2017-2018 NHL Discussion

boubabi

1 hour ago, diamond_ace said:

I have 1 and 2 flipped but those two can go in either order really (and they should make an interesting finals series). Rest of it matches exactly

Yeah thats the only one I would've flipped as well. Overall I think I'll be pretty happy for whatever team wins this year

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Yeah thats the only one I would've flipped as well. Overall I think I'll be pretty happy for whatever team wins this year

I’m just happy it’s not the Pens, Kings, or Hawks. Been getting really bored of the same teams winning this entire decade.

22 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I’m just happy it’s not the Pens, Kings, or Hawks. Been getting really bored of the same teams winning this entire decade.

That and the Bruins doing anything remotely around winning. NYR I don't care about as much because:

1. They suck

2. They only build through free agency

3. They always go far and fail anyways

4. Their in NY, it couldn't get worse. (maybe if they moved to Cleveland it could).

On 5/9/2018 at 9:04 PM, diamond_ace said:

So I was watching a youtube video of a guy playing NHL 18 franchise mode, and he just looked up Brock Boeser as a potential trade partner. I've seen the name Bo Boeser around here so much that Brock Boeser looked weird to me. The fake guy looked right, the real guy looked wrong.

:lol::lol:

Sometimes in conversation I accidentally say Bo Boeser. I've kind of gotten used to just calling him Brockstar now though, to avoid mixing it up.

So, should I make a future player named Brock Horvat? :P  ALready have Bo Boeser. Every time I say Bo Boeser I think Bulbasaur..

I really hope the Caps go all the way. If it's Winnipeg, then so be it. Winnipeg can bring the cup back to Canada, and that would be great for Canadians. Although, I don't know what all the fuss is about people wanting Canada to win a cup so bad....

All the teams, especially cup winners are full of Canadian players. THere's only 7 Canadian teams out of 31 so what the hell do people expect?

Washington won today too. Held Tampa to 10 shots after 2 periods...although Tampa came back a bit in the 3rd and made it 4-2. They don't even have Backstrom yet either. Once Backstrom and Wilson come back it's going to be fun. I expect Tampa to win Game 2 though.

• Commissioner
On 5/14/2018 at 2:25 AM, Gooningitup said:

Washingon has been amazing im having a heart attack. Never had any expectations especially the way we started the playoffs. Now were 2 games from the finals

I’m telling you, all they had to do was get out of their own heads by beating Pittsburgh.

Personally I’m pulling for Winnipeg right now. As much as I love the Vegas storyline this season I can’t deny that Canada needs a win after 25 seasons. I’d be okay with anyone but TB though.

13 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I’m telling you, all they had to do was get out of their own heads by beating Pittsburgh.

Personally I’m pulling for Winnipeg right now. As much as I love the Vegas storyline this season I can’t deny that Canada needs a win after 25 seasons. I’d be okay with anyone but TB though.

Yeah, I think the face on Ovechkin following the Pens win tells the story. I know @diamond_ace had the hot take that they thought the job was done. But that is so far from the truth. No fans, and none of the team thought that was the case. The entire LR was saying they were only halfway done and a big reason their approach has been better this year is because they don't even focus on any of that. It's one game, at a time, do your best to win the game. 

But as a longtime Caps fan, the thing our core group of players have struggled so much with is the confidence to think they could get it done in the playoffs. Beating the Pens wasn't a "hey we are arrogant we have won." It was just a relief, regardless of what happens now the narrative has changed. When you get stuck in a rut for so long it eventually starts to make you question how good you actually are, but anybody would be a fool to think that the Caps teams of previous weren't also good. The NHL is simply highly competitive and has pretty solid parity imo. 

Also the team game they have bee playing has been stellar. It's still early in this series, anything can still happen, but the last 4-5 games they have played have for the most part been some of the best stellar full team effort hockey they have played. You'll win hockey games like that, pure and simple. 

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Devise said:

But as a longtime Caps fan, the thing our core group of players have struggled so much with is the confidence to think they could get it done in the playoffs.

The last episode I worked on actually was about Eric Belanger who was on the caps team when they lost in 7 to the Canadiens in the first round. He came onto the team partway through the season (deadline I think) with another guy (Scott Walker) and they both felt the same way when they got there: Either the team was going to win the Stanley Cup or lose in the first round. Apparently with the years that Ovie and Backstrom had (among others) they were just way over-confident and didn’t believe they could lose. So once Montreal started to come back in the series they didn’t know how to handle it and completely broke down.

