PHI / HOU S79 Donny Carter Trade Tree Part 1

TheNeonShaman

*DISCLAIMER - Stats are all from after sims on 12/22/21, also the trade grades are a lot my opinion so just take them with a grain of salt*

Well this trade was big.

Let me set the scene for you. In season 79 of the VHLM, the Houston Bulls were bad. They had 6 players on the team and the bots were not helping. 3 of these six players were Donny Carter @TheNeonShaman, Drakon Zabastovka @DarkSpyro, and Sting Chameleon @Hybrid1486. Houston GM at the time @rjfryman decided to blow the team up and restart. This put all of the players on the trade block and Philadelphia GM @Alex came calling. The original trade was as follows:

image.png.bc484e33e255d6b06168208fda5da458.png

The significance of this trade right off the bat was Philly making a big push for the playoffs. All three players fit in perfectly with Carter and Zabastovka in particular taking off and helping the Reapers clinch a playoff spot. Unfortunately they are wiped off the map by Mexico City in a four game sweep. Houston acquired a ton of draft picks which would be perfect for a rebuild, this is also made more interesting because after S80 Houston gets a new GM. Philly never changes GM so we are really able to break down his style of GMing a bit, sorry Alex but you may be made a bit ineffective after this breakdown.

Now without further ado here is the amazing work of art that is this trade tree:

image.thumb.png.3534021dd855afde62afccc31cf23675.png

Yeah it's a lot and I will be going over each branch separately as best I can.

Just to make the colors make sense here is the color code:

Now let's analyze!

Philadelphia Side

To start, Carter and Zabastovka move up to the VHLE after S79 which ends their branches very simply. However, Alex likes to trade a lot and he decides to trade Chameleon. That one trade sets off an insane trading frenzy that in the end counts up to 17 other trades in the Sting Chameleon branch. That is more trades than all 6 branches of the Houston side had combined. Because all the branches come off of that one trade we are gonna have to break it down a bit more.

image.png.910306c018832457794070fb4f8cb550.png

To start, the Sting Chameleon trade sends him and a S80 6th rounder to Yukon for 3 picks, one in each of the next 3 drafts. Get used to seeing that S82 YUK 4th because even though Yukon isn't in this league anymore, that pick is in so much of this trade tree it's not even funny. With the S80 YUK 5th Philadelphia selects Mikael Mursu, who plays a full season before retiring. The S81 YUK will not be used by Philly and is packaged with a S80 2nd and sent to Halifax for some picks. Of these picks only one is not traded so we can discuss that one. The S81 HFX 4th was kept by Philadelphia and used to draft defenseman Seymour Butts @Squidward2. Butts is over half a point per game this year as a defenseman and has been a very good depth defenseman for them.

Trade Grades:

Chameleon + 6th: B+. Chameleon was bordering inactivity at the time so getting value in a 1st and some depth picks is very good value.

S81 1st + S80 2nd: B. A 1st for a 1st and a 2nd for two 4ths is how it breaks down. Decent value can be gotten in the 4th so this trade definitely is very equal.

image.png.fb364f6ab98e5081ee051bdf67dc6881.png

Starting these branches we have now drafted Hulk Hogan 2 @FonziGG going to Yukon with Shawn Glade V for a S82 1st and S80 4th. Philly made quick work of trading that 4th and sent it to Ottawa for a 5th and a S82 4th. That 5th then is partnered with the 4th they got earlier in the tree and sent to Houston. This trade here is one of the most important ones on the entire tree. It has Philadelphia get a S80 4th and 5th, but with that 4th they select Mason Jones @Masu Chan. Currently two seasons later Jones is the captain and AGM of Philly and a Riga Reign prospect. They are over a point per game in over 100 games with the Reapers. That one pick could be the best GMing on this entire trade tree, but that is definitely debatable.

Trade Grades:

1st + Glade V: C-. Off the cuff it doesn't seem too bad seeing Glade V retire early the next season, but they were trading a player in Hulk Hogan 2 who then scored 100 points that season for a first that did eventually produce value down the branch, but never did on it's own.

4th for picks: B. Nothing super special here but turning one pick into two is a win.

4th + 5th swap: A+. I don't know how you could get so much value out of a 4th and 5th but Philly did. Those two traded picks unfortunately for Houston turned into retired players. One of Philly's picks was the discussed Mason Jones and then the other started a long branch of trading that gets Philly a lot of value.

image.png.3cb0a0751c64ce87cd114bcbd647b4d7.png

Continuing with those branches the Ottawa 4th is packaged with a Houston 5th and sent to Vegas for a S82 2nd and a S81 4th which is then almost immediately sent to San Diego for a 3rd and a 5th. It's an uneventful section of draft pick swapping that does continue, however Philadelphia gets some nice pieces out of it and Dylan Powers @dpowers49 has been a decent depth piece who's now turning into a top forward for the Reapers.

Trade Grades:

5th + S82 4th: A-. This one confuses me everytime I look at it. I'm not sure how Philadelphia turned two mid round picks into a 2nd and a 4th. W for them just doesn't make a ton of sense.

4ths: B. Solid trade that got some value in the 3rd and trade value in the 5th. However those two fourths did turn into very good players.

image.png.073f38d6c38c04557a808470b139b3ff.png

The string continues and actually ends with a bigger trade. The S81 5th acquired from San Diego is flipped back to the Marlins for a S81 7th and a S83 5th. That 5th is then instantly sent to Halifax for a 6th and a 7th that season. That 6th somehow turns into Juha Jarvinen @Collusion, a top tier goalie that everyone expected to be in the VHLE I guess because at 200 tpe he dropped to the 6th round. Philly took a risk and it turned into a reward when he started for them this season. So then it's even crazier that they trade him with a S83 6th to Houston, and somehow get even more value. The Reapers get Red Gaming @Lilpfigher, another goalie who was in high 80s and now is approaching 120 tpe. He will most likely be their starter next year, and they got two good picks with him too.

