Chicago Phoenix Press Conference

JeffD

1. if hockey didn't exist, what other sport would you enjoy?

Well I actually am a fan of many sports. I'd say baseball is my next biggest love. Go Jays. But I also am an fan of basketball, and most recently cricket. I watch alot of sports!

2. What franchises are the most prestigious in the VHL?
As much as I hate to say it, the Bears have probably earned that title. There's a few teams that have pretty rich history though for sure.

3. What aspect of hockey is crucial to a team, defense or offense?
It's all relative, but the old saying goes, defense wins championships, and I believe that.  And you need defense from everyone, forwards too. Look at the NHL playoffs and how different the game gets. Time and space are drastically reduced because all the teams clamp down and start playing playoff level defense. 

4. Do you believe that prehistoric dinosaurs existed? 
Yeah I think it's entirely possible. There seems to be evidence that supports it so yeah.

5. Baby Bob is third for the most goals this season. What's the best attribute in his build? 
I can't pick just one, but he has the staples... scoring, defense, puck-handling and skating. He's having a heck of a year and I am real glad he's on the team!

6. Since it's VHL's birthday, what is your favorite VHL moment?

There are a bunch.. in terms of actual sim hockey I thought the Marauders epic Founder's Cup win in my first ever season was a pretty cool story even though I wasn't on the team. They scooped up some god tier first gens just before the end of the season, snuck into the playoffs as an 8 seed and won it all. Also winning the cup in Malmo was a great experience for me. Will always have a special place in my heart for the homies from Malmo.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:21 PM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

1. if hockey didn't exist, what other sport would you enjoy?

Baseball is the easy one to pick for this, I grew up playing it while I played hockey in the winter.

2. What franchises are the most prestigious in the VHL?

Depends I guess. I guess you would have to include Seattle in that conversation.

3. What aspect of hockey is crucial to a team, defense or offense?

Both. If I had to choose one or the other I would probably say team defense can get you really far.

4. Do you believe that prehistoric dinosaurs existed? 

Absolutely. There is plenty of hard evidence to back up that they existed.

5. Baby Bob is third for the most goals this season. What's the best attribute in his build? 

Got to be his high SC attribute. It has helped him click with some of the playmakers on our squad.

6. Since it's VHL's birthday, what is your favorite VHL moment?

Winning the cup as general manager of the Chicago Phoenix so early in our history was an amazing moment for me.

CHICAGO PHOENIX PRESS CONFERENCE

ANSWER 6 FOR 2 TPE; 3 FOR 1 TPE

1. What do you believe Aurelian Moreau can bring to the team? 
2. Does your player have that "DAWG" in him? 
3. Do you have any ideas for a creative Theme Week? 
4. Would you rather be the only one drunk at the family reunion or be the only one sober? 
5. What is your favorite hockey moment? 
6. Would you rather face Godzilla or face King Kong?

1. What do you believe Aurelian Moreau can bring to the team? 

A ton of experience and a great playmaking presence based on what he's brought to his previous teams.

It doesn't but it does have cards that represent six murder weapons along with potential murder suspects

I find the biggest problem is making a Theme Week that graphic users can submit to, like I think suggestions would be a good one but it's difficult to make a graphic of.
4. Would you rather be the only one drunk at the family reunion or be the only one sober? 

I really don't drink all that much so tbh, I'm usually the only one that's sober.

I'm a pretty recent hockey fan, so most memorable was prolly when Sharks came back from 3-0 in 3rd against Vegas to win the series in playoffs. 

I feel like Godzilla generally offers more of a threat to humans than King Kong so I'd probably go with King Kong as the one I'd face.

I think he really solidifies our defense and gives us the depth we needed back there on the blueline. Plus, as a veteran of our league and a longtime member of Moscow, he has a ton of playoff experience and I think he will be invaluable come playoff time.

No sir my body is animal free, can confidently confirm.

No I got lazy and skipped theme week and just did a media spot and claimed the triples week. There are lots of good posts from other people if you are looking for inspiration though.

I wouldn't wanna be either but being the only sober person in any scenario is hella annoying so I guess Id go with option A.

