Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

On 2/27/2024 at 6:02 PM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

You ONLY have to answer 6 of the 8 Questions
WEEK OF February 26th - March 3rd

1: Who is your pick for the cup? D.C. Dragons or London United?

2: Still a lot of season to go in the NHL, but who do you think will win the Stanley Cup at this point?

3: Another prediction. Who do you think will win the draft lottery and select 1st overall?

4: What was the first hockey game you ever watched? Can you remember the teams?

5: What color is your player's stick tape?

6: Should Comedy shows have laugh tracks?

7: What led to you picking your Discord or Forum profile picture?

8: In Rock-Paper-Scissors. What is your starting pick?

1. My previous player spent his whole career with London so I hope they win

2. As a Boston fan I hope they do but I think the 5 teams who realistically could are Boston, Vancouver, Colorado, Edmonton, or Florida. Maybe the Rangers but it all depends on who’s goalie is hot.

4. My first hockey game was Boston and Montreal in the 2011 playoffs game 1

5. White

7. I used to have a Rabbit named Rupert and I jokingly called him Sir Rupert and so I created the username SirRupertBarnes. So then I found a photo online of a noble looking rabbit. 
8. probably paper but potentially scissors

On 2/27/2024 at 4:02 PM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF February 26th - March 3rd

2: Still a lot of season to go in the NHL, but who do you think will win the Stanley Cup at this point?

3: Another prediction. Who do you think will win the draft lottery and select 1st overall?

6: Should Comedy shows have laugh tracks?

8: In Rock-Paper-Scissors. What is your starting pick?

1. London I think is going to win it all, as they were my pick before the series started.

2. I'm going to go with the Florida Panthers, they're built for the playoffs and I can see them winning.

3. Chicago Blackhawks. They'll be gifted Celibrini and then they have their dynamic duo.

4. It was the Buffalo Sabres vs. the Ottawa Senators back when Ryan Miller was on the team. It made me become a Sabres fan.

5. Richmond uses white hockey tape, as it looks clean with the toe taped and puck marks on it.

7. I was just watching Jujutsu Kaisen and picked Sukuna as my pfp, as I had some other people from JJK before.

A little late now but I thought it would be a close series with a slight edge to London. Clearly I was wrong!

The Vancouver Canucks who will meet the Boston Bruins in the finals and get revenge and not burn the city down

Davos had the best odds so I would have guessed them. Feel like you cant go wrong with CIA or Victor. I think I have interacted with Victor a bit more myself so I will say him

I think it was a game between Vancouver

Black on the bottom and white up top was what I used to use I believe.

I am extremely boring and just use the default that discord and the forum gave me

Just a little late answering this one as well, but I would have been like Velevra in picking the United. If nothing else, I don't mind keeping the cup in D.C., it's nice and close to Chicago for us to pick it up next season. 

Not going to say anything else than my Boston Bruins, baby. No player losses can stop us, we are inevitable. Charlie Coyle is now elite. Danton Heinen is elite. Another 1st-round series against the Maple Leafs is going to be electric.  

If this meant VHL, I didn't really pay attention to that, but I did see Bocatini went 1st. Unfortunate for Victor, but CIA makes some of the best players around. Davos got a good one, but 1 or 2 was good. If you meant IRL, I hope it's anyone but Chicago. 

This is a great question. I know it isn't, but one of the earliest in my mind I can think of is going to a Niagara IceDogs (OHL) game as a kid, maybe 7 years old? If I recall correctly, they played the Guelph Storm. Maybe it was the Battalion. I definitely watched games way earlier than '07 though, just not alot stick out to today.

I'd like to think Lamb is a white stick tape player, but who knows. I know he's been known to rock yellow tape with yellow laces, which is just absolutely disgusting. I think I saw a roll of flame tape in his bag too.

Mine actually are both different works by Jean-Michel Basquiat. His artwork was used for the cover of The New Abnormal by The Strokes, my all-time favourite band, so I thought they looked nice and had some meaning. 

