Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

1. Describe your ideal sandwich

I'll go with a good chicken sandwich, with jalapenos and/or green peppers, on a brioche bun. I could go either way on condiments, don't know if I'd have a favorite (maybe mustard). To be honest I'm not a huge sandwich guy though.

2. We've been in the league for a while time now and I think it's time we do this. Which team would be the rivals of the Chicago Phoenix? 

Berocka wrote an article recently where he suggested LA would be our rivals, which I think is fairly fitting since we came in as North American expansion teams at the same time. I'd also say that Seattle would be a good rival because of our upset win in the S75 playoffs. Warsaw is a cool suggestion but I feel like I'd want our rival to be in the same conference.

3. Should the team host a game night or a movie night? What game/movie would you choose?

Movie night is tough because I feel like it's hard to pick a movie that everyone would be interested in. Personally I'd go with a game night but with something like Mario Party or Jackbox since those are fairly simple games that I think pretty much everyone can enjoy.

4. If you were put in charge of something for a day, what would you like that to be and what would you change or do?

I'll echo Sonnet and say I don't want to be in charge. Plus I don't think I have solutions that would fix things in a day. I guess for less important things that I'd be far less likely to mess up, I'd probably make myself in charge of some kind of branding/graphic design thing because there are a lot of small things that bother me about that stuff.

5. What are your thoughts on the league right now? Are there enough people joining or do we need more? Are there any improvements that could be made?

I don't really have a good pulse on recruitment. I will agree that we could use more variety in recruitment channels, as well as a change where everyone isn't stuck doing the same build. But I don't have the answers so who knows.

6. We're gonna talk about some emotions here. How are you doing right now? 

Eh. I'm doing okay now, I wouldn't say I'm feeling great overall but today is a decent enough day. I don't want to spill all my guts but I wasn't exactly happy with things before the pandemic so I don't think COVID has helped. I guess at least I've kinda had the chance to sit back and think things over but then the rest of the world hasn't exactly been great either which doesn't make me feel any better.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:38 AM, Blazzer said:

9Xbz7ij.png.cfcf79c25725e5d5c1a6e6e7bfd61eca.png

CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE 

ANSWER 6 FOR 2 TPE; 3 FOR 1 TPE

1. Describe your ideal sandwich

2. We've been in the league for a while time now and I think it's time we do this. Which team would be the rivals of the Chicago Phoenix? 

3. Should the team host a game night or a movie night? What game/movie would you choose?

4. If you were put in charge of something for a day, what would you like that to be and what would you change or do?

5. What are your thoughts on the league right now? Are there enough people joining or do we need more? Are there any improvements that could be made?

6. We're gonna talk about some emotions here. How are you doing right now? 

1. i like a nice ham and cheese sandwich. pretty basic.

2. i would say the seattle bears since you've met in the playoffs a couple times.

3. yes! we should all play valorant on jeff's stream.

4. i would be in charge of making sure everybody had a great day.

5. i think i feel a little bit stale because my player is old and kinda stagnating, so i think that's purely on me. the league is in a great place.

6. i'm so tired but i have to answer this before i sleep. goodnight

1. This week is theme week! What kind of content are you hoping to see this week about the VHLE? If you haven't done your PT yet, do you have ideas? If you have, is there anything, in retrospect, that you wish you would have done differently?

2. We are about halfway through the season, and as of today, Chicago is third overall and second in the NA. Any thoughts? Do you think we're performing as projected? Over or underperforming?

3. What's one of your pet peeves about the VHL? If you had enough power to (reasonably) change anything in the league for a day, what would you do?

4. What's your favorite time of day? Mornings? Mid day? Evenings? Meal time?

5. If you could be anything - animate or inanimate, what would you be? A star? A leaf on a tree? A screwdriver? Why?

6. What was the last thing you did for yourself because you wanted to or because you knew you'd be better for it? If you haven't had water recently, this is your sign to go get some!!

1. This week is theme week! What kind of content are you hoping to see this week about the VHLE? If you haven't done your PT yet, do you have ideas? If you have, is there anything, in retrospect, that you wish you would have done differently?

