Mexico City Kings Press Conference

Nykonax

Week 2 chillin edition

1. Are you surprised by how we came out firing, going 8-2-0 to start the season?

2. Houston hasn't even lost a game yet, what can we do to possibly be the first to hand them an L?

3. Have you been living up to your pre-season expectations so far?

4. Building on that, what have you identified as a key area you need to improve on?

5. What's your favourite fast food for when you just need a quick meal?

6. What should we hand out after each game to acknowledge the "Player of the Game"? Perhaps a poncho?

1. Are you surprised by how we came out firing, going 8-2-0 to start the season?

No, I expected us to have a strong start to the season and we're doing just that.

2. Houston hasn't even lost a game yet, what can we do to possibly be the first to hand them an L?

Let me hit every single player on their team. I want blood against those guys. 

I guess? I want to be a defensive defenseman and it looks like I'm filling that role well. 

4. Building on that, what have you identified as a key area you need to improve on?

Probably my goalscoring but that's not really a big thing.

A cheeky Nando's is always good.

6. What should we hand out after each game to acknowledge the "Player of the Game"? Perhaps a poncho?

I like the poncho idea a lot actually. Sure, why not?

25 minutes ago, Hylands said:

Week 2 chillin edition

1. No, i joined yesterday so idk much about the players, but i do know that the name Mexico came in clutch. 

2. I think we should give them a surprise, for example if they play with a strategy (idk if strategies exist in this game) we could spend some more time than usual studying on how to counter it.

3. I joined yesterday so I haven't played a game yet.

4. Same answer as #3.

5. Underrated opinion incoming.  Omelette or some tacos.

6. A role for how many of play of the game awards the player has been rewarded.

Not in the slightest. We have some tough opponents that are also cup contenders this year, but I'd argue that it will really end up being between us and Houston on who will go all the way to the promised land of lifting the cup. I'm super proud of the boys on what they've done so far and here's to more wins!

Play tighter on defense is really the only way. When we went up against them earlier in the season we gave them a run for their money, but we ended up losing due to it being a scoring gallery. If we can put up the goals and have a bit more of shutdown defense, we surely will give them the hugest L possible.

As the team waterboy/AGM, I think I've done a decent job so far. The one thing that I'm disappointed in is not being able to offer on players quicker than most other teams (mostly due to either timezone differences or just not being on the forums by the time I've seen a posting), but we were able to grab @Vatrecently off waivers which I'm pumped for since he's another Euro!

I think for myself, I need to really purse hyping up the locker room more as well as seeking more waiver players to grab. I want our locker room and roster to be a fun group that loves to be here and wants to win a cup, and I think the first step is getting a bumping locker room.

I would say sushi, but after moving to Budapest I gotta unfortunately go for McDonalds. European fast food hits different, and the McDonalds here is actually not bad. But damn do I miss my Dominos Pizza ;(

A Player of The Game Poncho alongside a coupon for 50% off a Taco Bell Burrito would be the ideal. Something tells me that @Jakefufuis a huge burrito guy who would kill for one of those for each POTG.

Mid-Season Form Edition!

1. Do you think we can overcome one of Minnesota or Houston or are we destined for a 3rd place finish?
2. Which team at the bottom of the standings do you think will turn it around and make a playoff push?

3. If you could have a personal goal song, which song would it be?
4. Who do you think our biggest rival is this season?

5. Our goal differential is up there with the best in the league, do you think we stand a chance if we were to face off against a top team in the playoffs?

6. What is your favourite meal to eat for breakfast?

1. Do you think we can overcome one of Minnesota or Houston or are we destined for a 3rd place finish?

I think we can pass Houston. Screw Houston.
2. Which team at the bottom of the standings do you think will turn it around and make a playoff push?

Honestly, I'm not sure if any of them can turn it around.

Not really a music guy so none.

Houston due to proximity and my personal dislike of them. To one-up them would be very good.

5. Our goal differential is up there with the best in the league, do you think we stand a chance if we were to face off against a top team in the playoffs?

Oh of course, we can go up with any of the top teams and beat them.

I like bangers and mash. Good old english food.

