Health and Fitness - Motivational Thread

Advantage

3 minutes ago, evrydayimbyfuglien said:

I'm "pescatarian" but occasionally I'll have chicken so I guess I don't really fit into any specific category, but when I made that change, I noticed a big difference in how I felt more than anything. I lost about 12 lbs but I seem to have plateaued. I recently got in touch with a health coach through my job so I'm working on getting more active and all that. Glad to see I'm not the only non-meat eater around here, even if I only half count lol

Oh, absolutely. Change in how you feel in any given moment is incredible. I actually started wanting to exercise or play sports, slept better, felt better about myself. It's incredible.

I've discovered since stopping the vegan diet and changing careers that my default weight is 176 +/- 2 pounds. It's very odd to reach that sort of level where it doesn't seem to matter too much if I eat a bunch or if I exercise a lot. I had a huge dinner last night and weighed a pound more than I did in the morning. I'll have other days where I bust my ass doing manual labor for 14 hours and will be dripping sweat and I'll be 174.5. Bizarre. Good luck with the coach!

On 4/3/2016 at 1:30 PM, Phil said:

Let's do this! 

tumblr_n7slkkSDHv1rljjaio1_1280.jpg

Also, would love it if people posted their favourite workout songs below. I am looking to restructure my current Workout Playlist.  

I'm too much of a peasant to have an iPod to bring to the gym, but I like to listen to various songs from Geometry Dash whilst driving to the gym to pump myself up. This one's my fave:

I also really like this one:

Basically I like to rave on my way to the gym.

Okay, what's everyone's status?!

I've starting a new program now, focusing on size and strength. Been feeling better and better through each workout. Also have been eating better, minus fridays. I'm gearing up for beach season, where I will hopefully actually be able to go to the beach. Toronto beaches don't really count. 

Anyone want to share anything!? Ask questions, or gloat about something healthy/awesome you've done? According to my last workout, I lifted 22,000kg+ or 50,000 lbs. That was a Chest, Triceps, Calves day in the 12-15 rep range. I found that surprising. 

I had a really good week last week until maybe Friday when I was training arms. Did a few curls sets then decided to chuck some extta weight on and I think my form must've gone to shit because my elbows have been real sore the last few days. One's back to normal and the others almost there but I'm sticking to cardio only until I know they're fine :( 

Edited by Daniel

Just now, Daniel said:

I had a really good week last week until maybe Friday when I was training arms. Did a few curls sets then decided to chuck some extta weight on and I think my form must've gone to shit because my elbows have been in agony the last few days. One's back to normal and the others almost there but I'm sticking to cardio only until I know they're fine :( 

Sucks to hear. Out of interest, were you using a preacher curl stand or doing standing? My guess is that you were sitting. 

You're doing the right thing by taking a few days away from that. I recently hurt my lower back on leg day doing deadlifts... it was the heaviest I ever lifted and on the last set, I must have been lifting more with one side. I stretched it out, used a foam roll and did body weight exercises before doing legs again to ensure that I healed properly. 

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sucks to hear. Out of interest, were you using a preacher curl stand or doing standing? My guess is that you were sitting. 

You're doing the right thing by taking a few days away from that. I recently hurt my lower back on leg day doing deadlifts... it was the heaviest I ever lifted and on the last set, I must have been lifting more with one side. I stretched it out, used a foam roll and did body weight exercises before doing legs again to ensure that I healed properly. 

You're correct, I was just sat on a weight bench. Always try to avoid standing for arm stuff just to take the back out of the equation. Really sucks when you're just starting on a new routine to have to put the brakes on so soon :)) 

I'm paranoid about doing deadlifts, I never really got into doing them unless I've got someone spotting me/checking my form. I've beeen doing a load of body weight stuff aimed at core lately which has actually seemed to be really effective 

Just now, Daniel said:

You're correct, I was just sat on a weight bench. Always try to avoid standing for arm stuff just to take the back out of the equation. Really sucks when you're just starting on a new routine to have to put the brakes on so soon :)) 

I'm paranoid about doing deadlifts, I never really got into doing them unless I've got someone spotting me/checking my form. I've beeen doing a load of body weight stuff aimed at core lately which has actually seemed to be really effective 

BW exercises for core is amazing.. add some stability stuff to it, and wow. That's really all you need for an amazing core. 