I don't quite know yet, but I think I might take a stab at doing another VHLE team logo. Maybe one for Paris? Although I still have the Vasteras one in the bank, so I might just submit that as my PT for the theme week.

2. We are about halfway through the season, and as of today, Chicago is third overall and second in the NA. Any thoughts? Do you think we're performing as projected? Over or underperforming?

I'd say we're performing fairly accurate to how I would've expected. We've got a good team so we should be a contender, but I don't know if I'd say we should be any higher than we are right now. 

3. What's one of your pet peeves about the VHL? If you had enough power to (reasonably) change anything in the league for a day, what would you do?

I don't know if I have one off the top of my head. I'm not really good at identifying problems (or coming up with solutions, for that matter) in sim leagues like this one.  I'd be on board with either a separate awards committee, or at least more transparency about the award discussions in the BoG (i.e. an explanation of why people voted the way they did). Of course there's also a problem with the boringness of building a player here but that could also just be because I've been around for a while.

Mid day for me (like 1-2 PM). I don't like waking up early, but I prefer when it's light out because then it feels like there's more of the day left. Although I will say I enjoy the nighttime, it can be pretty relaxing sometimes when it's dark out and just a little bit chilly. Not when it's too late, but maybe around 8-10 o'clock. I remember taking a few walks out at that time of night when I was in college - I get that could seem a little weird but it was actually kinda relaxing.

5. If you could be anything - animate or inanimate, what would you be? A star? A leaf on a tree? A screwdriver? Why?

I kinda like being human, honestly. For all the problems and anxieties it may cause, having human intelligence is really fucking cool when you think about it. Nothing else on Earth can experience stuff like art, culture, language, etc. in the same way that we do. There are a couple animals that would be cool to be as a second choice though. It'd be fun to be able to fly so being some kind of bird would be sick. Also there are a couple animals that have more capabilities in their eyes to see different wavelengths of color, and I'd like to know what that looks like

6. What was the last thing you did for yourself because you wanted to or because you knew you'd be better for it? If you haven't had water recently, this is your sign to go get some!!

I've been trying to be more careful with my money and save up a decent amount, which should hopefully benefit me in the long run. I still buy things for myself, but I'm trying to be less impulsive. Also thanks for the reminder, my water glass is empty right now so I'll go refill it.

9 hours ago, fishy said:

1. I don't really care much about theme week, probably won't be looking at most of the content

2. I'm not sure, it hard to tell. Playoffs are the only thing that matter, so our current performance doesn't bother me.

3. The meta 100%, talked about this a bit in Chicago but the league is just going to get more boring.

4. Like 3-7am range, me and @Kylrad had some banger nights

5. I'd want to be @Kylrad

6. I stayed inside once when it was like -30C and everyone went outside. That was like 4 months ago though.

1. I'm looking to see some creative things come out. It's the busiest week of my life right now and I'm not going to pay too much attention to this theme week but I hope people can make some interesting things to hype up the VHLE.

2. I think our performance has been pretty good. It didn't start off great but we're getting back on track. The line changes surely helped us a bit so thanks Lidia. 

3. Pet peeve would be people that overreact to things. if I had power for one day, I wouldn't do anything cause I'm not experienced enough to know what needs to be changed.

4. I'll have to say mornings after a good sleep and cooling rain with some wind. A lot to ask for SEA weather but I'm demanding so deal with it.

5. I don't mind being human. I appreciate the fact that we are able to decide what happens, one great thing about being human.

6. Erm studying I guess. I'm doing it cause I know I need to. I have water right next to me so I'm hydrated.

1. Trade deadline is upon us, do you think the team should make any moves?

2. Trade deadline also means retirements? Who are you most sad to see retire

3. That Kyl Oferson guy is pretty good, do you think he will make HOF?

4. Will Lee Xin lead the league in points?

5. What's your favourite Shakespeare play?

6. This is @KitRas's question, but if you were sent back in time to the dinosaurs, could you eat a whole dinosaur in 2 weeks?

