How to

Kesler

Make your computer faster?

I have found in the last month or so that my computer has been slowing down, its only like 6 months old and does not have that much stuff on it and all I really do is watch videos and download the odd album on it. Think it could just be Windows 8? Or maybe the computer itself is slow? I dont know it was really fast when I got and has slowed down considerably.

If anyone could help or explain why it is "slow" now that would be great.

• Senior Admin

run a disk cleanup and a defragmentation of your hard drive

also may want to run a virus scan, and if you want you can download the free version of this:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

basically just deletes old cookies and other auto-generated files that build up and take up space 

Okay literally right before I posted this I deleted all my downloads (like 20 albums) and shut my computer off for the first time in a month or so and now its goten quicker and takes way less time to load. WTF lol.

Does shutting it off really effect the speed? The reason why I dont is because the precision touch pad is new so it has a bug where if you keep shutting it off daily its unresponsive for a while.

Okay literally right before I posted this I deleted all my downloads (like 20 albums) and shut my computer off for the first time in a month or so and now its goten quicker and takes way less time to load. WTF lol.

Does shutting it off really effect the speed? The reason why I dont is because the precision touch pad is new so it has a bug where if you keep shutting it off daily its unresponsive for a while.

Oh. My. Goodness. You just deleted 20 download albums and then shut your computer off. Now you think it's faster because you shut the computer off? Wow.

• Commissioner

Shutting down every once in awhile should clean the cache up which helps pretty considerably. Cleaning the harddrive up (on windows especially) doesn’t hurt either because the more full it is the slower it will run.

In general though, what do you mean exactly when you say it’s slow? Do you mean sites load slow? Or programs open slow? Or the keyboard / trackpad responds slow? There’s a lot of different reasons depending on the kind of slow.

Also, more details about the computer would help. What kind of processor, how much RAM, what you’re doing when it slows down, etc.

Shutting down every once in awhile should clean the cache up which helps pretty considerably. Cleaning the harddrive up (on windows especially) doesn’t hurt either because the more full it is the slower it will run.

In general though, what do you mean exactly when you say it’s slow? Do you mean sites load slow? Or programs open slow? Or the keyboard / trackpad responds slow? There’s a lot of different reasons depending on the kind of slow.

Also, more details about the computer would help. What kind of processor, how much RAM, what you’re doing when it slows down, etc.

Opening files, like opening up documents/downloads. Also the search bar for windows 8 takes awhile. Sites are fine and precision pad is just new so it has bugs (from what I have read) .

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspire-e11 

Thats it, has 4gb of ram and for the processor it just says "intel inside" so I am not sure what it is.Some models have pentium but idk if mine does.

Make your computer faster?

I have found in the last month or so that my computer has been slowing down, its only like 6 months old and does not have that much stuff on it and all I really do is watch videos and download the odd album on it. Think it could just be Windows 8? Or maybe the computer itself is slow? I dont know it was really fast when I got and has slowed down considerably.

If anyone could help or explain why it is "slow" now that would be great.

This is the greatest post I've seen on here in a while.

• Commissioner

Opening files, like opening up documents/downloads. Also the search bar for windows 8 takes awhile. Sites are fine and precision pad is just new so it has bugs (from what I have read) .

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspire-e11

Thats it, has 4gb of ram and for the processor it just says "intel inside" so I am not sure what it is.Some models have pentium but idk if mine does.

That link is a 404 do I guess your computer doesn't exist? Knowing Acer though, it's main problem is likely cheap parts as they are awful for that.

More RAM doesn't usually hurt but I don't know how much Windows 8 likes to have. I've been out of the PC side for awhile so I'm a bit rusty in regards to it.

I don't know if I'm crazy or something, but I feel like you should shut your computer of every time you're done using it. Just for general health reasons, especially if it's an Acer. Your poor fan won't last, especially because it's an Acer.

I don't know if I'm crazy or something, but I feel like you should shut your computer of every time you're done using it. Just for general health reasons, especially if it's an Acer. Your poor fan won't last, especially because it's an Acer.

It has no fan.

Malewarebytes Antimaleware free version works wonders

could you link me?