Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE

ANSWER 6 FOR 2 TPE; 3 FOR 1 TPE

1. With Marimoto retiring, how does the future for Chicago look?

2. With managed to remain competitive for a few seasons now, who do you think has played a big part in this?

3. Which of our veterans have really turned it up lately?

4. Will Gunnar Odinsson finish on top for most goals scored?

5. Who would win it all this season?

6. What is an amazing milestone to celebrate in the VHL?

• 4 weeks later...

1. The roster now looks much smaller than the previous seasons. Is there player from the FA list that we should try to bring in?

2. Look into the future and how would we do next season?

3. Should Chicago consider a rebuild this season or next season?

4. Who should plan the farewell party for Camus and Socks at the end of the season?

5. How has the Chicago journey been so far?

6. Is it finally time for us to draft another goalie?

• 4 weeks later...

1. The roster now looks much smaller than the previous seasons. Is there player from the FA list that we should try to bring in?

Well I guess now that hindsight is 20/20 I can say that we didn't necessarily need any particular big-name player. But we did need to fill some holes just to improve our depth for this last season.

For S81, I'm imagining Chicago won't be doing too hot. Three of us are retiring after this season, and six more are UFAs in the offseason. That leaves three players left on the roster who are under contract next season. Even if we were to include some prospects coming up, I don't think that's enough to keep performing the way we have been in the past few seasons.

I already went over it a little bit, but I think a rebuild has to be in order. We have our own S82 first, so even if we can't get a top prospect going into next season we should be able to comfortably tank without worrying about benefiting someone else. Mingle and Xin will have some value in the trade market for a contender, even if it'll be their last season. So that could bring in some picks or prospects to jump-start the rebuild. It'd be nice to have a little bit more in terms of moveable assets, I'm sure, but it's better to do it now than put things off I think. 

4. Who should plan the farewell party for Camus and Socks at the end of the season?

Well it obviously couldn't be me or fishy. And I don't know if I trust many other people here to plan a party. I'll go with Quik since maybe it'd make him active again. The worst thing that could happen is he falls asleep while the TV is on.

Awesome. I was hoping to end up on an expansion team with this player and things ended up being timed perfectly. It was really fun to be here from the beginning and it's going to be weird to think that there's gonna be a Chicago team without me on it soon.

Yes. Draft two of them, in fact. In all seriousness though I look forward to welcoming another goalie to the Chicago lineage.

(hope you enjoyed me bumping this thread from the grave lol)

On 9/20/2021 at 1:25 AM, Blazzer said:

1. No need for any free agents or trades, the team's on an absolute tear right now with 24 wins in a row, taking 1st place in the NA.

2. This season has been amazing, I don't expect Chicago to win forever but I can see them having an amazing record with only a couple losses from now on.

3. No need to rebuild right now, go all in and try to win the second cup in the franchises short history.

4. I will, I was Chicago's original AGM and need to respect my players. Saying that, their will be no party.

5. Chicago started great to be amazing, Jeff as a GM, great players and most importantly me as AGM. They won a cup that's cool and they're pretty decent now.

6. With Camus retiring, the team needs another goalie and could use one in a draft or trade.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Who were the major contributors of the win streak we had recently?

2. How would you revive the locker room?

3. Where high up in the standings will we finish the season?

4. Are you enjoying the start of the NHL season?

5. With many users already having new players, should they play in the VHLE?

6. What other competition should the VHL add to the schedule?

• 6 months later...

1. How has your player been doing so far this season?

2. What are some underrated attributes in the new hybrid attribute system?

3. Who is your dark knight pick in the VHLE this season?

4. Are you a pineapple should be on pizza person, or not? Why?

5. What do you think Chicago needs to take it up a gear?

6. What position do you think we lack the most? How would you go about getting that position?

On 5/20/2022 at 1:31 AM, fonziGG said:

1. How has your player been doing so far this season?

I actually just recreated so we will see how the rest of this season goes once I join a VHLM team. Next season is when it really starts!

2. What are some underrated attributes in the new hybrid attribute system?

I'm not sure I have a good enough grasp on them yet to truly know this, but I think as we move into next season it should become more clear which attributes successful teams are pushing.