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF March 11th - March 16th

1: Do you believe the future is bright in Chicago with the prospects we've acquired this offseason? (Jean-Pierre Devote, Ughsike, Micah Cederbaum, Kevin O'Connor & Vanuza Kolesinska) I probably missed one...

2: Which attribute do you intend to focus on this offseason/season?

3: Does your character do anything unique with their equipment to stand out? (Different Colored Laces, Tinted Visor, Jersey Tuck, etc.)

4: I probably asked this recently, but I enjoy people's ideas...If you had to name the next VHL team, what'd you call it?

5: Do you like how the NHL handled the All-Star event this season?

6: Have you ever re-watched an NHL game? If so, why?

7: Which television gameshow do you think you'd have the most success on?

8: Has a song ever made you cry? If so, which one? (If you can recall)

1 hour ago, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1: Do you believe the future is bright in Chicago with the prospects we've acquired this offseason? (Jean-Pierre Devote, Ughsike, Micah Cederbaum, Kevin O'Connor & Vanuza Kolesinska) I probably missed one...

3: Does your character do anything unique with their equipment to stand out? (Different Colored Laces, Tinted Visor, Jersey Tuck, etc.)

4: I probably asked this recently, but I enjoy people's ideas...If you had to name the next VHL team, what'd you call it?

1: Which attribute do you intend to focus on this offseason/season?

I'll probably put a bit more into OV, but it gets expensive after 70. And I'll more than likely bump up WS.

2: Does your character do anything unique with their equipment to stand out? (Different Colored Laces, Tinted Visor, Jersey Tuck, etc.)

I'm a minimalist. No jersey tuck, no soçk tucked into skates, no colored visor. But, I do wear a rhinestone bedazzled cup.

3: I probably asked this recently, but I enjoy people's ideas...If you had to name the next VHL team, what'd you call it?

The Austin Autistics 

4: Do you like how the NHL handled the All-Star event this season?

No. I think the All-Star games make the league look like total clowns really. It's kind of sad to watch.

5: Have you ever re-watched an NHL game? If so, why?

Technically, not an entire game. I do watch a lot of highlights from past games though.

6:Which television gameshow do you think you'd have the most success on? 

Definitely not the dating game. Probably The Price is Right because I

do a lot of shopping.

Definitely! I'm happy with the group we have put together and think we have a lot of good pieces. Just need to grow together well over the next few seasons.

Probably a combination of continuing to upgrade my defence and putting some points into faceoffs to be servicable in the face off dot. 

Maybe some red laces or stick tape to rep the team colors!

Haha I think this was asked recently. I think I said moving the Stockholm VIkings since there are two swedish VHLE teams to the Coppenhagan Pagans/Vikings. 

I didn't follow it too much but I think there were four teams with a celebrity draft? Seems like it caught interest so probably not a bad idea to switch things up to keep things interesting rather than always east vs west etc.

I don't think so but I might have when I was really young. I would say I have seen highlights/clips again rather than full games.

23 hours ago, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1. I’m hopeful we can win long term. Especially with a solid goalie who will hopefully be around for a while

2. I should probably improve my scoring a bit more for the jump to the VHL but outside of that Puck Handling and Defense

3. Not really to stand out I guess but I tuck the toe of my skate under my shin pad and have the sock over the front and tucked in the back. 
5. I think it was much better overall and the players looked like they cared more. It was significantly better than last season

6. Not a full game but I’ve re-watched highlights from bostons 2011 Cup Run

7. I think family feud or the price is right would be the most fun but I doubt I’d actually win

On 3/11/2024 at 8:28 AM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1. I think we will finally start to be on the up! I'm ready to start competing soon.

2. I intend to focus on defense the most, as it's the most important in my eyes.

3. I like the jersey tuck on the left, so the right side is hanging out.

4. We would be going to Utah and something with Salt Lake City. I don't know what the name would be, but somewhere there.

