Mexico City Kings Press Conference

Nykonax

On 10/5/2020 at 9:48 AM, Hylands said:

Win streak edition!

1. We managed an incredible 6 game win streak this past week. Do you think that's the limit for the Mexico City Kings?

2. We've welcomed a few new players in the past few days, have we solidified our squad well?

3. Can we can catch the group of teams just ahead of us in the standings?

4. What's your favourite thing about playing in Mexico City?

5. Have you got your eyes on any VHL teams that you want to be drafted by?

6. Which team in the VHLM will make a surprise run for the playoffs?

1. No, I think we can do better.

2. Definitely this will help us alot this season, by adding more depth.

3. Yea i think we can go up one or two spots in the standings.

4. Being around people I know from the SBA.

5. No not really, haven't been paying attention to the VHL teams.

6. MEXICO WILL

On 10/5/2020 at 7:48 AM, Hylands said:

Win streak edition!

1. We managed an incredible 6 game win streak this past week. Do you think that's the limit for the Mexico City Kings?

2. We've welcomed a few new players in the past few days, have we solidified our squad well?

3. Can we can catch the group of teams just ahead of us in the standings?

4. What's your favourite thing about playing in Mexico City?

5. Have you got your eyes on any VHL teams that you want to be drafted by?

6. Which team in the VHLM will make a surprise run for the playoffs?

1. I have no idea if this is our peak, because I'm a newbie, but hopefully we can continue to play amazing and hopefully make the playoffs.

2. You have definitely solidified your squad well, not to toot my own horn, but I'm one of these new signings, even if this post is 5 days old.

3. I believe in us, and hopefully that means something. Again, I don't know a lot about this squad.

4. My favorite thing, so far, has been the friendly atmosphere and locker room.

5. Nope, but that doesn't mean that I don't wanna play for anyone.

6. I have no idea, maybe us if we're included?

Trade deadline edition!

1. We're struggling to make up ground on the teams ahead of us, what will be our key to gaining traction on them?

2. Our backup goalie Mike Sterling has 2 shutouts in 4 starts, how important is a solid backup goaltender for a team?

3. Trade deadline is today (Monday)! What should the Kings be looking at acquiring?

4. Are there any other VHLM teams you would want to play for?

5. We have earned ourselves the nickname of "Streak Busters". What makes us so effective against teams on a big winning streak?

6. Are you more of a taco person, or a burrito person?

Just now, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1. We're struggling to make up ground on the teams ahead of us, what will be our key to gaining traction on them?

2. Our backup goalie Mike Sterling has 2 shutouts in 4 starts, how important is a solid backup goaltender for a team?

3. Trade deadline is today (Monday)! What should the Kings be looking at acquiring?

5. We have earned ourselves the nickname of "Streak Busters". What makes us so effective against teams on a big winning streak?

1. Staying consistent and winning the games we should.

2. It's important

3. We should be fine

4. Nah

5. Our Goalies & Defence

6. Burrito. Chipotle and Qdoba are the shiit

4 minutes ago, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1. As long as our guys keep focusing and playing our best we should start catching them. The good news is playoffs are pretty much guaranteed. 

2. Hey I'm doing my best! I haven't been perfect but for a backup I haven't done all that bad

3. That's a difficult one because I really do see our time to win as next season. Many teams will be losing their top stars while we will hopefully be able to retain this team with our draft picks. I'd say maybe a 100= TPE LW but I also think that can be acquired at the draft. 

4. No! I love it here in Mexico City, great management and great bunch of guys. 

5. Our team seems to have a little extra motivation against teams that feel confident! It's a fun little term we throw around before games to get pumped to go Streak Busting

6. Taco personally

14 minutes ago, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1. Winning more games than they do.

2. Mike who? Where's Emerson ?

3. Moar players, we almost have no bots playing.

4. Why would I play for other team when the Kings exist? But probably the Wild.

5. Spike their water of course. Drugged team is not a good team.

6. I'm a taco person personally.

49 minutes ago, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1. The leaders aren't invincible, we've just gotta keep grinding and we'll make up ground naturally.

2. The head tender needs to take a break and with such a solid backup in Sterling we don't have the morale drop that other teams would have when they put their backup in.

3. I think we're in a solid spot, we have consistent lines front to back and a decent amount of picks in the bank.

4. No, I like where I'm at with the Kings.

5. We don't get intimidated by teams with big streaks, we just go out there and play our game.

6. Tacos, there is nothing better than a few cheap tacos. 

7 hours ago, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1. Playing smart, and not forgetting tpe

2. A solid backup is pretty important, but everyone is important, regardless of what position you play or how you play it.

3. No idea

4. Maybe Las Vegas

5. I have no idea, but just playing smart, and playing hard.

6. 100% burritos

On 10/12/2020 at 10:53 AM, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1. keep earning tpe and staying active

2. very important, its good to have alot of depth on the team

3. don't know maybe more picks?

