Mississauga Hounds Press Conference

Gustav

Hey there Hounds! This thread, yes, this one right here, is where I'll be posting questions for all of you to answer every week. To find the latest set of questions, go all the way back to the last page of the thread and scroll down--everything here is chronological. Answer three questions for 1 capped TPE, or six questions for 2 capped! Let's make it a good season, and most importantly, GO HOUNDS!

Welcome to the first-ever Mississauga Hounds press conference! I'm excited to get the year going. WITHOUT FURTHER ADO...

1. Did you think you'd be going to Mississauga? Why or why not?

2. Do you like this team so far? 

3. What type of player do you plan on building?

4. Give a shout-out to one member of this league who you think did the most to help you get started here. 

5. Do you think we have a shot at winning it all? Who do you think will be toughest to beat?

6. Call it right now--if you're a skater, how many points will you have this season? For our goalie, what will your save percentage be?

@Rayzor_7 @HulkHogan @No_Dangles @cody73 @GlowyGoat @DoktorFunk @mmarcoux98 @SweetMike666 @maximlab

13 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Welcome to the first-ever Mississauga Hounds press conference! I'm excited to get the year going. WITHOUT FURTHER ADO...

4. Give a shout-out to one member of this league who you think did the most to help you get started here. 

5. Do you think we have a shot at winning it all? Who do you think will be toughest to beat?

6. Call it right now--if you're a skater, how many points will you have this season? For our goalie, what will your save percentage be?

@Rayzor_7 @HulkHogan @No_Dangles @cody73 @GlowyGoat @DoktorFunk @mmarcoux98 @SweetMike666 @maximlab

1. There was some buzzing from other prospective teams so I wasn't very sure where I would end up. I knew that Mississauga had some interest in me but I had zero expectations when it came to where I would end up.
  2. Absolutely, seems like we're getting a good locker room going, just trying to find my place haha
  3. My player is built upon the idea of a quik 2-way forward; Gles is supposed to be responsible with the puck and focus on puck movement out of our defensive zone. That being said, he likely has the capability of being a solid defenseman as well.
  4. I would have to say @GustavMattias was actually the player who really got me going in the VHLM so it's very interesting that he ended up drafting me.
  5. There's no doubt in my mind that this team can win it. I sure am ready to practice up and build this team into a contender.
  6. My player has a defensive build, maybe my player can end up being point per game depending on ice time? I'm really not sure about that one.

45 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

1. I had heard rumours of who was going to draft me but with so many teams needing goalies I was never sure.

2. Team seems to have a good environment around it. I'm quite happy with how everything is.

3. Well not many options for me as a goalie but all I can say is I will play to win.

4.  I'll just give a shout out to everyone on discord. Every person there wants to help you out.

5. I think everyone has a shot this year thanks to the depth of the recent draft. I think we are a playoff team at least.

6. I want to break .900% this season but that will be a tough thing to do.

1 hour ago, GustavMattias said:

1. I had a strong feeling it was going to be Mississauga. @GustavMattias was one of only a few GMs that message me. He was very helpful and I got the sense he wanted new players to succeed!

2. I really like the team so far! Everyone has been very nice and warm! I think we're going to turn this league upside down!

3. I plan on building a very offensive forward. I want to try to lead the VHLM in goals, so we're gonna see what happens!

4. It would have to be a tie between @GustavMattias and @Radcow! Both were very welcoming and helpful in getting me set up and answering questions that I had!

5. I don't know enough about the teams to have an accurate idea, but I know I plan on trying my hardest to win the big one! They probably will all be tough to beat, but nothing worth winning is easy to win!

6. I'm going to have 65 goals and 120 points this season. Let's go!!

Edited by DoktorFunk

3 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

1. I knew that Mississauga was interested after speaking with their GM prior to the draft. Anything can happen during the draft, and I am glad I ended up where I did.

