Not trying to start anything

Spangle

I had a long post that rambled a bit, but fucked up and wound up losing it all. Dammit.

Thus, you will all be spared the long post and I will just post what the gist of it was (it turns out this was a lie, as this is still a pretty long post, just different from the original one, so you were not spared at all):

I respect the efforts and accomplishments of the VHL. 40 seasons is an amazing accomplishment. I also respect the commissioners here, as guys like Victor, Jardy, Knight, and sterling, are phenomenal individuals who deserve the praise they get.

Ultimately, however, both the VHL and SHL have a major problem. Both of us have members who are hostile when it comes to the other league and do nothing but trash it whenever a member from the other "side" comes to give the other a shot. This is undoubtedly due to preconceived notions about the other league and, at the end of the day, all it does is confirm those preconceived notions, which is too bad, as both leagues bring a lot to the table and have done a great job at capturing member bases. It is not easy to survive as a sim league, but both of us have done so and both look extremely likely to continue on the path we are on.

In addition, some members from here will go on the SHL and do nothing but trash the SHL, even when they are using the pretense of giving their opinions on the way things are run. This hostility invites the aforementioned hostility, though it certainly does not excuse it. Same goes with SHL members joining the VHL (gorlab), who give their hostile takes on the league with no constructiveness and just pure hatred.

What I want by posting this league is for both leagues to be able to be accepting of the other. If you went on the SHL and hated it, I'm sorry it was not for you. If you went on the VHL and hated it, I'm sorry it was not for you. Many enjoy both, however, so please be respectful to those who do. if you go to the other league and do not enjoy it, but wish to stay, please be constructive in your critcism of the other league. If you see somebody being unconstructive, do not respond with "lol the VHL sucks" or "lol the SHL is trash". Rather, either move on or attempt to respond to them in a constructive manner. Just because they are unconstructive does not mean you have to be too. (I am a huge violator of this, especially with Kendrick just tonight, so for that, I am sorry. I will attempt to improve that in the future.)

At the end of the day, respect is the name of the game. Both of us have been around a long time and are both majorly popular leagues. Just because we are both hockey leagues does not mean we have to be locked in a dick measuring contest at every turn.

Sorry if this makes no sense. I kind of rambled again here, but regardless, I hope that people here can respect the SHL and the way we run things, just as I wish people in the SHL can respect the way things happen over here.

tl;dr (that bold thing is cool, btw) Be respectful of the other league. There is no reason for hostility, even if you did not enjoy it. Please rise above childishness and just enjoy what you enjoy, rather than being so focused on projecting negativity on something others enjoy, even if you do not.

What you look like when you trash the other league and people who enjoy it:

1369791740277.jpg

Edited by Spangle

I think we should have a summit series tbh

I agree. One of the major issues is the different update scales, but I see no reason why we couldn't play like 4 games or something and have 2 of them be done under VHL rules and 2 under SHL rules. Keep the TPE totals about even (it's easier to get TPE in the SHL, so we'd have more 1,000 TPE guys, I assume) and have players who participate in it alter their player slightly to accommodate the different update scales.

Also, I guess I'll formally apologize to all the VHLers.

Like Spangs said, being from SHL I had a predisposed dislike for VHL and took it a little too far with my criticism of your league. I'll admit that I've actually enjoyed my time on the VHL thus far. I find the different avenues for producing tpe (like FM950 and Fantasy Zones) are really quite fun and the submission grading really makes you want to put sufficient effort into your work (which, like some people have said, can sometimes be lacking on SHL). Things work a bit differently, but I can tell that VHL is just as good as SHL.

I also find a large number of the member base here still took the time to help me after I bashed the VHL for 50 pages, and for that you guys deserve kudos. Any time I've pm'd someone using the chat system (whether it was Draper, sball, sherf, Advantage, quite a few others) with a legitimate question about how to do something on this site, or just to chat, they were really helpful and friendly with me.

So, hopefully, this will put an end to this site vs site war that I caused. Again, apologies to everyone on this site. I see myself being an active member of both the SHL and VHL going forward.

Edited by gorlab

While I'm ultimately more active here and personally prefer the VHL, the SHL was my first ever sim league, I was a very active member of the League for quite a while, and there are a good amount of people there that I like and believe are solid members (plus I'm still semi-active over there). And while I hate to say something that's pretty much already been said, I really don't like the disputes that have been going on between these two leagues - not just from the thread gorlab started, but from the general rivalry between the SHL and VHL for however long it's been going on (I know, not exactly a different or groundbreaking thing to say). Which is why I'm glad that this thread has been started and that people seem to agree with Spangle's post. It was never good for either league and never could have been. As someone who used to have roughly an equal amount of activity in both leagues, it was very frustrating to see how much VHLers disliked the SHL and vice versa. Hopefully this is a sign of improvement, and I'd love to see that summit series actually done.

I never knew the SHL had so many more people than we did. Do you guys go on massive recruiting things or something?

Usually we get like 20-30 new recruits per season. This years, we got upwards of 100 new players (though like 20-30 were the type who just created and left). So, our "number of people online today" is inflated. Prior to this recruiting drive, it usually hovered around 130-150 daily.

Intriguing. What have you been doing to get so many new people?

Believe it or not, Reddit. I have no idea how it worked so well. We posted on quite a few subreddits, but that many new signups? No way.

And for a few seasons we got quite a bit from some Latvian sim league. One guy made his way over and brought all his friends (like 30 of them).

Edited by Spangle