Probably Eberle scoring the tying goal in the World Jrs vs Russia to send it to overtime and eventually win the game... kinda awkward answer considering all the shit with Hockey Canada right now, but this was such a surreal moment for me.... check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8v8C3scwvg&ab_channel=WorldJrs09Ottawa

Both seem like a bad time. I think Godzilla would be smarter than King Kong so maybe I can outsmart King Kong somehow lol.

On 7/25/2022 at 8:03 PM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

Another excellent playmaker on the backend to go with Bo Johansson - I think they will be a great duo.

I guess we will see when he makes the VHL, but as of right now he has battled to be a goalie for a top team in the VHLM so I would say yes.

I like the idea of these historic theme weeks but right now I don't think I have anything super specific to suggest.

I would rather be the only one drunk I think but being the only sober person among a bunch of drunks is always super annoying.

The one that pops into my mind is Jonathan Toews taking all of those shootout attempts in 2007. It was absolutely electric.

Both would no doubt destroy me but Godzilla has that terrifying fire breath, I'd rather face King Kong.

1. Are you an indoor person or an outdoor person?
2. Do you think the Chicago Phoenix is an awkward name for the franchise? 
3. Do you like road trips? 

4. Can Baby Bob maintain his spot as a top 3 goal-scorer by the end of the season? 
5. What's the best pizza shop in your country?
6. Boston Celtics legend Bill Russell passed away at 88. Do you have a favorite moment from Bill Russell's career?

I am the most indoor person you'll ever come across lol.

If I am being honest, I absolutely hate the team name.I know a phoenix is a bird but when I say the full name out loud, all I hear is two city names. It's also so scuffed to use in media spots... like if I say "Phoenix forward Scotty Sundin" it sounds like the city Phoenix lol Sorry, but I hate it.

Okay so yes... but I don't drive so its easy for me to like a road trip when I don't have to do any driving. There's nothing like assembling a solid play list and going on a long ass road trip though...

4. Can Baby Bob maintain his spot as a top 3

goal-scorer by the end of the season? 

Absolutely, I have no doubt in my mind that he will finish at top. That's our Bobby boy. 

I don't know about in "my country" ... but in my city we got some good options., New Orleans Pizza is pretty good. Gino's Pizza used to be on of my favs but then the ownership changed hands and it kinda went to shit. I get Domino's alot though, just purely for the savings. 

6. Boston Celtics legend Bill Russell passed away at 88. Do you have a favorite moment from Bill Russell's career?

Yes  I heard Bill Russell passed away, that's too bad, the dude was definitely an icon in basketball. He was kinda before my time and I am not a Celtics fan either, so I don't know alot of moments in particular, but I know he won a shit ton of championships, so good on him.

On 8/1/2022 at 10:04 PM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

I like both. I do spend a decent amount of time on the computer in the evenings after work but I also play a lot of golf and baseball, and try to be outdoors as much as I can be on the weekends.

I enjoy it. Some people don't like the double city name but there is some meaning behind it with the Chicago fire connection.

I love going on road trips with friends or even just drives on my own. One of the most relaxing things I can think of.

4. Can Baby Bob maintain his spot as a top 3 goal-scorer by the end of the season? 

Obviously I am late to this and he did manage it, I am just disappointed I could not get him to 50 goals.

There is a really good spot in my town called Dino's. Been going there since I was in high school and still try to go there once a month.

Not really a specific moment but I do know the impact he had on the sport of basketball in general which is awesome.

1. How do you feel about our matchup against the Seattle Bears? 
2. Which team is the "Darkhorse" of the VHL playoffs? 
3. Who is going to win the VHL cup? 
4. Who is going to take home the VHLE cup? 
5. Which team will hold the VHLM cup at the end of the tournament? 
6. Who roared to NHL stardom as "the Golden Jet"?

I did feel quietly confident going into it, but the Bears were the reigning champions so taking them to seven showed we can compete.

Heading into this playoff round, I'd have said Warsaw, but it looks like they're doing very well atm against Moscow.

I guess I'll go with Warsaw so my boy Girts gets a cup.

