Draper; He Rigs

Devise

I'm sort of joking, but sort of not. Ever since Draper took over simming duties, I always felt that his sims seemed stranger on the surface. This isn't a blanket accusation, or even an accusation of any kind. Any evidence I have could easily be considered coincidental, especially since Draper is a quality GM and his team is good. While the statistics I dug up is only from this season, this is actually something I started semi seriously wondering this since Draper began to take over more simming duties. His sims seemed inconsistent with Jardy's and leaned more towards the success of his teams. They also seemed inconsistent with team results more often based on what we have seen inside of each season. Again this is just on the surface. Either way I was always too lazy to dig up any research. I may go through other seasons of his, just to find out for sure. Here is some research from this season.

In Season 46 regular season and playoffs, Draper has simmed 15 games that Helsinki played in. Helsinki won all but two of them. Riga bested them in Game 109 and the Americans as well in Game 336. Interestingly enough, these wins come against all types of teams. Teams Helsinki should beat, like Seattle or Toronto. And teams that should put up more of a fight, like Calgary, who when Draper simmed they bested 3 times by a combined score of 12-3. In 3 games, Helsinki with a young goalie and Calgary who played two of those games with top goalie candidate Hans Wingate was able to only allow a single goal per game. Now again, this is all pseudo evidence of nothing. Helsinki is the reigning Continental Cup Champions, they are a good team. And Helsinki beat Calgary 3 times more (once in OT) when Jardy simmed. But it isn't just the results of who won and who lost. Calgary scored 3 goals in 3 games against Helsinki. They then scored 13 goals in the remaining 5 games played against them. So they go from averaging barely a goal per game against Helsinki to scoring more than 2 goals per game? Inconsistent much. Inconsistent. That is a great word. Because it is what I have always felt happens when Draper sims versus Jardy. When Jardy sims I always have felt like I have an idea of what could and couldn't happen. Yet when Draper sims....I don't know...

Again take this semi seriously, and I may go back and do more research throughout the other seasons. But the question has to be asked....Draper do you actually tamper with the settings to get favorable results? 

Edited by Mr. Power

There is also a reality I may not have recognized. Maybe Jardy secretly rigs, and tailors results to his own liking and always has. And now that Draper takes over some sims we start to see inconsistent results between the two sims because of it!

#Conspiracy 

I know the article is part in jest but from personal experience, I absolutely hated simming my own games in leagues, because I knew what some people would come to the conclusion of if my team won, even if we were the favourites to win.

I remember towards the latter days of the USFL (a football sim league ran by Shaka), I took over the simming reigns at the third season, which was a point where my team had developed enough to become the best team in the league I'd say. But the first five games I simmed that season were five wins for my team and I remember hoping we would lose at least one of them just cause of what people would think. Luckily the league closed after those five games due to unrelated issues so I couldn't extend the streak. 

• Senior Admin

Okay, first of all let's not kid ourselves here Devise by saying that this a semi-joke and not an accusation, because it is in fact an accusation and one that I find quite disturbing.

Second, if I'm understanding you correctly, the bulk of your ammunition here is inconsistent scoring and such (specifically your example about Helsinki vs. Calgary). And when you ask if I tamper with settings to produce favourable results, I presume you mean the sliders like goals, hits, etc as those are the only settings that would have an impact on scoring. Aside from saying 'no, i didn't do it' I can tell you that there is literally no way for me to change any settings on a per-game basis. Any changes I made to the overall formulas that the sim uses would be reflected in every game I simmed, with no way for me to single out my own games. Unless any of the other simmers know something that I don't, they can attest to this fact. 

The only realistic way to 'rig' is to reload the sim without saving and simming and again, which would be both time consuming and pointless considering the file takes ~2-3 minutes to open and I have very little incentive to rig - even more so in the regular season where the number of games I sim is typically small. Honestly I'm surprised that certain people are making accusations here - Hell, Helsinki beat Davos 7 times this season and all of the sudden I'm cheating the league because we won two close games in overtime? I mean give me a break Ahma, you've been going around all day blabbering on with absolutely no cause or foundation for the shit you've been spewing. I don't really know what you guys want me to say here but Helsinki won a cup last year without me simming a single playoff games and our team improved between now and then, but they're only performing because I'm rigging..?