3. Who is your dark knight pick in the VHLE this season?

I really like the Bratislava Watchmen among the teams not truly at the top of the standings.

4. Are you a pineapple should be on pizza person, or not? Why?

Eh I am a guy that doesn't really care what others do, do whatever works for you. However personally I do not like pineapple on my pizza.

5. What do you think Chicago needs to take it up a gear?

We have an extremely strong core, if we can build up our depth to where it needs to be I think we can take the next big step.

6. What position do you think we lack the most? How would you go about getting that position?

A goalie for the future is a huge need for us - and I could see us drafting on in the next season or two.

1. What are your thoughts on the series with DC? Can we finish them off?

2. Who is the goofiest member on the team?

3. Do you believe leadership has an effect in the sim engine?

4. How gnarly is your playoff beard so far?

5. Do you think we are the dark horse for this season? Why or why not?

6. Who is your favourite player thats not in the playoffs?

Hey let's hope so! We've already beaten em twice so there's a great chance we can get one win in our last three.

That's a tough question, it's very tight between the one who is on a mission to insert a Clue branded team into every league and the one who is huge into protein farts!

I honestly don't know, Simon T's guide is vague on the matter, but part of me wonders if you have to be selected as a captain for it to have effect.

Gnarly, which for a board game, is INCREDIBLY GNARLY

I would say so, it'd be difficult but heck we have one of the best records against Moscow in the VHL, so going from bottom to that is pretty good dark horse material!

Deagan Rust, I have a great appreciation for goons

Well I am a little late to the party on this one, but yeah I would have thought we could, and it turns out we did! Bring on Seattle!

Ironically probably me. Shindigs and MubblesFubbles are both pretty knowledgeable lads and are pretty on top of things. I'd same I'm more of a goofball than those two lol.

From what I've been told over my time here in VHL, no. Many people have told me that it does absolutely nothing for you.

I've always been shite at growing facial hair, so my playoff beard is sadly not up to par. Shame!!!

Absolutely we are a dark horse. Who expected Chicago to make it this far already in their rebuild? Beating DC is already a nice achievement when considering where we our in our team rebuild, but let's keep it going!

I'll go with Brendan Telker! Had some great moments with him in Malmo! He is a really great guy and a solid teammate to boot!

On 5/28/2022 at 9:39 AM, fonziGG said:

Well we did, but my thoughts before the last game would have been yes as well. Coming into the series, on paper, I think DC would have probably been viewed as the better team but after winning the first two we definitely were in the drivers seat.

Probably the guy that is a board game playing hockey.

Some people seem to believe so but in my time as a GM here I have never really noticed any tangible difference to it being added to a player.

Well answering this as the GM, I do have a pretty gnarly beard growing right now. Gotta trim that up for wedding season.

I don't think anyone in the league, myself included, would have had us making the playoffs AND winning a series just a season after we finished dead last in the league. Just shows how far a strong core can get you.

Brandt Fuhr had a hell of a season and should be a stud in the VHL for many seasons to come.

1. What are your thoughts on the series with DC? Can we finish them off? We swept that team. They had no chance against us. 

2. Who is the goofiest member on the team? MubbleFubbles. It's in the name. 

3. Do you believe leadership has an effect in the sim engine? Nope. I believe it depends on your build and how well you perform. 

4. How gnarly is your playoff beard so far? The age is slowly catching up to me but it's going to take a long time. 

5. Do you think we are the dark horse for this season? Why or why not? I wouldn't call the Phoenix a dark-horse. Instead, we are an underdog. A dark-horse would be the Riga Reign. 

6. Who is your favorite player that's not in the playoffs? Xavier Booberry, one of the top goalies in the league but didn't make the playoffs this season. 

• 2 weeks later...

1. Now that the S84 VHL Entry Draft has concluded, which prospect will become the best player out of its class? https://vhlportal.com/teams/drafts/64

2. The Colorado Avalanche holds a 2-0 lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning. Do you think this series will become a sweep or will the Lightning respond? 
3. Do you play hockey in real life? 

4. What's more important to you as a player, goals or points? 
5. What's better, Street Hockey (in the streets) or Field Hockey (played on grass)?

