Game of Thrones

Victor

• Admin

woot Benjen

thought maybe, just maybe Brienne going to Riverrun was a red herring. But now Jaime too. And return of Frey, and mention of Brotherhood Without Banners. Hype is real.

Dany opts to use epic speech on dragon move this time. She will soon run out of combinations involving, dragons, fire, and foreign language speeches to deliver episode-ending scenes.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

I'm getting so fucking annoyed with the High Sparrow I was hoping he'd get rekt this episode.

I don't read the books so I have no idea what's "supposed" to happen and I have some expectations :P

the show's overtaken the books so no one knows any more.

I thought the episode was alright. Still no Dorne stuff which is fantastic. Nice to catch up with Sam again and see his plot take a much needed stakes turn. With everything else going on for him to just puddle along, and his plot to be rather standard it would of really interfered with the pacing of the rest of the stories. Now even he could play some bigger role in something, and going to be interesting to see what he actually does from this point. 

Sad we didn't get any check in on Sansa/Jon's slow formation of the super team before the audience finally gets the last laugh against Ramsay. :P The Arya story though, I really did not expect this much complexity. That is to say, I had a feeling one way or another she was going to end up going back to her roots. However I kind of figured it'd be as a servant of the Faceless Gods, or something to that effect. Instead it now feels more like all of this build/training was just to give her some much needed character growth and exploration. Now she's ready to get back into the world with all the other big names. I really feel like the Starks all of them living will reunite at some point. Gritty as the show can get, I still think that the Starks have been very much presented as close to a protagonist as one can get from something like this. Even more so than Dany. I feel like Dany will actually end up the villain in the end in some dark way. Speaking of her, man when the writing is good, is it ever good. Epic speech to end the episode. It's pretty much been a steady diet of Bran, Jon or Dany ending the episode doing some crazy shit. Pretty much the focal points of this season, so one can't complain. 

The Kings Landing stuff took a very, interesting turn. I'm kinda curious how long until we see the siege of Kings Landing, and the inevitable big war there. And who it will be between. Could Jamie turn on Cersei does anyone think eventually? Or that is, instead of take Riverun ally with Snow/The North to come back and get Kings Landing away from the Church. While Jamie is still a Lannister, he did have all that inner struggle stuff with Brie in Season 2. Not to mention Brie is now with Jon, who just so happens to be looking for soldiers. I could very much see a "old world clans unite" to take down all these new names trying to steal the spotlight. The Church in Kings Landing, Frey trying to take parts of Riverun, Ramsay and the Boltons hold over the North. Anyway, it'll be curious to see if they actually build up the Church and Crown combo to be an empire worthy of seeing crumble before Dany gets over. 

I thought it was a great episode, so many fun things going on behind the main shit. Before I get into that though:

- Arya's progression was mint. This episode was the solid boot in the ass her storyline needed. I'm curious as to how she's supposed to outrun a magical group of assassins her whole life, but it's been suggested her killing the waif might "settle the score." Dunno if I buy it, but I suppose it would work.

- Sam's family dinner was also lovely. I'm curious now if he's even going to bother with the Citadel/Oldtown at all now, or if he's just going to hightail it back to the Wall with his brand new WW slayer, perhaps with his father's army in pursuit.

- BENJEN IS BACK SWEEY BABY JESUS

- BRAN'S VISIONS WERE OFF THE CHAIN! We got to see the Mad Kingslaying, Bran learns the manner of his entire family's death, and, the most neat in my mind, I think he saw future King's Landing being leveled by wildfire! The bit with Drogon's shadow over the city (again), and now the underground wildfire caches going off (which doesn't seemed to have happened during the Lannister Sack), plus Dany's old vision of her walking through an ashy throne room, tells me that Dany might inadvertently burn down the city when she arrives. I could also mention that the books have given similar hints that this might happen, though those hints seem to favour Cersei being ultimately responsible for it.

- I actually thought Dany's bit was the weakest part of the episode, but she seems to have full control of her dragon now so I don't mind.

