. How was your weekend?

6. For whatever sports team you're watching and supporting on game day, do you wear any of their apparel? Whether it be a jersey, hat, or socks...

1. Not sure about the other teams but I think we made a solid effort at repeating. Happy to be here and looking forward to us making another go! 

2. Has to be the United States! The nation has the most history in the league and I'm hoping that I can someday represent them! 

3. It's a cool concept and I appreciate the effort people are making to give content to new members but sometimes it feels like there is way too much. I appreciate the link to find out what this is! 

4. Thank you for being a great teammate between the pipes! Since my time here you have definitely saved us at times. 

5. Great! I'm on vacation in Europe. So far I've only seen Scotland and it's a beautiful country! Ask me again next week and I'll give you feedback on Germany and Switzerland too!

6. I stick to the team jersey if I'm watching Liverpool/Senators/Blue Jays but I will admit I own Sens socks and boxers...

13 hours ago, Toast said:

5. Great! I'm on vacation in Europe. So far I've only seen Scotland and it's a beautiful country! Ask me again next week and I'll give you feedback on Germany and Switzerland too!

Where about in Switzerland are you going?

On 6/4/2023 at 4:02 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

awlJLHK.png

Well this is the 1st time I draft YPE! I'm still trying to pull strings there and there i'm not done on the trade despite my 2 trades today

The only question I ask most of the time is whether they'd be willing to play for my team. That's the minimum question I ask might ask a few other but the rest I can mostly see by myself.

I don't think off-season tournaments matter to a player legacy at all tbf but I enjoy them.

well ever since I arrived in this forum, Janser has been the big guy the best player in the league. Well, he was also my teammate ! He will leave behind a massive hole in Calgary 

5. I am off camping for most of this week! Do enjoy camping/glamping? What are some luxuries you can't live without?

Yeah I love camping honestly it's fun especially with friends. Luxuries I couldn't live without is probably my phone honestly basic answer but still

for me, Dedication, activity and willing to learn

On 6/4/2023 at 4:02 PM, jacobcarson877 said:

awlJLHK.png

1. Draft season is always a lot of fun! Just watching teams wheel and deal in the days leading up to it, trying to predict who's going where, and seeing if you were right makes for good fun. YaBoi Oven is also in the VHLM Draft this season, so that's exciting for me as well. 

2. The big thing is making sure they would be happy to play on your team, along with ensuring that they are active and fit with both your locker room and future plans. 

3. Honestly, they really aren't a big part of a player's legacy, outside of getting a gold medal to complete Triple Gold. That being said, they're a great tool for GMs to evaluate and get to know prospects, so they definitely have their place in the VHL.

4. Daniel Janser has been absolutely iconic, the face of this generation of the Calgary Wranglers. He's a slam dunk first ballot VHL Hall of Famer, and the epitome of what it means to be a Calgary Wrangler during his tenure. His name will be spoken alongside of Calgary greats like Slobodzian, Boulet, and Labatte.

5. Camping is a major component of reenacting, and I really enjoy it. The most important component at the end of the day is having a dry place to lay your head at the end of the day, you can make due without luxuries if you have that!

6. The most important thing an AGM can bring is a presence, to be there and to help make the locker room fun. If you have that, every other component of bring an AGM can be taught and learned. 

IMG_7491.png

BONUS PRESSER FOR WEEK ENDING JUNE 11th!!!!!

1) We’ve recently move Larry Abass Jr to start building toward our future! How do you feel about the acquisition of Rip Wheeler?!

2) We’ve also hired a new GM as Tet has moved up to the GM ranks in the minor league! What are your thoughts on @Otis Boudreaux Jr as our new AGM?

3) The draft is quickly approaching, what would you like Calgary do with pick 14? (Trade up, down, for futures, help current roster?)

4) What is your personal goal for next season?

5) Need an update for all the newbies, what is your favourite NHL team? Who’s your super secret second favourite team?

6) Sushi? Yes or no? Favourite kind? Alternative?