1. Nah, I think we're good. I don't think we need to change something that isn't broken. Or maybe we should trade quik cause he's IA HAHAHA

2. Kyle Oferson. He's a great person on and off the ice so it'll be sad to see him go and hang up his skates. I hope he comes back and watch our games cause he's got quite the hype. 

3. I think he got a chance actually. IF KYLE OFERSON DOESN'T GET INTO THE HOF, I AM GOING TO RIOT.

4. I hope so. It's time for Xin to shine cause IT'S TIME. Even if Xin doesn't lead the league in points, I hope he can win an award or something. 

5. I don't know any Shakespear plays. Also he's super old right? 

6. I could eat a dinosaur in 2 months. 2 months is pretty good considering how I'm not barbarian. 

No way. Despite some recent results we're second in the league and doing really well. Let's not mess up this core, we've got a very good team and I'd at least like things to stay together until the end of the season. I think we're already one of the favorites for the cup.

I mean definitely Kyl Oferson. I was hoping he'd be around for a while, although I guess since this is his eighth season it makes sense. I just didn't realize it'd be so soon.

No he's a scrub, who told you he was good? He won't be anywhere near the Hall. That guy fucking sucks.

Of course. Lee Xin is AWAKE now, and nobody can stop him. To be honest I'm just disappointed I didn't pick Xin for my fantasy team because for some reason I thought I did. Instead I got fuckin JIMBO who I should've realized wasn't going to be getting as many hits (and therefore fantasy points) this year.

Not a huge Shakespeare guy personally. I guess I'd say MacBeth though. I think the way the prophecy is told and ends up working out over the play is cool, and the theme of power and corruption is interesting.

Also, since this is a Shakespeare question, I want to mention something else because it's a pet peeve of mine and probably the only chance I've gotten to talk about this: when Juliet is saying "wherefore art thou, Romeo?" in Romeo and Juliet, she's not wistfully asking where he is because she's so enamored with him. "Wherefore" means "why", so she's saying "Why are you here, Romeo?" She says that because she was kinda talking to herself about being in love with Romeo while standing on her balcony, then he just kinda shows up in her backyard because he wanted to see her so he snuck onto the property. So she's just surprised and confused as to why he's there.

6. This is @KitRas's question, but if you were sent back in time to the dinosaurs, could you eat a whole dinosaur in 2 weeks?

I mean there are a lot of variables here. What kind of dinosaur is it? If it's, like, a T-Rex or a brontosaurus then probably not. Plus if I'm going back in time, I don't really have a kitchen with an oven to prepare and cook the dinosaur meat anyways, so I'd either be eating 1) raw dinosaur meat, which would undoubtedly make me sick or 2) unseasoned dinosaur meat that has been cooked hastily over a poorly-made fire (I don't have the survival instincts to make a good one, let's be honest) which would either still make me sick or just taste bad. Honestly, I'm probably screwed in any sort of situation where I don't have a reliable grocery store or a restaurant to get food from. So I would say no.

For the first time in franchise history, we should probably be on the lookout for forwards. Our defensive core is a bit shaky with only 2 guaranteed returning players, but I think a good share of them will probably return. Our forwards are going to be a bit shaky, and we don't have a backup goalie. Hopefully we can find one, somewhere.

goodnight Oferson :(

probably not

HE BETTER. IF NOT, IT BETTER BE WINTER. OR MINGLE.

I actually really enjoyed A Midsummer Night's Dream, but I found that his comedies are generally enjoyable when I understand what the hell is going on!!

I don't eat meat, but I may change my mind if it were required for survival. I'd like to think that I could befriend and learn from the herbivores.

On 6/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, solas said:

I guess I'd say MacBeth though.

sadboi hours

On 6/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, solas said:

Also, since this is a Shakespeare question, I want to mention something else because it's a pet peeve of mine and probably the only chance I've gotten to talk about this: when Juliet is saying "wherefore art thou, Romeo?" in Romeo and Juliet, she's not wistfully asking where he is because she's so enamored with him. "Wherefore" means "why", so she's saying "Why are you here, Romeo?" She says that because she was kinda talking to herself about being in love with Romeo while standing on her balcony, then he just kinda shows up in her backyard because he wanted to see her so he snuck onto the property. So she's just surprised and confused as to why he's there.

thank you for this

1. What is your absolutely hated workout to do? If you don't workout, tell us why you don't. This is a judgement free zone.