Episode was solid but not amazing. Not every episode can be super action packed. I agree with @Mr. Power on King's Landing. I have always been the most interested in the happenings at King's Landing, and I think everyone expected a full out war but instead we got the interesting switch of Tommen now being converted to the faith. Whether Margary is actually converted or just playing along to get out of a sticky situation remains to be seen. Also, I loved Mace Tyrell's speech before he led the troops into the city, it was very Mace - like 

• Admin

CLEGANEBOWL

GET HYPE

6 minutes ago, Victor said:

CLEGANEBOWL

GET HYPE

Watch after all this hype, you instead just see the two broken and destroyed brothers hug it out and make peace. That would be one of the best trolls of all time. :P 

Episode was pretty solid, mostly a building episode. As was pretty much obvious, Jon and Sansa working on building the super team to stop Ramsay and then unite against the white walkers. I like this thematic idea that the North seems to be some of the only people who understand the actual dangers beyond the wall. Everyone else in King's Landing and even the foreigners running the north are all "meh, don't believe it, who gives a fuck." With Theon and his sister now heading to see Dany, which I think is a very intriguing pairing, I'm curious if Dany is only interested in conquering King's Landing. If so, given Theon helped Sansa and appears to be on good terms with the Starks, if that leads to some sort of even greater super team featuring Jon and his wildlings and Dany and dragons and dothraki and unsullied. I mean if that is the case, the end battle between all that and all the fucking white walkers is going to be some of the most epic size and scale of a battle ever. 

The Arya storyline continues to be the best in the show though. What I initially thought would be a very tried "pupil becomes the master" story, turned more into this inner struggle, and ultimately you seeing the real consequences of all the decisions she's made lead up to this. Sure she needed to make all these choices to find out that she was ready and willing to go back to Westeros, but the price she has had to pay across the board really feels more complete now. They have handled her arc with a very delicate thumb, as it moved way more slowly than most other stories save for maybe Bran. But curious now how far they go down the road of her injuries/if she maybe even dies, or if she somehow recovers and then finds her way back to Westeros. I also shouldn't discount the possibility that Bravos usually is a stop on the way to get to Dany, so we could see her run into Theon and sister, and help bridge that connection even more. Seems like everyone who has any sense in the world is pretty much on team fuck the Lannisters + their allies and fuck the white walkers. 

Also, Jons speech to the wildlings, oh god give me more of that please. And Davos speech to the Mormont Queen, again...feed that shit. Some epic inspirational stuff there. One thing I like about the Thrones writers and always have is when they need to be a bit more proper and deliver those typical cliched moments they do it with a great sense of purpose and reality. It's stuff like that which helps keep everything so grounded. 

Oh also, the Cersei development may actually bring her into an interesting role again. Honestly her arc has felt so lost to me for seasons. What was the whole point of the atonement stuff? It didn't grow her character, it didn't help her adopt or evolve to a changing universe. She is starting to remind me of late stage Stannis, or late stage Tywin for that matter. A very clever character who eventually blinds themselves with too much emotion, passion, and doesn't actually see what has changed. I wouldn't be surprised to see the end of Cersei this season. I really one hundred percent feel like if anyone of the Lannisters not named Tyrion is to be left standing and get some sort of redemption it'll probably be Jamie. His character at least grew somewhat post his traumatic time with Brie in Season 2. 

17 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

lol @Mr. Power Cersei is nowhere close to being a very clever character

Lies. Listen she may not be as clever or in the same way as Tywin, however to discredit her cunning, and deception tactics would be a disservice to some of the good character work they have accomplished with her. Sadly though it appears that was more of a thing in Season 1-4. Remember she helped manipulate Ned's death, Red Wedding, leveraging Tyrion to steal credit for the Kings Landing failed siege. Even Oberon she had a hand in manipulating the situation so he would eventually die.

However she's been so off her game with the High Sparrow. Instead of recognising him as the threat he is, something get character has historically been great at, she was used abused, discarded and now behaves like a spoiled monarch losing control gripping tighter even though she knows that is only going to make it worse. Her conversation with the Queen of Thorns highlighted that well. Even as a viewer it was a moment of like, yeah Cersei, you should of known it was over by now.

