Euro 2016

I lost a bet with another coach from soccer.

Me and my buddies had to coach our game wearing Portugal jerseys and had to get a picture with the flag.

France better kick ass, because this time if Portugal wins, we have to stand in the middle of the field while the Portuguese national anthem plays.

I came into this semi final ‘neutral’. Just wanting to see two good teams that I liked play a really good game of football. I couldn’t believe how badly I wanted Germany to win by the end.

I used to like France. I really did. I used to like Griezmann until he inconceivably created a worse dancing celebration than Sturridge. I used to like Koscielny and Sagna until they convinced the referee that Muller managed to topple both of them in a corner routine. I used to really like Payet, until he had the game stopped because the ball hit his face. Because the ball. Hit his face. Unacceptable.

I used to like France until, upon victory, they shamelessly stole the Icelandic clap thing having beaten them three days prior.

My head tried to tell me that France took their chances from poor defending and that makes the difference blah blah. But my heart was just screaming, between Portugal and France, this is the least deserving bunch of d***s to ever make a major tournament final. Not that any of them will give a damn but I actually have no interest in watching it.

Agreed.

Portugal's defense smothered France. I was really hoping in the 90' minute, that shot France took that hit the post would've went in. That would've been a storybook ending.

I was bemused to see a lack of shared loathing of Ronaldo, so was compelled to write in.

Ronaldo gets injured. It looks like a genuinely a bad one. He gets treatment, walks off the pitch and then decides to play on. Fine, nothing to see here. After another five minutes where he is clearly mobile enough to run into the penalty area and challenge for a header, he signals to the bench to be substituted and commences approximately 110 mins of obscene narcissism.

After showing how mobile he is just seconds before, he decides he needs to sit in the middle of the pitch and requires a stretcher to aid him from it. A nice couple of minutes being center of attention with the World’s cameras pointed at him. For the rest of normal time there was clearly not many opportunities for him to preen himself in front of the lenses, but as soon as the 90min whistle was blown and the cameras focused on the huddled teams, he grabbed the opportunity to make himself seen again. Moving between each and every player and giving them a morale-boosting word in their ears – the same ears that he has screamed into all tournament when they have not passed to him or had the audacity to make a mistake. During extra time, the man that required four people to carry him from the field replaced Fernando Santos as manager and jumped and shouted his way around the technical area (I don’t recall any player, ever, doing something similar). If you can read lips then you’ll know he was shouting “LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!” (in Portuguese, obviously).

When the goal went in I turned to my wife and said “as soon as the whistle goes then the TV goes off” (which she was quite happy about anyway). I could not bear to see him make himself the center of attention once again. Lo and behold the one image I saw on the news this morning was the Portugal team celebrating, trophy in front of the group and in front of the trophy was Ronaldo, arms and legs spread on the turf like he was trying to make a snow angel, quite literally making himself the biggest part of the photos that would shoot around the globe.

Awesome footballer. Massive p***k

:lol:

cristiano-ronaldo-re-3.jpg

THIS is not my Ronaldo. This is Hair Gel Boy. This is the Ronaldo of the people who assume City and Chelsea were always good (until this season's Chelsea). This is the Ronaldo of the people who don't realize Blackburn Rovers won the league, half of them don't realize Blackburn Rovers were ever in the Prem, half of that half don't even realize there is a Blackburn Rovers. This is the Ronaldo of people who don't know that Serie A had a match fixing scandal or how widespread it was, that at one point back in the day the Brazilian league was full of good players who'd actually stay there instead of waiting for the highest European bidder, when players like Garrincha would turn down Europe even when the offers were creative. This is the Ronaldo of people who know what PSG is now and assume the Ligue 1 has always been like that and who don't understand that Lyon, Marseille, Monaco, Nantes, and St.Etienne all have more titles (and that Lyon in the mid 00s was arguably more dominant than PSG is now because they did it for longer).

footballing-legend-ronaldo-previews-braz

This is my Ronaldo. This is the Fifa 98 equivalent of Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl. This is the original, this is the best. It shouldn't be necessary to have to type "brazilian ronaldo" into Google to find things on this guy...

14 minutes ago, BluesBoy71 said:

I was hoping anyone but Portugal would win that Euro, being from a 75% Portuguese town.

People were shooting fireworks out of their damn cars. It was hell.

That sucks. Vancouver was like that too. A lot of Portugal fans.

18 hours ago, boom said:

Congratulations Portugal on your victory at Euro 2016, although I would have preferred someone else. But not Italy.

I may be pathetic, but you cannot convince me that CR isn't a turd.

Exactly. There is no universal mandate across sports that requires liking all good players. It is entirely possible (common, in fact) to dislike a player while still admitting he is good at the sport. I freely admit he's good. I also point out that he is oversaturated in the media, to the point where Brazilian Ronaldo only ever gets mentioned in comparison. We can bring up other good players, Zidane for example, on their own merit. Brazilian Ronaldo never gets brought up on his own merit because of his newer, shinier namesake - like a rich guy trading in a wife.

25 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

Exactly. There is no universal mandate across sports that requires liking all good players. It is entirely possible (common, in fact) to dislike a player while still admitting he is good at the sport. I freely admit he's good. I also point out that he is oversaturated in the media, to the point where Brazilian Ronaldo only ever gets mentioned in comparison. We can bring up other good players, Zidane for example, on their own merit. Brazilian Ronaldo never gets brought up on his own merit because of his newer, shinier namesake - like a rich guy trading in a wife.

Us real Footy fans know what Ronaldo gave to us and the sport and we know who he is when the name is said. I'd rather people just call the other one CR7, because I have no time for him haha.

Ronaldo himself was such a polarizing figure up front and watching him score so many times was simply a delightful experience.