2. What is the strangest thing you've heard from the players on the ice/in the locker room?

3. What's the best fast food to grab on a cheat day?

4. What is your favourite TV/movie universe? 

5. I heard some of our players are diverging into the world of baseball. Do you think any of them could make it pro there?

6. What sport should be added to the Olympics and why did you choose it?

• 2 weeks later...

1. I haven’t been doing workouts too much lately but whenever I do I find push-ups to be the absolute worst. My upper body strength is horrible so push-ups are not ideal for me, as much as I would like to have actual muscles. I’m kinda bad at keeping up with workouts anyways. 
(also wanted to add that “judgment-free zone” made me think of this video)

2. There are a lot of things. Too many to count. Also I scrolled back in the Discord and couldn’t find anything that would work for this question so let’s just imagine I said something really interesting here.

3. French fries are undefeated for sure. Nuggets too. Also while it’s technically not fast food, I’ll also say a big bag of movie theater popcorn. I’m not really on a diet per se, so it’s technically not a cheat meal, but it’s something that is definitely not healthy and that I don’t have very often so I feel like it fits the theme.

4. Star Wars. I’ve been a fan of the movies since elementary school and I’ve been able to still enjoy it here and there through the games and extended universe stuff. Fanbase can be kinda weird sometimes but the universe itself is just really interesting to me.

5. I dunno. I think some of them could be alright. Two of them are even all-stars! That Finn Schultz guy’s pretty decent too.

6. I found this competition on YouTube where a bunch of parkour athletes play a version of tag on an obstacle course a while ago and I’ve been watching it it throughout the pandemic. It’s absolutely nuts. I’d love to see what an Olympic version of that would look like. Also I would like to see a version of the Olympics where people aren’t suspended for smoking weed but whatever.

Edited by solas

1. Our playoffs ended earlier than expected. How did the series against the Seattle Bears feel? 

2. Do you have any vacations planned out for the offseason? 

3. How can we further improve the team during this upcoming draft? 

4. Which team has the greatest chances of getting the first overall pick? 

5. Who would be the MVP for the team this season?

6. What are your opinions about the announced VHLE teams? Would you consider GM'ing one of them?

1. The series against the Bears just felt awful. A sweep never feels good and we had so many close games, you just felt it easily could’ve went differently if the sim was nicer to us.

2. I do! As a matter of fact I’m in Chicago (funny) right now. 

3. I think we just need to grind that TPE back for the some people that will get the TPE decline some seasons and just improve our players like a regular season, just slowly get better (or fast).

4. I really don’t know the way the draft works in the VHL, and I didn’t pay attention to the lower half of the standings (because we weren’t there), but imma guess just the last place team in the standings.

5. Team MVP would definitely be Lee Xin. That player popped off so hard this season. At one point, he was top 6 in all categories (literally just looking at our LC lol). But he did really well this season and pushed our team to Co leaders at the end of the season.

6. I like the idea of the VHLE, and the teams and logos, I like them. I would never consider GMing any of them, I wouldn’t have the time to GM and also, I feel I would rather actually be on one of the teams then GM. One of the worst problems from VHLM to VHL is the difference in TPE and TPA. I go from maxed out player, top prospect, destroying the competition, to literally happy if I get 5 points a season. It is good when you look at our team. Being experienced and good TPE make the team better, but I think there should’ve been a league in the middle earlier. (But ty commissioners of the league)

1. The VHL Entry Draft is coming up. Who would you want to see be part of the Chicago Phoenix?

2. Along with the new season, many of our core players are depreciating and becoming veterans. What can we do to cope with that?