6. Does your player have any plans for the off-season?

Edited by xNJDevilsFanx

1. Now that the S84 VHL Entry Draft has concluded, which prospect will become the best player out of its class? https://vhlportal.com/teams/drafts/64

I think Murray or Vandelay have the best career trajectories. These two users have good track records of producing solid players. There are a few others in the first round that should be promising as well. 

2. The Colorado Avalanche holds a 2-0 lead over the Tampa Bay Lightning. Do you think this series will become a sweep or will the Lightning respond? 

I think Tampa will get one,or potentially two games, but I wouldn't predict a sweep. Either way though, I think Colorado has got this locked up, and good for them!

I do not player hockey in real life anymore. When I was younger I did, but now I am too old and out of shape lol. But I do know the game pretty good.

I think assists have meaning too. While there are some empty assists out there via secondary assists, the same could be said for empty-net goals I suppose. But setting up a teammate to score a goal is huge, so all points matter!

5. What's better, Street Hockey (in the streets) or Field Hockey (played on grass)?

I used to play a TON of road hockey when I was a kid, so for me, I am all about that. I'm sure field hockey is fun, but nothin beats gettin all the kids in the neighbourhood together for a pickup game.

Yeah Sundin is training hard this offseason. Working on his skating and looking to become a more reliable center on the draws. Winning faceoffs means more puck possession for your team. More puck possession means more scoring chances, which leads to more goals and our team winning more! Gotta win those draws baby!

I think there are a few people sleeping on Maloish cause he had a few rough earning weeks, but I think he has the most potential of these rookies. 

I think the Lightning might claw a game back although with how badly they got beat the other day I don't really have an explanation as to how they will haha

I've actually never played hockey, it just wasn't popular enough around where I live as a kid to properly get into playing, so I stuck with other sports.

I would probably say goals rather than points, but mainly because as the player with the most invested in scoring, I need to make sure my player produces on that front.

Field Hockey is pretty popular over here (we get medals in the olympics pretty regularly I feel) and I've had a few family members play field hockey so I'll go with that.

The Board Game is gonna do what the Board Game does and that is just be itself and continue to exist! 

23 hours ago, xNJDevilsFanx said:

1. Vandalay is my choice just because its a seinfeld reference and nothing else.

2. I think the Lightning will respond nicely. Definitely not a sweep.

3. I don't, unfortunately I don't get the opportunity due to health reasoning.

4. I just want to win. So points can help with that more than just goals alone.

5. STREET HOCKEY 100%. No cap on that.

6. He's getting fat in Turkey while getting a hair transplant. Gains baby.

1. The Colorado Avalanche are 2022 Stanley Cup Champions for the first time since the 2001-02 season. How did your team do during the playoffs? 
2. The new season is approaching us, which means time for new predictions. Who is winning the VHL cup?
3. Which team will ascend as the best team in the league and take home the VHLE cup? 
4. Which team will take home the VHLM cup?
5. What did your player improve on throughout the off-season? 
6. Do you have any personal goals for your player in the upcoming season?

1. The Chicago Phoenix is off to a 6-3-1 start in the North American Conference. Do you think we can compete for the top seed in the conference? 
2. How are you enjoying the fourth of July? 
3. Do you believe the Colorado Avalanche can repeat next season?
4. Do you believe your player deserves captain? Why or why not? 
5. What are the traits of a good captain? 
6. Can we be considered championship contenders this season? Why or why not?

1. The Chicago Phoenix is off to a 6-3-1 start in the North American Conference. Do you think we can compete for the top seed in the conference? 

We are off to a great start. Love to see the team performing well. I think the top seed will be a tough goal, but not impossible. Our top line has been unreal so it's definitely possible.

Well it's not too special for me since I am from Canada, but there IS some afternoon baseball on today because of Independence Day so that's always good.

I think they will still be pretty good, so it's possible, but I wouldn't say it is likely. It's a hard trophy to win once nevermind back-to-back.

Currently I am an alternate, and I am totally fine with that. We have a great leadership core in Chicago and  I think it work's pretty well as is.

Bringing positive vibes and also being a good communicator. On top of that, just generally being a good leader is also a good trait.

I think we can hang with pretty much any team this season, I wouldn't say we are a championship favourite currently, but we could definitely be a dark horse type of team come playoffs.