Trade Grades:

5th: B-. Very basic trade. Philly still wins because two picks are better than one.

5th again: A. Got insane value from that 6th they got back.

Jarvinen: C+. Originally this trade was an A from me but then looking at how amazing Jarvinen has been this season it's rough to not get a 1st back for him.

image.png.620cd44cda429878701da1c42b148596.png

Moving back over to the returns of the Hogan/Glade V trade, the S82 YUK 1st turned a very nice profit for the Reapers. In a 3 team deal the 1st and a S83 3rd turned into a S82 Saskatoon 1st and a S81 4th. With that fourth the Reapers drafted Adora Happysmile Rainbowfist @AostheGreat. Then after 30 games of production, Rainbowfist was traded in another 3 team deal that saw the Reapers pay barely anything to get Cole Pearce @N0HBDY, who was the number 1 overall pick in S81 and a 200 tpe goaltender.

Trade Grades:

1st + 3rd: C+. It's decent. Could have probably drafted someone better in the 3rd round but still got value.

Rainbowfist + 5th: A+. Gave up almost nothing and got a start goalie. I'm not even sure how three teams signed off on this. Philadelphia made out like bandits.

image.png.58908497ee9e1e962896f3a41693667f.png

Now if you remember that Yukon 4th from the original Sting Chameleon trade, it's about to cause a lot of chaos. First it gets sent with goalie Ali Des Aves @ViprVipe and a 6th to Houston for a 3rd and a 7th. The third turns into Ipo Kawaii @Thatsurfdude. Kawaii is playing their first season on the team and definitely making an impact. The 7th gets added to one of the most chaotic trades this year, a three team mega deal between Houston, Saskatoon, and Houston. Philly gives back the S83 Houston 4th they got earlier in the deal that sent Juha Jarvinen to Houston, along with Fredric Salo @Infernal(Sorry I spelled your name wrong on the spreadsheet) to Houston. In return Saskatoon sends them a S82 3rd and Houston gives them Jarno Lappi @aksuko, a 5th rounder, and the S82 Yukon 4th rounder right back. Now to talk about the final few trades on the Philly side where we see that 4th and 5th move around.

Trade Grades:

Aves: C+. A good trade. Kawaii is likely to be a star next season but Aves also is looking like a very good goalie for next year.

3 Team Deal: B. Breaking it down, Frederic Salo turns into Jarno Lappi who helps out defense, tpe difference kind of tough there for this year, but next year will be good. A 4th and a 7th becomes a 3rd, 4th, and 5th. That's pretty even.

image.png.9f45f3ecf1aa36948d71bf60b5a94c4d.png

Now going back down the other branch to see where lolo ended up. They got flipped for a 6th after the draft and then that 6th got put in a pretty big recent trade. This trade sees Kyou Fujibayashi @Azorochi, Robbie Robbie @Robbie the Robbie, the 5th they got in the 3 team deal, and that Miami 6th for Rusty Cannon @Advantage, a very high tpe defenseman. Both players from Philly are under 90 tpe so this deal actually looks pretty good for Philly, who really didn't need to pay that much.

Trade Grade: A. Gave up very little for the great defenseman they got back.

image.png.2bc7043d84ae78adfccb507f578553d3.png

Now for Philly's final trade (so far) we have the S82 YUK 4th back again for more chaos. It's joined by Drew Essen @Drew Essen (drafted with the 7th that Philly acquired in the trade that also got them Juha Jarvinen), and a S83 1st and 4th. For all these assets the Reapers get a ton of value in Alexsei Volchenko @Austin2997 and the big piece Nagy Al @bigAL. Al is the best he can be and because Philly gave up a first that evens the trade out.

Trade Grade: B. An extremely even trade, you can't say Philly won it but they definitely got their money's worth.

image.png.6b761ad8a6f9a5678d1f8f299361cfbb.png

I spoke too soon. Alex decided to not only make a deadline deal but to make sure it extended the trade tree to torture me. Definitely his words and not mine. Anyways this trade sees the recently acquired Volchenko joined by Sean Murphy @Abraham Lincoln and a S83 1st rounder, and Philly gets Weenuk Warrior and a conditional S83 4th. The condition for that pick to go through is Alexsei Volchenko has to update every week for the rest of the season.

Trade Grade: B-. It's a good deadline rental with a pretty steep price to pay for a player who will play like 20 games for the team.

Final Philly Statistics:

From the trade the Philadelphia Reapers had 20 players play a total of 807 games for them, the skaters scored 221 goals and 609 points. Goalies put up an average save percentage of 0.894 in 44 games played and have 21 wins. Some of the players on the team also helped for a playoff run and they got a total of 32 games played with 14 points. Amazing amount of games played for the team and a decent amount of points, though the goalies have struggled a bit.

Part 2 Here: https://vhlforum.com/topic/113733-phi-hou-s79-donny-carter-trade-tree-part-2/

Word Count: 2024

For Weeks Of: 12/26, 1/2, 1/9, 1/16

Edited by TheNeonShaman

Review

I like the fact that you covered the entire trade from the Philly side and described the entire photo of the trade, you also showed each piece of the trade rather than just skimming over some parts. You also tried your best to show each part of the trade with the spreadsheet which you created. It’s also very well organized where you described each part without hesitation. My least favorite part (and trust me this was very hard to find) was the ease to read just the main points in such a huge articles so in the future, I suggest you don’t bold the entire thing and just some important points. Other than that the article was nearly flawless. 9/10