Calgary Wranglers press conference

diamond_ace

1. What's up, Wranglers?! Theme week is over. Did you have any favorites among the bunch?

I did not see any. Work's been kicking my butt so I've been on welfare for the past 5 weeks. It's sad. 

2. The trade deadline has also passed! Were there any trades you saw that were surprising?

Again, I haven't looked. I know Calgary didn't make any moves because we are basically stacked at the cap. Hoping that we end our cycle of 1-1 sims. 

3. Where is your player's confidence level right now from our strong comeback?
Below average to be honest. He's not producing like I expect him to offensively. Defensively he's been a tank and it looks promising, so it's not all doom and gloom.

4. Which hole against the goalie does your player love to go for? Goalies: which hole is your least favorite to defend?

I like under the blocker, above the pad. My experience is that this is the weakest spot. The weight of the stick and blocker makes it slower to react that the glove side. I hate try to block high shots/tips, you never know if the puck is going to end up in your throat or face. 

5. Are you watching any Star Wars this month? (May the 4th be with you!)

I am not. But I am watching Succession, Barry, Ted Lasso, and The Last Thing He Said to You

6. What was your favorite game played growing up? Tabletop, video, and even physical (like tag/hide and seek) included here.
Capture the flag, German Spotlight, F1 Grand Prix, Return to Zork, Ping Pong. 

On 5/3/2023 at 12:40 PM, Tetricide said:

IK2gIG6.png

1. What's up, Wranglers?! Theme week is over. Did you have any favorites among the bunch?

2. The trade deadline has also passed! Were there any trades you saw that were surprising?

4. Which hole against the goalie does your player love to go for? Goalies: which hole is your least favorite to defend?

6. What was your favorite game played growing up? Tabletop, video, and even physical (like tag/hide and seek) included here.

1. Theme week is a really cool concept and I should read more entries and participate but I just haven't had the time lately!

2. Nothing in particular coming to mind. I am only focused on my own player and seeing how the team is performing when I check in.

3. He's a solid little role player for the team! I think he has been decent considering his TPE levels and I hope the team is satisfied.

4. Anything in the direction of the net is a win for Lloyd but if he had to choose it's definitely the gap above the should with a clapper fired from the blueline.

5. Yeah! I need to catch up on Mando and check out Andor(sp??) I think!

6. I played a ton of video games growing up but it was definitely Pokemon that had the biggest impact on me. Will always love those games!

I generally liked all of them, but the GFX entries were my favorite. 

Not really. I've been focused on Moscow to be honest.

Well obviously my reply is from my own perspective, but Voss' confidence is OK right now, but he's only a pointless game away from having zero.

Hehehehehehehehe. Umm, whatever gives me the greatest chance of scoring.

No, not this year. Just don't have the time to dedicate to sitting down for that long.

Massive nerd as a kid, so Trivial Pursuit.

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 14, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! As we finish this week's games, how are we feeling going into the playoffs?

2. What's it like to be a Wrangler?

3. Who's your player's #2?

4. How accomplished does your player feel?

5. Are you following any of the NHL playoff games? Who do you have winning it all?

6. Does your computer have a CD drive on it?

15 hours ago, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 14, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! As we finish this week's games, how are we feeling going into the playoffs?

5. Are you following any of the NHL playoff games? Who do you have winning it all?

1. We know we can beat them all. Hoping for a deep run.

2. It is like being in a family with a bunch of annoying siblings (jk love y'all).

3. I am not sure what being a number two is. On the ice it has to be wolanin, in private life obviously Bonnie Ferguson.

4. A little sad that the 100 point streak came to an end. But still producing at a decent rate I dare say.

5. Nah, all my teams are out.

6. No they do not build them with cd drives anymore...

On 5/11/2023 at 10:25 AM, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 14, 2023

1. Feeling pretty good, anything can happen in the playoffs but I think we can make a deep run.

2. Being a Wrangler is great. Everyone supports one another and we all have the same goal (hopefully) of winning

3. That's hard to say, he played on a line with Janser and Wolanin, so probably one of those guys.

4. He feeling good, most if not all of his numbers improved from last season.

5. Yea I am. My Oilers biased in me says the Oilers.

6. No.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:25 PM, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 14, 2023

1. Pretty optimistic! We've got a fantastic squad coming off last season's Cup win and we're led by some of the best in the biz.