1. The draft is right around the corner! How do you like to enjoy draft season? Are you drafting, watching or just letting the cards fall? Letting the cards fall. I have full faith that the team leadership knows what it's doing, they don't need me over their shoulder inserting stupid opinions.

2. What is one thing that you would want to know about a potential prospect before drafting them to your team? How committed they are to earning. Period. Earning rights many wrongs.

3. How important do you think the offseason tournaments are to a player's legacy? Very. I think? I think any chance to gain accolades against your peers is something to put on the ledger.

4. This will unfortunately be the last season we have with Daniel Janser. How important has he been to the identity, success and legacy of this franchise? He's been everything to me, personally. Wouldn't be here with him, literally. 

5. I am off camping for most of this week! Do you enjoy camping/glamping? What are some luxuries you can't live without? Hate camping, never been glamping. This is ironic for someone who has a home in the mountains.

6. I assume we will be on the hunt for a new AGM soon. What are some qualities that you think make a great AGM? Communication, communication, communication. 

On 6/6/2023 at 9:01 PM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1) We’ve recently move Larry Abass Jr to start building toward our future! How do you feel about the acquisition of Rip Wheeler?!

LOVE the acquisition. Sorry to see Abass go - but I beat his ass for it during the Pro AM so we good now.

2) We’ve also hired a new GM as Tet has moved up to the GM ranks in the minor league! What are your thoughts on @Otis Boudreaux Jr as our new AGM?

LOVE the acquisition. Sorry to see Tet go - but I support his professional development! 

3) The draft is quickly approaching, what would you like Calgary do with pick 14? (Trade up, down, for futures, help current roster?)

LOVE the aqui.... oh wait, different type of question. I havent taken a look at our salary cap or depth but 14 could get you a sleeper HoFer so I will trust Ricer to do what he does so well!

75 assists, 10+ goals and more hits than 321 and more shots blocked that 176.

5) Need an update for all the newbies, what is your favourite NHL team? Who’s your super secret second favourite team?

I'm a Leafs fan just because I was born in Toronto. It's not my fault. As a kid I LOVED the sharks colour and logo so they've been my second team for a heck of a long time. 

6) Sushi? Yes or no? Favourite kind? Alternative?'

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

On 6/7/2023 at 2:01 AM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1. It's always sad to see a teammate leave the team, but I hope Larry finds success wherever he goes. Rip is a young gun with a lot to learn. I hope he follows the lead of Daniel, Landon, and Phil to fit right in.

2. Lovely selection, @Otis Boudreaux Jr is! Tet's opportunity as GM had been coming for a long time, but I feel like we replaced him with someone eager to learn the ropes and with the potential to be a future GM too.

3. The draft is always interesting, I don't really know what Kris will be doing, but who says we'll pick at 14?

4. Continental.

5. Maple Leafs. Super secret... wherever McDavid is. What a phenom.

6. Hell... yes! The simplicity of a good, marinated fish in a niguiri is all I need.

On 6/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1) I personally love the move!! Rips a total team guy that will play with some grit, and a bit of an edge! Excited to see him get a shot in the show! 
2) I’m sure Otis is gonna crush it as AGM! 
3) I trust the management group 100% to make the right call in the best interest of the club. 
4) 10 plus TPE weekly, contribute to a successful season. 
5) Kraken! Grew up a Leaf’s fan because of hockey night in Canada and Don Cherry…so they would be my secret second. Lol 

6) Sushi…100% yes. Love Nigiri, Hamache and Otoro are my favs!

IMG_7491.png

2) We’ve also hired a new GM as Tet has moved up to the GM ranks in the minor league! What are your thoughts on as our new AGM?

1. I trust every move that the team makes to make us the best team possible. Rip Wheeler is a fun addition to the team and I look forward to seeing how things go!

2. Tet will be missed! I'm excited to see what Otis can do in the role and can't think of a better mentor for them! 

3. I think at this point the Wranglers have a very good roster and should try to acquire future picks with pick 14 as we may need to rebuild down the road. 

4. I'm hoping that Lloyd will continue to build into a great role player for Calgary and hope to stay on top of my updates!