I'll go with the Red Wolves although I think it will be a fairly close contest by the end.

Well funnily enough this has already been resolved by the time I've answered these, congrats to Shindigs and the Aces!

That would be Bobby Hull. Did I have to wikipedia that? Absolutely, I know the name as a star hockey player but wasn't familiar with the nickname. 

On 8/8/2022 at 9:15 PM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

I knew if was going to be a tough series but taking them to seven games really showed that the team is coming together well.

Probably Warsaw? They seem to be doing really well right now.

I wouldn't mind Warsaw getting another cup. Always cool to see an expansion franchise get one.

I'll go with Vasteras for this one, they have a solid squad.

It looks like the Aces already managed to take it home, big congratulations to Chicago Phoenix player Shingdigs!

Bobby Hull! One of the all-time greats of the game.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

1. Chicago is the team of Destiny, and Seattle have been at the top long enough.

2. Calgary, such a dark horse they got bounced early.

3. Chicago! Actually I don't even know who is still in the playoffs.

4. Istanbul!

5. Saskatoon!

6. Bobby Hull, WHA legend.

1. The Chicago Phoenix came up short in Game 7 against the Seattle Bears. If anything, what have you learned about your player throughout the series?
2. Everyone has reason to believe that the Chicago Phoenix will improve next season. Do you think we can improve this team? Why or why not? 
3. Which shot is more challenging for the goalie to stop; a slap shot or a wrist shot?
4. What is the worst team in VHL history? 
5. What is the best team in VHL history? 
6. How will your player improve to ensure the team will be back in the semi-finals?

1. The Chicago Phoenix came up short in Game 7 against the Seattle Bears. If anything, what have you learned about your player throughout the series?

I think my player just needs to execute better, point per game in the playoffs isn't too bad but given shooting percentage should probably have been better.
2. Everyone has reason to believe that the Chicago Phoenix will improve next season. Do you think we can improve this team? Why or why not? 

I haven't really looked into the markets heading into the offseason, I think quite a few of our core players continue to improve so that will help, but depends on if we can replace Moreau and what our goalie can do to improve.
3. Which shot is more challenging for the goalie to stop; a slap shot or a wrist shot?

TBH, I've never played ice hockey goalie so I'll go with slap shot just cause of the power.

I remember there was a Toronto Legion team in the late 50's-early 60's that got like 11 regular season points, so I'd have to go with them.

I guess I'd have to go with the three-peating Legion from Season 48-50. 
6. How will your player improve to ensure the team will be back in the semi-finals?

I'm going to keep earning my TPE so hopefully I can use that to boost some of my attributes out that will help the team out.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:24 AM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

My player isn't on the team but I learned that many of the players on this squad have what it takes to compete with the best teams in the league and as they continue to improve it will only get better going forward. Things are looking bright for this team.

100%. Nearly every key piece of this team continues to improve. We have some regressing members of the team but we have younger layers able to step into bigger roles.

Wrist shot. The precision that they can be placed with is so much higher. A slap shot often relies on screens and such to get through.

I'm not sure about all of VHL history but of recent history our team from a couple of seasons ago has to be among the worst, we were real bad.

Once again if we are going by recent history it would probably be those Vancouver squads.

My player isn't on the squad but as a goaltender his job would just be to continue to earn to give us a fighting chance at making it deep.

1. Who should be the MVP of our team this season? 
2. Who should be considered the "Most Improved Player" on the team? 
3. What NHL team plays in an arena called The Pond?
4. What pro team made it to the playoffs 29 straight times in 1996?
5. Did you expect the Warsaw Predators to win the VHL Continental Cup?
6. What is the ]best trait a GM needs to learn to rebuild a bad team?

It'd have to be Bob, their stats were high throughout the season. 

Unfortunately I don't think too many players improved upon their previous season, but Scotty Sundin definitely did so I'll go with them.

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess at the Ducks based on the name?

I haven't been following hockey that long so not sure, I guess I'll go Lightning?

I didn't when the playoffs first started, I had it as being either us or DC, but I had them winning it all once they found themselves up against Moscow onwards.

