Two Players

• Admin
16 minutes ago, YEAH!stlemania said:

If there's one thing about the conversation of new ideas that I've agreed with, it's when @CowboyinAmerica said that Season 50 is too close to consider implementing these ideas for. It seems like a decent enough idea to think about, but I think discussion of Season 50/51 should be quashed. 

As for the ideas themselves, it's difficult for me to say because there seems to be so many variants on the idea. Like I do think it's a decent idea for those of us who are here right now, but I'm not so sure if that's going to be good for new recruits. E.g. I think one of the things that could potentially be a problem is if you allow two players, is there a chance that, say by the time we reach Season 60, that it'll take a while for newer members to get onto a decent line and are they going to be pissed off because the guys ahead of them are duplicates? 

If we want second players to appear by the S51 draft, we have til S49 trade deadline to make this official. I think that's load of time. And it doesn't seem like anyone's really started trading S51 draft picks and in any case I don't think that matters. There wasn't 5 seasons heads up for expansion, it was announced before S30 for S31.

I think the second issue you suggest can be dealt with by expansion but I don't know if it will be an issue especially if there's a staggered start and limits on how close the two players' draft seasons can be.

2 minutes ago, Victor said:

If we want second players to appear by the S51 draft, we have til S49 trade deadline to make this official. I think that's load of time. And it doesn't seem like anyone's really started trading S51 draft picks and in any case I don't think that matters. There wasn't 5 seasons heads up for expansion, it was announced before S30 for S31.

I think the second issue you suggest can be dealt with by expansion but I don't know if it will be an issue especially if there's a staggered start and limits on how close the two players' draft seasons can be.

Yeah, but there's a hell of a lot of difference between introducing two new teams with all current players and introducing however many teams you'd want to make this work with and around 50-70 more players over the course of three seasons. Plus, you're pretty much asking GMs to stop trading their S51 Draft picks based on a hypothetical situation that we don't even know the basics of yet (I've seen five different variations of how to implement two players in the replies alone). 

And is expansion really the right move? Sure, making more teams for more players make sense, but from what I've gathered, we've had problems in the past garnering General Managers (e.g. I'm pretty sure I read I was the only person interested in taking over Seattle in Season 42), and we're gonna add at least two more teams needing managers? Maybe the attraction of being an "expansion general manager" would attract some people, but that's a risk no?

Thing is though, I think expansion would have to be necessary. That was the point I was going to make before I saw the last couple posts - I actually don't like the idea of having four full lines at all, even if it corresponds with a new sim engine. You have people as it is not happy about time on ice; well, you're about to see that decreased by about one-third for the top players, by half of more for the players/members further down the depth chart. For me personally, it would be much more fun to have one player at 30 minutes per game than two players at 15. Not to mention the issues of being further behind that YEAH raised. The GM thing is an issue as well, but kill/dramatically retool the VHLM...

And yeah, I said it before, but still think that you'd be rushing into it. Until the S49 trade deadline? You know that's about a month, right? To finalize all new rules like salary cap and what to do about carryover that will need to be completely changed, figure out a plan for staggering new players if you want one, issues of expansion that are raised here, and how exactly you're going to leverage all of this into a recruitment plan that actually does something. The BOG argues for multiple months about whether an Offensive and Defensive Defenseman of the Year award is necessary, and you tell me all of this is going to be resolved in a sound way that quickly?

12 minutes ago, Victor said:

There are issues where it's probably best to skip the BOG and go straight to decision.

I don't know what further discussion needs to take place outside this thread.

Be a real admin again 

29 minutes ago, Victor said:

There are issues where it's probably best to skip the BOG and go straight to decision.

I don't know what further discussion needs to take place outside this thread.

And a major change such as this isn't one of them. A league altering move like this would require time to hash out.

• Senior Admin
5 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

And a major change such as this isn't one of them. A league altering move like this would require time to hash out.

I don't think he was saying to just go ahead and do it, I think he meant to just keep this discussion going in the public forum rather than lock it away in the BOG forum

If you had to have at minimum 4 seasons (At S50 deadline) between players and every active player in that age group recreated next season you'd have 22 new players but that is a bit much for one draft. 

S48 - 3 seasons - 7 new players 

S47 - 4 seasons - 8 new players

S46 - 5 seasons - 5 new players

S45 - 6 seasons - 9 new players   

One thing is: how would this work for VHLM GMs? I think this is a cool idea, but now that I think of it, I would probably just keep my second player at 175 TPE and help my VHLM team.

4 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

One thing is: how would this work for VHLM GMs? I think this is a cool idea, but now that I think of it, I would probably just keep my second player at 175 TPE and help my VHLM team.

You get to be my bitch, that's how it is

5 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

It's something we would have to figure out for sure.

Good article, @Molholt. I would agree with it. Having 2 players we'd need to raise the cap and change a few things to allow for it to work, but would increase a lot around the league, would make teams deeper (likely more competitive) and maybe more active? Maybe you could have the choice of doing 2 PT's a week for 6 and 6 or one and split the TPE among players with a new update scale? Or idk, lol. Or one be a welfare player ?