Just Another Appreciation Post... Totally Nothing Special About It At All....

This league has been one of the best communities I’ve ever found. When I was bored during the pandemic and watched an NHL21 video, the ad for the VHL had me curious. Since then, I’ve been around this community for almost 2 years, joining in Season 74. The friends I’ve made along the way have been fantastic. I’m genuinely thankful for finding this league. On top of that, I was given the Elmebeck trophy for being an outstanding member. That was one of the most special awards I’ve ever received. To think the community thought that highly of me was just incredible.

Now to show my appreciation to everyone. It seems that everyone is making a list. I think I’ll copy that style but do my personal stuff instead. First things first, everyone who has mentioned me in their appreciation posts. I am truly honored to be the fantasy zone person. It has been a lot of fun and it keeps me on my toes and gives me a new skillset. When I first started I barely knew anything about Excel / Sheets. Now I can bang out a formula and do forms with no problem. A big thank you to @Spartanfor helping me with the bracket challenge. A true hero of my Fantasy Zone career.

To my first GM, @DMaximus , I appreciate you being the only person actually to offer a contract to me. You created that initial spark that grew into me being an active member and doing all of my point tasks. You made the league fun and exciting until the final sims. Hell, you were the first to congratulate me on being drafted and getting the GM position. You were my first mentor and I’m so happy we got to work together!

@hylandsand @rory . The dynamic duo. You guys made Season 75 a blast. You kept me motivated and excited for the playoffs. Unfortunately, we came up short and lost in the playoffs but we had our fun. The gifs alone made it fun. Plus we had a great group and a very active discord. It was a blast.

@hedgehog337. You were my first VHL GM. You are definitely unique and made the whole VHL experience interesting. From the highs and lows, my time in Riga was awesome. It just sucks how STHS really screwed us over and didn’t give us that run that our team was built for. I think moving on from the team was best for both of us. I hope we can meet again in the future.

@Banackock. Seattle was a breath of fresh air. You worked so hard to bring me to Seattle. I remember I was out for lunch with my coworkers and you were messaging me about how great it would be. You talked the talk and walked the walk. You talked a big game and not only met those expectations, but you also destroyed them. You brought Lose back into a superstar in one season. It was outstanding and exciting to be in the locker room.

@Laine You gave me my first manager job in the league. To think that the one thing that really sparked your interest was the scouting I did in the ProAm tournament. Thank you for organizing that alongside everyone else. You guys gave me my first shot and gave me a chance to prove myself. I worked very hard with you to get the Minnesota squad a true contender each season I was there. Your advice and help got me to my first GM job too.

@McWolf and @diamond_ace . Thank you for believing in me and giving me a job as a VHLM GM. You saw all the hard work I was putting in with the waivers and attempting to retain everyone. You saw a motivated individual who wanted to make the league a better place. You saw a first-generation player grow from a loner to someone who was taking the role very seriously. Getting the GM position in Mexico City was a true honor for the great history but also for being an alumnus too. Trying to get back to that cup while helping players was a blast. 

@Moon and @Vice. You guys were my AGMs. You two each had your own skills and brought unique stuff to me. Vice, although brief you were a great person to be around. You really spiced up the discord and our waiver pitch. You brought fresh ideas and I’m grateful for that. Moon, my project :P. You were the first guy I knew that was going to be my AGM. From the trial run in the junior tournament to the announcement. I saw a lot of potential in you and you definitely proved that. You far exceeded all of my expectations. Keep up the great work.

To all the VHLM GMs, this was one of the best groups I’ve been around. The memes were spicy! I always appreciated the chats and bsing around during the season. It made the GMing job a lot less stressful. Plus the trade chats were always fun although intimidating. I still think I can do a synopsis of all the other toy story movies in the chat.

@Baby Boomer and @FrostBeard. Thank you for the introduction to the VHLE. While it was a shaky start in FA, I think I found a fun team with Rome. While we weren’t the best, it was fun to be around some of the old players from the team. Being the only D on the team was rough though. And Frost, thank you for making me a deadline deal. I hope I am worth every penny you spent on me.

To anyone who I might have forgotten. I’m sorry I couldn’t list you all. I’m horrible at remembering names. I appreciate everyone who supported me. Everyone has been very kind and supportive of me and I’m floored by the love.

This is where I switch it up. Mexico City only has 2 games remaining on the schedule. We aren’t making the playoffs and we clinched the worst record. Those last 2 games are going to be emotional and exciting for me. Why? Well, it’s going to be my last 2 games as the GM of the Mexico City Kings. Let me explain myself and how I came to this.