2. It's pretty great to be involved in such a storied franchise! I likely wouldn't be in the VHL without this team. 

3. Hard not to go with Janser. Despite being a star he cares for all his teammates and the only way Lloyd gets points is if he can manage to find Janser with a pass!

4. He's just happy to be getting success as part of the team. Player success is second to him.

5. I watch when I can! Toronto is gone so I'm thrilled. I think Carolina takes it all. 

6. Absolutely not that's so outdated. 

awlJLHK.png

Week ending May 21, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! Playoffs start this week! What's the vibe?

2. What is your player doing in their downtime until the first series starts?

3. The staff have organized a charity event where one-of-a-kind player jerseys are being actioned off and the proceeds go to a non-profit! Which charity/non-profit organization would you see the team supporting most?

4. What has your player been working on in the practice facility lately?

5. Are you allergic to bees?

6. Would you rather fight a bee as big as a person or a bee as strong as a person?

1 hour ago, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week ending May 21, 2023

3. The staff have organized a charity event where one-of-a-kind player jerseys are being actioned off and the proceeds go to a non-profit! Which charity/non-profit organization would you see the team supporting most?

6. Would you rather fight a bee as big as a person or a bee as strong as a person?

1. I think we can beat anyone, but this is also true vice versa. Still hoping for a repeat.

2. Spending quality time with Bonnie and Callum. Maybe Kurt is coming over as well.

3. I think a children's hospital would be a cool outlet for such funds. DJ would double the revenue of his Jersey.

4. Mainly maintenance work for these old bones.

5. I think I have a slight allergy to bee stings (not the 'I cannot breathe anymore' sort but I stepped on a bee when I was young and I could not fit into any shoes anymore, despite immediately removing the stinger).

6. I assume a bee as big as a person would be considerably stronger than a person is. Hence the former seems to offer the better fighting chance.

I have no idea, i thought we didn't make it. If that's true, then sad.

ALways in the grind. That's what I do. That's what my coaches want out of me. Always getting better.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Poke Checking. That's what my coaches laid out for me in terms of my offseason regimen, and that's what I'll be much better at come next season. 

Nope. I hate them though.

Small person for agility? 

On 5/15/2023 at 2:20 PM, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week ending May 21, 2023

1. Excited to get things started.

2. Pollishing of his game.

3. Youth sports or a childrens hospital.

4. His Strength. Winning battles in front of the net and in the corners.

5. No.

6. Probably as strong as a person. The bee is still small which would be an advantage and make the fight easier.

On 5/15/2023 at 4:20 PM, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week ending May 21, 2023

1. Vibes are good! We're confident going into it and I hope we're going to see a repeat here.

2. Studying film and trying to sell some computers on the side. You always need a plan B when you're an athlete!

3. Especially with the recent wildfires turning Calgary into a smoky mess I see the team really getting behind the Red Cross to support any family impacted by these fires.

4. Lloyd has been working on his offense so he can get a goal here and there and help the team out!

5. I am not but I'm terrified of them.

6. Neither. I'm getting the hell out of dodge at the sight of either.

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 28, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! We've defeated Chicago in the semi-finals 4-1. As this post, we're tied with our current opponent Seattle 1-1 in the conference finals. Where is your player's confidence level compared to last week?

2. Oskar Lindbergh is currently leading playoff goalies with an incredible .961 save percentage, allowing only 9 goals with 2 shutouts. What is it like having a goalie of this caliber on the team?

3. Who would you rather see in the finals... London or a rematch against Davos?

4. Which of your teammates has given some inspiration to your player lately?

5. Is it warm enough yet? It's been around 30C for us down here in Texas.

6. How do you like your eggs cooked?

6 minutes ago, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 28, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! We've defeated Chicago in the semi-finals 4-1. As this post, we're tied with our current opponent Seattle 1-1 in the conference finals. Where is your player's confidence level compared to last week?

2. Oskar Lindbergh is currently leading playoff goalies with an incredible .961 save percentage, allowing only 9 goals with 2 shutouts. What is it like having a goalie of this caliber on the team?

1. I was a little shocked we made it through Chicago tbh considering how mid we were against them, I'm jsut hoping to get ahead tonight!
2. Gives the rest of us ample opportunity to score some goals on the other end!
3. ...London
4. I am always inspired by Phil, he gives off such great energy.
5. Well I was awake multiple times last night overheating even with 2 fans blasting and my window open to the like 12C temperatures outside.
6. I like runny yolks, but I also love a good scrambled egg with other yummy things inside.

