Euro 2016

15 hours ago, Victor said:

CROATIA YOU ABSOLUTE BEAUTIES

Spain, France, Italy, Germany, England all fighting for the same spot in the final. What one goal against Slovakia could have changed...

Too bad head to head is the first tiebreaker here. If it was goal difference, it would be interesting to see if Italy would throw the last match, knowing 6 would be enough and hoping Belgium would overtake them, trying to finish 2nd to get into the other half of the bracket. As it's head to head, nothing Italy can do now except sit on it and wait for Spain.

Still - a possible finals berth for a dark horse, could be Croatia or Poland or Wales (if Portugal continues to play like they typically do in major international events, which is to say, poorly and underwhelmingly).

• Admin
1 hour ago, Knight said:

I hope Roy gets his ass sacked for his naivety and incompetence. At least one side of the draw will be exciting. Seeing one of Spain/Italy go out in the Round of 16 is a real shame. 

I think this is an improvement for both sides. Let's be honest, any favourite vs underdog matchup is attack vs counter attack. Now underdogs have their own bracket and favourites their own. Both sides should be more open than meeting between the two would be.

It is ridiculously unfair but ideal from a neutral perspective.

• Senior Admin

I saw this thread titled 'Euro 2016' and I thought it was about the referendum. I think this is my first visit to the football forum.

Carry on. 

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Draper said:

I saw this thread titled 'Euro 2016' and I thought it was about the referendum. I think this is my first visit to the football forum.

Carry on. 

I mulled over a few responses to this but I couldn't pick one.

You're bad.

23 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

The fuck was Iceland doing? Don't score and they're in a better position, instead they do score and get fucked

Iceland is a country of honour. I see that as a badge for them. They all wanted to score and I think Iceland is swinging for the fences. It's their first ever Euro Cup final, might as well go balls to the wall.

@Knight, I think it's great to see either Spain or Italy get knocked out ;)

Just now, Kendrick said:

Iceland is a country of honour. I see that as a badge for them. They all wanted to score and I think Iceland is swinging for the fences. It's their first ever Euro Cup final, might as well go balls to the wall.

@Knight, I think it's great to see either Spain or Spain get knocked out ;)

FIFY. If the group stages are any indication, it'll be Italy with ease over Spain

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

@Knight Apparently Sweden will face Spain, not Italy. At least the commentator just mentioned that in the Sweden/Belgium game.

Yesterday I heard a commentator say Italy *might* finish top. Don't listen to them.

1 hour ago, diamond_ace said:

The fuck was Iceland doing? Don't score and they're in a better position, instead they do score and get fucked

They had a choice between playing Croatia and England. I don't blame them for going for the latter.

56 minutes ago, Victor said:

Yesterday I heard a commentator say Italy *might* finish top. Don't listen to them.

They had a choice between playing Croatia and England. I don't blame them for going for the latter.

True, but France waits after England. While Croatia have been playing better than England, I'd say Croatia then the Switzerland/Poland winner is a better setup than England then the France/Ireland winner (otherwise known as France).

• Admin
1 minute ago, diamond_ace said:

True, but France waits after England. While Croatia have been playing better than England, I'd say Croatia then the Switzerland/Poland winner is a better setup than England then the France/Ireland winner (otherwise known as France).

I dunno, Ireland have something involving Thierrys and handballs to discuss with the French.

WALES V NORTHERN IRELAND!!! battle of Britain 2.0

Just now, Victor said:

I dunno, Ireland have something involving Thierrys and handballs to discuss with the French.

WALES V NORTHERN IRELAND!!! battle of Britain 2.0

True. I'd like nothing more than Ireland scoring on a Hoolahandball and knocking the hosts out

• Admin
1 minute ago, diamond_ace said:

True. I'd like nothing more than Ireland scoring on a Hoolahandball and knocking the hosts out

like the refs would allow that. Albania game showed it will take a miracle of 7-1 proportion to knock France out.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

IRELANNNNNNNNDDDD

I love upsets!

Italy not known for doing more than the bare minimum tbf. Still tough to break down but slightly less of an upset than it would have been against the first team.

The players may have some idea of the scores, but you cannot take your chances when conceding one goal knocks you out of the competition. So stop all this bollocks of making it seem like Iceland made a choice of who they were going to play. 

And I admit @Victor, you have a point about the match-ups being ideal from a neutral perspective. However, the left side of the draw is quite weak. One of those teams will be in the finals. Whoever it is, they will be the severe underdog (unless by some miracle Germany/Italy/France/Spain are not in the finals) and essentially it'll be attack vs. counter attack. Croatia may be able to produce a bit more of a fight, but it will still be very one-sided. 

Poland 1-0 Switzerland
Wales 2-0 Northern Ireland
Croatia 2-1 Portugal
France 2-1 aet Ireland
Germany 2-0 Slovakia
Hungary 1-3 Belgium
Italy 2-0 Spain
England 2-1 Iceland

Poland 1-2 aet Croatia
Wales 2-1 Belgium
Germany 2-2p Italy
France 2-0 England

Croatia 2-1 Wales
Italy 1-2 aet France

Croatia 1-2 France

Edited by diamond_ace

• Admin

Actually agree with Jason's predictions for a change. Except hopefully France lose in the semis.

David, Croatia are probably the 3rd best team I've watched so far. And they beat one of the ones I thought was top two. I think they might just win it noe, provided Portugal don't finally wake up.

1 hour ago, Victor said:

Actually agree with Jason's predictions for a change. Except hopefully France lose in the semis.

David, Croatia are probably the 3rd best team I've watched so far. And they beat one of the ones I thought was top two. I think they might just win it noe, provided Portugal don't finally wake up.

Croatia have definitely been good. I honestly think Poland have been pretty decent as well, but of the "weak" half of the bracket, they're in the same quarter as Croatia. Whoever wins Poland/Croatia gets to the final, I think. Eventually one of those two will be able to stop Bale (and therefore Wales) unless someone else does it before then. Somehow Portugal never seem to wake up

• Admin
8 hours ago, diamond_ace said:

Croatia have definitely been good. I honestly think Poland have been pretty decent as well, but of the "weak" half of the bracket, they're in the same quarter as Croatia. Whoever wins Poland/Croatia gets to the final, I think. Eventually one of those two will be able to stop Bale (and therefore Wales) unless someone else does it before then. Somehow Portugal never seem to wake up

To be fair Portugal have three semifinals in the last four Euros. Including a final.