Welcome to the Post-S50 Era [Reviewed]

Phil

Welcome to the Post-S50 Era

im-your-father-tape-ipod-nooo.jpg

Well, here we are. It’s been a long period, these past 50 seasons, but we’ve finally arrived in the post-50 season era. Don’t worry! This is not a reflection piece. Au contraire, this is actually a look into the future.

Our core member base is still trucking along. By “core” I mean the guys who have been around here forever. The @sterlings, @Beketovs, @Kendricks, @Streetlights etc of the VHL. Basically anyone who has been here consistently longer than me (yes, @JardyB10, @Victor, @Advantage, and @tfong) this includes you). Then we have the core of members from the S20s, two of which are the current commissioners of the league, @Higgins and @Draper, along with @Green, @boom, @der meister, the Gows (@eaglesfan036 @flyersfan1493) and @solas. Finally, there are the “newer” core members, those of the likes of @DollarAndADream, @ADwyer87,  @evrydayimbyfuglien, @Christmas, @gorlab etc. However, what we are still lacking is the recruitment side of things and we all know this. Recently there’s been a pretty big reddit push that have seen some new members come into the league, but we cannot seem to hook any.

The problem (or alternatively the single-handed most important reason for the VHL’s success) is that we are so heavily reliant on these members. If a few decide to leave the league, we’d be left pretty high and dry. I mean, even with that, the S51 draft was probably the worst draft in the VHL's history.

Despite this, the Commissioners along with the BoG came up with an innovative and perfect solution, knowing that we have these cores members: the second-player. From now on (starting with the S52 Draft) there will be more players filtering through the league, not because of recruitment, but because of the lack of recruitment.  This really was a stroke of genius. It took the one thing we relied the most on (our faithful members) and placed the future of the VHL entirely in our hands.

Image result for back in my day gif

I was lucky enough to win the lottery to be in the first generation of second-players with my new player, Phil Shankly. I was (and still am) very excited about it, but to keep up my level of activity with both players I think will prove difficult. Of course, “my level of activity” is very atypical and higher than most, but I’ve set a unique standard for myself and I would hate to see any sort of decline in it.

But even if the vast majority of these second players become welfare or pension players, this adds much needed depth to the league. It also means that some members have double the chances of winning awards and trophies which is nice, and dare I say that we’ll see some unique player builds come back into style?

At the end of the day, if our core members stay with us, there’s really not even a point in trying to recruit. The VHL will go on forever, or until it runs of our GMs or Commissioners.

There, I think  I’ve reached the word limit and tagged a sufficient number of members. I know I haven't tagged half of those that I would throw into those "core" categories, but it will have to do. 

-- 

~phil

@Mr. Power, @Mr. Jones, @YEAH!stlemania  @Molholt you're all in the core member group too. I'll probably keep randomly tagging people whenever I remember ;)

I could probably just quantify it with a statement such as: "Those who have had two or more players with consistent activity" 

Edited by Phil

1 minute ago, gorlab said:

nobody relies on me tbh

My sanity does, your presence serves as a constant reminder why this place is so awesome. I mean just look at that sig and avatar.

Phil too. :P Good write up though. Recruitment has been a spot better lately plus activity on the board seems to be improving. More steady flow of PT too. But summer is also over as well.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hickey said:

What member group am I a part of?

The "old members who have just returned and it is TBD whether they'll stick around or not". 

It's a select group that doesn't really have a track record yet, but you join @Zero @scotty @Brandon @Schultzy x 91 @Renomitsu and a few more

Edited by Phil

40 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Draper is not a 20's! More like a 40's. What a disgrace to those of us who are proudly 20's.

23/24 secretly the best. Especially if ADV and I can get that last bum Jericho back.

15 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

wow Phil. wow. 

You know what's funny? I instantly put you in with the older members, but then deleted you. Then I added the " Basically anyone who has been here consistently longer than me " bit and deliberately left you out of the  bracketed members... 

you know why?

Because I knew you'd say something <3

1 minute ago, Phil said:

You know what's funny? I instantly put you in with the older members, but then deleted you. Then I added the " Basically anyone who has been here consistently longer than me " bit and deliberately left you out of the  bracketed members... 

you know why?

Because I knew you'd say something <3

wow.

2 minutes ago, sterling said:

We need new members you mother fucker

When was the last big recruitment? In S25? Oh but we still here. 

The whole point of the article was that we've relied on our core base for so long - if they leave we're fucked. 

S16 was the best because it had legend Hiro Renomitsu in it.

It was also the worst because no one from the first two rounds are still here. I lied, I forgot about @KingRobbie's space Mexican.

Edited by JardyB10