Code of Conduct and Job Expectations

The VHL is not a place free of drama and it never will be. We are a diverse community that will often not see eye to eye on things. In situations with people of diverse experience, I think it would be helpful to have more clearly defined expectations. I want to use two recent examples to make this case and then give a couple ideas for improvement.

In @Tate's recent "How to Fix Retention" thread. There was a clear mismatch between Tate's expectations of what staff should be doing to retain players and what certain staff members understand as the expectation. And here's the thing, they were both right. Since there are no clearly and publicly stated expectations of the conduct or responsibilities of staff, everyone was just working off of their own internal guess at what those expectations were.

Similarly, in @GustavMattias's recent thread about the VSN, there was much debate about who was doing a good job and who wasn't over at the VSN. But once again, here's the thing, there is no clear and public record of what the expectations are of VSN staffers. So everyone is operating under a different expectation of what those staffers should be doing. Consequently, whether or not a person thought the current VSN staff was doing a good job was directly tied to their interpretation of what that job entailed.

Finally, in a recent game thread, @Josh and @Banackock were called out for some offensive language/slurs, and the ensuing hubbub revealed again that there was no consensus on expectations. Some members thought what they did was clearly wrong, while others took it to even further depths in discord. All of this could have been solved if there were clear and public expectations of community conduct.

So here are my suggestions to make this a more enjoyable place for everyone!

Detailed Job Responsibilities for All Roles

What does a GM do? Is it the same in the VHL as in the M? How about the Head of Recruitment? What are the expectations places on a Commissioner? I don't have any clue and I can't find it explained anywhere on the forum. Having a stickied thread with each job role detailed would be extremely helpful. It would let everyone know exactly what realms each job oversees and what those staffers are expected to accomplish. That way, no staff member will be expected to do more than they are required to do and the community can clearly recognize when someone isn't fulfilling their responsibilities and the leadership can make appropriate adjustments.

Community Standards of Conduct

I don't think we need a comprehensive list of approved words and unapproved words. But I do think we need some clear and specific lines that shouldn't be crossed. This is a sports league, we want trash talk and good-natured fun, but it is important that we prevent that from turning into trolling and harassment. I don't claim to have all the answers on this one, but I think it is a necessity for allowing members, especially newer ones, to know what to expect and what is permitted.

I believe that these would be helpful to people on both sides of these types of conflicts. If there are clear expectations, no one will have excuse to be surprised when something they do is considered wrong by others or when something someone else does is permitted. Sometimes conflict is necessary, but it is rarely fun. I believe that these changes would help everyone to understand their place here and appropriate ways to interact with each other.

Since Erik beat me to the punch and  I don't think two threads are necessary here's my thoughts on the matter.

It seems that a proper code of conduct might be in order for the staff of VHL. I want to make it clear that I have never seen or felt like a staff member of the VHL has ever intentionally been malicious or hateful to any group. I have had nothing but a great time in the past 2 months I’ve been involved here. 

That being said after a few incidents since I’ve been here it’s clear a standard Code of Conduct needs to be established. This can be as simple as a few rules that outline things that staff members should keep in mind while interacting with the community. If we want it to be more robust it should outline how incidents should be handled. Having a uniform set of rules like this can greatly increase the comfort of the members of the community as well as hopefully help resolve any problems when they do arise. For every problem that someone brings up vocally there are at least some number of people who feel the same way but aren’t willing to bring it up. Having a code of conduct could potentially help make those people who aren’t comfortable raising their concerns feel more comfortable in the VHL.

I realize everyone here is just doing this as a hobby for fun but that’s no excuse for not putting in the effort to build a good community. While there is no way to cater to the beliefs and thoughts of everyone in a community this size, there should be steps taken to try and make that number as big as possible. For me, ultimately the goal is to have fun, and the only way to do that is to feel welcomed and comfortable in the community. Having a defined Code of Conduct is a great way to allow more people to achieve that goal.

