Claimed:Koponen Set to Test [Reviewed]

Will

• Senior Admin

OI002822629f.jpg

Is Koponen a Separatist?

The VHL's 50th season has concluded and, with it, so has Aleksi Koponen's contract! Actually, he has a player option but all signs lead us to believe he intends to test Free Agency.

Koponen's rookie years were spent in Helsinki where he helped bring home two Continental Cups before being moved to the Quebec City Meute, where he has spent the last two seasons. That leaves him with 2 seasons to go before hitting the VHL's 8 season limit. And so, it isn't entirely surprising that he's open to leaving Quebec given that he hasn't found much success in Quebec. Time is running out and it makes sense that he at least wants to consider his options. That being said, Koponen hasn't confirmed that he will indeed leave Quebec. In an interview given shortly after the Meute were eliminated from this season's playoffs, he appeared to keep all his cards on the table:

"At this point I can't say what I will do, because I do not know. I have been in contact with Quebec management but we have not come to an agreement and likely won't before free agency opens. I'm not prepared to close any doors yet, but I am looking forward to reviewing my options and seeing where my talent would be best served in the final seasons of my career."

This free agency cycle could spell trouble for Quebec City, who have 4 key players set to be eligible in Aleksi Koponen, Unassisted, Greg Clegane, and Jeff Hamilton. If they manage to keep all of these players, the Meute will remain in a good position to be competitive in S51. If they lose even one or two of these players, however, Quebec could have difficulty making up the difference.

Quebec isn't the only one with high stakes in this particular free agency though, in fact virtually every team should have a stake in it this season because it's a freakin' big one. Not just in size, either - there is a lot of big names potentially up for grabs this season. On top of the Quebec players listed previously, you have Tyson Kohler coming off his rookie contract with the Cologne Express and now three-time cup winner Black Velvet from Toronto. This presents a golden opportunity for upcoming teams with a bunch of rookie contracts and lots of cap space - if they could woo even a few of these high-impact free agents, they could go from zeroes to heroes overnight.

With less than enthusiastic anticipation of the S51 draft, free agency may well be the star of the show this off-season. It will be very interesting to watch these free agents either make or break teams. 

4 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

and Shawn Muller 

Nah, we know where he's gonna be next year.

@Draper Shame the Legion are losing Wingod. I know a team who has a great young goalie and a spot open for an elite center. ;)

Best of luck during your decision.

54 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Nah, we know where he's gonna be next year.

@Draper Shame the Legion are losing Wingod. I know a team who has a great young goalie and a spot open for an elite center. ;)

Best of luck during your decision.

Wow you literally just named Helsinki. How nice of you to recruit for them :D