51 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Ive been watching the caps since 1988 lol ive been so used to let downs and bad teams. Watching powerhouses fall just kinda seems to be what i do. Team Russia, Captials, Russian National soccer team lol. After how we came out against Columbus i thought it was over already

48 minutes ago, Devise said:

Yeah, I think the face on Ovechkin following the Pens win tells the story. I know @diamond_ace had the hot take that they thought the job was done. But that is so far from the truth. No fans, and none of the team thought that was the case. The entire LR was saying they were only halfway done and a big reason their approach has been better this year is because they don't even focus on any of that. It's one game, at a time, do your best to win the game. 

But as a longtime Caps fan, the thing our core group of players have struggled so much with is the confidence to think they could get it done in the playoffs. Beating the Pens wasn't a "hey we are arrogant we have won." It was just a relief, regardless of what happens now the narrative has changed. When you get stuck in a rut for so long it eventually starts to make you question how good you actually are, but anybody would be a fool to think that the Caps teams of previous weren't also good. The NHL is simply highly competitive and has pretty solid parity imo. 

Also the team game they have bee playing has been stellar. It's still early in this series, anything can still happen, but the last 4-5 games they have played have for the most part been some of the best stellar full team effort hockey they have played. You'll win hockey games like that, pure and simple. 

You guys have been surprising me so far this series

So who else is excited for the draft? As long a MB doesn't fuck up and do something dumb (trade) the Habs should get an elite prospect.

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Zadina

4. Hughes

5. Boqvist

6. Dobson

7. Wahlstrom

8. Tkachuk

9. Kotkaniemi 

10. Bouchard

Hughes and Zadina are very close for me. Hughes is such an insane skater.

4 minutes ago, Tyler said:

So who else is excited for the draft? As long a MB doesn't fuck up and do something dumb (trade) the Habs should get an elite prospect.

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Zadina

4. Hughes

5. Boqvist

6. Dobson

7. Wahlstrom

8. Tkachuk

9. Kotkaniemi 

10. Bouchard

Hughes and Zadina are very close for me. Hughes is such an insane skater.

No way Tkachuk falls to 8 lol hes a concensus top 5 pick. If huges goes 4th ottawa fucked up lol

1 hour ago, Gooningitup said:

No way Tkachuk falls to 8 lol hes a concensus top 5 pick. If huges goes 4th ottawa fucked up lol

Tkachuk is alright but this is my personal ranking not a mock. I think he's going to be a decent player I just wonder how high his ceiling is. I think Hughes is the best defender after Dahlin. He's such a great skater.

7 hours ago, Tyler said:

Tkachuk is alright but this is my personal ranking not a mock. I think he's going to be a decent player I just wonder how high his ceiling is. I think Hughes is the best defender after Dahlin. He's such a great skater.

I'm also not sold on Tkachuk. Yes he will be a solid player but I see him topping out at 60 points a season or maybe close to a Blake Wheeler level (without the leadership qualities). Hughes is showing that he is a strong player.

Zadina reminds me of Patrik Elias a little bit

10 hours ago, Kendrick said:

I'm also not sold on Tkachuk. Yes he will be a solid player but I see him topping out at 60 points a season or maybe close to a Blake Wheeler level (without the leadership qualities). Hughes is showing that he is a strong player.

:wub::wub::wub: 

Thank god for Patrik Elias

12 hours ago, Kendrick said:

Hmmm yeah I see the Wheeler/Tkachuk comparison. 

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

Think Wheeler, but annoying as hell and cocky.

Yeah I can see him being an important player for a team I just wonder if he can ever drive an offense like Zadina and Svechnikov can IMO. I even like Wahlstrom more then him but I think Tkahcuk will go ahead of him in the draft.

Hughes/Boqvist are two prospects I keep wanting the Habs to take. Boqvist is inconsistent but when he is on he's insane. Great shot maybe one of the best of the draft in terms of wrist shots. Hughes will make Habs fans finally forget about Subban. Very similar player. Amazing skater, great instincts offensively but his shot is not that good. Hughes can be a top 4 defenseman by next season and he would be deadly with his brother after next season.

1 minute ago, Tyler said:

Yeah I can see him being an important player for a team I just wonder if he can ever drive an offense like Zadina and Svechnikov can IMO. I even like Wahlstrom more then him but I think Tkahcuk will go ahead of him in the draft.

Hughes/Boqvist are two prospects I keep wanting the Habs to take. Boqvist is inconsistent but when he is on he's insane. Great shot maybe one of the best of the draft in terms of wrist shots. Hughes will make Habs fans finally forget about Subban. Very similar player. Amazing skater, great instincts offensively but his shot is not that good. Hughes can be a top 4 defenseman by next season and he would be deadly with his brother after next season.

Hughes kind of reminds me of Seth Jones the way he moves with the puck and how he protects it

8 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Hughes kind of reminds me of Seth Jones the way he moves with the puck and how he protects it

Yeah. He lacks size but has maybe the second highest ceiling in the entire draft.