VSN Presents: Sjin's Locomotive - The Cologne Express

IMG_1987.png?ex=66d660ab&is=66d50f2b&hm=

@Ricer13

It’s hard to put greatness into words. But people? Imagine putting greatness into a person. And doing that time and time again. Sjin, the longest running VHLE GM has done exactly that. On a season to season basis he brings back players from inactivity, wins games, and builds teams with an unrivaled passion for the VHL. More importantly, a passion for its people. 

This passion has been translated into 4 Renaissance Cups within the span of 6 seasons. This includes 17 total awards for both the team and individuals all related to the Cologne Express organization. The dominance of Cologne begins after their first cup win in S87, and we will take a trip to discover the track Sjin laid to steamroll his way into VHLE dominance.

For the sake of this article we will be taking a look at the three-peat that took place the moment Sjin took over the team in S89. You’ll get the inside scoop as to how exactly the team was built, the key trades that took place to establish the team, and what future VHLE hall of fame players look like. 

I would like to extend a moment of gratitude directly to Sjin. And a resounding and grateful thank you. Sjin, you truly are the best conductor in the VHLE. You welcome all those that join your roster, even for one game or entire careers. It’s symbolic that the team you inherited is a train. Much like a train, many passengers enter this team with different destinations, backgrounds, and perspectives. You built the framework for a great place for people to stay for the ride as long as possible or platform from one team to the next. It’s safe, welcoming, and a pillar of the VHL community.

S89 Retrack

Sjin took over in S89 in a comfortable position with one goal in mind. Rebuild and modernize the Express. However, sometimes things don’t always go to plan as Cologne was blessed with an opportunity to go for it. 

There’s a certain quality to bring back players from inactivity and the value that provides. Many of the players on the S89 roster were pending free agents or free agent signings. Two of the top three scorers for Cologne - Cameron Elsby (D) and Thor Odinson (RW) - were such free agent signings. Both racking up 87 points in the regular season and combining for 12 points in the playoffs that year.

One notable aspect of Sjin’s GM style is the calculated effort of trades. Trading to make notable improvements based on the current outlook of the team. Early free agents and resigns paved the foundation for a trade that would shake the VHLE.

Easily one of the best trades in VHLE history heavily favoring Cologne. Jack Quill (D), would only put up 1 point in his 26 game tenure with the Express before retiring, however, with no +/- differential he was a solid contributor on the ice. Mason Rice (D) would slot alongside Jack Quill in the defensive end getting 6 points and having an equal +/-. However, the real steal of the show was Montgomery Burns (D). A near PPG defenseman both in the regular season and in the playoffs helped solidify Cologne’s front end talent to secure the S89 Renaissance Cup. 

What did the Express give up in return? Brayden Albrecht (C) who put up an incredible 35 points, 18 goals in those remaining 26 games. Alongside 51 hits. Albrecht was a power forward with a lot of promise going into the playoffs. He could be benched after two games, only putting up an assist and having a -3 +/-. James MacAvoy (RW) never played in a Vasteras sweater, another large part of the trade. The 3rd round pick three years later would turn into S93 Continental Cup winner Gustav Mattias (RW).

Cologne would lose one game in their S89 playoff run in the opening battle against Geneva (Game 3) but would outscore Istanbul in the finals 19-10. Certainly both a dominating offensive and defensive showing from the Express. 

S90 Jump Ship, Board Train

You’d think that on paper, Cologne entered S90 as champions. The team to beat. Now I’m going to give you a list of the players that stayed on the roster after the S89 championship, because it’s way shorter than the list of players that left;

- Al Land (RW)
- Reginald the Dodo (D)
- Jarkko Lakkonen (LW)
- Eurydyka Skłodowska Dudzińska (D)

If you don’t know these players I wouldn’t blame you. Everybody from the Express jumped the ship the moment the cup was won. Players either retired, got called straight up to the VHL, or were traded before the season began. The starting S90 roster for the Express had a lottery draft pick written all over it. Sjin would have to make some legendary additions to the roster in order to have a chance in the playoffs. Let me tell you something. When the stars align, they shine brighter than the fuel burning in that good ol’ coal locomotive.

