Good or Bad #3 London United

So I haven't done one of these in a long time, and seeing as how I really need the reputation to beat @Quik to win the day, I'll do another Good or Bad article. So if you haven't already read the first two installments of this series, I essentially look at a teams roster, their cap situation, and their effectiveness on the ice, and try to make a decision on whether they are good, or bad. So today we're going to be looking at London United, a team GM'd by @McWolf and the assistant GM @MattyIce. So without further ado lets take a look at this roster and to draw a conclusion on whether London is GOOD or BAD.

ROSTER

Left Wing:

Jon Strider 328 TPA @Strider

Center:

Mikko Lahtinen 962 TPA @Beketov

Kevin King 815 TPA @IamMOOSE

Julian Nousiainen 695 TPA @okochastar

Alec Volchenkov 675 TPA @SirRupertBarnes

That Dude 338 TPA @Cornholio

Right Wing:

The Terrible Trivium 777 TPA @der meister

Average Offensive TPA: 755

Defense:
Erik Killinger 904 TPA @Peace
Kasper Kankkunen 790 TPA @16z
Rusty Knale 283 TPA @HatrickRoy
Kelly Power 242 TPA @Nordin

Average Defensive TPA: 554

Goalie:
Jacob Tonn 974 TPA @MexicanCow123
Nils Friedriksen 343 TPA @Biggreen10

Average Goalie TPA: 658

Average Team TPA: 655

On paper, and in theory this team is a good, VHL pro team. But in practice there are some glaring issues, the defense. While this team has players such as Killinger and Kankkunen, they still have a problem in the likes of lack of depth. What I mean is while Knale and Power are good players, they're both just rookies and need time to grow into their own. I see this defensive core looking stronger in the future but the biggest reason the average TPA on their defensive core is even above 500 is because of their two super stars. At the moment I'll say their defense needs to work hard and gain some experience and they'll absolutely be a power house. I didn't list prospect players as this article is only going to highlight the current roster. Their offensive core looks awesome, and I'm glad to see such high totals, however I don't know if I like their only being two actual wingers, they seem to be playing centers on the wing which has no penalty technically, however they still have the issue of them investing TPE into faceoffs. Friedrikson seems to be inactive and depreciating, so I don't see this man playing much in the future as his contract is expiring and I don't know any team who wants to pick up an inactive goalie in free agency. 

This season London United is a little in the red when it comes to the cap, they're deep about 1.75 million in the red, and honestly I see that going away as next season they won't have to deal with having an aging inactive goalie to pay. So cap wise I see this team maybe moving a few players around to acquire picks and shed some cap space no problem. Maybe they could move a center for a few picks and use one of those picks to trade or draft a winger or two in the future, as it seems this team has a monopoly on centers. Overall I like how this teams cap situation looks for the future, but I don't think this season will be as good with the problems they're currently facing. 

Overall I like this team, but they have issues. I don't think that they're a team who will thrive in the playoffs, but I think they're a team who makes the playoffs. They were in fact on my power ranking list for the European Conference earlier, and only time will tell if they stay that way. So for now I'm going to have to say that this team is probably GOOD but they need work in order to be great. They may even become a rebuilding team in the future if their defensive core doesn't grow as expected. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're good, and could even be great given some time and careful planning. 

THIS TEAM HAS BEEN DEEMED GOOD

Just now, der meister said:

The goal is for the offense to overcome the shortcomings of the rookie d-men. It's admittedly a little hit and miss at the moment, but we will only get stronger as the season goes on. 🇬🇧

I hope so, honestly y'all are looking good, just that cap space issue may be a problem in the future if nothings done, but you've likely got a plan and I trust in it. Y'all are good 

We tried building a defensive dynamo and we arguably had one of the best defensive rosters in the league a couple seasons ago. Trying a different approach now hoping this works out better. Great article! Keep it up!