Does the brand tournament really matter?

Enorama

Does the brand tournament really matter?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm trying to get a feeling for whether people care about this, because it seems like for two seasons in a row there was no real discussions about it beyond a couple execs flaunting their team's success.

No one cares about the brand tournament. I thought it was kind of cool but overall it isn't very interesting. World Cup is 10x better. 

• Commissioner

IMO, no. Not even just for the money. Honestly we don’t need the extra money that bad IMO and it just caused extra headaches during off-seasons which are already busy enough.

I voted yes, but my interaction is limited, I more or less use it is a preliminary look into how my player will likely sim for the upcoming season. Last tournament I blew it apart, ended the regular season with triple digits. This tournament I sucked, and my player is struggling early. 

15 minutes ago, Beketov said:

IMO, no. Not even just for the money. Honestly we don’t need the extra money that bad IMO and it just caused extra headaches during off-seasons which are already busy enough.

Which is why I said beyond the money. If people really only care about the money there's other simpler ways to go about distributing that.

If the brand tournament is done away with, there will need to be a significant cap upgrade or some other way to get players additional money. Right now the standard VHL rookie contract is somewhere in the $1 - 1.5 mil range (which is less than the base VHLM contract, how does that make sense?).

Most items in the player store cost $3 mil plus, so it could take some rookies up to 3 years to even be able to buy one item from the player store.

With most VHL teams already having cap issues, I'm not sure how money is going to get into the hands of members of the upcoming rookie classes.

6 minutes ago, DMaximus said:

If the brand tournament is done away with, there will need to be a significant cap upgrade or some other way to get players additional money. Right now the standard VHL rookie contract is somewhere in the $1 - 1.5 mil range (which is less than the base VHLM contract, how does that make sense?).

Most items in the player store cost $3 mil plus, so it could take some rookies up to 3 years to even be able to buy one item from the player store.

With most VHL teams already having cap issues, I'm not sure how money is going to get into the hands of members of the upcoming rookie classes.

There's a minimum salary by TPE: 

So if rookies stay active, they should be making in the multi million dollar range in no time at all.

Also, there's only been two brand tournaments so far, so people managed just fine without the extra money in S63 and earlier.

Edited by Enorama

2 minutes ago, Enorama said:

So if rookies stay active, they should be making in the multi million dollar range in no time at all.

That's assuming they didn't sign a multi-year deal, which all 20 of the top TPE earners for S66 signed 3 year deals. 

Just now, DMaximus said:

That's assuming they didn't sign a multi-year deal, which all 20 of the top TPE earners for S66 signed 3 year deals. 

Multi year deals are affected by the TPE salary minimums too, the portal just doesn't reflect future years. I signed my deal at 3.5m per but am making 5.5m this year. All the future years still say 3.5m but they'll jump to 5.5m as I hit each year.

1 minute ago, Enorama said:

Multi year deals are affected by the TPE salary minimums too, the portal just doesn't reflect future years. I signed my deal at 3.5m per but am making 5.5m this year. All the future years still say 3.5m but they'll jump to 5.5m as I hit each year.

Awesome, I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, Enorama said:

I'm trying to get a feeling for whether people care about this, because it seems like for two seasons in a row there was no real discussions about it beyond a couple execs flaunting their team's success.

You forgot another option:

"We want the SuperCup" 

I think people wouldn't mind it if, let's say, the winning teams gets a small player cash bonus

$1,000,000 for all players on the Brand finishing 1st

$500,000 for all players on the Brand finishing 2nd

$250,000 for all players on the Brand finishing 3rd

Then we'll care more than the SuperCup!

Great idea, but league needs to do more to promote it and make sure the managers are active.

Once again only way I even knew the games started was randomly seeing someone posted something in the brands section one day, so I went in and looked - oh nice games started. Could also make sure every team is ´good enough´ before the tournament starts (something else than bots in net)

Fun idea, cool idea, but needs active people to run the teams, help from the league in terms of some kind special PT around it before it starts and members tag to make sure everybody is aware the action is starting.

I really wish there were something outside of regular league games that we could get into. Like the brand tournament, but somewhat improved, I guess. I don't care about the tournament in its current state, that's for sure.

Maybe cut paychecks in half and make the tournament once per season as opposed to once every two?

I'd like to see how the tournament might be improved, as opposed to just scrapped outright and forgotten about. 

But it's true, right now, it sucks. Let's not do another tournament in the way that we have been doing them.

3 hours ago, Esso2264 said:

i like Jolt Juice LR, it was me and Eno trying to figure our how to be good and thats it

And we (really just I) failed miserably. 

I think one of the big issues was that there was a lot of hype when it was announced and players were signing, then nothing happened for like 2 months since it was off-season only. The time between signing the contract and actually playing is so big that you forget about it.

What might make it more interesting is to make it a more constant thing. Like each weekend have a few exhibition games or a mini round robin or something. Track wins for each team for each of these weekends, then when the off-season comes for the main event, instead of a small "regular season" just seed all the teams based on those exhibition weekends and just have one big playoffs tourney thing.