Even if fear tactics and civil war divide the city, the High Sparrows religion and views have enough support and followers that your never getting rid of them. Considering a big theme of that push has been about empowering the common man as well, the old pure power fear ways of King's Landing are dead, and won't be coming back again. 

It's why I feel she is going to die. Her character arc very much represents Stannnis, Tywin, even Ned in a way. A cunning character in their own way, who represents the ideals of the old Westeros. However not clever enough to understand the constant changes in front of her, her dedication to now antiquated ideals and over commitment to emotion could mean the end of her. 

For Ned, his primary issue was not accepting the old rules of Heirs. Had he supported Renly, he wouldn't of been betrayed. Tywin was more arrogance, and under estimation for how much damage he had done to Tyrion. But he was still attached to older ideals about family lineage and legacy. Had the Lannisters regrouped, acknowledged who and what they actually are, and worked together they'd still have complete control over Kings Landing. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Mr. Power said:

Remember she helped manipulate Ned's death

No, she slightly manipulated his downfall and even then it was almost entirely down to what Baelish wanted to do. Not exactly a safe bet.

Ned wouldn't have been executed if Joffrey wasn't a fuckhead.

Red Wedding

I can understand the one above, but how do you reach this conclusion? That was all Tywin.

leveraging Tyrion to steal credit for the Kings Landing failed siege

what

If you actually objectively look at the fact she has no subtlety and can only kill people pretty much directly (see Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon), it's really not hard to see how she thought she was as clever as Tywin and thought she was a genius manipulating the High Sparrow.

Tyrion took away all of her power in as much time as the Sparrow and was only undermined by Tywin. The show's made a few illogical moves but Cersei has hardly ever had much of an arc.

• Admin

Today was in fact of Tywin nostalgia. Fuck this man was terrifying.

wktqWv5.jpg

More importantly, I love the fact Jaime is now wearing his armour.

tywin-lannister-500x280.pngmwy2t0mze6wvn4ql0-ailr2lgvihgzqr-large.j

Whole conversation with Blackfish definitely had undertones of Tywin and Jaime tbh. That generation (Tywin, Brynden, Randyll Tully) is savage.

@Mr. Power perhaps I missed this part, how did she help with the Red Wedding?

All I know is she could not keep Joffrey in check at all when Tyrion could, allowed Joffrey to behead Ned and start a two-front war. She is awful with PR as all of the poor hate her, and her doing nothing to address that was part of the King's landing riot (meanwhile Margary puts on PR for the poor). She also had plans to have the wildfire launched from inside the city, which very easily could have turned into a disaster when a mistake was made. 

On 07/06/2016 at 6:49 PM, eaglesfan036 said:

@Mr. Power perhaps I missed this part, how did she help with the Red Wedding?

All I know is she could not keep Joffrey in check at all when Tyrion could, allowed Joffrey to behead Ned and start a two-front war. She is awful with PR as all of the poor hate her, and her doing nothing to address that was part of the King's landing riot (meanwhile Margary puts on PR for the poor). She also had plans to have the wildfire launched from inside the city, which very easily could have turned into a disaster when a mistake was made. 

She played roles in all of the Lannisters dealings really. Do you guys forget how she used to leverage her actual compassion for her children to manipulate information out of many characters who would later go on to be murdered?

I'm not saying she is as clever as Tywin. Only that she does have some cunning and her number one skill that she always used to stay alive/one step ahead has been knowing her enemies and what they were capable of. Ned/Starks, the small council/other people leveraging for the Throne. Oberon even. But she has been on this spiral of either random trusting people with power or being played by Martel's/High Sparrow. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2016 at 3:29 PM, Victor said:

If you actually objectively look at the fact she has no subtlety and can only kill people pretty much directly (see Jon Arryn, Robert Baratheon)

Littlefinger and Lysa killed Jon Arryn. 

Cersei is a shit show however. She is good at being vicious and using her feminism to manipulate people (Sansa, Lancel, Jaime even), but those are her only cards. This season is showing what happens when those two cards are taken from her, which is why she's falling apart. 

In other news, BotB tomorrow GET HYPE PLZ DON'T LET TORMUND DIE