Again I feel the need to point out that I don’t feel like anyone is a problem here. Yes, members of the staff have made questionable choices, but I feel they are open to having those choices questioned. For every one issue with the staff I’ve seen someone raise, I’ve seen ten encouraging and helpful actions by them.

Sadly, there is one thing I do thing is a problem that has been becoming more and more prevalent in the community. More than often than not the content and outcomes of these discussions are turned into a meme. I’ll be the first to admit I’ve probably been apart of this behavior. Lately it’s gotten to the point where it feels like it’s directly insulting and belittling the person who brought up the complaint. This problem is most obvious in the VHLM discord. To me this kind of response is completely unacceptable. I for one will do my best to never fall into this pattern again. Each complaint against the community, no matter how trolly or not, should be taken seriously. Even if it feels like a complaint is trying to troll the community if we turn that complaint into a meme then the troll has one. I want to see this community thrive and become a great place to hang out and meet new friends. I don’t think that can happen when we turn other peoples problems into memes.

I hope my contribution here isn’t taken as a negative opinion on the community. I’ve loved my time here and plan on spending a lot more. I want to see every single person in this community feel comfortable and have a great time just like I have. It saddens me to think some people don’t feel that way. It might not work but I think a Code of Conduct might help in creating a better community. While I have zero experience I'd love to be included and contribute my time to building a Code of Conduct if we end up going that route. If you've gotten this far thank you for your time and I hope you'll join me in making our community better.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Cxsquared said:

Since Erik beat me to the punch and  I don't think two threads are necessary here's my thoughts on the matter.

It seems that a proper code of conduct might be in order for the staff of VHL. I want to make it clear that I have never seen or felt like a staff member of the VHL has ever intentionally been malicious or hateful to any group. I have had nothing but a great time in the past 2 months I’ve been involved here. 

That being said after a few incidents since I’ve been here it’s clear a standard Code of Conduct needs to be established. This can be as simple as a few rules that outline things that staff members should keep in mind while interacting with the community. If we want it to be more robust it should outline how incidents should be handled. Having a uniform set of rules like this can greatly increase the comfort of the members of the community as well as hopefully help resolve any problems when they do arise. For every problem that someone brings up vocally there are at least some number of people who feel the same way but aren’t willing to bring it up. Having a code of conduct could potentially help make those people who aren’t comfortable raising their concerns feel more comfortable in the VHL.

I realize everyone here is just doing this as a hobby for fun but that’s no excuse for not putting in the effort to build a good community. While there is no way to cater to the beliefs and thoughts of everyone in a community this size, there should be steps taken to try and make that number as big as possible. For me, ultimately the goal is to have fun, and the only way to do that is to feel welcomed and comfortable in the community. Having a defined Code of Conduct is a great way to allow more people to achieve that goal.

Again I feel the need to point out that I don’t feel like anyone is a problem here. Yes, members of the staff have made questionable choices, but I feel they are open to having those choices questioned. For every one issue with the staff I’ve seen someone raise, I’ve seen ten encouraging and helpful actions by them.

Sadly, there is one thing I do thing is a problem that has been becoming more and more prevalent in the community. More than often than not the content and outcomes of these discussions are turned into a meme. I’ll be the first to admit I’ve probably been apart of this behavior. Lately it’s gotten to the point where it feels like it’s directly insulting and belittling the person who brought up the complaint. This problem is most obvious in the VHLM discord. To me this kind of response is completely unacceptable. I for one will do my best to never fall into this pattern again. Each complaint against the community, no matter how trolly or not, should be taken seriously. Even if it feels like a complaint is trying to troll the community if we turn that complaint into a meme then the troll has one. I want to see this community thrive and become a great place to hang out and meet new friends. I don’t think that can happen when we turn other peoples problems into memes.