S90 was the year Sjin’s GM player, Sjin (C), was traded to Cologne from Vasteras, and we’ll talk about that trade shortly. He’d put up a casual 86 points. Keegan Gamble (RW) the S89 draft pick from Istanbul’s 2nd round pick established a 79 point campaign and led the team in goal scoring with 38 snipes. The leading scoring defensemen was current two time Renaissance Cup champion and Express alumni Jordan Bennett (D). 47 points would be his lowest scoring season since being drafted by Bratislava 6 seasons prior. 

Firstly I’m going to apologize to Vasteras who keeps catching strays in this article. This trade is definitely a decision that was made. On the Vasteras side, Ben Dover (RW) would never play for Vasteras. Xiver Zilla (C) played in his draft season for Vasteras but again, Vasteras would lose to the Express in the playoffs. 

Cologne acquired Davis McLirath (C) who was an add on that didn’t play for them. Sjin, who we mentioned earlier as the leading goal scorer for Cologne, and finally the 4th that would turn into Eric White Jr (LW). We will talk about Eric next year, just know that he was an established cup winner with San Diego in S89. 

None of these players even compare to the free agent signing that would carry the future of the Express. I’m talking about Express wins leader, shutout leader, 3rd highest career SV%, 3rd lowest GAA (Min 50 GP) and ultimately VHLE Hall of Famer, Clark (G). 

So with a full frontline of fresh skates on the ice, the inaugural VHLE season of a goaltending all-star and draft picks coming into their own to play key depth roles, the Cologne Express would defeat Vasteras in the first round and head into the finals against Rome. 

Rome would take a 3-1 series lead over Cologne, averaging 4 goals a game and averaging 1.33 goals against in the three victories over the Express. However, they fell victim to the worst lead in hockey. It's often said that the game when everything is on the line is the hardest to win, and it proved true here.

I would say, it’s also the easiest to lose. Rome would fall apart allowing 20 goals in their last three matches of the grand finals. A courageous comeback from the underdog Cologne team to propel themselves to a back to back cup win.

S91 Derailed or Detour?

Once again I can not stress enough how unlikely it is for a team in the VHLE to stay dominant in the playoffs for so long. Teams do not stick around for longer than a couple seasons at most, and so GMs have the unique task of taking the bits and pieces they have from the season prior and making the most out of it the following season.

S91 was unique for Cologne in that sense. Al Land and Jordan Bennett stuck around from the championship prior, hungry for another cup win. Clark stayed and wanted to be solid between the pipes. 

Sjin was the recipient of value trades from the past bearing fruit for the present. One such trade made early in S91 was for Anthony Simmons (C). In typical Vasteras fashion, Simmons would lead Cologne in scoring with 79 points, 31 goals. The 4th round selection, William Wallace (RW) would never play for Vasteras.

Of this new age Cologne roster, key contributors Joshua Schwarzer (LW), Lionel Collberg (D), Eric White Jr (LW), Theo Allard (C) would all join the team through the draft and fill the 3rd - 7th top scoring spots on the roster. It was a fresh expression of the Express. Instead of building on top end talent with free agent signings, the draft was used to full effect to fulfill the needs of the rest of the roster.

With the chance of a threepeat on the line, Clark single handedly put the Express on his back, yelled choo choo (I was in the locker room it was quite intense sometimes), and plowed through any and all competition. He started the playoffs with two shutouts against former Renaissance Cup finalists Rome, averaging 1.00 GAA in that series. Our friends Vasteras would solve Cologne in game one of the finals but ultimately it was no match for the defensive prowess and brick wall goaltending of Clark to give Cologne the well deserved threepeat.

Interview

As a former player of Sjins I had unique access to get an interview with his process, motives and thoughts throughout his lengthy career. 

Do you remember when you first took over Cologne, how you were feeling and what your plan was with the team?

Well, rebuild actually. We didn’t have much going into the season but I was very committed. Managed to resign all the players that we had heard nothing from and sign a couple of extra in FA. Once that happened we had a strong team and we just went for it. I had been AGM of a couple of teams but nothing prepares you for your own, you just need to throw yourself into it  and be very committed to the job.

Commitment certainly is one way to describe the strategy you went for in that first season. You made 8 total trades compiling 28 assets that season. Is there a trade you can recall that speaks out to you? Notably 5 of those were with Vasteras.

In S89 would have to be this one. The first time I went in at the deadline.

Is there a particular reason, did you think you won the trade?