6. I've watched highlights of multiple games before, but never rewatched a full NHL game.

7. Probably the Price is Right, I am decent with guessing.

Oh absolutely. I'm very high on almost every pick we brought in this offseason, they all seem to be meshing well with the group already established here. We have the players, we have the prospects, I think it's time to look forward to the end of the regular season - but no longer for the drafts. We're looking to climb the mountain. Also I've been big on Kolesinska for a while now, should have been a 1st-rounder. 

Obviously I like to do an even upgrade on all of them, but if I had to pick, definitely SK. Lamb seemed to struggle in the VHLE until they got their skating up to league average, and from then on basically was the top D-man in the entire league, playoffs included. Definitely need to get it up to big league averages. 

Not that I can think of right off the top of my head, I'm not a superstitious guy like some hockey players... I used to roll with yellow skate laces, but it gets you chirped up here in the pros to no end. The only thing slightly out of the ordinary I can think of is leaving the tongues of my skates untucked, but even that is pretty common.

First of all, I would nuke the names Predators, Wranglers and United. Depends where the city of this new franchise was, but we definitely need some more non-living thing names. I'm not in the creative department though, but I think something classic and simple would work... I always was a fan of having team names in their native languages too.

I didn't really watch, to be honest. Anyone who complains about the all-star game and is over the age of like, 16, just loves to complain. It's meant to grow the game, be fun for young fans, and be something lighthearted. Is the Stanley Cup on the line? No. So why should they play like it is? 

There is one single NHL game that I have re-watched about.... 50 times? Maybe more, if we're counting just the highlights. It doesn't even need an explanation, I'll just add it below:

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF March 18th - March 24th

1: Not sure if we have a mascot, but if we did what'd you name it?

2: Which NHL team do you think deserves the 1st overall draft pick this season?

3: Are there any sports you watch besides Hockey? Which one(s)?

4: Which NHL videogame was the best in your opinion?

5: Who is your favorite Youtuber / YouTube channel right now?

6: What is your favorite movie / show genre? 

7: What was your favorite cartoon growing up?

8: What is your favorite Ice Cream flavor?

5 hours ago, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1. Moltres if Nintendo would allow it

2. San Jose is in a rough spot and didn’t get it last year so I’m going with them.

3. I’ve gone to couple Box Lacrosse games in Halifax. It’s pretty interesting

5. I really like Viva La Dirt League for their sketches and Eck for his hockey content.

6. I really like the Star Wars universe but some of the content lately has been trash. There’s been a few gems. The books are pretty solid though for the most part.

8. There’s a local ice cream place that makes homemade ice cream so I’m going with their salted caramel with brownies mixed in.

Hmm I'm not sure, maybe Ember the Phoenix?

I think implementing a "gold drafting" system would be cool so whatever team would get the most points after being eliminated.

Basketball is probably the sport I watch the most other than hockey

I think NHL 2004 was the one I really hit hard? Could customize your GM office and such.

I really enjoy a good murder mystery or thriller.

Probably between Strawberry Cheesecake or Mint Chocolate Chip

On 3/18/2024 at 11:04 AM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1. I'd name it flare, because flares fly up into the sky, like birds, and are also on fire while doing so, like phoenixes are!

2. I don't think there's a question that San Jose deserves it, they're the only team I've ever seen lose two games in a row with a combined goal differential in those games of -20.

3. I watch F1 quite a bit, I've been interested in it ever since the 2021 title fight between Hamilton and Verstappen, and I even mention it on my VHL profile page lol.

4. I'd have to say that of the ones I've played, NHL 21 is probably the best. The reinvention of both Franchise mode and Be a Pro mode made the game without a doubt the best NHL game in nearly a decade.

5. Aarava would have to be my favourite at this time, he's actually the one that got me into F1 with his F1 2020 Myteam career mode series.