3. What has COVID-19 taught you?

4. If our GM wanted to make alternate jerseys, how would you like it to look?

5. Would you want to play in the VHLE or make a jump straight to the VHL?

6. You're given a chance to be the GM for a day. What moves (trade/signings etc) would you make?

1. I would want to see a young player with good growth to become a Chicago player. I don’t really have specifics.

2. I think we just have to fill in the TPE holes with TPE made back from those players, or maybe other players stepping up and taking a bigger role than last season.

3. COVID-19 has taught me that family is very important. It has also taught me about how unsanitary we are as humans. Like COVID only spread because we weren’t getting the germs off early.

4. I would want the jerseys to be a red and orange fire background with the golden beautiful Phoenix in the middle.

5. If I had to chose last season, I would rather go into the VHLE because it is just a better transition and the TPE jump is far less.

6. If I was GM I wouldn’t really change anything. We got a nice squad that definitely could’ve won the championship, but if I was forced to, maybe just some players with the positions that we need some fortifications in.

1. The VHL Entry Draft is coming up. Who would you want to see be part of the Chicago Phoenix?

The upcoming draft class looks pretty weak to be completely honest. I could definitely see Jeff buying rather than drafting upcoming players, but god only knows.

2. Along with the new season, many of our core players are depreciating and becoming veterans. What can we do to cope with that?

Because this draft class is weak & our cap concerns, I'm honestly expecting Chicago's bust to come soon. I don't think it'll be season 79, but I definitely think our dark days are upon us.

3. What has COVID-19 taught you?

Americans don't care about each other

4. If our GM wanted to make alternate jerseys, how would you like it to look?

I honestly am not a visionary, so I have no idea

5. Would you want to play in the VHLE or make a jump straight to the VHL?

Honestly I don't think I'll bother trying to plan my route through the different leagues with my next player. I'm just going to earn and get into the VHL as quickly as possible.

6. You're given a chance to be the GM for a day. What moves (trade/signings etc) would you make?

I think every other GM would hate negotiating with me, so I probably wouldn't make any moves. I would just act like I was top shit for a day and then put me back in my place after the 24 hours has expired

1. With the massive additions this offseason, where would we finish in the league?

2. Any early predictions for cup winners and league MVP?

3. Do you say hi to your neighbour?

4. What role would fit your the most in a movie?

5. BigAL has recently became the 3rd commie in the league. Big congrats but do you think that he's a good pick and fit?

6. What would your goals be for this upcoming season?

• 2 weeks later...

1. The team isn't looking great now on the standings so what would you do to stop this?

2. Are you excited for the VHLE to start?

3. If Xin were to request a trade, where would he most likely be traded to?

4. Head coach called in sick. Who's replacing them?

5. Which musical instrument sounds the best?

6. Should the AGM stop making press conferences? 

1. I just think the sim is being unlucky to us. Just stay strong and it will go our way eventually.

2. I’m excited for the VHLE to start and see how smoothly things go, and to have another level of prospects coming into the league.

3. Uh maybe Warsaw because they good.

4. Definitely the assistant coach (lmao)

5. I like the violin. I think it sounds amazing.

6. Well, I do them, but if it is wasting too much time doing them and you feel you could be doing something better, then don’t do them.

1. The team isn't looking great now on the standings so what would you do to stop this?

trade hornet

jk

wait it out. sths is being sths

2. Are you excited for the VHLE to start?

not... particularly? it won't affect me for another couple seasons so idc

3. If Xin were to request a trade, where would he most likely be traded to?

seattle. no way geoff would let him back out of his ntc without a little punishment :P

4. Head coach called in sick. Who's replacing them?

you

5. Which musical instrument sounds the best?

i like electornic music but good bari sax playing will melt you like chocolate

6. Should the AGM stop making press conferences? 

do you want the tpe? if so, no. otherwise, if no one is answering your questions outside of, like, one person, just let that person write the questions

• 2 weeks later...

1. We need a new goal song. What's your pick?

2. There are some interesting names on the points leader board now. How do you feel knowing that only 1 Chicago player is on there?

3. What would make you eat clean for a month?

4. If you saw an army marching towards you while singing the song barbie girl, what would you do?

5. How's your VHFL team doing?

6. Despite some slightly weaker performance by the skaters, how would you rate our goalie's performance so far?