2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

8Ovechkin8

You're delusional and a fanboy if you think Crosby means more to the Pens than Toews does to the Hawks.

MVP in the NHL has a skewed meaning. If you lead the league in points or goals there is a 48% to each person for winning the heart. If the leader in points is leader in goals its a 96% chance of winning. No way to do take in how valuable they are to their team in all ways of the game. All of you saying that Stanley Cups don't matter, well the same can be said for MVP.

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

With Timonen most likely being forced to retire with blood clots in his lower right leg and both lungs, there goes the Flyers's playoff hopes. Although MDZ on a 1-year prove it deal isn't the worst thing in the world.

Hope Kimmo's recovers quickly and without complications. Pretty scary situation.

You know, I used to love the Crosby-Ovechkin debates because they were the two best players in the league for a while and it would constantly change between who was the better player. I just don't get these Crosby-Toews arguments though because everyone seems to think that Toews' defensive play outweighs Crosby's offensive play, when that's not true at all. I mean Toews isn't even the best two-way forward according to the NHL Writers. While Crosby was clearly the best offensive player and the MVP of the league. And the leadership stuff is bs. You guys have no idea of who's the better leader in the locker room, plus, Crosby's been the captain of the Penguins since he was 19, so there's obviously some good leadership with him (same with Toews, they're both great young leaders, it's just that you have no idea who the significantly better leader is in the room). The cups argument is pointless when you look at the Penguins bottom six and as-core compared to Chicago's these past few years. And Crosby has a cup! Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Crosby-Toews argument is just an excuse for the Crosby haters to hate on him some more and downgrade his success. Like I don't even see Toews as the second best player, when you got guys like Malkin and Stamkos.

Completely agree.  You have a handful of guys similar to Toews.  Don't get me wrong, Toews, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Kopitar, and guys like that are insanely valuable but when you have a guy like Crosby who, over his career, has been so heads and shoulders above everyone else offensively, he is the best player in the NHL.  The reason the Penguins have been in such a rut is Crosby, Malkin, and Letang.  Those three players take up nearly 40% of Pittsburgh's cap.  That's just not feasible, especially when Letang is not even that great of a dman imo.  If the Penguins want to win, they need to get rid of Malkin/Letang and add more depth.  Plus, seven of the last eight Stanley Cup champions have had one of those five guys I mentioned (I didn't even realize this until I decided to check) and the other had Crosby.

Edited by Ninetyfourgoalie

Completely agree.  You have a handful of guys similar to Toews.  Don't get me wrong, Toews, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Kopitar, and guys like that are insanely valuable but when you have a guy like Crosby who, over his career, has been so heads and shoulders above everyone else offensively, he is the best player in the NHL.  The reason the Penguins have been in such a rut is Crosby, Malkin, and Letang.  Those three players take up nearly 40% of Pittsburgh's cap.  That's just not feasible, especially when Letang is not even that great of a dman imo.  If the Penguins want to win, they need to get rid of Malkin/Letang and add more depth.  Plus, seven of the last eight Stanley Cup champions have had one of those five guys I mentioned (I didn't even realize this until I decided to check) and the other had Crosby.

2 had Toews. I get what you guys are saying, but as a whole complete player I'd take Toews. Captaincy, Skill, Class, Respect and everything all put together between the two I'd take Toews. He just shows a complete game and has the respect of everyone in the league. Crosby does not.

2 had Toews. I get what you guys are saying, but as a whole complete player I'd take Toews. Captaincy, Skill, Class, Respect and everything all put together between the two I'd take Toews. He just shows a complete game and has the respect of everyone in the league. Crosby does not.

You don't earn captaincy at 19 without being an excellent leader and I have no doubt in my mind Crosby is a great captain.  It's impossible to know what goes on behind closed doors but it's laughable to think that a team could ever win a Stanley Cup with a captain younger than the vast majority of the team who is not a strong leader - that simply would not sit well with veterans regardless of what Crosby could do on the ice.  And I don't really get what the big deal is about Crosby's defense - he may not be a premier defensive center but he does the job well enough and that's beside the fact that when he's on the ice, he tends to be in a position where his team is on the offensive as opposed to defending.  Based on everything aside from injury concerns, Crosby is easily the best player in the NHL.  There is no way anyone can, without bias, say otherwise.  The numbers are there.  The indications that he is a skilled leader are there.  And watching him play is honestly mesmerizing.  Believe me, I was never the biggest Crosby fan but it's impossible to see what he does and say he isn't one of the greatest hockey players of all time.

