Malmo Nighthawks Franchise Breakdown - Part 1 (FORWARDS)

Advantage

:mal::mal::mal:

THE FORWARDS

Matt Thompson - Trevor Van Lagen - Ryan Sullivan Jr.

Joey Boucher - Phil Marleau - Matthew Materazo

Jack Lynch - Mikka Pajari - Lucas Nygren

Matt Thompson – The premium VHL Free Agent available this off-season decided to take his talents to Sweden and become the top offensive threat on the Malmo Nighthawks.  This is the third season for Malmo and this is the first one where we can say that they seem to finally be a playoff contender.  This is mainly due to the addition of Matt Thompson, who is a sure-fire Hall of Fame talent once he retires.  The scoring sensation comes into his eighth and final year with one thing left to accomplish before hitting the retirement books and eventually being enshrined.  Thompson currently sits with 362 goals and 341 assists throughout his 504 game career.  This leaves Thompson just 38 goals away from the illustrious 400 goal mark, a total that has only been hit six times prior (Campbell, Stolzschweiger, Szatkowski, Rafter, Molholt, Unassisted).  Potentially more importantly, if Thompson can have an incredible scoring year and finish with 46 goals, he will finish his career fourth all-time in goals.  The two-way legend is coming off his worst season since his rookie year, but he has continued to score at least 43 goals a season ever since his rookie year where he filled the net 33 times.  Will Thompson be able to reach all of his goals or will he flame out under the pressure of being the top threat on Sweden’s only team.

Trevor Van Lagen – What an incredible opportunity TVL is going to have in his second season with the Malmo Nighthawks.  Van Lagen was unfortunately stuck on the third line wing during his rookie season, but still finished with 16 goals and 14 assists during the campaign.  Van Lagen was promoted up to the first line due to his incredible effort this past off-season and due to the belief that his scoring ability should fit nicely alongside the two veterans on each wing of him.  Van Lagen should see a fair bit of improvement this season offensively and also physically as he has improved his build to become a bit more physical.  The 24th overall pick from Season 67 still is looking like a massive steal for the Malmo Nighthawks and with continued improvement it will be interesting to see if the young center has a chance at becoming the most improved player this season.  One scout from a rival team even indicated as such saying: “Van Lagen is a guy to watch out for from Malmo.  He had respectable numbers despite playing very little last season, and now he’s getting inserted between two legitimate top liners and will get every opportunity.  He is going to stand out this season for sure.”

Ryan Sullivan Jr. – The winger who was recently converted from a defender is coming off a season where he was awarded the Jake Wylde Trophy for being the best defensive defender in the Victory Hockey League.  How will his skills translate to forward? We’ve known for a while that RSJ has a build that definitely could lead to a lot of offense as a two-way playmaker.  Sullivan Jr. has recorded 229 points and 808 hits in 288 games over his career thus far, but many seem to think that by switching to forward and continuing to develop, he definitely could step up and be a legit monster alongside Thompson and TVL.  When asked about his transition to forward, Sullivan Jr. had this to say: “I have felt for a while now that I could transition nicely to forward and with the trade I feel pretty confident that I could explode as the passing option for Matt Thompson.  I’m looking forward to being in a new position on a new team and I really think this will be a successful move.

Joey Boucher – Mr. Boucher was recently acquired from the Toronto Legion, alongside the S70 TOR 2nd and 4th Round Picks in exchange for veteran defender, Basaraba Moose, and both Koda Adok and Brendan Plunkett.  He was acquired to be a pass-first guy on a second line that features two shoot-first guys in Phil Marleau and Matthew Materazo.  Boucher is coming off a career-best season with 72 points in 72 games where the talented winger recorded 42 assists.  Boucher is entering the last couple seasons of his career but seems to be hitting his peak, so being added to a line with a really tremendous goal scorer in Materazo and a physical sophomore scorer in Marleau, could be very beneficial to Boucher.  Ultimately though, it remains to be seen whether his age will start to show and if so, it seems that he would have plateaued last season.

Phil Marleau – This man was expected to be the first line center in this upcoming season, but will instead stay on the second line.  Marleau had a 52 point and 343 hit season this past year, where he was the league’s top hitter.  Marleau continues to improve as the third overall pick enters into his second year of his career.  The two-way physical scorer should really step up offensively this season as he now will get an opportunity to play with a true goal scoring star in Matthew Materazo and with a talented playmaker in Joey Boucher.  Marleau will be in an interesting position going forward as he is competing with Trevor Van Lagen internally to be a top center on the Nighthawks.  The question will be whether Marleau can be more than just a two-way player, or will he fall into the role of just being a physical player who scores at a mediocre rate.

Matthew Materazo – This guy may be the ace in the hole for making this team a playoff team.  Everyone will point towards Thompson and Sullivan Jr. but there is something to be said about last year’s top scorer for the Nighthawks.  Materazo scored 36 goals and was over a point-per-game in his second season with the Nighthawks.  Materazo, who was selected from the New York Americans in the Expansion Draft, has been a loyal and dedicated member of the Nighthawks ever since joining the team and is really just starting to hit his peak.  Thus far in his VHL career he had one rough year with the Americans but has been a thirty-plus goal scorer for Malmo in both of his campaigns.  He has shown steady improvement from 33 points to 58 and now to 74, so I am certainly very curious to see if he can become a legitimate star on Malmo’s second line alongside an excellent passer in Boucher and a great two-way scorer in Marleau.  Materazo isn’t necessarily on track to be a Hall of Fame player but with a couple of massive seasons he definitely could get himself a much more impressive resume and people should not count him out in award contention this year as he is likely one of the best second line players in the league.  Materazo was caught going off on how he feels this season will go: “I’m going to tear it up.  Everyone is talking about Thompson and Sully and our sophomores, and they just forgetting about me.  I was an All-Star last season and I was a tremendous goal scorer last season with not much help.  This season I’m going to tear it up even more and be an absolute monster and I’ll will the Nighthawks to the playoffs.  Mark my words Malmo fans, I got your back and I’ll get you to the show.  I am Malmo.”

