LA Stars Press Conference

Josh

1.     How do you bounce back from a rough patch?

It’s really all about mental focus. I remind myself that I have the talent to succeed, I just need to keep my focus on playing as best as I can. If you quiet your mind, you will bounce back.

2.     At the half way point for the season, do you have any awards predictions that have changed?

Basically all of them?  None of my picks are leading in any of the statistical categories. Seems like it might be a lean year for prediction TPE.

3.     As we keep battling in the NA thunderdome, how will we stand out from the other teams?

Our top D pair is the best in the league. That will always make us stand out for other teams.

4.     If you were running a youth hockey camp, what skills would the kids learn from you?

I’d teach them how to skate better. Every young player can be helped by becoming a better skater.

5.     What is your pre-game routine?

Nothing too special, put on my gear, chat with anyone who is willing to talk, stay relaxed. I start to get focused a couple of minutes before warm-ups. Then stay in game mode until it’s over.

6.     What is your post-game routine?

Nothing too special, take off my gear, chat with anyone who is willing to talk, stay relaxed. Hopefully the post-game routine includes celebrating with my teammates.

1. How do you bounce back from a rough patch?

I set some easy to accomplish goals to get my mentality back on track.  

2. At the half way point for the season, do you have any awards predictions that have changed?

After doing decently well last season, my predictions are looking pretty bleak this time around.

3. As we keep battling in the NA thunderdome, how will we stand out from the other teams?

I think having a strong set of D-men will help us stand out in the remainder of the season.

4. If you were running a youth hockey camp, what skills would the kids learn from you?

I would probably be best at teaching kids how to check and how to make take huge powerful slappers.

5. What is your pre-game routine?

I don't think I do anything out of the ordinary.  Get to the arena, stretch, get changed, hit the ice.  When we do pre-game drills, I try to be the last one to get the puck in the net before the drills are over.

6. What is your post-game routine?

I like to hit the shower first thing to help me reflect on the game.   After changing, talk with teammates about how things went, things that worked well and that didn't.  It's nice to do this while the game is fresh in our minds. 

1. The NA is in a tight race to the finish. Who doesn't make playoffs of the bubble teams?

2. Who's gonna win the NA?

3. How is your players performance matching up to your expectations?

4. How was your summer?

5. What is your favorite beverage during a game?

6. What about after?

1.     The NA is in a tight race to the finish. Who doesn't make playoffs of the bubble teams?

I mean it seems like the standings change on a day-to-day basis, so it’s going to be really close. I think when it’s all said and done, Vancouver is on the outside looking in.

2.     Who's gonna win the NA?

I said Chicago at the beginning of the season. I’ll stick with that prediction.

3.     How is your players performance matching up to your expectations?

I’m thrilled with how Pistil is playing this season, makes last season even more confusing as this is how he should have been playing. I had high expectations and he exceeded those.

4.     How was your summer?

Pretty good, just got back from a family reunion which was cancelled last year. Really nice to have it happen this year.

5.     What is your favorite beverage during a game?

Really nothing beats good ol’ fashioned water. But I need some Gatorade in there on occasion, keep the electrolytes up.

6.     What about after?

It might not fit with the whole hockey motif, but I love sipping on a Caipirinha, a famous drink from Brazil that has cahaca (a rum like alcohol) as its star ingredient.

1. The NA is in a tight race to the finish. Who doesn't make playoffs of the bubble teams?

The Wolves and New York sadly won't make the cut.  It will be some combination of Seattle, Chicago, Calgary, D.C., and us.

I think Chicago will win NA during the season.

I didn't have high expectations so I am doing about as well as I could have hopped for I suppose.  I've been more physical than I expected which has been a nice surprise. 

4. How was your summer?

It's been okay, seen the family several times.  Other than that just taking it easy.

Typically I prefer some high quality H2O.  But getting some Powerade/Gatorade or whatever is also good.  Big lime Powerade/Gatorade guy. 

6. What about after?

I mostly drink water or water with flavoring additives.  A nice iced tea can always hit the spot though.

Toronto will be at home in the basement followed by one of my favorite teams, NY.

That's a hard one. Seattle is known for their hard nosed play at the end of the season. Chicago or Seattle.

Far beyond what where I set the bar. This could be Merrick's best season of his career.

4. How was your summer?

Hot as hell but the rink keeps you cool.

I like a good cold beer, most of the time.

6. What about after?

I really like beer after the games too.

- Let's go with Toronto because I don't like that city.

- Seattle is cool and I'm currently there on vacation so Seattle!

Honestly pretty good, almost half a point per game which is well above what I thought I'd be getting.