For sure! We've got a really nice team here so I look forward to seeing how we can get on this season!

We don't celebrate 4th July in the UK but it's been a good week for celebrating because it has been mine and a family members birthday within the last week

I think they've got a chance for certain, although I guess off-season will dictate who is going into next season the favourites

I'm assistant at the minute and I'm cool with that. Like to think I earned it with my activity and help I've offered. 

I think activity and approachability are probably the two key things for a captain.

I think contenders for sure would be a fair title given the roster that we've got and the results we've pulled off to this point. Not sure if I'd say we're favourites because a lot of our players are still developing whereas the other teams have more players in their prime, but we're definitely good enough to compete.

1. The Chicago Phoenix is second in the North American Conference. What is the biggest surprise about this team? 
2. Baby Bob is second behind Nico Pearce for the most goals scored. Do you believe he could overtake Nico Pearce as the #1 top goal-scorer this season?
3. Do you believe in a zombie apocalypse?
4. Should the NHL expand the number of teams or keep it normal?
5. Should the VHLM and the VHLE combine into one minor league? 
6. What are your favorite food combinations? 

1. The Chicago Phoenix is second in the North American Conference. What is the biggest surprise about this team? 

I think the pleasant surprise is how well Red Gaming has been performing in goal in his rookie season, he's done really well for someone his age.
2. Baby Bob is second behind Nico Pearce for the most goals scored. Do you believe he could overtake Nico Pearce as the #1 top goal-scorer this season?

I think he can, obviously there are some very good players competing with him for that title, but he's got the ability to win it for sure

This question frightens me because that makes me think some news has been posted that's supposed to make me more aware of the possibilities of a zombie apocalypse haha!

I think 32 teams is pretty much the perfect numbers for sports competitions, so I'm happy with where it's at.

I think there are positives and negatives for the idea. I think the good thing is it let's a player potentially spend longer with their first team (I think some players would prefer to stick on their first team longer) but there's the negative of newer players not being able to shine because there'd be too many better players ahead of them. 

One I discovered recently was Pork Belly covered in honey, very nice indeed!

On 7/13/2022 at 4:03 PM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

Red Gaming and Baby Bob have both been excellent surprises this season. Very impressed with them.

As of this Bob is now in third but I definitely think he could take the lead before seasons end - the guy has been on fire.

I do not think I believe in it but I love it as a genre for a show/movie.

I think the number of teams the NHL is currently sitting at is very good. They even have some teams they could look to relocate before they decide to expand at all.

I'm not sure I have a good answer for this one. I think the VHLE system has some fairly major flaws but both leagues also have their merits.

I am a huge fan of spicy food. I could absolutely crush some hot wings right now.

1. if hockey didn't exist, what other sport would you enjoy?
2. What franchises are the most prestigious in the VHL?
3. What aspect of hockey is crucial to a team, defense or offense?
4. Do you believe that prehistoric dinosaurs existed? 
5. Baby Bob is third for the most goals this season. What's the best attribute in his build? 
6. Since it's VHL's birthday, what is your favorite VHL moment?

1. if hockey didn't exist, what other sport would you enjoy?

Hockey's actually already outside of my top 2 favourite sports, so I'll say them instead which are golf and soccer.
2. What franchises are the most prestigious in the VHL?

It's kinda crazy how much it's flipped since my first years in the league, but I guess you'd have to say Seattle of the originals. of the expansion franchises probably Moscow.
3. What aspect of hockey is crucial to a team, defense or offense?

I'd say offense since you'd get more chances to score and on top of that ease the amount of chances a defense would come up against.
4. Do you believe that prehistoric dinosaurs existed? 

Absolutely, I think the fossils help prove that theory. 
5. Baby Bob is third for the most goals this season. What's the best attribute in his build? 

A lot will point to his high scoring attribute but I think his insanely high puck handling is what's propelled him to this level this season, as that's helped him deflect shots in.
6. Since it's VHL's birthday, what is your favorite VHL moment?

My favourite moment was the first time I was VHLM GM with the Aces in Season 55 and we upset the Oslo Storm in the playoffs who had coasted through the regular season as the best team.