I hope my contribution here isn’t taken as a negative opinion on the community. I’ve loved my time here and plan on spending a lot more. I want to see every single person in this community feel comfortable and have a great time just like I have. It saddens me to think some people don’t feel that way. It might not work but I think a Code of Conduct might help in creating a better community. While I have zero experience I'd love to be included and contribute my time to building a Code of Conduct if we end up going that route. If you've gotten this far thank you for your time and I hope you'll join me in making our community better.

Just curious do you mean a code of conduct for the staff or for the members or both?

We do have an overarching code kicking around somewhere but I’d need to dig it up. It obviously doesn’t cover every little thing because that would be impossible an in general we do like some ambiguity with our rules because having everything set 109% in stone just leads to people trying to find loopholes but if the CoC needs to be updated to be a bit more strict that’s more than reasonable.

11 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Just curious do you mean a code of conduct for the staff or for the members or both?

We do have an overarching code kicking around somewhere but I’d need to dig it up. It obviously doesn’t cover every little thing because that would be impossible an in general we do like some ambiguity with our rules because having everything set 109% in stone just leads to people trying to find loopholes but if the CoC needs to be updated to be a bit more strict that’s more than reasonable.

I was suggesting a Code of Conduct mostly for the staff. The forum itself should have rules for all members but that's a different discussion. There's no real reason why you couldn't have a code of conduct for all members but then you can easily run into the same ambiguity and loopholes like you said. If we have a staff specific CoC then we shouldn't have to worry about people trying to find loop holes. If they are then they shouldn't be staff. It's more a set of guidelines/suggestions on how to hopefully create a positive and inclusive community rather than a set of strict rules.

posted this in BoG. Felt it was something okay to be transparent with. :) 

Spoiler

So Im not going to explain or apologize any further. Blown out of proportion but I see their point. "That's gay" is an expression I use, many use and I hear often throughout say the work week, etc. Gay has become dumb. Or shitty. Or whatever. I understand why it looks bad as gay also equals something else. It just kind of what it became to todays newer society. People have an issue with it in the VHL. Again, blown out of proportion LARGELY. I was part of the problem. It was a mistake. It wasn't anything malicious. It was us using slang without realizing it's slang. To me, the word just had different meanings. Literally the word read in a way. IDK? He likes to read. I read a book. I understand how it looks bad being in a position of power and that position shouldn't be an excuse as to why it should be okay or less of a concern. I take full ownership and accountability on this. Do I think it was stupid? Yes. And that's how I'll say it from now on as opposed to "Do I think this whole situation was rather gay?". It's just common respect and decent. It bothers some people. Why do we want to make them feel like shit? Like okay, shit talk one another and beat one another up about how ones player is shit and the other one skates Mcdvaid's around so and so. Awesome. But man, this personal stuff lets just stay away from. Time to take our shoes off and place someone else's on. it wouldn't be a good feeling.

Anyway, it's not wanted here and bothers some people. It's a pretty understandable thing to be a little stirred up about and not really a huge thing for the community to grow. I do believe that a serious talking to of certain members and they will change. I know if you spoke to @DilIsPickle and said "Hey, man. You're a good member. You drive amazing activity, you can be super funny and super resourceful. You've done great things for the league. You bring great things, aspects and traits to this league. It's okay to be a dumbass on the league. If you're annoying, you're annoying.  But we can't be harmful in the way that we're attacking someones person." and after a while, I feel like he would come around. I don't think there would be too much issue. It's okay if you don't agree with "that's gay" as a bad thing. I don't think it's a bad thing in one sense being that it has a different meaning or view point to some. But, it bothers people and the use of one word to describe something else which is negative - hell yeah that would be upsetting. But what we need to do is let the league and it's members, as well as the SBA know, that is isn't allowable in the league. Take that in whatever way you want. You can smoke in your house maybe, not at McDonalds. Different rules, different stands. I also understand what were talking about and smoking privileges isn't a great comparison. My point, the standards of the VHL were in question because something that you know, can be seen as negative was being allowed in such a way that it actually was causing some members harm. That's not what the VHL is about. That's not the VHL I work so hard to serve. The VHL should be a place where people feel welcomed, not judged, not discriminated etc. This is the perfect place for people to be exactly who they are - comfortably, without fear of having to be what society shapes or forces us to be. 