I've never put my job as GM ahead of my job as Commish and believe it or not the integrity of the league is something that I take very seriously. None of my players have ever received any kind of favouritism, and also different people around the league are aware of the fact that I've been actively exploring options to leave my post as GM for the past season or so which might give you some indication of which job I put first. As for last nights sim, it was already around 1AM for me when Jardy messaged me sim and I no longer had the live-stream software (OBS) on my computer as I wiped everything when I upgraded to Win10 a month or two ago. Sorry, but I didn't much feel like downloading and configuring it at that time of night. 

In any case, there's not much else I can say. I certainly won't deny that the fault for not live-streaming last night lies with me, and if Higgins wants to re-sim last nights games against Davos because of that fact then I could care less; it seems clear however that there will always be someone on the losing team that cries rig and thus I will be more than happy to remove myself from the pool of simmers.

Draper, and everyone else, please don't take my accusations of Draper rigging too seriously, I'm mostly saying it as a "serious joke" (hard to explain what I mean by it in english :/). I have my views and believes of Draper's riggings, you can't sweep them away. Let me say that I have my reasons for blaming rigging.

I gotta give some props to Draper, I mean you have quite a team in Helsinki. I guess fall into that rigging-crier category haha

Thinking about my future rigging accusations, don't go apeshit about it. It will most likely be that "serious joke" I hope you don't get a false image of what I mean by serious joke.

Mine is a joke that stems back to when Scotty used to sim. Hell if you need any evidence of whether I'm joking or not, my presence in the league to this point should tell you that. If someone rigs, we'd know it. I just think people need to research STHS a bit more and figure out what a simmer can do and can't so. You'd be surprise to learn if they were to rig, you'd see it clear as day.

2 hours ago, XaviYEAH! Woods said:

I know the article is part in jest but from personal experience, I absolutely hated simming my own games in leagues, because I knew what some people would come to the conclusion of if my team won, even if we were the favourites to win.

I remember towards the latter days of the USFL (a football sim league ran by Shaka), I took over the simming reigns at the third season, which was a point where my team had developed enough to become the best team in the league I'd say. But the first five games I simmed that season were five wins for my team and I remember hoping we would lose at least one of them just cause of what people would think. Luckily the league closed after those five games due to unrelated issues so I couldn't extend the streak. 

Well yeah, because the best (and championship winning) GM had gone inactive by that point :ph34r:

47 minutes ago, Draper said:

Second, if I'm understanding you correctly, the bulk of your ammunition here is inconsistent scoring and such (specifically your example about Helsinki vs. Calgary). And when you ask if I tamper with settings to produce favourable results, I presume you mean the sliders like goals, hits, etc as those are the only settings that would have an impact on scoring. Aside from saying 'no, i didn't do it' I can tell you that there is literally no way for me to change any settings on a per-game basis. Any changes I made to the overall formulas that the sim uses would be reflected in every game I simmed, with no way for me to single out my own games. Unless any of the other simmers know something that I don't, they can attest to this fact. 

Not claiming you are rigging, but can't you change the overall formula, or the pro simulation settings in the sim, in between games? Note, I've never simmed for a league but have noticed those features in my version of the sim I use, so don't know if it's the same for you guys.

• Senior Admin
3 minutes ago, TheNextGreatOne said:

Not claiming you are rigging, but can't you change the overall formula, or the pro simulation settings in the sim, in between games? Note, I've never simmed for a league but have noticed those features in my version of the sim I use, so don't know if it's the same for you guys.

I guess you could do it in between simming days, but not specific games. (i.e if there is a day with 5 games on it, you have to sim all 5 at once)

3 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Mine is a joke that stems back to when Scotty used to sim. Hell if you need any evidence of whether I'm joking or not, my presence in the league to this point should tell you that. If someone rigs, we'd know it. I just think people need to research STHS a bit more and figure out what a simmer can do and can't so. You'd be surprise to learn if they were to rig, you'd see it clear as day.

Unless you fuck with the sliders, then not as clear