Old boys club

Gooningitup

So im going to expand on this more, next week in my media piece, but this is what i said in New York LR. And how the old boys club is leading to some of the issues we face today. 

Oh im not saying changing Davos to Moscow is going to fix our league. What im saying is it the mentality that, well exactly what you said STZ its worked for so long why isnt it working now.

I think a big issue now with this league is it was made in a time where, people worked harder. This generations all about speed. Sitting and writting 500 words to us is nothing, but to a younger generation they dont have that attention span. 

Ontop of that 2 prominent members of this league are trolls, in Kendrick and Boubai that reflects poorly when you see the graphics head, or a BOG member flat out insulting someone on the forum. 

We need to get out of this hey it worked for so long mentality and figure out new ideas, contraction when every other league is expanding is awful.

• Commissioner

I can assure you that the mindset right now is not “let’s save the history at all costs.” In fact it’s one of the lower priorities. Hell I’m as much part of the “old boys club” as anyone having been here 10 seasons and my suggestions during the drive included a record book reset. We’re trying to make the league better but there are a lot of things in place already that can’t be easily undone necessarily without causing ripple effects. It’s less about preserving what has worked and more about making sure things can continue to work while we sort other things out. Changes are coming, I promise.

Just now, hedgehog337 said:

You put their nicknames together. Shitstorm incoming.

I already said and prolly not only me that younger members are needed here. Even a reddit <18 y.o. trolls, for at least sparking some activity.

Trolls are fine if they dont hold serious power. You can ignore them, but if theg have power yes you can ignore them, but it reflects bad on the league as a whole.

Just now, Beketov said:

I can assure you that the mindset right now is not “let’s save the history at all costs.” In fact it’s one of the lower priorities. Hell I’m as much part of the “old boys club” as anyone having been here 10 seasons and my suggestions during the drive included a record book reset. We’re trying to make the league better but there are a lot of things in place already that can’t be easily undone necessarily without causing ripple effects. It’s less about preserving what has worked and more about making sure things can continue to work while we sort other things out. Changes are coming, I promise.

Oh i dont doubt changes are coming its just more me pointing out some of the other issues i see with why we are regressing when everyone else seems to be growing 

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Gooningitup said:

Oh i dont doubt changes are coming its just more me pointing out some of the other issues i see with why we are regressing when everyone else seems to be growing 

I have agreed with you on that for months. Trust me I’ve been fighting on your side. Eventually though the argument that “everyone else is growing” so why can’t we is a moot statement because we aren’t: simple as that. Think of it like a company re-structuring. In order to avoid closing their doors they downsize slightly so that they can come back stronger later. 10 teams aren’t necessarily feasible right now.

And yes, there are other issues and they are being addressed.

Just now, Beketov said:

I have agreed with you on that for months. Trust me I’ve been fighting on your side. Eventually though the argument that “everyone else is growing” so why can’t we is a moot statement because we aren’t: simple as that. Think of it like a company re-structuring. In order to avoid closing their doors they downsize slightly so that they can come back stronger later. 10 teams aren’t necessarily feasible right now.

And yes, there are other issues and they are being addressed.

If contraction ends up helping us grow in the long run im all for it. Id rather lose out now, then not fix anything and lose this fun place. Im here more than SHL for the reason ive built good albiet fake friends here 

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

If contraction ends up helping us grow in the long run im all for it. Id rather lose out now, then not fix anything and lose this fun place. Im here more than SHL for the reason ive built good albiet fake friends here 

Precisely. As it stands we can’t continue with the path we are on. If that means we need to make some drastic choices we will make them.

Except...I don't insult people personally at all. In fact even when insulted myself, I don't attack them personally. Just because you disagree with me on things doesn't make me a troll. I've always been bold with my opinion like Sterling, only difference is that he doesn't always speak. Think you may want to learn the difference between trolling and difference of opinion.

May I interject here? This may be out of context but I'd like to given my as a new gamer.

Now one of the things at may be a problem from my perspective is that since a lot of you members have longevity in the game, this can give some an air of entitlement. And with that a change in attitude.