I have full faith in our boys to come up clutch and absolutely dominate Houston and Minnesota. We were able to defeat Houston once and all our games with them have been close, same with Minnesota. If we continue our pace and our progression, I say we are in tight contention for a cup run 👀

I have a strong feeling about Halifax @rory... :kekw:

Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca would be my go-to choice for 😎

Houston without a doubt, they were the clear cut cup contenders alongside us for the season and we've been butting heads all season. A close second would be the Yukon Rush as we've had some hectic games with each other and I have some personal vendettas with them.

I think this is the main reason we have a really good chance to go toe-to-toe with Houston and Minnesota in the playoffs. We aren't playing well because we're lucky, we are playing well because we are a good team and I can't wait for the boys to go clutch mode in the plofs.

I'm an absolute sucker for breakfast wraps. Throw some scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, and sausage all into a quesadilla wrap and I'd be the happiest boy in town.

Edited by Juice

28 minutes ago, Hylands said:

Mid-Season Form Edition!

I think we are going to overtake one of them to become the 2nd place and end the season there, and honestly were good enough for 2nd place and i think that we will get up there very soon.

Halifax 21st.  I think they have had a very up and down season and i think they can turn it around very quickly, with some luck and skill i think they could take it to quarters.

The race by Yello, nothing more to it.

Houston.  We began the season very tight with them and we're in a race for the first spot, now they have taken of a bit in the league, but i think that next season we will take the lead of the standings instead of them.

That depends on what kind of team we are playing, if we are playing a team with a lot of defence in focus it would clash well with our goal differential, but if we would meet a team with many scored goals and many let in goals then i think there would be a what we call in sweden "målkalas" where there would be so many goals that the defence doesn't try as much more to defend only attack.

I like keeping it nice and easy so cereal and some chocky milk to make the pain go away.

17 hours ago, Hylands said:

Mid-Season Form Edition!

1) We a good chance to overcome those two teams. 

2) I think most of the teams will stay similar to what it is now. 

3) Any pumped up song by the Swedish band Blindside would work for me. 

4) Probably Minnesota and Houston are rivals. 

5) Yes we are scoring goals consistently. 

6) I love the sausage egg n cheese biscuits. 

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping the momentum going edition!

1. The team is at the bar after a great win, you order a round of drinks for everybody, what do you choose?

2. How do you relax and get rid of stress after a long day?

3. Which team has impressed you the most in the VHLM this season?

4. You have been approached by a company to do a sponsorship deal. What is the ideal company that you would want to sponsor you?

5. What is the ultimate goal you have as a player?

6. Do you prefer chewy or hard chocolate chip cookies?

1. The team is at the bar after a great win, you order a round of drinks for everybody, what do you choose?

I am choosing a good old British pint, probably Fosters.

I like listening to music; it calms me down and destresses me.

I think it's gotta be us for keeping Houston within reach.

4. You have been approached by a company to do a sponsorship deal. What is the ideal company that you would want to sponsor you?

I would want to be sponsored by a building company since I am like the houses they build: a brick wall.

To lead the league in shots blocked and hits.

Chewy since because I am British I have bad teeth.

42 minutes ago, Hylands said:

I'm not legally allowed to order drinks so i would choose choky milk or capri sun

Chess.com and underrated opinion, doing homework

Definitely minnesota.  They didn't look like a top team in the pre season but now they're in 2nd place

Playstation, i think they would hook me up with free playstation to grind hut with the boys

Win any kind of silverware or be an important part of a team

6. Do you prefer chewy or hard chocolate chip cookies

Chewy, especially if they are straight from the oven.

23 hours ago, Hylands said:

1) I would order a round of “ Red-Headed sluts” for the boys. 

2) I usually hit the hot tub and smoke a bowl. 

3) Houston is very dominant and in first place. 

4) I wouldn’t mind be sponsored by “ Essentia “ bottled water with a 9PH. 

5) I want to win a cup with the Kings before I join Calgary next season. 

6) I like both. Hard cookies are good dipped in coffee. Chewy is just good period! Lol

On 2/10/2021 at 3:58 PM, Hylands said:

1. Probably just vodka

2. Usually just by playing more hockey

3. Saskatoon, they just demolished us a couple games ago

4. Probably Air Greenland

5. To win the Founders Cup!!

6. Chewyy

Trade deadline edition!