You don't earn captaincy at 19 without being an excellent leader and I have no doubt in my mind Crosby is a great captain.  It's impossible to know what goes on behind closed doors but it's laughable to think that a team could ever win a Stanley Cup with a captain younger than the vast majority of the team who is not a strong leader - that simply would not sit well with veterans regardless of what Crosby could do on the ice.  And I don't really get what the big deal is about Crosby's defense - he may not be a premier defensive center but he does the job well enough and that's beside the fact that when he's on the ice, he tends to be in a position where his team is on the offensive as opposed to defending.  Based on everything aside from injury concerns, Crosby is easily the best player in the NHL.  There is no way anyone can, without bias, say otherwise.  The numbers are there.  The indications that he is a skilled leader are there.  And watching him play is honestly mesmerizing.  Believe me, I was never the biggest Crosby fan but it's impossible to see what he does and say he isn't one of the greatest hockey players of all time.

I'm over that whole notion. He was given the captaincy because he was 19 and touted to be the best player, they hardly knew who the kid was at that point. It was a typical Pens move. I'm not saying Crosby sucks, I'm saying I'd take Toews. I personally believe Toews is more valuable, it's an opinion, not a stats fact or something written in the HHOF. He is a great player once again, but I'd rather have Toews and round out my roster.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting looking lines at training camp. I can't wait for some real games -- even if it's just pre-season -- to get underway. If all goes well this would be the ideal lineup for the Canucks right now:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Matthias - Horvat - Dorsett

Vey

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton/Weber

Miller

Lack

If Stanton can play the right side or Weber has a good camp, I can see Corrado going back to Utica to play top minutes again. I figure Sestito is done here, so Vey and Nicklas Jensen are going to have to push someone out of the lineup to get their spots. Prime targets would likely be Richardson or Hansen. The team isn't going to blow the doors off but it's nice to see they have some depth and some options this season.

EDIT: UGH POSTED IN THE WRONG SEASON. WHY IS THIS STILL PINNED?

Edited by Sandro

Richardson skating on the "third line" and Horvat on the "fourth". Putting Horvat between two legit NHLers means they're expecting him to make a serious push for a roster spot, and that he's likely in the lineup as they drew it up in the off-season. Sestito would currently be the 13th forward, I think putting Vey and Jensen on that line shows that they're the two other youngsters the Canucks think are on the cusp of getting a regular spot.

I hardly think Matthias and Dorsett are legit NHLers in talent though. Hard to say they are pushing him to be in the lineup, I think they are just putting him there to see what they have down the middle. Also, I saw Richardson play 3rd line last year as well for some games.

Playing Richardson as a third liner is a bit of a stretch, and I disagree on your sentiment towards Matthias/Dorsett. Both are quality bottom six players, Matthias played well after coming over from Florida and Dorsett was part of a good checking line in NYR.

Playing Richardson as a third liner is a bit of a stretch, and I disagree on your sentiment towards Matthias/Dorsett. Both are quality bottom six players, Matthias played well after coming over from Florida and Dorsett was part of a good checking line in NYR.

Yes but Horvat is a Top 6 guy in the future, surrounding him with those two is not going to get you what you want from him.

Yes but Horvat is a Top 6 guy in the future, surrounding him with those two is not going to get you what you want from him.

Horvat's known for his two-way excellence as well, he's someone that can be brought alone in a bottom six role initially. Look at someone like Couturier in Philly.

Horvat's known for his two-way excellence as well, he's someone that can be brought alone in a bottom six role initially. Look at someone like Couturier in Philly.

I actually think Sean didn't develop as quickly and nicely as Philly hoped by doing that. I just don't think Dorsett and Matthias are going to be the best line mates for him. I've seen a lot of Dorsett too, so I'm not speaking out of my ass.

still cant believe people thought toews>>crosby 

That changed because of what? Some user vote on TSN. Some of us think franchise base first, which is why Toews gets the vote. Just cause Crosby is a east coast guy doesn't mean he should be your biased vote there.