We won the cup. James MacAvoy never played for Vasteras. Albrecht was inactive. We got an upgrade for inactive dman getting Jack Quil. Mason Rice and Burns were two very strong forwards and helped a lot in our push for the cup.

Certainly that first season set you up for future success as you’d win three cups in a row (S89-S91). What do you credit the success of the early S90’s to?

Well, I had a great AGM Fradin, and we were really particular on the details. We had close relationships with SDM (San Diego Marlins) and they had a pipeline of talent coming through who Cologne drafted most of them. I was really big on offering build advice and I found getting players to apply TPE effectively made for huge positive differences.

Out of all three of those cup wins was there one team that you were scared of facing off in the playoffs? And did you alter strategies in the lines to accommodate for that?

I found Rome the hardest. And no we never really found a way to counter them directly like the other teams. We just beat them in game 7 so it was very close.

S92 was an incredibly shallow, however important draft and the first time since the start of your tenure that you had access to a 1st round pick. Do you have any takeaways from that draft that stick to you today?

First rounders are overrated 😀. You build through depth. That’s the key.

Depth wasn’t really something you found yourself in the standings though. You’ve been consistently in the top 2 of the VHLE standings during the regular season and are often considered the team to beat. What would you say is the formula when constructing your team. You mentioned through depth, but do you focus on trades, drafts, FA?

I mean I think it’s picking and choosing trades. It’s very easy to get over invested in one trade and overpay, underperform in the postseason and be left without a cup and a lot of rebuilding work for the cost of the season before.

I was about to ask if there was one failure during your tenure that sticks out to you. For as much success and excitement as Cologne has had, there must have been an equal amount of disappointment in other areas as well.

Well, I think losing the first cup really hurt. After winning so much you get used to it. And losing hits that much harder. I think the most recent cup wins has to be one of the best moments other than S89. But I felt I build this team a lot more, though still owe it to Leandro for being present at the drafts for me.

You did win the cup last season, congratulations by the way. Is this the start of another dynasty or are there bigger plans for you?

Hopefully the start of another dynasty. I may step away from Cologne in the near future but I need a strong replacement. I don’t think I’d GM a different team.

And with that being said, is there something you want to share to any future GMs or GM hopefuls in the VHL eager to take a spot along the HoF GM greats such as yourself?

Keep it personal, it’s important to build a relationship with your team and players.

Closing Thoughts

I would like to end this article with a conversation starter. The roles of the VHLM and VHLE are as development leagues, where new players come to explore the awesome world of the VHL and create longing memories with their teammates. I fondly remember McWolf, Thranduil, Laine, Reno, Sjin, Rjfryman, and many others. The rates at which TPE myself and those mentioned above earned were expedited. Our activity shooting through the roof and these special groups splitting up early due to the high turnover nature of fast growing players in the dev leagues. We never had a chance outside of one season to be teammates together, and I would never be teammates with them again. 

This coupled by the fact on a practical level low earning players stay on development teams longer, skews the value proposition of prospects and players in these lower leagues. As someone that’s been heavily inactive, and has been greatly rewarded for doing so with four VHLE championship titles, it’s occurred to me that the ecosystem for the VHLE, VHLM and VHL are vastly different. Maybe this isn’t a problem. What I do know, is that the incentives for these leagues and the quality of these players change massively on a league to league basis. Sjin may be the best GM in the VHLE that understands this. Moreso, understands that the journey is often much more important than the destination.

After all, why take the train, if you can’t enjoy the ride?

Mentions

Edited by Plate

15 hours ago, Sjin said:

What a fantastic article! Wondered when this was coming out. Glad to see you back in the league and looking forward to next season where you'll be playing in the E again, hopefully joining Cologne :)

Hey gotta snag him in this upcoming draft. Also Plate may have the player record for most Renaissance Cups? He had 4 on Bennett. Does anyone have more than that?

32 minutes ago, Pifferfish said:

Plate may have the player record for most Renaissance Cups?

Yes this is a record. Nobody else has 4, it's either 3 or less

9 hours ago, Pifferfish said:

Hey gotta snag him in this upcoming draft. Also Plate may have the player record for most Renaissance Cups? He had 4 on Bennett. Does anyone have more than that?

There's a player that has 3 cups with 1 game played ;D