Alright

Kesler

Alright  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never made a good player, I haven't won a Cup since S12, have never won an individual award outside the VHLM, and yet I still like this place. What the fuck is wrong with me?

I've never made a good player, I haven't won a Cup since S12, have never won an individual award outside the VHLM, and yet I still like this place. What the fuck is wrong with me?

Get a better team then :P

YOU can do what you want lol, not all of us have that freedom

Anyone can do just about whatever they want. I don't think anyone has been banned/suspended in over a calendar year, and since I've been here, I can only remember a total of 6 people "getting in trouble" from the blue team.

Not selling up the league, but SHL does that as well, but there's no cap on benefits from writing elaborate media spots for your player progression. I even wrote a 6000 word bio that I never finished for my player there. I just feel like the incentive to do things here is lower.

You write a 6000 word bio, get a ton of cash, and then not have to do anything for a while. Different systems, different pros and cons.

And about sims. In a perfect world, would we have a more set sim schedule? Sure, that'd be nice, but I don't see it as a necessity. In terms of overall reliability, when a schedule is set, it's followed 95% of the time without delay. We may fall behind a day in simming from time to time, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't see that as a huge deal.

As for why I enjoy the league? I think we have a great group of guys and gals here. The community makes the league, and overall, we have a great member base that truly cares about the league, which can be seen by the people who have multiple jobs here (paid and unpaid), not to mention the whole moving the site after the DDoS thing.  I also think we've evolved to a mature league that can chirp each other but also know how not to cross the line and make it personal. With activity, the middle of the season can have a little bit of the doldrums, but the playoffs and off-season are almost always pretty active. As I've said to a couple of other members here, I think chat is both a blessing and a curse. The vast majority of my communication with people on this site is through chat, which doesn't show up as activity around the boards. If you're on VHL and bored, just chat someone. Doesn't matter if you've been here for 42 seasons or 1 season, if you're 16 or 30, we have a great community here and there's always someone to talk to.

One of my main issues with the league and why I've struggled to stay active in the past is how boring it is to update your players. There are barely any attributes to update and every player you make will be built more or less the same, give or take ~30 points in an attribute or two. This is actually what draws me to the SBA so much, there are 17 different attributes and you can have some real variance on how you build your guy.

Having said that, The VHL is the first sim league I've ever actually been successful in. I've made some friendships in this league that I consider very real, and I've developed a skill in graphic making that I would not have whatsoever if not for this league. How well run the league is and the awesome community are what bring me on here every day.

Yeah this is one of the reasons why I like the VHL, on the SHL if you tell someone to fuck off or something like that you will more than likely get a suspension and on here its like whatever, as well as I feel the quality of members on here is really good. I dont know I feel like the SHl has more quatity but doesnt really ahve the quality, thats why I like it here more.

But no this is not a comparison of the two leagues cause god I hate those, just saying why it might be more enjoyable here then their or vice versa.

I've told lots of people to fuck off. Even Spangs, who used to have the power to suspend me.

I enjoy it because my player is on a good team and puts up good stats (unlike SHL  <_< ).

If I was on a mediocre team and put up ~50 pts per season I probably wouldn't be bothered to come here frequently.

<_<

• Admin

Obviously yes.

Now I'm using my player off time to give the SHL another go and wtf is the hype about? It's not bad but where's this enormous activity people are talking about when they're chatting shit on VHL? It takes me just as long to surf the SHL as it does the VHL. SHL people here are like, you have no OT chat, well shit, you've got nothing good going on in that forum either. Considering the difference in members who log in every day (90 vs 200), there isn't double the activity. I dunno what people do, but they sure as hell aren't posting shit loads.

I never argued against this before as I wasn't active in the SHL so when I did log in, there was lots to catch up to, obviously. Just like when I was less active here. But now that I've experienced it, eh, overrated. Activity is just an excuse some people use it seems because they are comfortable in their little cliques and don't have them in the VHL.

I picked yes as well.

I enjoy writing my media spots about my player and I also enjoy grading the different articles and learning about what other people are doing with their players. There's also the podcasts that I grade most of the time as well.

I definitely have felt the impact like Chevy has, since I'm a member of his team as well. Our LR is basically just me and him and it has been for basically the whole season with certain guys coming in here and there. You'd think maybe that with a Victory Cup winning team that's about to get into the 2nd Round against NY, there would be more excitement. There was more excitement last season even.

Hell, in my final season in Calgary there was more activity in that LR, but that was definitely helped out by Dooms with Thomas Landry.

I don't really get the activity level either in relating VHL to the SHL. The only placed I've noticed a big activity boost is in my SHL LR with the Calgary Dragons, and I'm just a recent acquisition there. In my SMJHL LR with Regina, it was a little dead at times. In my Calgary DR there's a bunch of guys from the VHL as well.

For the written articles over there, sure you can write as much as you want. I don't feel the incentive too though because there's still a cap on it all. You can't really spend much of the cash you make from writing articles, as you'll have to space it all out over weeks.

I much prefer it over here, especially the website layout.

I like it just on the basis that I can put effort into the league safe in the knowledge that the league's not closing down anytime soon, unlike every football league made since 2011. 

I haven't been updated in the SHL for over 3 weeks now. :(

And I love the chat bar here - always easy to use if you are looking for a quick answer to something.

Any DollarAndADream - LR activity is all dependent on who is in there. For example - if you are in there with the likes of a Kendrick, a Victor, an eaglesfan, or a me - the LR will never ever be a boring place. I'm big on promoting LR activity. I would hope that everyone who I've ever played with agrees with me on this. 

I love the community here, I love the layout, and I love the Podcasts I do - but I agree with muffins and have been saying this since S29: We need to change the update scale - all the active players just end up getting 99s in everything - too easy to get to 99. Unfortunately, even when I was on the BoG, my arguments basically fell on deaf ears. 

Edited by Phil

Any DollarAndADream - LR activity is all dependent on who is in there. For example - if you are in there with the likes of a Kendrick, a Victor, an eaglesfan, or a me - the LR will never ever be a boring place. I'm big on promoting LR activity. I would hope that everyone who I've ever played with agrees with me on this. 

I am the same, I try to make the LR not a boring place but when you only have one or two other guys it is pretty shitty. I guess I have just been unfortunate to acquire players that just get on and do welfare then get off and do not make any posts in the locker room.

Here I feel like I have to have a job to stay on top of everything all the time. Back when I had Johanson I was the VHL mag cover artist (around edition 100-125 or something) and that really kept me active until I couldn't handle two leagues. On SHL I feel like I can be active even without a job because there is always something drawing me back in (not sure what exactly that it is).

Also my VHLM LR over here has 3 pages this season, while my SMJHL team I GM over on the SHL has 200 pages. I feel like the help that is given to new guys over here is superior in every way, while getting new guys into the activity of the league, and getting them to enjoy posting and feeling comfortable to go out there and talk to guys is better on the SHL. Just my two cents