4. How was your summer?

Good! Just on vacation in Seattle as said before, nice place.

BEER!

6. What about after?

MORE BEER!!

1.  Last time we played Chicago in the playoffs we swept them. What can we do to ensure victory again?

2. Merrick, Stamen, Gucci and Letang have all had amazing years, who is your team MVP?

3. What do you do to ensure the locker room remains a positive place (discord or the fictional locker room)?

4. Does your player have any secret talents?

5. If your player had to play another sport, which sport would they play and why?

6. If your player had to work a non-sport related job, which job would they do and why?

Edited by rory

1.  Last time we played Chicago in the playoffs we swept them. What can we do to ensure victory again?

- idk Rory you're the gm you tell me

2. Merrick, Stamen, Gucci and Letang have all had amazing years, who is your team MVP?

- wtf it's obviously me. (Letang tho)

3. What do you do to ensure the locker room remains a positive place (discord or the fictional locker room)?

- not participate in it :dab:

- cooking minute rice in 58 seconds

5. If your player had to play another sport, which sport would they play and why?

- soccer, maybe he's even better at that than hockey MonkaS

6. If your player had to work a non-sport related job, which job would they do and why?

- probably a hype man for popular music figures

1.  Last time we played Chicago in the playoffs we swept them. What can we do to ensure victory again?

Play hard and stick to what works.

Merrick lead the team in points but I think Letang would get my vote. Huge lift to the team.

Just be active and talk to your team mates as friends.

Merrick and make fart sounds with his arm pits.

Competitive checkers. What a edge of your seat sport that is...

I would be some tech nerd playing games and sims on my pc.

We ended the season strong, so I think we should stick to what we have been doing.

I would say Letang, but it's a tough call.

I just try to be a constant positive force, even when things aren't going well.

I don't think I have any secret talents, I tend to let everyone know what I am good at.

Maybe rugby, does being tall and strong help in rugby?

Maybe open up a gym and help people get buff.

1.     Last time we played Chicago in the playoffs we swept them. What can we do to ensure victory again?

We’ve really come together at the end of the season. I think we carry that momentum into the playoff series and we’ll do great.

2.     Merrick, Stamen, Gucci and Letang have all had amazing years, who is your team MVP?

It’s a really tough call. Obviously, I think I played great. But Letang had an all-time great season for a defenseman. You have to give it to him.

3.     What do you do to ensure the locker room remains a positive place (discord or the fictional locker room)?

I try to stay positive. It’s a long season and there can be ups and downs. Focusing on the good things helps everyone stay positive.

4.     Does your player have any secret talents?

Stamen is from Brazil so he can juggle a soccer ball 500 times in a row on command.

5.     If your player had to play another sport, which sport would they play and why?

Soccer, because it’s the game I grew up playing along with hockey.

6.     If your player had to work a non-sport related job, which job would they do and why?

I think I would be one of those home renovator guys that redo whole houses. I think it’s awesome to build something completely new from an old house.

1. Who has been the standout playoff performer so far?

2. Any surprises from the first rounds?

3. What should the team do in the draft?

4. Do you enjoy autumn?

5. How are you enjoying the long weekend?

6. How did your player spend their first majors paycheque?

1. Who has been the standout playoff performer so far?

I think Merrick has been out standout so far, leading the team in points and goals.

2. Any surprises from the first rounds?

I don't think there have been any surprises.  DC/Calgary was a toss up for me, but other than that everything is going as expected I would say.

3. What should the team do in the draft?

It seems we need to pick up a little bit of defense and a little bit of offense. 

4. Do you enjoy autumn?

Yeah it's great, leaves change colors and it's not too hot or cold.  Best season imo.

5. How are you enjoying the long weekend?

It's great!  Hopefully we close out this series with a win in game 7.  Perfect way to kick off the week.

6. How did your player spend their first majors paycheque?

Paycheque?? What kind of freaky deaky Canadian/English spelling is this??  I have been pretty conservative with my money, did spend a bit just to get a place set up in LA.  Turns out it's very expensive here.

1.     Who has been the standout playoff performer so far?

I was a standout during the first two games, but have cooled off considerably. Merrick has been great for the entire series.

2.     Any surprises from the first rounds?

Not really. Even our series going the distance isn’t a big surprise.

3.     What should the team do in the draft?

Need to shore up the defense for sure, but we also need to get a young goalie in here, let them learn under Dimmadome before they leave.

4.     Do you enjoy autumn?

I do. Our dog is waiting for the leaves to start to fall so they can go crazy in leaf piles.

5.     How are you enjoying the long weekend?

Had time to go on a hike around a nearby lake yesterday. Doing stuff around the house today. Probably will do more stuff around the house tomorrow. Marquee event is making our first batch of homemade ice cream tonight.