8. I know it's a little basic, but Vanilla is actually my favourite. I don't know why, but I've just always liked the taste of Vanilla ice cream the best out of all the flavours, though I also really enjoy Mint flavour as well.

On 3/18/2024 at 10:04 AM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1. I have no clue what I'd name it. Sparkie? Sparky? Because it's a Phoenix?

2. I think either Chicago or San Jose. Realistically, it should be San Jose because the Hawks got Bedard.

3. I watch College Basketball and College Football. Both are a blast to watch and March Madness is coming up!

4. I really like NHL 12, it had a banger soundtrack and was a bunch of fun.

5. My favorite youtuber at the moment is Stick On The Ice, he does a bunch of challenges for NHL and they are fun to watch.

8. Butter Pecan. It's a bit out there, but I like it a ton and so does my dad.

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF March 25th - March 31st

1: Chicago has had a pretty decent start to the season with a 7-5-1 record. From what you've seen so far, do you think we will be a playoff team?

2: Do you think The Frenchman (DCD) wins back-to-back Mike Szatkowski (Most Regular Season Points) Trophies?

3: Chicago player Yaroslav Trunov is off to a hot start. Will they end the season as our team's MVP?

4: What is your player's nickname?

5: What player type (Playmaker, Sniper, etc.) do you think your player is?

6: Which logo around the league (VHL, VHLM, VHLE) is your favorite and why?

7: What is the television show you've re-watched the most?

8: Do you believe in the old saying "Don't meet your heroes?"

11 hours ago, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1: Chicago has had a pretty decent start to the season with a 7-5-1 record. From what you've seen so far, do you think we will be a playoff team?

2: Do you think The Frenchman (DCD) wins back-to-back Mike Szatkowski (Most Regular Season Points) Trophies?

3: Chicago player Yaroslav Trunov is off to a hot start. Will they end the season as our team's MVP?

1. Hard to tell, Simon loves to do Simon things, so I wouldn't make any calls yet.

2. There's always a possibility, but as we've come to know from Simon, the expected outcome is almost never the one that actually happens, just look at Cologne this season in the E.

4. He has a few that I've actually mentioned in my MS posts throughout the past season and a half. Some of the best and most iconic one being "Monegasque McJesus".

5. Two-Way Forward, just from looking at his VHLM season you can tell that Devote is a TWF. Hell he even won the award for his performance last season.

6. I personally like the VHL logo the most, but that's a side effect of it being the most clean one since it has less letters. It is also the base logo for the rest of the leagues so it's kinda hard to not choose it.

8. Honestly depends, if your hero is someone like an actor then for sure, but if your hero is an athlete then I think it'll probably be fine. Most athletes recognize where they've come from and are actually good people, where a lot of actors have bad reputations for how they treat their fans.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:49 PM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

1. I think we will make the post-season. We've played a lot of strong teams and have yet to play teams around us in the standings.

2. Yes, he has been going crazy this season and can see it doing again.

3. I think so. They've been the #1 guy since Scotty Sundin retired.

4. My player doesn't have a nickname, but it would probably be Georgie or Richie.

5. I think George Richmond at the moment is a two-way forward. Eventually he'll be a sniper.

6. I really like Chicago's logo, but besides that Moscow has a really nice logo. I think a lot of the VHL teams have extremely good logos.

I sure hope so! Think realistically we will be fighting for that wildcard spot for the majority of the season and it will be close.

I will say no and take the field but I expect him to still have a very good season!

I would assume so, clearly the most talented player on the team TPE wise and has a solid build!

Hmm never really thought about it maybe something like Schwarzy?

Two-way center who is decent on both ends of the ice.

I really like a lot of them, the league does solid with branding! I'll say Chicago, definitely no bias at all haha

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF April 1st - April 7th

1: Which teams do you think win their championships this season in each of the three leagues? (VHL,VHLE & VHLM?)

2: What'd be your goal song this season?

3: What kind of build are you planning for your next player?