1. We are now just 2 points out of 2nd overall, do you think we can make a late challenge for 1st?

2. We had a couple trades go through recently, do you think they are what we need to make a cup run?

3. Of the 4 teams at the bottom of the VHLM, who is most likely to make a late push into the playoffs?

4. What would be your ultimate cheat meal?

5. What made you choose the username you currently use?

6. How often do you exercise or try to stay active during the week?

1. We are now just 2 points out of 2nd overall, do you think we can make a late challenge for 1st?

I think first my be out of reach, but 2nd is definitely within our grasp.

2. We had a couple trades go through recently, do you think they are what we need to make a cup run?

I haven't looked at them but Hylands has a big brain so I trust his judgement.

3. Of the 4 teams at the bottom of the VHLM, who is most likely to make a late push into the playoffs?

Philly.  I know talking good about Philly might be a sensative subject for the team, but I think they can do it.

Some kind of super pizza, taco, pasta monstrosity.

Garsh is the shorthand name for a Balrog that was in a LotR tabletop RPG my friends and I played many years ago.  I use the full name or the short form for aliases sometimes.

I've been living a pretty sedentary life for several years because of a chronic condition, but have been trying to get moving every day now.

Edited by Garsh

5 hours ago, Hylands said:

1. i don't know about 1st.... but 2nd gonna be reachable

2. yes!!!! i'm here now ahahah

3. gonna go with philly

4. hmmm let's see.... nothing

5. my name everywhere ahaha

6. once a week

21 hours ago, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

I don't think we will place 2nd. I know that we will finish 2nd or higher.

My brain is pretty microscopic when it comes to players around the league, but if Hylands thinks it's good then i trust him.

I don't think it will happen but most likely would be Halifax 21st IMO.

Fried cheese sticks, pizza with a lot of cheese burgers on and the biggest cup i could find filled with coke.

Flip my first name around and take the first 3 letters.

I've got 2 Handball lessons a week + 2 p.e passes per week which are pretty intense.

On 2/15/2021 at 5:50 PM, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1) I think it will be hard to over take first. 

2) It definitely helps us make a solid run. 

3) I don’t think any of them will. 

4) I would say Little Debbie fudge brownies. 

5) My son came up with it for me as a silly online nickname. 

6) I lift weights 3-4 times a week. I need to work on cardio though. 

I think if we try hard and believe in ourselves this group of players can do anything.

Yeah of course, it brought me here (please ignore that I have been useless thus far)

Since most of them have now been eliminated uh... Who ever's left probably has the best chance.

Traditional Faroese stuff. Sluppöl to drink, and lots of lamb, ræst kjøt style, and of course you have to include fish, ræstur fiskur style if you want to be really authentic.

Dude I've had this name for like 8 years I don't know I think goats are funny.

I do a lot of cardio and that's about it.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:50 PM, Hylands said:

Trade deadline edition!

1. Of course, we win these

2. For sure. Nobody can beat the us now 👑

3. I'd say the Hali? 21st century is their time

4. kraft dinner crepes

5. my name!

6. depends on how much free time but usually most days

Playoffs are here edition!

1. Our 1st round matchup is against the Las Vegas Aces, do you think we can brush them off?

2. Of all the 1st round matchups, who is most likely to pull off an upset?

3. Any thoughts on who will be taking over Mexico City after I leave for Malmo?

4. Which team in the VHL or VHLM has the best logo?

5. Are you looking forward to either draft that's coming up?

6. Are you currently binge watching any TV shows?

37 minutes ago, Hylands said:

Playoffs are here edition!

1. Our 1st round matchup is against the Las Vegas Aces, do you think we can brush them off?

1) I think every match up in the playoffs will test us. But I believe we can win it. 

2) I think Yukon can bring an upset in the first round. 

3) I truly don’t know but I’m sure they will find someone. 

4) I have always like Mexico City logo and also Prague& Helsinki also. 

5) I haven’t had much time to get excited for the upcoming drafts. 

6) I was binge watching the Sinner show. 

12 hours ago, Hylands said:

1. of course!!!!

2. hmmm predators maybe?

3. hmmmmm no clue at all

4. dragons and our own

5. nope.....

6. nope.....