Is the Season 40 Draft Class the best ever?

Now I'm still pretty new here. But with Dollarandadream's (Cole world!) article looking at the Season 40 draft class, one has to at least rank it as one of the top the league has ever seen. Clearly, the class had depth. Second round picks are not only performing throughout the league but are key players for competitive teams. Not even four seasons removed from the draft, only two players taken in the first round have not reached 500 TPE - defensemen Vladmimir Komarov and Joshua Rubin, both of whom are approaching 400. And then we have the top five. Thomas O'Malley and Mason Richardson are making everyone look bad as they are about the biggest TPE whores you could even find as both have recently eclipsed 900 TPE. 900! And we aren't even 4 seasons removed from the draft. And then Sachimo Zoidberg and Jerrick Poole just crossed the 700 TPE threshold while Tyler Cote is just weeks away from doing the same. So not even four seasons removed from the draft, we have 4 players who are already at 700 TPE.

I don't really know what people consider to be the best draft ever but Season 27 and 18 seem to be other ones thrown around. It's hard to compare with the board changes and it would involve far too much effort than it's worth for a measly VHL.com article but the level of talent out of the Season 40 draft is quite striking, especially compared to previous drafts. For example, the Season 39 Draft still has no 700 TPE earners while the Season 38 Draft only has two, half that of the Season 40 Draft class despite a two season advantage. So maybe someone has compiled this info or could - all I know is it's not worth 2 TPE (thank you player store) but the Season 40 Draft has been damn impressive. It's perfectly reasonable to say we'll see five 1000 TPE earners. Pretty incredible but one has to wonder - is it simply the mark of a great draft class, a product of TPE inflation, or a combination of both?

S40 is definitely great.  S27 is consistently overrated.  It was a good class with some big names, but after the first round only a couple players had an impact in the VHL (Muller, Lynch, Wolfe).

S33 was pretty good but suffers from some of the first round not turning out like they should have (Tomas Valiq, GIYGAS and Weber).

S18 is hard to argue against though.

1st Round: 4 Hall of Famers (Kanou, Hakkinen, Brekker and Saeijs).  I can also tell you Nydroj and Scarlett were on the HOF Ballot in the past.

2nd Round: 1 Hall of Famer (Shaw).  Angelo was a 1st pairing defender and some other solid depth players.

3rd Round: Andreev, Chouinard, Clarence and Volkov all had good to great impacts.  Chouinard was on the HOF Ballot at one point...some think Clarence is a grossly underrated goalie who played in a tough era.  The other two had pretty solid careers as good pieces for good teams.

S40 is definitely great. S27 is consistently overrated. It was a good class with some big names, but after the first round only a couple players had an impact in the VHL (Muller, Lynch, Wolfe).

S33 was pretty good but suffers from some of the first round not turning out like they should have (Tomas Valiq, GIYGAS and Weber).

S18 is hard to argue against though.

1st Round: 4 Hall of Famers (Kanou, Hakkinen, Brekker and Saeijs). I can also tell you Nydroj and Scarlett were on the HOF Ballot in the past.

2nd Round: 1 Hall of Famer (Shaw). Angelo was a 1st pairing defender and some other solid depth players.

3rd Round: Andreev, Chouinard, Clarence and Volkov all had good to great impacts. Chouinard was on the HOF Ballot at one point...some think Clarence is a grossly underrated goalie who played in a tough era. The other two had pretty solid careers as good pieces for good teams.

Correction: Everyone thinks Clarence is a grossly underrated goalie who played in a tough era. :P

But honestly, if Kjeldsen was also in the draft rather than going straight to Helsinki, I think there'd be little argument for any other draft. Were there any other GM players created for S18? I can't remember...

Edited by .sniffuM

Correction: Everyone thinks Clarence is a grossly underrated goalie who played in a tough era. :P

But honestly, if Kjeldsen was also in the draft rather than going straight to Helsinki, I think there'd be little argument for any other draft. Were there any other GM players created for S18? I can't remember...

Geno Esposito and Dante Terragni.

Not really lol I'm top 10 Defender scoring, top 10 D hits, and top 15 for SB.

Ya my TPE count isn't great but im on pace to break Davos records and that's one of the oldest franchises in the VHL

But thanks for coming out Gorlab

Not really lol I'm top 10 Defender scoring, top 10 D hits, and top 15 for SB.

Ya my TPE count isn't great but im on pace to break Davos records and that's one of the oldest franchises in the VHL

But thanks for coming out Gorlab

Not really?

Do you realize who you're talking to???