4. No, unless Dyl is on the team

5.  Sabotaging their equipment of course, just playing hard and smart

6. Definitely burrito there is more filling and you get more food.

Trade deadline edition!

1 Everyone has to be active weekly at the least, and always earning tpe.

2 Solid backup goaltending is crucial. Helps to have 2 goalies available for use.

3 I think I was a pretty good pickup, a scoring winger.

4 I would be happy on any team.

5 I don’t really know much about this team yet. I’ll figure that out.

6 Tacos definitely, way better.

Trade deadline edition!

1. Well you know, we need get more pucks deep you know, play the body more you know, keep it simple you know, one game at a time you know.

2. Well you know, 2 is better than 1 you know, you know some times Marky boy needs a break you know, good to have a guy we trust going in you know. 
3. Well you know, definitely not another right handed D you know, I just play hockey you know, I just play the pass on a two on one you know. 
4. Well you know, I do like Mexico you know, but you know, I like Canada too you know, but tacos you know.

5. Well you know, we are hard to play against you know, we play physical and forecheck hard you know, we get the puck deep you know, we have great management you know, big hits you know.

6. Well you know, Tacos 100 percent you know. 

Trade deadline edition!

1. I think personally the best way to gain traction all starts with a good morale, you know we've been losing games from time to time.. currently on a bit of a cold streak but when we get the engines going, magic happens. I've seen the team go on hot and cold streaks now so as we're reaching the end of the season, we just need that final push of motivation.

2. Mikey has done good for us, got his off days but it's always good having a solid backup. It gives us and the fans some relief if Emerson needs a day off we don't gotta worry whenever the opponents shoot, we can trust him.

3. Defense. Powerplay Kills are very important and with some additional skill, I think we can get Sterling a few more shutouts.

4. Honestly I'm open to anyone that's interested, Mexico City has been great to me and if I were to stay on the team, I wouldn't mind. I think if I REALLY had to pick, I'd go with a team that's in the States. 

5. I think the team really thrives on momentum, whenever we win one game there's several more to come and whenever we lose a game... well you know. It's good to stay consistent it's just a matter of staying consistently good. By the way, those jerseys look GREAT.

6. Tacos. Tacos and no tap water... trust me. 

Playoffs are here edition!

1. It looks like we're destined for a 7th place finish, are you happy with where we will probably end up?

2. Las Vegas seems to be our most likely opponent in the first round of playoffs, what will be our key to success?

3. We had a massive slump in a crucial time of the season, what helped us break out of that funk?

4. Do you prepare for playoff games differently than you would a regular season game?

5. What's your favourite part about playing in Mexico City?

6. Who do you think is the most important player on the team right now?

12 minutes ago, Hylands said:

1. It looks like we're destined for a 7th place finish, are you happy with where we will probably end up?

2. Las Vegas seems to be our most likely opponent in the first round of playoffs, what will be our key to success?

3. We had a massive slump in a crucial time of the season, what helped us break out of that funk?

4. Do you prepare for playoff games differently than you would a regular season game?

1. Yeah, I didn't expect us to do this well so I'll take a 7th.

2. They're all gambling addicts, just get a slot machine in the rink and we'll be fine. 

3. We need EMERSON back!!

4. Yes. More coke and hookers is needed for better play.

5. Mexico City is the only team with budget rory and budget hylands. Dealbreaker against any other team.

6. Can I say me? I'm gonna say me because I have almost the most tpe.

17 minutes ago, Hylands said:

1) We have a good team and things will get better. 

2) We have to some how shut down their amazing scoring powerhouse. 

3) We just need to stick to our game. 

4) No I don’t prepare differently. 

5) The rink is my favorite in the league. 

6) I would say the goalie is most important. 

46 minutes ago, Hylands said:

1) it could be worse but we all want 5th

2) Keeping their shots limited. We only need to win by 1

3) Luck

4) Nah they’re all the same just in a series format

5) The active lockeroom

6) Me Ofc without me or the backup goalie you’d lose every game :))

1 hour ago, Hylands said:

1. Compared with where we were going to be-6th-7th is definitely worse, but wayyyyy better than not making the playoffs

2. Our key to success will be keeping leads, we've been losinng close games and if we can keep a few goals from ending up in the back of the net, we'll win the series.

3. We just have to reset when playoffs come around, what's happened happened and we need to look to the future.

4. No, I try to give every game my all.

5. The culture

6. Mark Emerson Jr., as long as he keeps stopping pucks, we'll keep winning.

3 hours ago, Hylands said:

1. Yes, we are in a playoff position. 

2. Las Vegas is a really strong team, so we are going to have to come together and work as a team. Everybody needs to contribute. 

3. Not too sure why we were slumping, I guess we just got unlucky.

4. No not necessarily. I treat every game like a championship game.

5. The tacos for sure.

6. Markus Emerson Jr.

3 hours ago, Hylands said:

1. Personally not so much, I think with our cold streak it really took us down a peg. Those games against Yukon and Ottawa were very important for us which led us to 7th place. I'm grateful to be in the playoffs, no doubt about that. Regardless, let's see how this rolls out.