6.     How did your player spend their first majors paycheque?

Pistil sent almost every penny back to his village in Brazil. Only kept enough for himself to get a stylish American haircut.

1. What are your takeaways from the playoffs?

2. Who are you cheering for in the finals?

3. Give me your HOTTEST award take for the season

4. Who is going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame?

5. If you had to pick a member to return to their peak activity, who would it be and why?

6. What song are you singing for team karaoke? 

I think it was fun as hell to make it as far as we did. A huge success even though we didn't go all the way.

I would hope Seattle adds another cup to their collection. Amazing team that we had a tough series against.

Best dman- Alex Letang.

Alex Letang will get there at some point I would hope.

5. If you had to pick a member to return to their peak activity, who would it be and why?

I would like to see Merrick in his younger form.

I don't really sing karaoke but if I did, it would be the "Barney" theme song.

I think going to 7 in the NA finals shows that we were a legit team.

Malmo!  They have done well for having an inactive GM all season.

No awards should be given out, at all!

I'm not sure how is eligible, but certainly not that Hulk Hogan guy.

I'm not sure, but hopefully people who are inactive are busy with things they enjoy.

I always start the karaoke session with "Interstate Love Song" by Stone Temple Pilots.

18 hours ago, Garsh said:

I think going to 7 in the NA finals shows that we were a legit team.

Malmo!  They have done well for having an inactive GM all season.

No awards should be given out, at all!

I'm not sure how is eligible, but certainly not that Hulk Hogan guy.

I'm not sure, but hopefully people who are inactive are busy with things they enjoy.

I always start the karaoke session with "Interstate Love Song" by Stone Temple Pilots.

k garsh

1. What does your player do during the offseason?

2. Arvid Johansson is off to the VHLE, how did he contribute to LA's success last season?
3. How would your player react to being in a veteran role on a new VHLE team, like Johannsson will?
4. We're training a robot to create VHL drama threads and need some thread names to feed it. Please help.

5. Which player is your dream teammate?

6. What other languages do you want to know/are interested in?

Not a lot. The aging Merrick likes to chill and watch movies in his underwear.

2. Arvid Johansson is off to the VHLE, how did he contribute to LA's success last season?
LA had a great season and everyone, from rookie to vets stepped up to make it all happen. He was a good player for us.
3. How would your player react to being in a veteran role on a new VHLE team, like Johannsson will?

I think he will carry himself well and be a team leader. Good future for him.
4. We're training a robot to create VHL drama threads and need some thread names to feed it. Please help.

1) What's a Pronoun and how not to use them. 2) What GM should be removed for having such a shitty record over and over. Only two I can think of.

Kate Upton in any position.

I know a little English and enough Spanish to get my ass kicked. Oh, I can say "How are you doing" in Chinese.

Trains at his hometown... which happens to be Davos the same team he plays at. David trains with some of his old Swiss league teammates and friends. Some training, but most importantly he does take some time off and goes on an exotic vacation to a randomly chosen Southern European country.

I honestly have no clue.

The horror. *wakes up from a nightmare* that was a nightmare...

Ylilauta.

Dream teammate huh, that Alvaro Jokinen guy was a solid guy, met him few seasons back. I've been told he is a great overall dude and a teammate.

French would be a beautiful language to learn.

With how busy the season is, I don't have time to return home to France.  Offseason is the perfect time to head home and relax.

He had a good number of shots blocked, putting his body on the line for the team.

It would certainly be interesting, I have nothing against the E but once I am up, I don't want to come back down.

Best people here but socially distanced NOT AUTO 12?!?!?!?

Jeffrey Pines bay-bay!

I know French and would like to learn Klingon.

• During the offseason, it is an all day rotation of golf and hitting the pool.

• Pretty incredibly contribution from a rookie but I wouldn't expect anything less from a Marlin alum.

• It be nice to feel a little more secure in knowing the results will be there but the E will be a bloodbath with such similar talent levels. It'll prepare players for the VHL in short order.

• I place all of the AGMs in there. Hope the robot has a Celebrity Death Match style event in mind.

• I almost got the chance to reunite with Scotty Kaberle so I'd love the chance to actually play with him.

• I know a bit of Spanish and Hebrew. I'd love to learn those languages more.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:26 AM, rory said:

1. Golf, lots and lots of golf.

2. Not sure, I wasn't on the team last season, but he was there at least!

3. Obviously try to establish yourself on the team and lead others to get that dub

4. VHL Keemstar

5. The Reinhart brothers

6. I am super interested in learning French and have already done a French exchange trip to learn more of the language.