When I was first hired for the position, I was working from home with a dead-end job on my computer for 15+ hours a day. I would have the forum on my second monitor while I was working and did waiver pitches when they arrived. Things changed though. I went out bowling more often. I joined a bowling league too. Time went by and I switched to an IT position at the same company I worked for. This meant I had to go back to the office. I met a new friend online from NYC who bowled near me and invited me to join his league. That’s 2 bowling leagues now. My time with VHL slowly went down and down. It came to the point where I was bowling in 3 leagues and had so much work to do that I came home exhausted. I even forgot to claim welfare when I couldn’t think of media spots. I really had to think about my future as a GM. When this season started and I had a small selection of picks, I knew I couldn’t do it anymore. Not because I gave up on the league, it was just I needed to rely on waivers and I didn’t have the time for it anymore. Finding an AGM was also a tough task in the first place. Fun fact, when I chose Vice I just picked him because he was online at the time. Of course, I had candidates lined up but that was the final condition (Yes I know I’m horrible at decision making). I also couldn’t help new players out like I used to. I’ve watched people be motivated when they first joined and then go inactive the next week. It takes a large toll on you mentally. You think you did your job when they joined only to lose interest fast. I approached MC and DA about this decision too. I told them that it wasn’t fair to have a GM who isn’t motivated like when I first joined the GM role. For that reason, I’m walking away from the GM position. Is this the end of my GMing career? Not really. I’d love to do some more in the future when I get things settled and figured out. Don’t worry, fantasy zone isn’t going anywhere. I’m keeping that training rolling until I leave the VHL.

So there you have it. A heartfelt thank you to everyone who has supported me and a heartfelt announcement. I’m very thankful for this amazing league and the community around it. I hope I didn’t disappoint anyone during my tenure as GM. If I did, I’m so sorry. I wish I could have done more.

@Beketov, does that mean I can trade my 7th now?

1500+ words / claiming 3 weeks

Claiming 3 weeks 😎

I enjoy your peronallity dude and know exactly why you wanted to be a GM and I'm glad you did because in the short (or long xD) time you accomplished a lot and fast, winning isn't everything and you showed that through and through, beating us in the playoffs will forever be burned into my head.. Or should I say sweep (just sounds better the other way ;)) Anyway appreciate the effort on waivers and grinding it out like the rest of us without complaining :)

16 minutes ago, youloser1337 said:

When I first started I barely knew anything about Excel / Sheets. Now I can bang out a formula and do forms with no problem. A big thank you to @Spartanfor helping me with the bracket challenge. A true hero of my Fantasy Zone career.

I'm putting this on my LinkedIn as an endorsement!

For real though, I'm glad you found it helpful and I'm even more thrilled that you leaned into the nerd shit that I enjoy a lot. You've done a great job as Fantasy Zone manager, and as a VHLM GM as well. 🍻

3 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'm putting this on my LinkedIn as an endorsement!

For real though, I'm glad you found it helpful and I'm even more thrilled that you leaned into the nerd shit that I enjoy a lot. You've done a great job as Fantasy Zone manager, and as a VHLM GM as well. 🍻

I kinda understand your formulas now.... sorta lol

Thank you for the kind words.

12 minutes ago, Zack said:

Claiming 3 weeks 😎

I enjoy your peronallity dude and know exactly why you wanted to be a GM and I'm glad you did because in the short (or long xD) time you accomplished a lot and fast, winning isn't everything and you showed that through and through, beating us in the playoffs will forever be burned into my head.. Or should I say sweep (just sounds better the other way ;)) Anyway appreciate the effort on waivers and grinding it out like the rest of us without complaining :)

❤️ 

2 hours ago, youloser1337 said:

. Moon, my project :P. You were the first guy I knew that was going to be my AGM. From the trial run in the junior tournament to the announcement. I saw a lot of potential in you and you definitely proved that. You far exceeded all of my expectations. Keep up the great work.

Man I dont think I can ever repay you for everything you have taught me. I will miss seeing you GM Mexico :( you did incredible work there! Congrats on everything Justin. ❤️

You were a great successor to my days as a first gen with @Motzaburger and @hylands. Massive footsteps on massive footsteps on massive footsteps in Mexico City. I knew we found a gem with you, I think we purged the GM chat where we talked about you though, I'd love to re-live those messages :( 

@youloser1337 I know we  have only started our journey here but I can tell you one thing - you are a great person and it is awesome to have you around! We will prove that you are a right fit here in Bratislava! Cheers comrade, I hope to get to know you a bit better through all of this ;)

19 hours ago, youloser1337 said:

Of course, I had candidates lined up but that was the final condition (Yes I know I’m horrible at decision making)

Even if I lowkey get called a horrible decision, I still enjoyed the time I spent with you and the things that you taught me about GMing a VHLM team. I hate that my work schedule picked up as much as it did, but hopefully it dies down later in the year like it did last year so that I can spend more time on it.

Thanks for your help with everything and thank you for your time as GM!

1 minute ago, Vice said:

Even if I lowkey get called a horrible decision, I still enjoyed the time I spent with you and the things that you taught me about GMing a VHLM team. I hate that my work schedule picked up as much as it did, but hopefully it dies down later in the year like it did last year so that I can spend more time on it.

Thanks for your help with everything and thank you for your time as GM!

Please know I didn't call you a horrible decision. I'm just saying I'm horrible at making the decisions lol. You were a great AGM. You really brought a lot of things to the table and I was gutted when you had to leave.