Those that feel this way need to think back when they first started playing this game. You are going to find all levels of experience here, and this can be applied to life in general as well. It all boils down to understanding, respect and a positive attitude towards others. 

Being a hell of a lot older than pretty much all of you, I've had a hard time adjusting to playing this game as I'm not tech savvy like most here. I found myself feeling alienated due to my complete lack of knowledge on some of the simplest tasks in this game. I was ignored on previous occasions with no response to my email inquiries, I've had complaints about my way of tpe updating/graphics and I was being teased for a little period.

I took none of this to heart or was upset but thought, "Maybe it's time to leave". As I don't have lots of time and maybe I'm wasting it here then. But some members stepped forward and offered their assistance and were understanding/patient, so I decided to push on. And I'm still here. This game isn't going to grow unless everyone bands together as a positive cohesive unit. Constant infighting won't help.

So I was leaving because of negativity but stayed on because of positivity. Keep an open mind, be respectful to each other and have a positive attitude to work with each other and to make this a game grow.

3 hours ago, Beketov said:

Precisely. As it stands we can’t continue with the path we are on. If that means we need to make some drastic choices we will make them.

We should drop 4 teams at least, with a quick look - there was 4 teams who used only one forward line last season. Then after that multiple teams had only two lines of forwards, so there is a lot of space in rosters both in offense and in defense, even after getting rid of 4 teams.

5 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

We should drop 4 teams at least, with a quick look - there was 4 teams who used only one forward line last season. Then after that multiple teams had only two lines of forwards, so there is a lot of space in rosters both in offense and in defense, even after getting rid of 4 teams.

I mean not that drastic. Not every GM would be interested to step down and playing only three opponents isn't interesting.

7 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

Having 6 teams in a league is boring. Just saying

Just now, hedgehog337 said:

I mean not that drastic. Not every GM would be interested to step down and playing only three opponents isn't interesting.

It´s not, but gotta start from somewhere. Tight and close league is a lot better than what we have now. I´m sure the GMs who have to step down can find assistant GM role for example or another job around VHL.

Just now, Kendrick said:

In my opinion it´s not, would almost guarantee mean and tight regular season with tight playoff spot battle. Create bigger rivalries between teams and in general a lot healthier league with bigger rosters and more active LRs.

Just now, jRuutu said:

In my opinion it´s not, would almost guarantee mean and tight regular season with tight playoff spot battle. Create bigger rivalries between teams and in general a lot healthier league with bigger rosters and more active LRs.

Going from 10 to 8 would be a start, but not down to 6 when we have 9 GM's that are fully committed

Just now, jRuutu said:

It´s not, but gotta start from somewhere. Tight and close league is a lot better than what we have now. I´m sure the GMs who have to step down can find assistant GM role for example or another job around VHL.

1 minute ago, Kendrick said:

See? I'm not the only who thinks 4 teams is too boring. And it would be pain in the ass for the blue team to select teams to cut and then convince it's GM's to not pull a meltdown.

2 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

Going from 10 to 8 would be a start, but not down to 6 when we have 9 GM's that are fully committed

But what if we just simply don´t have players for 8 teams? Is there any point to keep team with barely even 1 line of players in VHL? Because I will be surprised if few teams wont be just like that after dropping 2 teams.

2 minutes ago, hedgehog337 said:

See? I'm not the only who thinks 4 teams is too boring. And it would be pain in the ass for the blue team to select teams to cut and then convince it's GM's to not pull a meltdown.

Why not create 6 new teams then? ;)

2 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

But what if we just simply don´t have players for 8 teams? Is there any point to keep team with barely even 1 line of players in VHL? Because I will be surprised if few teams wont be just like that after dropping 2 teams.

If we cut Calgary and Stockholm thats about 14 players to divide up over 8 teams. Plus the ones on the fence in the VHLM, you have two new players for each team. It's a start and putting our efforts towards that would be best, instead of arguing over whether we go down to 6 teams so quickly.