Yea, I figured it was sitting because that a single-jointed exercise, meaning that the elbow is the only joint absorbing the energy. With multi joint exercise, like standing barbell curls, you can absorb some energy with the ankles, knees, hips, elbows etc. But as you said.. you can kinda cheat with standing by using your back to bring it up ahah

That being said the singl-joint exercises are fantastic for targetting a specific muscle group. When your elbows feels better and you're back to doing those, I'd recommend slightly less weight, but squeeze at the top and serious control on the way down (aka negatives). That'll really give your biceps a blast!! 

Been either working out/going for a run everyday. I can do 4km in about 25 minutes but I run w my dog so he throws my pace off (he sprints at the beginning then is dead after like 10 lmao). I can do 3X20 regular pushups and 3X15 decline pushups. Situps I can 3X20 w 15lbs added and I can 3X5 pull ups. I dont really know what iam doing but I just workout ahaa. 

I'm still at a decent pace, but also still having troubles managing my diet. Especially this weekend, since I tend to skip meals when I want to drink.

As for the gym, I'm getting to the point where I need to evolve my workout. Thus far I've mostly been doing a little bit of everything, but I feel like I have to both pick up the pace and start focusing on certain areas of my body on certain days. Also I should be going to the gym more often in general.

Used to work out everyday but I let it get away from me and ruined my routine. Put on the "happy weight" most people do in a relationship. Getting married in August and I want to get back in shape for it. 

Back to watching what I eat with cardio/basketball every couple days. The work I do is physical so I can't just jump back into hardcore lifting without a transition period because it will effect my job. Excited to get back at it but worried I'm going to stray away from it again. 

What about supplements I don't even take medicine from the doctor and I'm not about taking creatine or anything my balls are small enough as it is.  I see protein whey stuff everywhere but from the wiki, web md, and everything in between it says basically the results aren't conclusive to even help.  Tomorrow (Tuesday) is my last day of bowling plan to start more intense workouts jogging/running on Wednesday and beyond.

@Phil

I don't have any specific songs for you but I'm in the process of building my music library and he is where I'm starting.

All That Remains
Five Finger Death Punch
Disturbed
Papa Roach
Shinedown
Linkin Park
Metallica
Theory of a Deadman
Nickelback
Seether
3 Doors Down
Breaking Benjamin
Three Days Grace
Killswitch Engage
Apocalyptica
Chevelle
Trapt
Godsmack
Drowning Pool
Skillet
AC/DC
Pantera
Guns N' Roses
Black Sabbath
Evanescence
Korn
Drowning Pool
Staind
Avenged Sevenfold
Bullet For My Valentine
10 Years
Creed
Rise Against
The Offspring
Saving Abel
The Fray
Switchfoot
Lifehouse
In This Moment
Crossfade
System of a Down
Puddle of Mudd
The Calling
The Fray
The Goo Goo Dolls
Daughtry
Saliva
Rage Against The Machine
Stone Sour
Slipknot

I also need to buy a new tub of protein, but I had no idea there was so many different kinds and price ranges and shit. In terms of putting on mass and muscle, what from www.bodybuilding.com would I get my most bang for my buck for?

• Senior Admin
3 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

I also need to buy a new tub of protein, but I had no idea there was so many different kinds and price ranges and shit. In terms of putting on mass and muscle, what from www.bodybuilding.com would I get my most bang for my buck for?

https://perfectsports.net/store/diesel

Don't know if they have it on bodybuilding but I've been using that one for awhile, it`s awesome. Ships out of N.B. and they send you a bunch of free samples with every order B)

Not exactly the cheapest tho =(

On 4/12/2016 at 11:49 PM, JardyB10 said:

Gold Standard 100% Whey. Very clean protein and great price. Whey Protein is fast digestive and so it's a perfect post-workout protein or useful to have as soon as you wake up to break the fast from your night's rest.

I've been getting into running recently. Not really any goals right now, but I'd like to get to a 5 minute mile by the end of the summer. My pace right now for that distance is about 14.5km/h and I need to get to 19, so definitely lots of work ahead.

hit a 405 double on deadlifts today after volume squats without preworkout. best i've done since i fucked my back last year. notbad.jpg

Edited by Tim

14 hours ago, Tim said:

hit a 405 double on deadlifts today after volume squats without preworkout. best i've done since i fucked my back last year. notbad.jpg

WOO!

I'm just about to go for leg day... dreading/excited for it. I'll be doing a Romanian Deadlift set 4x11 - so probably wont be hitting anywhere near that weight ahahh! Well done!