2. I like this group of guys already. A lot of heart and excitement evident in the first meetings. Seems like everyone is going to give extra effort for the team. Young and Hungry.

3. I am planning on establishing myself as a power forward. I’ve always had an eye for big hits and deflections out front.

4. Has to be the GM himself ( @GustavMattias ). It is nuts to think that he reached out within 5 minutes of my account being created and answered questions through my first few days. And somehow the draft fell so that I ended up here.

5. Every team has a shot at winning it all. The team that plays with the most heart from top to bottom of the lineup will win it. Everything I have seen so far, so yeah I’d put us as a contender. There is a lot of talent in this league, every game will be hard fought. It is more important to play our game and when we are on, I doubt anyone can keep up.

6. I would like to have at least 30 points this season personally. If I miss this target, I will be disappointed. It’s very achievable with some hard work.

21 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

1. I had no idea but I am glad that I was drafted by the Hounds.

2. Haven`t seen much but I like thus far.

3. I want to be a fast skating offensive defenseman that can play on both ends.

4. My best friend @FrostBeard showed me this league and has helped me tremendously. 

5. I think we can do it. Every team will be a challenge for us. 

6. I hope to get at least 20 points.

On 4/29/2019 at 2:24 PM, GustavMattias said:

1. I never expected to get drafted and offered a contract so quickly, but I am glad that I ended up here.

2. Yes, everyone is keen to help the new guy in the locker room and that type of team camaraderie will help in the long run.

3. A fast skating center designed to break through the defense and release the puck with blistering speed and accuracy , as well being reliable in the dot to win those big Face-offs when needed.

4. Definitely @GustavMattias. Received a message within 5 minutes of creating an account and helped me out with explaining everything to get extra TPE

5. Any team has a shot at the title before the season starts, but being a new team it will take a lot of hard work and teamwork to make it to the playoffs.

6. I'd be happy with 40-50 (being my first season I dont really know how everything is simmed, but I hope to make an impact)

On 4/29/2019 at 5:24 PM, GustavMattias said:

1. Honestly I knew none of the teams when I first got here, but once offers started rolling in Mississauga seemed to be the organization that not only was genuinely interested in having me but was also clear about their expectations of me. So to answer the original question, I guess I would say no but yes.

2. Absolutely. I was immediately welcomed in and accepted by the entire team, so even though I've been here for less than a day I'm already feeling connected to everyone.

3. I'm looking to become more of a team-oriented playmaker. I've never been the kind of player to make every headline, but I want to be a presence on the ice that makes my teammates look better.

4. Two people actually, the GM @GustavMattias and @GlowyGoat. The GM of course for welcoming me into this team, and Glowy for really helping me to understand the different player attributes and how to best get my desired build.

5. I know we're a new team but I feel like we got pieces on this team to surprise some people. As for the toughest team, I'm rather unfamiliar with the other teams but seeing as Minnesota are the defending champs they seem like they're gonna be one of the top dogs this year.

6. I'd expect a minimum of 20-25 points, and even that I wouldn't be too satisfied with. My goal for this first season is gonna be to reach 40, with my stretch being surpassing 60.

I had 0 idea where I was going to go and was a bit surprised tl be taken by you guys, but I'm grateful for the chance here. 

Team seems nice, you seem like a great GM.... no complaints so far. Let's hope the good team mojo off the ice translates to the sim. 

A power forward that can also fill up the net. Think Pat Verbeek, Brenden Shanahan, Keith Tkachuk, or if you care to get more modern, Blake Wheeler. 

@Thranduil is the guy I'd point to. He took me in last year and I played hard for the 21st, and helped me create the beast you see today. 

I'd have to take a real glance at our roster, but we do have one of the best goalies in the VHLM.... if he can shut things down & me & my teammates rack up the points, I don't see why not. 

My goal is to hit a minimum of 50, but I'm hoping for a 80 point year (Roughly 50 goals, 30 assists). 

