AI and Point Tasks

v.2

@Members

As you may have noticed from the TPE bans that have been handed out recently, AI use in point tasks is becoming a bit of an issue. I would just like to remind you all that using these tools in an attempt to earn TPE is against the VHL Code of Conduct, as stated below:

1.2 Cheating

Cheating will not be tolerated. There are various forms of cheating in the league, the punishment for which is determined by the severity of the violation.

Plagiarism is considered cheating. All point tasks to be claimed for TPE, including but not limited to, graphics, article posts, and podcasts must be original content. This includes the use of AI assistance

Our lovely crew of updaters will also be taking this matter more seriously, and will begin to use detection tools before approving submissions.  This goes for both AI generated media spot content AND graphics.

Thank you all for understanding, I know AI tech is moving at an exponential rate and is an amazing resource, however maintaining the integrity of the league and an even playing field for all members is paramount.

50 minutes ago, v.2 said:

@Members

As you may have noticed from the TPE bans that have been handed out recently, AI use in point tasks is becoming a bit of an issue. I would just like to remind you all that using these tools in an attempt to earn TPE is against the VHL Code of Conduct, as stated below:

Our lovely crew of updaters will also be taking this matter more seriously, and will begin to use detection tools before approving submissions.  This goes for both AI generated media spot content AND graphics.

Thank you all for understanding, I know AI tech is moving at an exponential rate and is an amazing resource, however maintaining the integrity of the league and an even playing field for all members is paramount.

What if a generic hockey player is generated using AI and then the jersey swap is done along with the background changes, text and overlays people do on typical graphics?

1 minute ago, Triller said:

What if a generic hockey player is generated using AI and then the jersey swap is done along with the background changes, text and overlays people do on typical graphics?

I think the art style difference is significant enough. Like if you told an ai to use the Davos logo I think it’d have some noticeable defects to it. Imo if you wanna go that route instead of finding a random photo to use, go for it

1 minute ago, N0HBDY said:

I think the art style difference is significant enough. Like if you told an ai to use the Davos logo I think it’d have some noticeable defects to it. Imo if you wanna go that route instead of finding a random photo to use, go for it

No no, you don't tell it to use any logo, you generate a generic hockey player, on green screen to make it easier to cut out then you add your team logo and all the additional changes that a common sig on the forum does.  Wondering if they've considered that.

7 minutes ago, comrade cat said:

But isn't there already tools to avoid detection from ai tools? schools are having same problems with this and students are figuring out websites to make it look more real

It’ll always be an endless battle

1 hour ago, v.2 said:

@Members

Another question, will the detection tools flag images that are upscaled using AI?  I use upscaling tools frequently and some will recognize and slightly alter faces to generate a clearer image.

2 minutes ago, Triller said:

Another question, will the detection tools flag images that are upscaled using AI?  I use upscaling tools frequently and some will recognize and slightly alter faces to generate a clearer image.

I mean Photoshop has filters which work in the same way but you have to manually adjust to find the right settings that work for the image. So not sure how much different that is. 

2 minutes ago, Triller said:

Not speaking for V.2, but there will never be a tool that can tell us that something is clearly based on AI or just a tool used for something smaller. I think we can always have these individual conversations on a person by person basis, but we can always investigate the graphics makers and ask them to send us raw files or original graphics to prove their individual efforts. There's no clear cut answer here and it'll be based on updater judgment to reach out and investigate.

1 minute ago, Spartan said:

Not speaking for V.2, but there will never be a tool that can tell us that something is clearly based on AI or just a tool used for something smaller. I think we can always have these individual conversations on a person by person basis, but we can always investigate the graphics makers and ask them to send us raw files or original graphics to prove their individual efforts. There's no clear cut answer here and it'll be based on updater judgment to reach out and investigate.

As long as they dig deeper than using a surface detection tool it should be fine.  Gonna have to start archiving my Photoshop files instead of deleting them to save space.  Might have to show receipts.

4 minutes ago, Frank said:

I mean Photoshop has filters which work in the same way but you have to manually adjust to find the right settings that work for the image. So not sure how much different that is. 

Basic photoshop filters generally don't use AI.  You can even create your own filters for quicker use.  They definitely are using AI for other aspects in the software though I haven't had much use for any of that yet.  It is getting crazy though and I'm all for it!  I can't wait for 3D objects that you can generate and download.

Just now, Triller said:

Basic photoshop filters generally don't use AI.  You can even create your own filters for quicker use.  They definitely are using AI for other aspects in the software though I haven't had much use for any of that yet.  It is getting crazy though and I'm all for it!  I can't wait for 3D objects that you can generate and download.

My version is from like 2012 so I wouldn't know. 🥲

45 minutes ago, Triller said:

As long as they dig deeper than using a surface detection tool it should be fine.  Gonna have to start archiving my Photoshop files instead of deleting them to save space.  Might have to show receipts.

I mean we can only use free web tools unless the league wants to invest in a forum add-on. But yes, I imagine the burden will likely fall onto the graphic maker to supply proof.