2. No pun intended but I'd say luck. I mentioned before this team thrives on motivation and morale so I hope we can finish this season with a hot streak so we can enter the playoffs and Vegas with nothing but fire. 

3. The team is very aware when we're doing poorly, we talk about it openly and don't hold back. Its that determination to win is what makes us bounce back, we get our asses beat and instead of taking our time to get back up and recover we all go "Alright, no more. Let's f***ing win. Let's change sh*t up, let's get our sh*t together and let's win."

4. I try my best to stay away from superstitions but with playoffs I put a lot more focus on the team. Instead of wearing my own clothes when coming into the arena, you'll probably see me in a Kings hat or shirt, playoff beard gonna grow for sure, gotta keep our luck with us. Rituals, anything.

5. The Latino culture I'd say was a good reminder of my heritage, I'm not Mexican but getting involved and more familiar with my surroundings was great. I have a feeling people really enjoyed seeing "Sosa" on a Mexico City jersey which makes me very happy.

6. Myself. Nah, I'm kidding. I want to say Emerson and Sterling simply because goaltending is a very important thing for us but everyone is important. The centers, the forwards, the defense, the coaches, the goalies, everyone. We're all important, we all need to be a well oiled machine entering the postseason. We want that crown.

8 hours ago, Hylands said:

1 I am satisfied with any playoff position. If we keep staying active we can become a better team in the playoffs. 

2 The key to success will be to keep upgrading tpe. We can become a playoff team 

3 upgrading important things with our tpe helped us win games

4 I like to upgrade for a few different things then normal during the playoffs

5 I like that we are a playoff team, but an underdog, it makes the season interesting

6 I think RJ thatcher is currently the most important player on the team. He has the most tpe by far and is a scorer.

On 10/19/2020 at 12:09 PM, Hylands said:

1. Playoffs is playoffs! It's what we do there that counts!

2. Shut down defense play a low goals series and we will be able to win

3. We came together as a team and we worked on the areas that needed help

4. I get my spot on the bench nice and cozy (I'm likely not getting any starts lol)

5. We've got a great group of guys here, honestly great locker room environment and a team that all really like each other

6. Emerson he's really got to shut down if we're gonna have a shot

Not really.  I would have hoped for a better finish.  Then, on the other hand, we are in the playoffs, so anything can happen in the "second season".

I think we have to score early and often.  We have to keep our compete level as high as possible and win those 50/50 puck battles.

I was recruited part way through the season, so have no first hand knowledge of the said slump.  I believe that management helped out here by bolstering the roster with more talent.

Not really.  I mean you want to keep your routine as stable as possible.  Granted there is a bit more anticipation for the game, but you can't really prepare for that.  Once the puck drops it is pretty much the same.

Well, you gotta love the weather and all that great Mexican food.  Otherwise, I have enjoyed my team mates and coaching staff.  They have been a great help.

Godd question.  And one to which you already know the answer.  There is no "I" or "U (you)" in team.  Everyone has a role to play and a job to do.  The most important aspect of our game right now is solid team play.

#nocaps edition :(

1. We were eliminated in the first round of playoffs by Vegas, and the series finished 4-1. Are you surprised by this result?

2. What are your goals in the off-season as far as improving your skills?

3. If you are draft eligible this season, are you excited for the upcoming draft? If you have been drafted already, what advice do you have for the players waiting to hear their name called by a VHL team?

4. Are you the type of person to vacation during the off-season, or just stay at home and chill with the family?

5. What kind of things will you be doing to pass the time until hockey resumes?

6. Are you overall happy with how the season went for you? If not, why not?

3 minutes ago, Hylands said:

#nocaps edition :(

1. We were eliminated in the first round of playoffs by Vegas, and the series finished 4-1. Are you surprised by this result?

2. What are your goals in the off-season as far as improving your skills?

3. If you are draft eligible this season, are you excited for the upcoming draft? If you have been drafted already, what advice do you have for the players waiting to hear their name called by a VHL team?

4. Are you the type of person to vacation during the off-season, or just stay at home and chill with the family?

5. What kind of things will you be doing to pass the time until hockey resumes?

6. Are you overall happy with how the season went for you? If not, why not?

1. No not really. We all had hope that we could win it all, but deep down, we knew that this isn't our year. Next season though...

2. I'm not entirely sure. Will have to ask coaches budget hylands and budget rory.

3. Uhh I dunno what I am. All I know is that I'll be playing for the Kings next season and that's all I care about. If you're leaving us, sayonara suckers, we might include you in our victory speech.

4. The latter. People don't realize how long you stay away from family and friends during the hockey season. So it's nice to spend all the time you can. Plus, traveling throughout the year for games is like taking a vacation to see a new place each week.

5. There's always hockey. I'll be training my ass off after a short break.

6. I'm happy with how it went. I played well and we outperformed expectations.