Better Late Than Never: The Stepping Down Post

McWolf

Hey everyone. First of all, let me start this post by apologizing to everyone that has been affected by my inactivity this past season. I never meant for it to go down this way. VHLM GMs were left with only half of a commissioner team for pretty much a full season. But oh well, what's done is done, and I'm very happy with the replacements the blues have found for @diamond_ace and I. Hit me up if you need anything, @Gustav and @Spartan. I'm sure you'll do a much better job than I did during my tenure.

So yeah, there are multiple reasons for me asking the blues to find a new commish to replace last offseason. I've been feeling burnt out with sim leagues for a bit now. Every minute spend on this forum or on our Discord server, answering to constant DMs from GMs and players started to feel more like a chore than it used to. I had simply lost my passion for this league that I grew to love over the couple years. I tried to re-ignite a fire under my ass by stepping down from GMing the London United, thinking it would give me more time to focus on the commissioner gig. But in the end, all it did was give me a chance to breath and see what it was like for me to spend less time here, and more time doing really any other thing, particularly with my loved ones. It quickly sank in that I didn't have it in me to be as active as I used to be, that I needed a lengthy break from it all.

On top of that, at the time of stepping down, one full season ago, my girlfriend was about 7 months pregnant with our first child and she needed me more than ever. If you do the math right, well yes, that puts us right past 9 months at this moment, and yes, she delivered a healthy baby on August 20. It wasn't an easy delivery for either of us, well, it was mostly hard for my strong and beautiful girlfriend, I was just there feeling absolutely useless. But let's just say that moving forward, I'm not gonna have as much free time as I used to. I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure the two loves of my life have everything they need.

So this two-month sabbatical I've been on is gonna be a little bit lengthier. I'm not promising I'm coming back for sure, and if I do, I'm certainly not applying to become a GM or commissioner ever again, but I'm also not saying I'm never coming back as a player.

I don't plan on going on the usual "naming everyone I liked talking to" route that people commonly do when they leave long term. Because my memory is hazy and I'm sure I'll forget some people and they'll be mad at me. So let me just say:

Thanks everyone I interacted with over the past four years. It's been a blessing meeting all of you. It's been interesting talking about sim leagues, music, gaming, actual sports. It's been frustrating talking trades or contracts with a bunch of you, but it's been fun regardless, and I wish you all the best moving forward. Keep making the VHL such an inclusive community for everyone that has that sports-meets-DnD itch they didn't even know they had. Take care y'all, and tell people close to you that you love them dearly.

Ce n'est qu'un au revoir, les amis.

McWolf signing off.

3 minutes ago, Ricer13 said:

Congratulations Wolf! Hope everyone is healthy and happy. Enjoy this time away with your family.

Yeah, the first couple days in the hospital were rough, but everyone is healthy and back home now 💕

13 minutes ago, McWolf said:

Thanks everyone I interacted with over the past four years. It's been a blessing meeting all of you. It's been interesting talking about sim leagues, music, gaming, actual sports. It's been frustrating talking trades or contracts with a bunch of you, but it's been fun regardless, and I wish you all the best moving forward. Keep making the VHL such an inclusive community for everyone that has that sports-meets-DnD itch they didn't even know they had. Take care y'all, and tell people close to you that you love them dearly.

I'll never forget all the memories we created together between Halifax, NJ Bombers in the SBDL, my fumbling activity levels in the ECFA with your team and most importantly, just our mutual friendship over the years. I know we don't speak as often anymore but you've forever gotten a friend in me. Congratulations McWolf. I wish you and your family nothing but the best.

2 minutes ago, fonziGG said:

I'll never forget all the memories we created together between Halifax, NJ Bombers in the SBDL, my fumbling activity levels in the ECFA with your team and most importantly, just our mutual friendship over the years. I know we don't speak as often anymore but you've forever gotten a friend in me. Congratulations McWolf. I wish you and your family nothing but the best.

NJ BOOMERS FOR LIFE

2 hours ago, BarzalGoat said:

Congrats on the retirement and the newborn! I know if you named everyone you would've put me first, but I hope you come back with whatever levels of activity you actually enjoy :)

You know it, just don't tell the others, cause I'm telling everyone they'd be first

Congrats on all that's good and I'm glad to hear you're making the right choice for yourself! I'm not sure how exactly we first actually got to know each other since I'm not sure we ever played together at that point (maybe in Malmo? I think that came along later though)...but I've always enjoyed talking to you and I'm sad that the league is losing a Porcupine Tree enjoyer.

See you around (hopefully) and good luck with everything!