5. Favourite team is the Sens as I'm in Ottawa. Have been a fan since the 2000s and cannot ever have a different #1. My secret second favourite is a close tie between Winnipeg and Columbus. 

6. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

On 6/7/2023 at 3:01 AM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1. I trust the process and the management on that. It is a pity to lose the player who scored the cup winning goal, but nostalgia will not keep a team competitive forever.

2. Otis has big shoes to fill, as Tet was an amazing AGM. Welcome Otis and good luck in your new responsibilities.

3. At the time of writing this, we have already drafted. Looks like Calgary can stay competitive for a few seasons more.

4. Go out with a bang of course. Would be cool to add another Continental Cup to my Palmares.

5. The Pittsburgh Penguins with the Avalanche a close second, but any team with a Swiss in their roster gets some love from me.

6. Nope, I am not fond of raw animal protein, too risky in my opinion. my Sushi alternative is BBQ ;)

IMG_7491.png

It's always sad to lose a teammate such as Larry Abass Jr, we all still remember his hat-trick debut. I think Rip Wheeler is a good younger alternative so it will be good on the long term

I'm very happy about it! Otis has been a very active member and i saw them apply times and times again for an agm spot and it's fantastic to see them finally get one

The team drafted a few other guy but with pick 14 it was Jfaly which I think is a fantastic pick up it's the barbecue sauce after all.

30 goals or I'm a bust no in between

My fav team is ofc the Montreal Canadiens! My 2nd favorite team is not very secret lol it's the Kraken which I think I've said a couple times but i'm not sure

Well it might sound absurd but i've never tried sushis

IMG_7491.png

Presser for week ending June 18 2023

1. Draft day has come and gone, How did Calgary do with their 4 picks in the top 18?

2. The new prospects are fitting in well with the group so far. How do you find the overall experience in Calgarys LR?

3. What is a way that Calgary could improve the locker room experience?

4. What is your favourite number and what’s the story behind why it is your fave?

5. Calgary is down a forward after moving Sax Justice for a whopping 1st rounder, where should we look to fill this hole?

6. East coast or West coast? And why?

27 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1. Draft day has come and gone, How did Calgary do with their 4 picks in the top 18?

2. The new prospects are fitting in well with the group so far. How do you find the overall experience in Calgarys LR?

4. What is your favourite number and what’s the story behind why it is your fave?

5. Calgary is down a forward after moving Sax Justice for a whopping 1st rounder, where should we look to fill this hole?

1. I feel like the team did what they needed to do. Recharge the defensive depth. McGryer, Weiss and Block should make the Wranglers' defense elite in a few seasons. Then there is my player Shubham Anand. More on that later.

2. It is nice place. Very active.

3. I don't know. I am trying to improve the Halifax 21st's LR I would need ideas.

4. Shubham really likes the numbers 7, 8, 9, or any combination of those numbers because they are considered lucky in Indian culture.

5. Now we get to the part directly connected to me. I am honored to have been selected by that first round pick. I will fill the gap left by that trade in a season or two. But that is the future. Steve Lattimer is ready for promotion into the VHL. But if you need more grab a free agent to fill the hole until I am ready.

6. East coast simply because it is closer to where I live. (Midwest)

1. Draft day has come and gone, How did Calgary do with their 4 picks in the top 18? We obviously hit home runs. Our front office is better than anyone else's in the entire league. We set benchmarks everyone has to meet.

2. The new prospects are fitting in well with the group so far. How do you find the overall experience in Calgarys LR? A little too active for my liking since i get a lot of notifications haha, but it's cool. Good chemistry. 

3. What is a way that Calgary could improve the locker room experience? Less notifications but that's just for me specifically. I'm fat. 

4. What is your favourite number and what’s the story behind why it is your fave? Used to love 7 just because, 55 because I was a big man in high school basketball, don't know that I have a favorite number. 

5. Calgary is down a forward after moving Sax Justice for a whopping 1st rounder, where should we look to fill this hole? just rely on the team to become really good. Next man up.

6. East coast or West coast? And why? East coast because it's way more connected. Have lived on both coasts though. West coast is fine. 