Good scouting is a hugely important trait to have, getting a steal who makes the VHL in the 3rd-4th rounds or a second rounder who becomes one of the better players in their class is what will help propel a bad team up the rankings quicker.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:38 AM, xNJDevilsFanx said:

I think I would have to give it to Baby Bob. The guy was incredible through the season and his goal scoring was among the best in the whole league.

We didn't have a ton of players really improve a ton stats wise, but the team definitely improved results wise. If I had to say someone I would likely say Scotty Sundin.

That would be the Anaheim Ducks. Bring back the Mighty Ducks!

That would be the Detroit Red Wings.

I'm not sure I really did but it is nice to see a team that is built a bit unorthodox with only three defensemen win it, shows it can be done in different ways.

Patience. I think way too many GMs try to rebuild for one season and can't handle the losing so they try to make quick trades and often end up making poor moves that just get their teams stuck in complete mediocrity or worse.

1. What makes the sport of hockey so exciting? 
2. What makes school/work demoralizing? 
3. Would you ever play professional hockey?
4. Which player "called his shot" during the 1997 All-Star Game in San Jose?
5. Do you have a favorite science experiment? 
6. Fill in the blank: The Chicago Phoenix will finish with a record of ___

1. How is your VHFL group going right now?
2. Would you put the Chicago Phoenix in the top five best contending teams? 
3. What's more crucial to a defender, passing or body-checking?
4. How will Baby Bob's impact on the Chicago Phoenix take this team to the next level?

5. Since Aurelian Moreau has retired, we signed Alessandro Nano as our replacement defenseman. How will he link with Bo Johansson? 
6. The Chicago Phoenix acquired Cole Pearce and Juice Box from London United for an S86 CHI 1st. How can Cole Pearce and Juice Box add some offensive firepower to our roster?

1. How is your VHFL group going right now?

They haven't added the scores up yet so not entirely sure, but the draft was unfortunately quite slow! I'm happy with the players I got through and hopefully my picks work out well

2. Would you put the Chicago Phoenix in the top five best contending teams? 

I would say so, while we're at middle of the pack right now, we had a much more difficult schedule than some of those ahead of us, so I'd expect to see us near the top come end of regular season

3. What's more crucial to a defender, passing or body-checking?

I'd personally say passing, physicality is nice but there's a lot of other ways to defend whereas passing is very important for a defenseman

4. How will Baby Bob's impact on the Chicago Phoenix take this team to the next level?

It'll be huge, they're a great goal-scorer and will definitely help us rack up the goals in both regular season and playoffs

5. Since Aurelian Moreau has retired, we signed Alessandro Nano as our replacement defenseman. How will he link with Bo Johansson? 

I think we've decided to play both on different lines which I think is a good idea, as that gives us a great proven defenseman on both lines. 

6. The Chicago Phoenix acquired Cole Pearce and Juice Box from London United for an S86 CHI 1st. How can Cole Pearce and Juice Box add some offensive firepower to our roster?

Pearce is a very high TPA goalie, so I expect them to be a big improvement on our goalie from last season and Juice Box has been a solid player for London for a few years now and is an improvement on our last #4 defenseman, so that should be a boost as well

1. What are you most excited about our team? 
2. Do you believe that Trivia questions need a revamp? 
3. Are the Vancouver Wolves dark horses this season? 
4. Who will be the next team captain for the Chicago Phoenix? 
5. What are you most impressed with about your game? 
6. Who was the first American-born NHL player to reach the 50-goal mark three times?

1. If there was one team you could rebrand in the VHL, what would it be?
2. How would you rebrand the team?
3. Who was the 12th player in NHL history to score a hat-trick in the All-Star Game? 
4. What are your player goals this season? 
5. What country deserves another VHL team? 
6. Who were the 2000 and 2001 Stanley Cup champions?

• 2 weeks later...

1. Can you name a VHL player who should be in the HoF? 

2. How do you prepare for a VHL game?
3, Does your player have any pre-game rituals before he steps on the ice? 
4. What is the main goal for a VHL player? 
5. What age would you consider a hockey player in his prime?
6. Have you ever been to Waffle House? If so, what is your favorite dish on the menu?