For the week of 5/5-5/12:

1. The team made a few free agent signings this past week (Alexander Shaw and Jacob Rogers, to name two). How do you feel about this?

2. What are your thoughts on our current lack of defensive depth? Is this a concern? Can management be trusted?

3. Rumors have arisen about a possible rivalry of ours with Mexico City. Anything you'd like to say to @Nykonax and the Kings?

4. If you had to sign for any VHLM team other than the Hounds, right now, and they all wanted you, where would you be and why?

5. Likewise, if you had to choose any one VHL team to be drafted by, who would it be?

6. @Rayzor_7 posted a VSN article recently in which he argues that the Hounds had the worst draft out of all 3 VHLM expansion teams. Do you think this is fair? Why or why not?

(sorry Rayzor)

@Rayzor_7 @HulkHogan @No_Dangles @GlowyGoat @DoktorFunk @cody73 @mmarcoux98 @raghas @NavyCanuck @SweetMike666 @berocka @maximlab

1 minute ago, GustavMattias said:

3. Rumors have arisen about a possible rivalry of ours with Mexico City. Anything you'd like to say to @Nykonax and the Kings?

Well, they are definitely the better team. I mean their GM is just outstanding, better than the terrible Mississauga one

1 hour ago, GustavMattias said:

1. The team made a few free agent signings this past week (Alexander Shaw and Jacob Rogers, to name two). How do you feel about this?

2. What are your thoughts on our current lack of defensive depth? Is this a concern? Can management be trusted?

4. If you had to sign for any VHLM team other than the Hounds, right now, and they all wanted you, where would you be and why?

5. Likewise, if you had to choose any one VHL team to be drafted by, who would it be?

6. @Rayzor_7 posted a VSN article recently in which he argues that the Hounds had the worst draft out of all 3 VHLM expansion teams. Do you think this is fair? Why or why not?

(sorry Rayzor)

@Rayzor_7 @HulkHogan @No_Dangles @GlowyGoat @DoktorFunk @cody73 @mmarcoux98 @raghas @NavyCanuck @SweetMike666 @berocka @maximlab

1. I'm particularly fond of the Jacob Rogers acquisition. I feel as though the completion of the rookie profile and the biography are good indicators of a level of commitment to the VHLM. Likewise, we were lacking at RW depth. Alexander Shaw could be a clutch acquisition as well.
  2. I'm not too concerned about acquiring another defenseman but I am afraid that any D-man acquisitions from here on out may not be that active. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. Still have faith tho
  3. A rivalry suggests that there's a degree of competition between the two teams, does it not? Apparently it doesn't.
  4. Yeah no, if it isn't here it's free agency for me, committed to the cause.
  5. I don't know much about these other teams but I'd have to go Moscow Menace. I would love to try and be a cornerstone for a rebuilding team.
  6. It's definitely tough losing both a second and a fourth to trade up to get Rayzor. Although he'll be sick for the team I think that's ultimately what has resulted in the lack of defensive depth so I guess we'll see.

3 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

(sorry Rayzor)

Rayz Funk answers the press conference questions.

1. The free agents were good pickups. Both players show strong 2nd year potential which I don't think I'll be around for unless I get hurt.

2. Depth at D is a league wide issue. Our management has made it clear they intend to work on it. This could sting a lot of teams but I trust our GM and AGM

3. Traded up past me and then pick a forward as an expansion? Get real, they are not a rival and don't have the brains in management to get good enough for a rivalry.

4. Probably Philly, they seem to be clear cup contenders. With only one shot at this here I'd like to go for broke.

5. VHL I'd just like the starting role for anyone. I know it would be tough but I wouldn't mind the experience.

6. Quality of picks I think we had the best. Our "weakness" came from our GM making moves to secure me losing a couple picks. Which I greatly appreciate.

9 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

(sorry Rayzor)

1. As one of those signings I am happy to be here, and eager to help this team be successful in the Regular season and hopefully make a playoff push.

