The Commissioners Cup is Back!

Gustav

tumblr_mp9fjaFhvJ1rs8jbdo2_250.gif

If you're an older member who cares about the VHLM, first of all, thank you! There aren't enough of you in our fine community.

Second of all, if you were active anywhere between S67 and S72, you may remember an offseason tournament held between the VHLM commissioners at the time--@Banackock and @diamond_ace--called the Commissioners Cup. And, as Bana said in a status update from 2021 that I don't know how to link to, "Greens haven't had the drive to get er done since."

Well, good news, VHLM: @Spartan  and I are here to change that. Introducing...the revival of the Commissioners Cup, starting this offseason! The basic rules are as follows:

• The Commissioners Cup is a best-of-three series featuring the best of the VHLM, facing off against each other on two teams, one drafted by each VHLM Commissioner.
  • The two teams, TEAM GUSTAV and team spartan, will consist of 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalers each. Any player who spent the last season in the VHLM is eligible for selection.
  • That's it! Winners receive bragging rights, and 40 of you get to see your player in a few sims this offseason.

Spartan and I will hold our draft live on stream, Wednesday night at 8:00 Eastern. Hope to see you there!

@VHLM GM

11 minutes ago, Gustav said:

The two teams, TEAM GUSTAV and team spartan

My favorite line in this post 😂

This is exciting! Would have loved to see this when I was in the VHLM but I'm looking forward to watching this with our current VHLMers. I'll be tuning in for the draft. Can't wait to find out who will reign supreme! 

37 minutes ago, youloser1337 said:

Interesting, this is similar to the junior showcase tournament.

But, JST does include new members and this doesn't. A good initiative for VHLM players!

I'm assuming both will run concurrently?

They're independent of each other; we've never had anything to do with JST. Honestly, our sims will come out whenever our simmer is able to have them ready, and that's good enough for us not to ask too many other questions.

A note on wording here--I'm assuming this is what you meant but JST is (as far as I know) new member-exclusive, while this is all-inclusive. We'll certainly have new members on our rosters (and I think it would be pretty stupid if we didn't), but the only qualification for ours is that you were in the VHLM last season regardless of first-gen status.

47 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I've saved up all the luck from finals losses to dunk on you, nerd.

Yeah, well, I've saved up all the luck from...my entire GM career...for this very moment. 

nope-dunk.gif

• Commissioner
5 hours ago, Gustav said:

JST is (as far as I know) new member-exclusive, while this is all-inclusive.

It isn’t, though there’s potentially an argument for that. I was drafted in it the past two seasons and I’m about as far as new as you can get.

I remember this being an absolute blast to see! Great idea to bring this back and I am excited to see how much of a rivalry Team Gustav (The amazing and bold ones) and Team Spartan (Yes, I know, his name had to be on the team name... Rules you know). 

Jokes aside - I hope everyone involde is going to have fun times and will be able to see how this goes! I have always personally looked at this as a bit of a All-Star Game experience for VHLM.

2 hours ago, Beketov said:

It isn’t, though there’s potentially an argument for that. I was drafted in it the past two seasons and I’m about as far as new as you can get.

Then I guess it's exactly the same player pool, just without the 150 TPA cap. Goes to show how independent JST is from commie business.

Hopefully the overwhelming desire to play for TEAM GUSTAV outweighs any redundancy we've got.

I'm honestly really glad to see this back! This always seemed like a fun way for the VHLM commishes to unwind after a long season, and the sims were always very bizarre. Glad to see this tradition return.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Gustav said:

Then I guess it's exactly the same player pool, just without the 150 TPA cap. Goes to show how independent JST is from commie business.

Hopefully the overwhelming desire to play for TEAM GUSTAV outweighs any redundancy we've got.

I hereby propose we sim it with the madness that is V2 if you want to really separate it and create some madness.

39 minutes ago, KRZY said:

Where can we see rosters ? Definitely interested to see who makes the cut to represent you both !

We'll be streaming our draft live tomorrow night at 8 PM EST on my Twitch channel! I'll make a formal calendar event tomorrow morning with the link.

4 hours ago, Spartan said:

We'll be streaming our draft live tomorrow night at 8 PM EST on my Twitch channel! I'll make a formal calendar event tomorrow morning with the link.

Sounds good thanks man , excited to see this play out