9 minutes ago, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 28, 2023

1. Unbroken. We beat them last season, we can do it again.

2. It is nice to know to have a netminder which is able to steal the odd game or to compensate when his skaters are having a rough night.

3. In either case Switzerland is going to win. A repeat of last season's final makes a good story and so does a clash of brothers.

4. Lindbergh and Abbass. The former for the aforementioned reasons, Abbas for being so clutch with 3 game winning goals as a sophomore.

5. We are slowly getting there, could use some degrees more.

6. I am not a big cooked eggs fan. I prefer fried eggs or scrambled egg. Otherwise I just eat the ones my wife makes with a semi-liquid egg yolk.

Did we? Damn I had no idea. Let's do this. My confidence went to irrelevant to sky high.

When you have a backstop like Oskar, it gives you all the confidence in the world. Can skate more freely, aggressively, put more pressure on the opposition. This is the style we want to play but can only play with a guy like big dick Oscar.

rematch. Kill them.

Janser. I don't know if he's actually a teammate or not but he's my guy.

Too warm too fast. Love me some sweatshirt weather.

Completely depends. On top of a burger? Fried, sunny side up. Bagel sandwich, give me scrambled. Never poached.

16 minutes ago, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 28, 2023

1. Very high, just as it was then. This is a team built to win. We've been there before and we're ready to do it again.

2. There's no next season anymore for me, so I've got to leave nothing out there each and every game. I want my final game to end lifting the Continental Cup once again.

3. I want to see the team who earns their way there.

4. Phil Strasmore has been playing out of his mind to keep the opposing team from feeling comfortable, and that makes my job so much easier. He's been a real difference maker out there.

5. It's hitting that real sweet spot in Pennsylvania, mid-70s with cool breezes. Love it!

6. I don't really care for eggs at all, other than as a baking ingredient.

22 hours ago, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 28, 2023

Well i've never been a 1st round performer you could call vlg a maple leaf ( altough the leafs can't perform in the 2nd round either apparently) but now that the first round is passed i'm much more confident in Vlg

it's the dream man i'm an habs fan we've always been carried by franchise goalie so i really enjoy having the same in the vhl cause we know how it ended for the canadiens ( 24 stanley cups)

London obviously facing my former gm in the final would be incredible! One rookie gm already failed to make the final in the M I really hope it won't be the case in the VHL... 

Oskar Lindbergh outscoring me in the first round was a very humilliating case for me lmao It made Vincent realized that even tho he can't play in the 1st round he had to pay up for it in the 2nd round 

Well it's becoming warm again ! Even tho it snowed a bit last week we're around the 15-20 range in Celcius! We've stared working to open the yard the last few weeks and the jacuzzi should be ready quite soon 

I don't like eggs 😬

On 5/22/2023 at 8:54 AM, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week Ending May 28, 2023

1. It was pretty high after he was a point per game in the second round but that production didn't happen in the third sadly.

2. It helps us win close games and steal a few games.

3. Well we lost in the conference finals but I would have liked to play London.

4. Osker because of how well he was performing in the playoffs.

5. It's right around the sweet part of 18-22C.

6. I like scrambled eggs.

awlJLHK.png

Week ending 4 June, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! This week, the VHL finals come to an end and the off-season starts (hopefully)! I know we didn't make the cut to the finals this time around, but how do you feel about how the rest of the teams did from each sort of final (quarter/semi/cup final)?

2. Speaking of the off-season, the World Cup is back! Who are you rooting for?

3. The Commissioner's Cup was also just announced for its return! Do you think this will help keep the interest of new, prospective members of the community?

4. This season marks the end of an incredible legacy that Oskar Lindbergh has left for the Calgary Wranglers as he has retired, and as a team we helped him get his name etched on the Continental Cup! He was also awarded the Daisuke Kanou Trophy, the playoff MVP! Do you have any kind farewell words to say?

5. How was your weekend?

6. For whatever sports team you're watching and supporting on game day, do you wear any of their apparel? Whether it be a jersey, hat, or socks...

9 minutes ago, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week ending 4 June, 2023

1. What's up, Wranglers?! This week, the VHL finals come to an end and the off-season starts (hopefully)! I know we didn't make the cut to the finals this time around, but how do you feel about how the rest of the teams did from each sort of final (quarter/semi/cup final)?

3. The Commissioner's Cup was also just announced for its return! Do you think this will help keep the interest of new, prospective members of the community?