2. It could be concerning if an injury were to happen. I trust that management is actively looking into the situation and that any what or ifs will be solved. 

3. I don't think we will know until we play them. Though with all of the talk I'm sure that our first game against them will be spirited.

4. I'm just happy to have signed with a team. As a new player I am still unfamiliar with the league, so I dont really have any comment about any other teams. I just know that I want to perform and produce for the Hounds.

5. Vancouver. It's every kids dream to play for their hometown in the big leagues.

6. The quality of our players will make up for the lack of depth in certain positions, and the signing of myself and Rogers should help us get over any adversity that we fill face this season.

9 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

(sorry Rayzor)

1. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. I welcome the opportunity to work with other rookie players, and I hope we can all grow together!

2. The defensive depth is a little concerning, but I believe in management. This is a new team, and the kinks need to be worked out. Once all the wrinkles are ironed out, this team will be one to pay attention to. Also, Hogan always goes over, brother.

3.The Mexico City Kings and we are brand new teams, but, despite that, we both already have rabid fan bases. I welcome the opportunity for any drama and rivalry, because that will make our team better in the long run. That said, @Nykonax is about to find out how uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. The MCK are going down. 

4. I'd probably go for San Diego. I hear it's a wonderful city, and I just really want to be part of an expansion team!

5. Likewise, I'd love to go to Seattle, and bears are one of my favorite animals! 

6. I think we may have had one of the riskier drafts, and @GustavMattias's strategy is bold, but I think it will pay off. Opting to go for a solid goaltender and building from there will pay off in spades.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:55 PM, GustavMattias said:

(sorry Rayzor)

1. It's always great when you can improve the team without giving up assets. Regardless of the signed players performance, it lights a fire under the rest of us to continue to fight for our spot in the roster. 
  2. Defensive depth is always a concern. I have faith in our management to make good decisions, and in our goalie core and defense to keep the puck out of the net. It will take a team effort, but if the forwards back check and chip in a few more, we can really help out our defense.
  3. I think it's great to have a rival always pushing you to be better. It would be even better for the rivalry to play in the playoffs or in some games that have playoff implications
  4. Probably Minnesota. Proud history of hockey and I have a lot of friends and family still in the area. That being said, I'm really enjoying my time in Mississauga. Beautiful city, beautiful girls, great atmosphere for hockey. 
  5. Right now I'm focusing on giving my all this season. If I had to pick, Toronto and New York are probably the closest to Mississauga and the boys. 
  6. No one can discount the importance of goaltending and Rayz is a generational player. Additionally, management picked some passionate, dedicated players, who have a lot to prove. 

(sorry Rayzor)

1. I haven't gotten a chance to meet everyone yet at this point, but any addition is a good addition. I know everyone here is committed to winning, and I'm glad that we've added some more pieces to this puzzle.

2. As a defenseman, I do understand that there's probably going to be a pretty big weight on me. The general feeling around the room is that there's some relief that I'm excited to step up and help out our goalie. I'm sure management realizes the lack of depth at the position, and should be working hard to lure more defensemen to the team.

3. I'm pretty pumped to be stepping into a potential rivalry. Hopefully we can pump each other up, and bring our A-game every meeting.

4. I appreciate the immediate interest from Las Vegas, so probably there. They'll probably be in the back of my mind for the next little while.

5. I could see myself in a New York Americans jersey. I also wouldn't be mad about suiting up for the Legion either. I'll be more than ecstatic to be drafted by any team that wants me, though.

6. Only time will tell if that's true. We're only a few games into this season, there's still time to change the tides.

(sorry Rayzor)

1. Great, getting help at any position is a wonderful addition and should help flesh us out as a team even more. 
2. Well, we seem to be working on that one, and I do feel management has a plan. 
3. You mean the Mexico City Queens? Sure.... why not? It'll be even more fun we when CRUSH them. 
4. My old club, Halifax. I liked the guys there, it was a winning culture and once again, the GM treated me with utmost kindness. 
5. Well, my dream was to go to Malmo, but I ended up as a draftee of the Wranglers. 
6. Fuck him. (Not really, Ray! Love you. But seriously, you're going to put YOUR OWN CLUB LAST? BOO!) 