1 hour ago, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1. I might be biased but I think Calgary crushed it in the draft. Made some good moves and picked up great players.

2. So far it seems like a pretty fun, active environment to be in.

3. I don't see much room for improvement at this point, everyone is welcoming and it seems fun. 

4. My favorite number is 3. I don't remember why I started liking it but I always picked it as my jersey number in school sports.

5. Probably free agency or maybe if there's a prospect to bring in.

6. I've never left the Midwest but the East coast seems better to me. 

3 hours ago, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1. I thought they did a fantastic job! This has the potential to be a class with as much impact as the S83 draft class, and each of the prospects has fantastic potential, with plenty more talent to be realized. 

2. It is, without a doubt, one of the best locker rooms I've ever been a part of. It's a great group of people and it didn’t take long at all to feel at home there. 

3. Really, how else can it be better other than adding more friends?

4. 24 has been a favorite number of mine as long as I can remember, in large part to it being my birthday. 

5. All depends on the market, ultimately. Who's available, what kind of cap space is available... but ultimately, I think the answer is already on the roster: Steve Lattimer. He's ready to make that jump to the VHL.

6. The East Coast, people aren't fleeing it due to the insane policies they've enacted. 

On 6/12/2023 at 6:20 AM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1) Solid prospects and definitely loaded up for the future!

2) very active room! I’m trying to keep up! Haha 

3) I think just engaging more myself…seems like a great group that I look forward to being a part of. 
4) 28…grew up watching HNIC on CBC…every Saturday, the early game (4pm western) was usually the leafs…grew up a leaf’s fan because of that…watching doug Gilmore, wendall Clark, mats sundin and of course Tie Domi! He was my fav and the reason i wore #28 when I played and why it’s my fav number now. 
5) Rip is ready for anything the team needs! Haha 

6) West coast all day! Lived in the Seattle area most of my life…love the water and awesome summers! 

On 6/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

steal. An absolute steal! All of them! 

It's the best lockerroom in the world. The guys are a natural fit because they are positive and chill. Love to see them embrace our community living! 

More saves in the counting rooms

13 because of Sundin - also the day I started dating my wife (Friday the 13th) and the day I proposed (another Friday the 13th). 

Shame to see Sax go, but he'll thrive wherever he is! I think we need another depth forward (or young forward to build). 

West coast because Rockies. I mean just LOOK at your forests and lakes there. beautiful

not very well I reckon all will bust and Calgary will be bad for years 

Daniel Janser stinks up the whole locker room so who could enjoy that experience 

Free deodorant for Janser and maybe some air fresheners 

69. Self explanatory 

Probably with another forward???

All coasts have something to offer. Arguing coasts is dumb 

On 6/5/2023 at 5:59 AM, Daniel Janser said:

Where about in Switzerland are you going?

I was in Zurich for a day, visited chapel bridge and went to Stoos! It was incredible!

On 6/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1. I think we did a fantastic job! We got some great prospects and it looks like they'll have a great impact for the team someday. Already a couple approaching 300 TPA and going to put me out of a job!

2. It's a very welcoming space you've built! I feel like part of the team and the overall vibe is definitely more like a family than anything. Looking forward to seeing where we go!

3. Free merch! Paid vacation! An allowance! 

4. I've always leaned to 33. It was a number I got as kiddo in youth soccer and I've stuck to it as a lucky number since.

5. Call up one of the exciting prospects and let them break franchise records! 

6. East coast best coast. Preferable sights to me but west isn't bad either!

On 6/12/2023 at 3:20 PM, Ricer13 said:

IMG_7491.png

1. I think we picked up some solid player for the future.

2. McDonald's-esque (meaning 'I'm loving it')

3. Get rid of those Toronto and Vancouver losers (jk love y'all)

4. 7 and it is related to my birthday (and one of my favourite defenders when a was a teen (Dino 'Dynamite' Kessler) who wore it when playing for Zug).

5. I think we found a very good solution on the FA market.

6. We do not really have coasts in the US I have only been to the East. For my country I say East because that is where they speak German whereas the West is French.