I'm guilty of being a bit of an asshole. Straight up. I pride myself in being a member that isn't afraid to say anything - even if it could mean getting a little beat up. If I feel it's right or worth the fight, I speak up. Never be afraid to use your voice to fight a fight that you believe is worth fighting. Say what needs to be said even if the majority are afraid or don't have the balls to say it or maybe even because you're a little afraid to say it. Whether or not I 100% agree with the extremism and ways it unraveled and escalated so quik, I do appreciate @Doc Holliday @Beowoof and company for having said ability to stand up for something that is right. We're all wise enough in our few years to know that what they're asking for isn't wrong and that if done, it wouldn't bring negative change and in the long run would improve so many aspects of the site, the league and it's members. The whole motion was much too fast, people too strongly fought for each of their sides and I do believe each side could of handled the situations a tad differently. Again, it's okay to have differing opinions and what not, but what's being asked isn't a bad thing. 

I'm not saying go balls out here and ban every single caught using the word in the past or present or future. Let the member base know that the use of the word should not be said and that all punishment is discretionary to the situation and use of the word (how it was said, frequency, repeat offender with malicious intentions, aka, not a mistake). We don't need full time moderators. Between admins, VHL and VHLM Commissioners and say "other" staff, there's more than plenty. Almost always, somebody is reachable or going to pop on soon. The fact that it caused a lot of people to leave and a lot of other issues for members of SBA and VHL is enough for me to analyze the situation without biased thoughts, be open to what's presented while taking a step back and look at ways to improving the situation. If they were being full blown assholes and trolling and whatever else, fuck you. But what they're asking for is extremely reasonable and even more simple. Stop using this damn word in this way because it's disrespectful. Whether you agree or not, it's reasonable and simple. You know it is. This fight isn't one worth fighting and to change is the easiest, best way to go for both leagues. Both leagues are awesome and both sides had a lot of effected members where you see them saying "Affiliate was what made this possible. see ya". That's not right. I'm willing to make a positive change to further strengthen the relationship between the leagues, but also strengthen the experience for EVERY single member.

I'm the VHLM Commissioner and I made a mistake that can easily be overlooked in todays society. It made me a come off as a tad bit of an asshole and I apologize for that. I care for this league more than a lot of things and I hope everyone on this league knows that my intentions are growth of the league and the utmost enjoyment for every member. I've had tons of members come to me throughout my tenure and time on this site about having tough times etc and looking for an ear. No poor intentions were meant and just a very poorly choice expression was used. Some members of the league expected a higher standard from myself and I apologize for not meeting those standards. It's unacceptable because the demands are nothing far from unreasonable or unmeetable. Moving forward, I elect to avoid using this language so that all members can enjoy how strong of a community we have in the VHL. A tree is only as strong as it's roots. 

I know you can expect this from us moving forward. :cheers: 

@Commissioner

@Admin

@VHLM Commissioner

Edited by Banackock

12 minutes ago, Victor said:

Bana's posts should come with a disclaimer saying "this opinion is mine and mine alone".

I mean, 7 others appreciate it maybe. I just don’t wanna be apart of the negativity and if that’s the change it takes, it’s not bad change and am willing to change what I say etc to circle around that structure/standard. Makes sense. 

• Commissioner
9 hours ago, Banackock said:

I mean, 7 others appreciate it maybe. I just don’t wanna be apart of the negativity and if that’s the change it takes, it’s not bad change and am willing to change what I say etc to circle around that structure/standard. Makes sense. 

There’s nothing wrong with that. I think what @Victor means is that, while well-meaning, the post comes off a bit as “league policy” which makes it seem like everything that happened will just be retroactively ignored and that isn’t the case. It was your statement, not the league’s statement.