Jack Lynch – This man has been quite a successful player through his career in Malmo so far.  Lynch has recorded back-to-back seasons of 64 and 63 points where he has been a fixture in the top-6 for the Nighthawks.  Unfortunately for Lynch, with the recent changes to the Nighthawks, he will find himself on the third line this season alongside veteran center, Mikka Pajari, and rookie sensation Lucas Nygren.  This undoubtedly is the best third line in the Victory Hockey League but Lynch will definitely take a bit of a minutes hike.  In response to the demotion, Lynch took the change in stride: “I’m here to do my job and I know I am still going to be a fixture on the Power Play and Penalty Kill.  We are a competing team and having better players around me will just push me to do better and will put our team in a more competitive position at the end of the year.”  Lynch, who is entering his third season in the league will look to hit twenty goals and sixty points for the third consecutive year so if he can play well, perhaps he can get moved up in the lineup to give himself a better shot at those goals.

Mikka Pajari – The veteran Swiss center is entering the final season of his career.  Pajari is going into his third season with the Nighthawks and has been a fifty-plus point threat over both of the last couple seasons.  Pajari has recorded 284 points in 432 games, but that isn’t the true measure of his impact.  Pajari has developed into a very physical player ever since Season 65 and currently sits with 1047 hits.  This past year saw Pajari record 50 points and 287 hits and this year could see him put in a more defensive role.  Pajari will center the third line of the Nighthawks alongside Lynch and Nygren.  Pajari certainly is showing his age and really isn’t a threat to put up too many points, but he is expected to be a fixture on the penalty kill and will be put in positions to be a physical and defensive forward that can perhaps help the likes of Nygren and Lynch receive the space to fill the nets.  As a vet in his last season, this unheralded forward will look to add his second Continental Cup of his career by anchoring down the Malmo third line.

Lucas Nygren – Finally, our Swedish sensation will see a big minutes hike this season with how talented the Nighthawks are getting.  Nygren will be seeing more sheltered minutes this season after recording a league-best 63 points for a rookie last season.  While it seemed like an excellent season as a rookie, the addition of Thompson, Sullivan Jr. and Boucher to the wings for Malmo, moves down both Jack Lynch and Lucas Nygren to the third lines.  Nygren is a great skater who knows how to fill the net, evident by his twenty-seven goals last season on the second line.  The Malmo born forward has done everything possible to take the move in stride posting the following letter on his Instagram: “I know everyone is asking me my thoughts on being moved down to the third line.  I can say I am very excited to be on a great team like this with some of the additions we have made.  I am thrilled to have my agency partner, Ryan Sullivan Jr., on our team and I love the other additions on our team.  I know that many are concerned for me but I have a lot to learn as a player and I am going to use this opportunity to get better away from the puck and to be a better overall player.  I have a lot to work on leadership wise as well so I am really looking forward to taking this challenge and making magic happen.  I have a place in Malmo for a long time and I see this as a long-term experience for myself.  There will be rises and falls and I am here for all of it.  I am hoping I can help the team in whatever way possible so that we can get to the playoffs and bring glory back to my home country.  You all deserve it and we have the greatest fans in the world and you deserve to see wins and not just hope for wins.”

20 minutes ago, Quik said:

@Advantage care to explain why this was posted 38 minutes ago, but is being claimed for the weeks ending August 11/18/25 and September 01?

Also, why there's 2 claims on the birthday 12 for both your players?

advantage.png

Honestly this just broadcasts the issues I have with updaters approving their own updates in the queue. Back claiming? I get that, and the double birthday TPE I get can be a mistake too. I've accidentally double claimed media spots when my phone is slow and just spammed the submit button. Always gets detected, but it's happened. 

Edited by Peace

10 minutes ago, Peace said:

Honestly this just broadcasts the issues I have with updaters approving their own updates in the queue. Back claiming? I get that, and the double birthday TPE I get can be a mistake too. I've accidentally double claimed media spots when my phone is slow and just spammed the submit button. Always gets detected, but it's happened. 

The last time I approved an update of mine was June, it's shady as hell tbh, especially if you're skipping others in the queue to do so.

2 hours ago, Quik said:

@Advantage care to explain why this was posted 38 minutes ago, but is being claimed for the weeks ending August 11/18/25 and September 01?

Also, why there's 2 claims on the birthday 12 for both your players?

advantage.png

Yeah, WTF?! That's one way to make a push for the playoffs

2 hours ago, Peace said:

A mistake is one thing, doing it and approving it yourself for 2 separate players isn't a mistake.

6 minutes ago, Bucky___lastard said:

A mistake is one thing, doing it and approving it yourself for 2 separate players isn't a mistake.

I didnt update it for Sullivan but yea I acknowledge the mistake.  I panicked after seeing how long it had been (forgot to post an old one) and made a mistake I shouldnt have.  Take it to the PMs @Quik  can talk about it

I'll take my lumps.

Edited by Advantage

3 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I didnt update it for Sullivan but yea I acknowledge the mistake.  I panicked after seeing how long it had been (forgot to post an old one) and made a mistake I shouldnt have.

I'll take my lumps.

The birthday double tpe is there for both players, twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...