For the week of 5/12-5/19 (can still do last week's questions if you haven't done so already, so long as it's still the 12th):

1. Now that we've gotten a little bit into the season, with approximately average results, do you see us getting any better than average as the season progresses?

2. Recently, there's been a bit of a media buzz over our defenseman, Hulk Hogan, and his own personal rivalry with this season's #1 overall draft choice, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, who earned the all-time record for highest TPE at the time of the VHL Entry Draft. Who's better, and why?

3. Now that we've made a few defensive signings, what's our next priority, in your opinion?

4. The Malmo Nighthawks are a VHL expansion franchise which has gotten off to a (very surprisingly) great start this season. Does this prove anything for our team?

5. What's been your favorite part of the VHL so far?

6. What about your least favorite? Anything you'd change?

@Rayzor_7 @HulkHogan @No_Dangles @GlowyGoat @DoktorFunk @cody73 @mmarcoux98 @raghas @NavyCanuck @SweetMike666 @berocka @maximlab @Viknegar @HanManHimself

1 minute ago, GustavMattias said:

For the week of 5/12-5/19 (can still do last week's questions if you haven't done so already, so long as it's still the 12th):

1. Now that we've gotten a little bit into the season, with approximately average results, do you see us getting any better than average as the season progresses?

2. Recently, there's been a bit of a media buzz over our defenseman, Hulk Hogan, and his own personal rivalry with this season's #1 overall draft choice, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, who earned the all-time record for highest TPE at the time of the VHL Entry Draft. Who's better, and why?

3. Now that we've made a few defensive signings, what's our next priority, in your opinion?

4. The Malmo Nighthawks are a VHL expansion franchise which has gotten off to a (very surprisingly) great start this season. Does this prove anything for our team?

@Rayzor_7 @HulkHogan @No_Dangles @GlowyGoat @DoktorFunk @cody73 @mmarcoux98 @raghas @NavyCanuck @SweetMike666 @berocka @maximlab @Viknegar @HanManHimself

1. I do see us getting better. Most of our guys are S67 picks and we're still developing. I also think that @Rayzor_7 has some positive regression that will be coming into play here. He's one of the top Tendies in the league and I think that our team has suffered from the lack of D-men, a problem that was solved recently.
  2. Sorry @HulkHogan but I'll start comparing you guys once you enter the league. We're still earning our stripes. Anyways, Hulk's been solid for us so he deserves some props.
  3. Next priority is still defense, we should try and make it a strength from now on.
  4. I think it proves that if we can put the pieces together then we can be successful as an expansion team. Should be exciting to see where we go after our rough start.
  5. I guess my favorite part is just seeing all of the different players progress. Rayz and Hulk in particular have become pretty solid players pretty quickly.
  6. I don't think there's really issues that I'm seeing from my part. 

20 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

1. We won the past couple games, and are still adding pieces to the roster. I don't want to place any unrealistic expectations, but I think we've got something serious going here.

2. I think the choice is obvious, brother.

3. Next priority is to start stringing wins together. It's a tight league, teams are fighting for position. One good Win/Losing streak could mean a change in matchup, or an omission from the playoffs altogether. We've got a good group of guys here, we can find ways to win.

4. Totally different scenario, in my opinion. It does however prove that expansion teams can exceed out of the gate, something we're going to try and replicate this season.

5. I do enjoy the community. Everyone I've met so far has been very helpful to me.

6. It seems that there isn't a lot of communication between non-teammates. This is obviously my first team, but I feel like I've only met a very small percentage of the community. Maybe I'm just missing something, but maybe implementing some sort of chatbox for everyone to use would be kind of cool.