4. This season marks the end of an incredible legacy that Oskar Lindbergh has left for the Calgary Wranglers as he has retired, and as a team we helped him get his name etched on the Continental Cup! He was also awarded the Daisuke Kanou Trophy, the playoff MVP! Do you have any kind farewell words to say?

5. How was your weekend?

6. For whatever sports team you're watching and supporting on game day, do you wear any of their apparel? Whether it be a jersey, hat, or socks...

1. oh damn, I do not know. It is a good story that London made the finals after not going beyond the first round ever before.

2. Europe of course, hoping for a repeat.

3. It certainly does not hurt to get new members to see their players in action more often.

4. Hey Lindy you are always welcome for a fishing trip with me and Marcel on our dad's yacht.

5. Sunny at long last, we did some gardening and do to pentecost it was an extended weekend to boot.

6. I only do that when I go to the stadium or in a pub (and not even always then) but not when I am at home.

On 5/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, Tetricide said:

awlJLHK.png

Week ending 4 June, 2023

5. How was your weekend?

1. Congrats to both Seattle and London for making the finals. Also congrats to London for winning the finals. It was a pretty tight playoff this time around, any team could have made a deep run.

2. Team Canada.

3. I think it would be fun. More sims never hurt anybody.

4. It was an honor to be your teammate for two years and I wish you the best in retirement.

5. It was good. I spent time with family.

6. I wear a jersey normally.

awlJLHK.png
Week ending 11 June, 2023

(I wanted TPE, and I know that @Tetricide has better things to be doing right now than writing our PC ❤️)

1. The draft is right around the corner! How do you like to enjoy draft season? Are you drafting, watching or just letting the cards fall?

2. What is one thing that you would want to know about a potential prospect before drafting them to your team?

3. How important do you think the offseason tournaments are to a player's legacy?

4. This will unfortunately be the last season we have with Daniel Janser. How important has he been to the identity, success and legacy of this franchise?

5. I am off camping for most of this week! Do you enjoy camping/glamping? What are some luxuries you can't live without?

6. I assume we will be on the hunt for a new AGM soon. What are some qualities that you think make a great AGM?

2 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

awlJLHK.png

(I wanted TPE, and I know that @Tetricide has better things to be doing right now than writing our PC ❤️)

1. The draft is right around the corner! How do you like to enjoy draft season? Are you drafting, watching or just letting the cards fall?

2. What is one thing that you would want to know about a potential prospect before drafting them to your team?

3. How important do you think the offseason tournaments are to a player's legacy?

4. This will unfortunately be the last season we have with Daniel Janser. How important has he been to the identity, success and legacy of this franchise?

5. I am off camping for most of this week! Do you enjoy camping/glamping? What are some luxuries you can't live without?

6. I assume we will be on the hunt for a new AGM soon. What are some qualities that you think make a great AGM?

1. I'll be watching them all closely. What will the Wranglers and the Express do? Where will @cLoWn go in the VHLM!?

2. How curious they are. That and the usual over/under on the old toilet paper question.

3. Heavily underrated, because they're not part of the Portal. I love that both Zef Goncalves and Leandro Goncalves have won the World Cup!

4. DJ was the catalyst for this period of dominance in Calgary. His influence can't be understated enough.

5. Camping is good, but glamping... woooooooooo! (Potable) Water has to be it, in this case.

6. Active and eager for knowledge. Someone who's opinionated and not afraid to give it. Someone proactive.

27 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

awlJLHK.png

1. I certainly was more involved when I was a GM in the VHLM/E. I will not follow it live as it is at 1AM my time on a Monday.

2. To feel out whether I have a franchise lifer or a journeymen. Sure, TPE are important but life can get in between and so to me is secondary-ish...

3. I think the JST serves to retain player who created after TDL (and for GM's to scout), the ProAM is just for having fun in silly teams which you would never see in that composition. But the ones creating tangible legacies are the WC and WJC which can make or break the entry of a player into the triple gold club.

4. I plead the fifth on this one, hoping I have done what was expected of me/my player.

5. I used to like it in my teens, but to quote Roger Murtaugh: 'I am too old for this shit.' I think in our day and age Wifi/connectivity would be difficult to waive.

6. Just being a good person one can have a friendly banter with. And one who complements the GM in the day to day business of managing a team (be it scouting, writing PC's or analyzing the stats to tweak the strats/lines. This depends heavily on the GM in question.