[Reviewed] My Disappointing GM Tenure Comes to an End

eaglesfan036

YTKcujp.png

I was the Calgary Wrangler GM from Season 43 to Season 52, but was only able to bring one cup to the franchise even though I've been blessed with some very talented players. Arguably my two most talented teams, the S45 Wranglers and the S51 Wranglers, both failed to reach their cup goals after completely dominating the regular season. Both those teams won the Victory Cup, and had some great superstars such as Bismark Koenig, Aleksi Koponen, and Black Velvet. Oddly enough, my one cup came with the S44 team that few expected to win, a team that lacked real star power but had a good enough first line, depth, and a great goalie in WinGod. 

I came frustratingly close to a second cup, with my S45 team going up 3-1 on Helsinki before losing due to the dreaded 3-1 curse. That same core then made the finals again in S46, but lost to Helsinki I think 4-1 but I am too lazy to check. In S47, we lost to New York in the NA finals 4-3, with Calgary winning the game 3-1 late in the third period, only to give up 3 goals in the span of 5 minutes that caused a great rage inside me. New York then went on to easily defeat a Stockholm team that was just happy to be in the playoffs (their celebrate sig was great). If we beat New York by not choking in the last 5 minutes, I am pretty sure we could have won a cup in S47. Then these past few years when I got some excellent free agency luck and some really talented players, things just didn't click in the playoffs as I don't think we ever even made it past the first round. It is especially frustrating for me because I won my cup so early and then have been on a downwards trajectory since then. It almost would feel more fulfilling if my first cup win came recently, as it would feel as though I built myself up to it. 

One thing I have noticed is the importance of goaltending in the playoffs. When Calgary had the best goalie in the league in WinGod, we were able to win the finals because even if the team had an off game, WinGod would bail us out with ridiculous performances. My other two goalies, Bernie Gow and Ariel Weinstein, were just hated by the sim. Both goalies had a good chunk of tpe, but for whatever reason the sim just hates some goalies and likes some others, and they both unfortunately had some soft performances in the playoffs which led to exits. I don't think I ever want to make a goalie in the VHL, because it seems to come down to dumb luck. For example, Victor's goalie had a lot less tpe than Smarch's, but played a lot better for some random reason. It looks like I've reached the word limit, so I am now going to tag everyone who I remember spending my time with Calgary so we can reminisce on our one cup win and all of our other failures.

@CowboyinAmerica @Cuffy @philthethrill81 @Boomcheck @hedgehog337 @Smarch @Kendrick @Will @Higgins @Jala @Caillean @Fire Hakstol @solas @Kendrick @diamond_ace @R.I.P. Boom® @Munk @Ball @mpclardy @boubabi was on the team at some point? @Mr.Baller @Velevra @Tylar @Christmas @sterling???

Still won a Cup, had some Hall of Fame players and some successful seasons. From my book you don't need to hang your head for the run, at the end of the day I think the Wranglers organization as a whole is still benefited from it. 

Interesting and odd narrative forming with GM's of the Wranglers though starting out with such hot fire, and then tapering off in activity/interest as the later seasons fade. @diamond_ace also had a similar run. Both got Cups though which I think is most important. 

11 minutes ago, Higgins said:

Remember the grin on your face when I said to retract all your offers except for the ones on Koponen, Unassisted, Kohler and Velvet?

Muller > Kohler should have retracted the offer the @Kendrick and not me :P 

great tenure though, you were great. to bad I never got to play on your team or have been your teammate yet. ive never gone back to Calgary since slobo released me in Season 1 after being drafted :lol: 

Review:

Nice article. I wouldn't call your tenure disappointing but I can see where winning in the beginning then never repeating could be a little bit of a personal letdown. But from the outside, it's still a very good run.

Grammar/Word Count/Etc. checks out. Keep it up!

• evrydayimbyfuglien changed the title to [Reviewed] My Disappointing GM Tenure Comes to an End

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Part of what made it worth it was getting to know many of you great people I might not have otherwise met. 

And I agree @Kendrick and @Mr. Power that I was kind of like Jason in that I started off super active with an outstanding locker room, but sort of tapered off in activity towards the end (though I don't think I got quite as inactive as Jason, as our team's strategical plans were still in place, I was just less of a motivator). 

Perhaps after some time off I could be a GM and VHLM Commish again, but for now ima chill