4: With Rempe and Xhekaj joining the NHL in recent seasons do you think we'll see a resurgence of the Grinder / Enforcer-type players?

5: Do you think Ovechkin will retire the moment he hits 895 goals?

6: Speaking of retirement, which active NHL player do you think will make a great coach / GM?

7: Which Movie / TV character do you think deserves their own spin off series?

8: What is your favorite snack?

On 4/3/2024 at 3:31 PM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF April 1st - April 7th

1: Which teams do you think win their championships this season in each of the three leagues? (VHL,VHLE & VHLM?)

4: With Rempe and Xhekaj joining the NHL in recent seasons do you think we'll see a resurgence of the Grinder / Enforcer-type players?

6: Speaking of retirement, which active NHL player do you think will make a great coach / GM?

7: Which Movie / TV character do you think deserves their own spin off series?

1: For VHL, I'll go with Toronto. VHLE I'll say Cologne. For the VHLM, I will say Ottawa.

2: Kickstart my Heart by Motley Crue

3: It's going to be a while away for my next player, might try a goalie as I haven't done that yet.

4: I feel like possibly, but most of that specific type of game is dead. It's all about speed now.

5: He'll probably keep going until he thinks it's not worth it anymore. I don't know how many more seasons he's got in him though.

6: Sidney Crosby. I could see him being a coach after he retires in the near future.

I think in my predictions I said Malmo for VHL so I will stick with that, I will say Cologne for VHLE and Ottawa in the VHLM

Maybe some AC/DC, TNT perhaps?

My player is still relatively young so not thinking that far ahead really. Will see what I feel like at that time and league needs.

Probably just depends on how strict rule enforcement by the refs/player discipline is and if teams feels a larger need for them.

Probably not since if that happens mid season doubt he just bails on his team.

Currently it is probably a small bowl of popcorn,

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF April 8th-April 14th

1: Do you think the Phoenix needs to make a trade or two to be successful this season?

2: Not sure if our Arena has a name, but if you had to name/rename The Chicago Phoenix arena, what'd you call it?

3: What do you think of this season's Theme Week? (Rebrand)

4: Which NHL team should rebrand? (Doesn't have to be a bad team, just one you dislike the branding of.)

5: Will the Boston Bruins ever have a down year?

6: The NHL playoffs are right around the corner. Who is your early Stanley Cup-winning team? 

7: What is one song on your playlist that you haven't fully listened to in a long time?

8: What is your opinion of outer space?

On 4/9/2024 at 10:40 PM, Masu Chan said:

Y32Br0F.png

WEEK OF April 8th-April 14th

1: Do you think the Phoenix needs to make a trade or two to be successful this season?

2: Not sure if our Arena has a name, but if you had to name/rename The Chicago Phoenix arena, what'd you call it?

4: Which NHL team should rebrand? (Doesn't have to be a bad team, just one you dislike the branding of.)

6: The NHL playoffs are right around the corner. Who is your early Stanley Cup-winning team? 

7: What is one song on your playlist that you haven't fully listened to in a long time?

8: What is your opinion of outer space?

1. I think if the timing and trade is right, we should, otherwise we don't have to make trades now.

2. I would name it "The Nest".

3. I think it's pretty cool. You get to see the creative side of people.

4. Columbus Blue Jackets. I like the cannon, just not a fan of the jerseys.

5. I mean, it has to happen eventually, right?

6. I'm going to go with the Dallas Stars. They've got some great depth and seem pretty stacked.

Depends on the definition of success for this season. If the goal is to be cup contenders then yes trades would be needed.

The Chicago Bean Bowl Arena sponsored by Chipotle. Cole's answer above is probably better though.

Always fun to see the creative ideas for branding that the community has. A pretty good topic overall

Sounds like the Arizona Coyotes are moving so perhaps a re brand naturally comes from that.

I'm sure they will eventually, though I don't anticipate one soon,

I think Carolina has a pretty good shot this year, a really talented team overall.